Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
another thought on BE football expansion
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

When I was up at Heinz field for the Backyard Brawl...I was chatting with a few Pitt fans about the BE future....One of the guys I talked to had a really good point...you know that MT is usuing all of his influence to make sure the 16 team league stays together and at the same strengthen the football side....could you live with partial ND membership....and adding one of the academies (or maybe both) for only footbal and keep the 16 team league together...Would you rather have that kind of arrangment or would you prefer an all sports league with Memphis and/or ECU??

Jackson
11-27-2004 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:When I was up at Heinz field for the Backyard Brawl...I was chatting with a few Pitt fans about the BE future....One of the guys I talked to had a really good point...you know that MT is usuing all of his influence to make sure the 16 team league stays together and at the same strengthen the football side....could you live with partial ND membership....and adding one of the academies (or maybe both) for only footbal and keep the 16 team league together...Would you rather have that kind of arrangment or would you prefer an all sports league with Memphis and/or ECU??

Jackson
There is no way a 16 team league survives, it simply won't happen. MT can't live and work forever. As long as he's in a leadership role the stability of this conference is in jeopardy imo.
11-27-2004 10:32 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Let's keep the 16-team basketball, add Army-Navy for football-only, and formalize an agreement with Notre Dame as a partial member for football. I think that league is more desirable and attractive to television than creating an all-sports league by adding ECU and Memphis.
11-27-2004 10:39 AM
pirate65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

WacoBearcat Wrote:Let's keep the 16-team basketball, add Army-Navy for football-only, and formalize an agreement with Notre Dame as a partial member for football. I think that league is more desirable and attractive to television than creating an all-sports league by adding ECU and Memphis.
Navy turned down the BE twice, when they had Miami, VaTech, and BC. why would they join now? Army, Navy and ND don't need a conference, never have never will.......thay want to schedule cupcakes,like Duke, Tulane, Northwestern, SMU, Rice, Vandy etc, and win, not WVU and get beat up. Navy is to smart, they has been playing and beating cupcakes, and will go to a bowl game for the 2nd year in a row. why give that up to get beaten up week in and week out in the BE? Army learned there lesson no more conferences for them, they got beat up in a weak CUSA. ND has seen what Navy has done, watch them load up with cupcakes, they just signed to play CUSA doormat Houston. the 12 game season mandate will force the BE to add at liest 2 football only schools.........Memphis and ECU 04-cheers
11-27-2004 05:34 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:Navy turned down the BE twice, when they had Miami, VaTech, and BC. why would they join now?

-- That simply is not true...the only team the BE had any desire to add when Miami and others where in was Notre Dame....frankly the BE didn't want Louisville when their AD made overtures in the late 90s or early 2000s.....Navy wasn't on the radar then

Jackson
11-27-2004 11:07 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Navy supposedly has turned down the BE once, and that was after Miami, VPI and BC left. Reportedly they wanted Army included as well.

The 16 team league will not work long term. Best case scenario (that actually has a chance of happening) is split from the non-FB schools, add Navy for football only, and ND as an associate member w/ 5 games a season, and BCS eligibility. That will strengthen the conference, shut up all the anti-NBE criticism, and have a killer 9 team BB conference.

2nd best case would be 9 full-time - - - - the current 8 plus Memphis - end of story.

I would be happy with either of those 2.
11-28-2004 12:09 AM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Memphis and ECU ?? Just say NO.

Next thing you'll be wanting to add TCU and Tulane.

Or perhaps Florida Atlantic?

Although I would personally like to see the football schools split off to form an all sports conference, I would have no problem in the short term of adding Navy and Army for football, with or without a partial alignment with ND. Preferably with.

With all of that said though, I have seen a billion rumors concerning ND over the last two years, and I no longer believe any of them. I'll believe it when I see the freakin' press conference.

But it's better to stay at 8 then to invite someone who just doesn't fit.
11-28-2004 08:42 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:The 16 team league will not work long term. Best case scenario (that actually has a chance of happening) is split from the non-FB schools, add Navy for football only, and ND as an associate member w/ 5 games a season, and BCS eligibility

-- I have my doubts about the idea that ND would leave the Catholic schools at all...especially Marquette and Depual....I think NDs Catholic administration and alumini would be going crazy

-- It seems to me that if we all want some kind of official partial membership from ND....staying with the bball onlys is the price we are going to have to pay

-- I can live with a football league of the 8 BE football members...Army and Navy for football only.....and ND for partial membership.....that strikes me as being as close to a traditional eastern league as we are going to get in this day and age...and our basketball identity will still be there....I can gurantee that no BE football school will leave for anothe conference if ND is on board

Jackson
11-28-2004 09:51 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:The 16 team league will not work long term. Best case scenario (that actually has a chance of happening) is split from the non-FB schools, add Navy for football only, and ND as an associate member w/ 5 games a season, and BCS eligibility

-- I have my doubts about the idea that ND would leave the Catholic schools at all...especially Marquette and Depual....I think NDs Catholic administration and alumini would be going crazy

-- It seems to me that if we all want some kind of official partial membership from ND....staying with the bball onlys is the price we are going to have to pay

-- I can live with a football league of the 8 BE football members...Army and Navy for football only.....and ND for partial membership.....that strikes me as being as close to a traditional eastern league as we are going to get in this day and age...and our basketball identity will still be there....I can gurantee that no BE football school will leave for anothe conference if ND is on board

Jackson
i disagree that no BE football team would ever leave if ND is brought on board. If the SEC decides they want to set the standard and go to a 14 or 16 team super-conference, then WVU would jump at it in a heartbeat, even if ND was a full-time BE member. Or, if the Big 10 decided to stop waiting for ND, and brought in Pitt or SU as its 12 member.

Not that I think either of those things has a remote chance of happening, but look at how bizarre the last couple years has been in college football... anything could happen.
11-28-2004 10:59 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.