Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ESPN takes what was left of CUSAs manhood
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

a year and is banished to playing football on tuesday, wednesday or friday nights. The Thursday night stage that was established by the conference has been co-opted and they've been kicked to the curb. Come on down Memphis. You should be looking to sell your soul to get out of that league.
01-11-2005 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

L-yes Wrote:a year and is banished to playing football on tuesday, wednesday or friday nights. The Thursday night stage that was established by the conference has been co-opted and they've been kicked to the curb. Come on down Memphis. You should be looking to sell your soul to get out of that league.
I think we offered our soul and weekly lawn-mowings...there were no takers.
01-11-2005 06:29 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote: a year and is banished to playing football on tuesday, wednesday or friday nights. The Thursday night stage that was established by the conference has been co-opted and they've been kicked to the curb. Come on down Memphis. You should be looking to sell your soul to get out of that league.

-- Ouch....soundly our deal doesn't look so bad.....I wonder how Friday night college football is going to go over in a league with so many Texas schools?

-- Only 6 bball games?? I'm shocked the # is that low......well at least memphis is guranteed 6 hoops games a year

Jackson
01-11-2005 11:14 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

Quote:I wonder how Friday night college football is going to go over in a league with so many Texas schools?
On the, err, bright (?) side, the only Texas team ESPN will probably even be interested in showcasing is UTEP.

The money is the same, but having to rely so much on CSTV (it is funny, in a way, after so many NC-USA fans dogged the MWC for making their deal with CSTV) is a bit scary.
01-13-2005 03:12 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:it is funny, in a way, after so many NC-USA fans dogged the MWC for making their deal with CSTV

-- yeah...I noticed that too....CUSA fans hated CSTV and thought it would never work when the MWC signed on....now it is this wonderous thing in there eyes...amazing

-- An honest question for you Psicosis....shouldn't you guys be a little worried about this deal...ESPN is creating its new college network for the sole purpose of competing and eventually destroying CSTV....does anyone have the feeling over there that maybe you guys are betting on the wrong horse??

Jackson
01-13-2005 07:34 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

EVERY C-USA football and mens basketball game WILL be on TV on either CSTV or ESPN...and the conference is making more money on it's TV contract than it was before...it is a hell of a deal if you ask me...in 3 years CSTV will be NATION wide...and we will be lucky to get all the exposure.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
01-14-2005 03:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:EVERY C-USA football and mens basketball game WILL be on TV on either CSTV or ESPN...and the conference is making more money on it's TV contract than it was before...it is a hell of a deal if you ask me...in 3 years CSTV will be NATION wide...and we will be lucky to get all the exposure.

-- What if CSTV doesn't exist in three years? Certainly that has to be a possibility too. ESPN/ABC as the ACC and BE....CBS has the SEC, NBC has Notre Dame...Fox sports has the PAc 10 and Big 12....CSTV has CUSA and the MWC....so youngest network also going to have the lowest quality/ least attractive schools....that is not a receipe for success

--- Well...I'm not trying to burst your bubble....its good to be happy about where your conference is headed...maybe this kind of deal will really help memphis in someway

Jackson
01-14-2005 07:26 AM
Advertisement

Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Jackson1011 Wrote:-- What if CSTV doesn't exist in three years? Certainly that has to be a possibility too.
Can you name one television station you know of that has dried up and blown away? I have digital cable and get something like 150 commercial stations. I've never spent 30 seconds on some of those channels in the two years I've had the service. I've never heard of the shows on some of the channels. I've never heard people talk about the channels. But yet, they're still there day after day, week after week, year after year. If a station becomes part of the line-up for cable providers, it's there to stay. CSTV already has agreements with the major cable providers. It will be in the channel line-ups by the start of the football season.

Quote:yeah...I noticed that too....CUSA fans hated CSTV and thought it would never work when the MWC signed on....now it is this wonderous thing in there eyes...amazing

There's a difference. MWC got a wad of cash from CSTV, no doubt. But they signed an exclusive deal with them. CUSA's deal is not exclusive. We signed with both networks. CSTV cash is mixed it with Mickey Mouse's. We didn't hop on the pretty new pony and leave our well-trained and toned Clydesdale behind. We hooked 'em both to our wagon.
01-14-2005 03:39 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

If so much of your contract is based on CSTV (the big money portion), and you aren't worried about losing the channel, why would you care about ESPN having it? If CSTV will be national a year or so from now, there should be no reason why you need ESPN.
01-14-2005 04:05 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

mlbUC Wrote:If so much of your contract is based on CSTV (the big money portion), and you aren't worried about losing the channel, why would you care about ESPN having it? If CSTV will be national a year or so from now, there should be no reason why you need ESPN.
we are simply covering all our bases...if per the wrath of god CSTV is to fold before the contract runs out we will still have SOMETHING to fall back on...i think it was a very safe move...the best of both worlds.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
01-14-2005 04:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

tufinal4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Sorry, Bird fan, you're obviously dizzy again from all that spinning of the story.

