Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East TV Deal...or No Deal
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Some tibids I have found from other boards....

"ESPN and BE TV deal looks to be down the tubes. ESPN was offering an even smaller package for BE football than what they offered for the MWC and C-USA, but ESPN did offer to show more BE basketball games. Meaning, those 8 football playing schools may not play on national TV next season unless something is done fast. Last season, some of the lowest rated ESPN games were between BE schools and future BE schools. South Florida vs. Memphis was the lowest watched game on both ESPN and ESPN2, while South Florida vs. Pitt was the third lowest watched game on ESPN last season. Every MAC, C-USA, and MWC game on ESPN and ESPN2 outdrew those two games. "

"ESPN has presented a package for the Big East Conference; however, the deal included only showing six Big East football games on both ESPN and ESPN2, mainly on weeknights. While ESPN would increase the number of Big East Conference Basketball games shown by four."

"ESPNU will begin showing college baseball games from conferences such as the ACC, Pac-10, C-USA, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC."

Ok, what is the deal with our football TV deal? I know everything was dead, but I have heard every rumor under the sun, and it seems as if ESPN wants to push its weight to get a Big East championship football game in the future.
01-22-2005 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

The deal is currently in arbitration.

In the past, one of the reasons the Big East schedule would come later than most other conferences is because the Big East lets ESPN (and it's sister networks) choose which games they want to put on TV before the Big East actually releases the schedule.

The food chain goes:

1.) ABC
2.) ESPN
3.) ESPN2
4.) BE Game of the Week, which is ESPN REgional and usually available on ESPN Gameplan
5.) Local

Last year, it was complicated by the departing schools and the current members trying to scramble to get replacement games.

This year could be complicated by the arbitration.
01-23-2005 12:09 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Could you provide links to your sources?
01-23-2005 01:26 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Could you provide links to your sources?

-- I would also like to see a link to the quote

Quote:"ESPN and BE TV deal looks to be down the tubes. ESPN was offering an even smaller package for BE football than what they offered for the MWC and C-USA, but ESPN did offer to show more BE basketball games. Meaning, those 8 football playing schools may not play on national TV next season unless something is done fast. Last season, some of the lowest rated ESPN games were between BE schools and future BE schools. South Florida vs. Memphis was the lowest watched game on both ESPN and ESPN2, while South Florida vs. Pitt was the third lowest watched game on ESPN last season. Every MAC, C-USA, and MWC game on ESPN and ESPN2 outdrew those two games. "

-- I wouldn't be to hard on the USF/Memphis and USF/Pitt games...if memory serves both kicked off at 10:30 or 11 AM when a huge % of the country is still in bed ( even on the east coast)

-- If I recall correctly...the BE/ESPN deal has already been agreed to....just the actuall contract has not been signed yet

-- The suggestion that the BE football schools will not be on TV at all is not possible....all games between Pitt/Syracuse/West Virginia/Louisville will be on TV somewhere...so that's 8 games right there....the BE has rights to the ND/Pitt game as well as the Virginia Tech/WVU one...so that's two more for sure....Uconn will be on TV at some point...the UC/Louisville game will be on....but USF and Rutgers are going to have an uphill climb to get any kind of national TV appearance

Jackson
01-23-2005 05:17 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

Do the BE fans feel confident in their leadership? If so, don't worry about your tv deal.
01-23-2005 05:45 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:If I recall correctly...the BE/ESPN deal has already been agreed to....just the actuall contract has not been signed yet
That's why I doubt the source. A number was even given (165k per game down from 210-220k before the defections). I was pretty sure the negotiations and arbitration was over.

Quote:all games between Pitt/Syracuse/West Virginia/Louisville will be on TV somewhere...so that's 8 games right there....
And these are the games that are televised even on Saturdays competing with other BCS leagues (the most recent Pitt/WV Saturday was prime time ESPN2 for example, and the most recent WV/SU Saturday game was high noon ESPN).

Not to mention the mid week games such as UConn/Rutgers, UConn/WV, Pitt/UConn, etc. etc.

I believe the Louisville/Cincinnati game has also been on ESPN/2 the past two years.

Quote:Do the BE fans feel confident in their leadership?
I'm confident that they chose the best available candidates for expansion if that's what you're asking.
01-23-2005 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote: Do the BE fans feel confident in their leadership? If so, don't worry about your tv deal.

-- Oh yeah....TV is something this league has always been good at...the history of BE hoops/TV speaks for itself....also the BE football league was the first to have a regional game of the week for its area of the country....we've usually been ahead of the curve when TV is concerned...too bad I can't say the same about expansion :snore:

Jackson
01-23-2005 06:10 PM
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

USFBullSpit Wrote:Some tibids I have found from other boards....

