Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time for a change
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Time for a change
I have discussed my opinion of our coach since he arrived.....I said Hell No then and it has just gotten stronger since. The Memphis game had to be one of the best example. I guarantee you I thought even Woj would come out the 2nd half in a zone and maybe every 5 minutes change the defense, some pressing, back to zone. We were getting beat off the dribble time after time in the 1st half, you got to go to a zone.....this isn't rocket science. Our Matador defense was pathetic in the 1st half and we were still in the game. I still haven't figured out what kind of offense we run. Since either we don't have an offense or the players don't run it......let's just turn them loose and play run and gun or something so at least the players have some fun. Any change will be for the best!!
03-05-2012 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
RE: Time for a change
I agree, I think we need a change, but I want the new AD to have the next coach already chosen when DW is let go so the players won't just ban together and jump ship. I agree with Chris Harmon on rivals that we have a lot of talent and IMO that talent is wasted in a system so rigid that they are held back. We have a dynamite freshman class coming and an opportunity to sign the best 2 or 3 kids we've signed in years, maybe decades. The new coach could come into a situation where he could have instant success if he is hired correctly and the program can have long term success from the gitgo. We need a change, but the new AD needs to understand that if things aren't handled correctly, we could lose more than a coach. IMO.
03-06-2012 12:38 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I agree we have some talent.....and with the right coach, this talent should be getting better and better.....it should have made the Big Dance this year or have been a very high bubble team. I don't really think Memphis has the talent they have had in years past(of course good enough to beat the hell out of us and our coach) but whoever the Memphis coach is, he builds their confidence and lets them play and enjoy it......the same type of ball Tulsa use to play. Our teams played with confidence for years, then Woj arrived and we became a tentative team.....the players seem to play with the idea that, I don't want to be the one to make a mistake or miss the shot. We have the talent to be a team that averages 80 points a game and wins by 15-20 points over below average teams, like we lost to this year, Houston , SMU, etc. Our good teams didn't win by 8-9 points over bad teams, we scored 100+ points and the hell with the other team if they only scored 60-70 points.....we were good and the players played like it.....the sky was the limit. The enthusiasm and chest pounding told the other team we were going to put our foot on your throat and not take it off. Our subs played with the same confidence.......and that all boils down to the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-06-2012 09:50 AM
Advertisement

rabidTU Offline
1st String

One of my tests on how well a team is coached is to see if they can run an organized fast break with good principles. I've always felt DW had no idea how to run a system like that that gets us back into a game if we're behind. His solution was alway "hit the three pointer". Well, that's more talent than scheme IMO. What's the easier shot, an uncontested fast break layup or an uncontested 3?

Memphis runs the kind of up tempo system the players love, the fans love, the TV loves and allows for improvement during the season. People say you have to have lot of talent to fast break and press. That's hogwash from the Bobby Knight school of boring ball!
03-07-2012 07:39 AM
TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
Watching the Memphis game Wojcik seemed to be trying to run a motion offense but has no real clue how to do so. From what I know you try to use motion of the players to create openings in the other teams defense. A player gets in the open area and either shoots, looks to pass inside, or drive if he has a lane. If none of those then pass out and set the motion again. Have not really seen us driving the baseline either. Walking it up the floor using the same passing patterns almost always just will not cut it. And not much but man to man defense. Just seems like the whole offense and defense very minimalist. Pretty much any coach could come up with a similiar offense and defense without much effort.
03-11-2012 08:36 AM
Advertisement

jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
In every game, that I saw, there were a NUMBER of times when a player had a wide open 12-15 ft shot but only 10 seconds had gone off the shot clock so they continue to dribble and pass the ball until they hurry to try and get a shot off.....I yelled at the TV several times, shoot, when they had that open shot....I couldn't believe it.....then they would end up with a bad shot with 5 seconds on the shot clock. I am aware some times you have to work for that good shot but it doesn't have to be after a certain number of passes......and yes, there are coaches who say, they don't want a shot until after at least 3 passes.......I'm serious......maybe Woj is one of them, I don't know. I am all in favor of moving the ball down the court and when possible take a shot before the other team can get their defense set. I actually get the feeling that in most cases, Woj's defense waits for the other team to get their defense set an then he says, OK, the defense is ready, we can start the offense.....GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
03-11-2012 11:04 AM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
It's finally over guys !!! Wojcik is gone. Time to find a new coach !
03-11-2012 02:40 PM
Advertisement

TulsaEye Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa anon
(03-11-2012 11:04 AM)jfisher Wrote:  In every game, that I saw, there were a NUMBER of times when a player had a wide open 12-15 ft shot but only 10 seconds had gone off the shot clock so they continue to dribble and pass the ball until they hurry to try and get a shot off.....I yelled at the TV several times, shoot, when they had that open shot....I couldn't believe it.....then they would end up with a bad shot with 5 seconds on the shot clock. I am aware some times you have to work for that good shot but it doesn't have to be after a certain number of passes......and yes, there are coaches who say, they don't want a shot until after at least 3 passes.......I'm serious......maybe Woj is one of them, I don't know. I am all in favor of moving the ball down the court and when possible take a shot before the other team can get their defense set. I actually get the feeling that in most cases, Woj's defense waits for the other team to get their defense set an then he says, OK, the defense is ready, we can start the offense.....GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Just watched 'The Hoosiers' on TV and the teams coach said no shots before 5 passes. 5 passes. Looked like what Woj was running.
03-14-2012 10:17 PM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

One of the things that gets me concerned about all this is how much input the players have and should have in the process of hiring. Here is my take and I'm sure that some of you will criticise my thoughts and opinions on it. Please feel free.

I think the players should indeed have some input because its really their future we are ultimately responsible for. They made a commitment to the university, they worked hard to get where they are and ultimately sacrificed for the school they now attend. They have the most at stake and should have sayso in all this instead of just being dismissed as some dumb jock. Now let me get this straight also. They are not the final arbiter and should not be. But their opinions should be viewed as a valuable asset in the process. I think they should be included in the search commitee as well as one of the biggest and best fans. They should sit in at every interview and even be allowed to ask a question or two as long as they can't monompolize the process.

In the end, we want them to understand that they have a part in this process, but also that the school that pays the coaches salary is the ultimate boss of everyone. It isn't necessarily a democracy, but democratic in the sense that everyone concerned should have a chance to "transparently" see whats happening.
03-15-2012 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
I have to "respectfully" disagree.

Regardless of who is coach, They are receiving a free education (and a damn good one at that). I dont think they should have any say so in what coach is hired. Im pretty sure there are a few walk-ons sitting the bench that would gladly take their minutes.

How many players would have wanted Bobby Knight as a coach?

I didnt get to interview my boss, and my inspectors didnt get to interview me.

Just my opinion
03-15-2012 12:13 PM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

Thats a good, well thought out view and has a lot of merit, but I just have to disagree. I don't want the players to have ultimate control over the next coach, but just want them to be in the process. I suppose it doesn't really matter, noone is going to ring my phone and ask me to "sit in". I don't even know if I'd want to, to be honest.

I just hope we come up with a better coach and super recruiter. But I'm worried we may lose some players on campus right now and coming next fall that could set back the program before the next coach gets started. I just hope we aren't looking at another major rebuilding job and giving the next coach 4, 5 ,6 years to build up the program back up.
03-15-2012 06:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.