CUSA's basketball MINIMUM is six games per year. The actual number will obviously depend on how many good teams we have. The old minimum was 19; the actual number of games in 2004/05 is 42 including OOC. If we have 3 tourney teams, plus 2-3 more NIT, we will be on ESPN for basketball a lot more than 6 times. If it's 15 actual games, for example, that gives the most successful teams a shot at 4-6 games on ESPN each.

The football exposure will be exactly as before. A minimum of 10 games under both the old and new deals, with the actual count typically 50% higher than that. What's the difference between Wed. and Thurs.? This conference as it stands has had a lot more Tues., Wed., and Fri. games than Thurs. games. It's still uncontested, national exposure, and the ratings are the same regardless of the night involved. One game on Friday night every 2-3 years in a particular town isn't going to send the high school crowd galloping off the cliff. Everybody's getting used to it. In New Orleans, more than half the high school games are played on Thurs. and Sat. But, nice try on that as well.

The desire for continued ESPN, boys and girls, is to maintain exposure on the cable system in the U.S. as is. CSTV is there simply for revenue in the short term. Their exposure to actual TV viewers is low. Unless they syndicate heavily, their exposure will grow slowly, just like ESPN did.

CSTV is financially secure for the simple reason that they have a sufficient subscriber revenue stream. If they get just $1.50 per month per subscriber, with 5 million subscribers, that's $90 million per year. They just signed their biggest financial obligations ever, for MWC and then CUSA major sports coverage. The two combined are $18-19 million per year. They'll cover that cost if they just pick up 1 million more subscribers nationwide. It's not their finances, they can easily pay. It's their exposure.

So, boys and girls, CUSA gets the same football ESPN exposure, the opportunity to earn decent basketball ESPN exposure through their performance, slightly higher revenue because of CSTV's subscriber base, and whatever exposure CSTV generates through local, regional and national syndication. Given these facts (not opinions), I can't wait to read why this is still, nevertheless, a loser deal.

Now, Bird fans can go back to proclaiming their own greatness and superiority, and Memphis fans who hump the Big East symbol daily can go back to sucking Louisville and other Big East weenie.
01-14-2005 04:49 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

tufinal4 Wrote:Memphis fans who hump the Big East symbol daily can go back to sucking Louisville and other Big East weenie.
That's classy. I think you misunderstand most Memphis fans' opinions regarding both Lousville and the Big East. All Memphis fans hate Louisville. Period. Some Memphis fans could care less about the Big East and are perfectly content in C-USA.

Other Memphis fans (like me) aren't necessarily enamored with the Big East, but we want our football and basketball programs to compete on the highest level. Unfortunately, the way college athletics is today, it is hard to do that if you are not in a BCS conference. Therefore, we believe that it very important to get into a BCS conference. Realisitically, the Big East is our most viable and realistic option at this point in time. There you have it.

Just because you're happy to be in a conference considered mid-major by most people doesn't mean that others should be happy about it.
01-14-2005 05:06 PM
ULCARDINALS Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Quote: Can you name one television station you know of that has dried up and blown away?

Actually, channel 204 or 205 on Direct TV a couple of years ago used to be the CNN/SI sports channel. It went kapoot, even with the big name tied to it.
01-14-2005 06:33 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:
mlbUC Wrote:If so much of your contract is based on CSTV (the big money portion), and you aren't worried about losing the channel, why would you care about ESPN having it? If CSTV will be national a year or so from now, there should be no reason why you need ESPN.
we are simply covering all our bases...if per the wrath of god CSTV is to fold before the contract runs out we will still have SOMETHING to fall back on...i think it was a very safe move...the best of both worlds.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
God is spelled with a capital G.
01-14-2005 09:17 PM
herd of butt whoopin beef Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall

You have to consider that the MWC & CUSA are pretty confident CSTV will be national in 2 to 3 years. CUSA signed the deal with espn so we could have national exposure why cstv comes around. That is one reason why I can't figured out why MWC went exclusive
01-19-2005 07:36 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.