"ESPN and BE TV deal looks to be down the tubes. ESPN was offering an even smaller package for BE football than what they offered for the MWC and C-USA, but ESPN did offer to show more BE basketball games. Meaning, those 8 football playing schools may not play on national TV next season unless something is done fast. Last season, some of the lowest rated ESPN games were between BE schools and future BE schools. South Florida vs. Memphis was the lowest watched game on both ESPN and ESPN2, while South Florida vs. Pitt was the third lowest watched game on ESPN last season. Every MAC, C-USA, and MWC game on ESPN and ESPN2 outdrew those two games. "

"ESPN has presented a package for the Big East Conference; however, the deal included only showing six Big East football games on both ESPN and ESPN2, mainly on weeknights. While ESPN would increase the number of Big East Conference Basketball games shown by four."

"ESPNU will begin showing college baseball games from conferences such as the ACC, Pac-10, C-USA, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC."

Ok, what is the deal with our football TV deal? I know everything was dead, but I have heard every rumor under the sun, and it seems as if ESPN wants to push its weight to get a Big East championship football game in the future.
There seems to be a constant there, South Florida. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm. The Big Easts worst mistake.

:wave:
01-26-2005 09:13 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

River City...could you provide links for those quotes please

Jackson
01-26-2005 09:41 AM
All American

I Root For:

They come from the NationalChampion Board, I wouldn't link or reference anything from that board.
01-26-2005 11:07 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

I wouldn't believe anything that someone with 4 posts brings to the board. I think we have a troll here. Consider also that he posts posts from a message board as news...Please. There is no truth to ANY of these.
CJ
01-26-2005 11:59 AM
Advertisement

UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats

Feb. 7 (Bloomberg)

The Big East Conference and Walt Disney Co.'s ABC and ESPN agreed to revised television contracts for the college sports league that will add five schools this year.

The renegotiated rights fee covers Big East football and basketball through the 2006-07 academic year, the networks and the conference said. No financial terms were disclosed. The Disney networks were scheduled to pay about $15 million a year under the
old agreements.

The old contracts, which expired on the same dates, allowed renegotiation ``when the composition of the conference changes,'' ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said in an interview.
The Big East is adding Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida in every sport, and DePaul and Marquette in all but football. The schools, now members of Conference USA, will join
the Big East for 2005-06 academic year.
02-08-2005 10:05 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Its been obvious for weeks that the football TV deal would not be good. That is exactly why they put together a big time basketball league. Why is the world do you think the NBE sued the ACC? They knew they were screwed in football when Miami and the others left.
02-08-2005 10:20 AM
djaphone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC Bearcats

TopCoog Wrote:Its been obvious for weeks that the football TV deal would not be good. That is exactly why they put together a big time basketball league. Why is the world do you think the NBE sued the ACC? They knew they were screwed in football when Miami and the others left.
Because they want to get the money they are owed from the defecting schools. Why the hell do you think we are paying C-USA for the next few years? It's not because we want to.
02-08-2005 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
All American

I Root For:

Maybe ECU could help with your tv contract. I've always heard that ECU always does well on tv. This linked info may or may not be accurate, but if it is, it should put to rest ECU's lack of tv market perception.

<a href='http://www.killerfrogs.com/cusa/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=14516' target='_blank'>http://www.killerfrogs.com/cusa/index.php?...=ST&f=4&t=14516</a>
02-08-2005 12:05 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Brick city, The problem is not your market, they need a 'name' program and right now that does not seem avilable. ECU is a good school but it does not come close to meeting the specific needs the BE has. Frankly, I think they are happy right where they are. Under the present circumstances the 8-8 deal is not bad.
02-08-2005 12:09 PM
Advertisement

All American

I Root For:

TopCoog you might be right. As I have said before, I don't think the BE will do anything as far as expansion goes until they play an entire season together as a group. If things go smoothly and there is no outside force that forces the BE to make a change, then they will probably stay "as is". Who knows? It's just fun to speculate. ECU's AD has gotten ECU fans into winning CUSA mode & let everything else take care of itself. Remember TopCoog, change is one of the few things you can count on in this life.
02-08-2005 12:17 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Pirate, I know that ECU is in a difficult travel position. During relignment we went through it and there doesn't seem to be a solution. That is one reason I hated to see Charlotte go. I do agree that change is always the rule but it is usually something we least expect.
02-08-2005 12:33 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Murph1 Wrote:The deal is currently in arbitration.
to be frank I'm getting tired of reading this line. We are six monts out from the start of the season and we are hearing nothing from the league office. This my friends is bull**** and terrible leadership. The conference needs to split now.
02-08-2005 01:27 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Big East Reaches New Agreement With Walt Disney Co. Networks
February 7, 2005 16:56 EST -- The Big East Conference and Walt Disney Co.'s ABC and ESPN agreed to revised television contracts for the college sports league that will add five schools this year.

-- UC bearcat4ever....could you provide a link for the BE TV contract media blurb....thanks in advance

Quote: We are six monts out from the start of the season and we are hearing nothing from the league office. This my friends is bull**** and terrible leadership.

-- Well it certianly itsn't good news....both parties agreed to terms in Dec and signed the deal recently but the terms haven't been releases yet....yep......that can't be good for us

-- If the TV contract is as low as many fear...it will be intersting to see what happens next.....the 16 team league hasn't played a game yet and major cracks are already forming

Jackson
02-08-2005 03:31 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.