Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: C-USA Board Chair Scott Cowen disses BCS again
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
OT: C-USA Board Chair Scott Cowen disses BCS again
In discussing the recent BCS meetings on New Orleans station WWL yesterday, Tulane President (and C-USA Board Chair/member of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee) bashes the BCS system and made some predictions about what the BCS leaders are likely to do this year:

1) The BCS is a terrible method for how the top football division picks its champion and will be modified to either a plus-one or 4-team playoff, there is still debate about which.

2) The concept of AQ should in his view be done away with and probably will be.

Of course, Cowen also said last week that the Big East was no longer a "power conference", so he's not necessarily a friend of the Big East, LOL:

" ....the Big East is no more than the old Conference USA.Every school in the Big East with the exception of Rutgers and UConn will have come from Conference USA and the Mountain West. My view is that the Big East is not a power conference, and anyone who thinks they are doesn’t know athletics. The power conferences now are the Big 12, the Pac-12, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC."
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 10:33 AM by quo vadis.)
04-01-2012 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
RE: OT: C-USA Board Chair Scott Cowen disses BCS again
You forgot the whole quote! You know, where he contradicts himself two sentences later:

"Every school in the Big East with the exception of Rutgers and UConn will have come from Conference USA and the Mountain West. My view is that the Big East is not a power conference, and anyone who thinks they are doesn’t know athletics. The power conferences now are the Big 12, the Pac-12, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC. The other thing I’ve seen is that the parity is getting much better even between the power conferences and all the rest. When I was fighting the fight back in 2003 around the BCS, the Boise States, the TCUs, the Utahs were never thought of in the same breath as the power conferences. Now, they’re all joining the power conferences because they’ve proved their way in football."
04-01-2012 11:05 AM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Exactly, the New Big East certainly has attracted the few remaining non-BCS teams that have a good shot at becoming "power" teams in the future. Things change, just ask UCLA, Washington, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, etc. We just need a couple or three teams to take off and Cowen's statement will be moot.
04-01-2012 11:14 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(04-01-2012 11:05 AM)justinslot Wrote:  You forgot the whole quote! You know, where he contradicts himself two sentences later:

"Every school in the Big East with the exception of Rutgers and UConn will have come from Conference USA and the Mountain West. My view is that the Big East is not a power conference, and anyone who thinks they are doesn’t know athletics. The power conferences now are the Big 12, the Pac-12, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC. The other thing I’ve seen is that the parity is getting much better even between the power conferences and all the rest. When I was fighting the fight back in 2003 around the BCS, the Boise States, the TCUs, the Utahs were never thought of in the same breath as the power conferences. Now, they’re all joining the power conferences because they’ve proved their way in football."

Not sure i see the contradiction? There would only be a contradiction if he was saying most or all of the schools that have moved up to power conferences have proved their way in, but the fact that he mentions only 3 schools, and schools that have all won BCS bowls the past 5 years, means he's obviously not including schools like Memphis, SMU, Temple, etc. in that grouping.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 11:25 AM by quo vadis.)
04-01-2012 11:24 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-01-2012 10:30 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  " ....the Big East is no more than the old Conference USA.Every school in the Big East with the exception of Rutgers and UConn will have come from Conference USA and the Mountain West. My view is that the Big East is not a power conference, and anyone who thinks they are doesn’t know athletics. The power conferences now are the Big 12, the Pac-12, the ACC, the Big Ten and the SEC."

I'd understand what the guy is saying, but he's still VERY far off. TCU and Utah aside, the Big East contains the very best of the ex-C-USA/MWC programs. Big difference from making a direct comparison to C-USA/MWC, especially AFTER all their best programs leave 03-lmfao

Justinslot, great point about the contradiction 04-bow
04-01-2012 11:25 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(04-01-2012 11:24 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 11:05 AM)justinslot Wrote:  You forgot the whole quote! You know, where he contradicts himself two sentences later:

Not sure i see the contradiction? He's saying there are 5 power conferences, but that the gap between the powers and non-powers has narrowed, and that a few of the former non-power schools have proved their way into the power ranks ... There would only be a contradiction if he was saying most or all of the schools that have moved up to power conferences have proved their way in, but the fact that he mentions only 3 schools, and schools that have all won BCS bowls the past 5 years, means he's obviously not including schools like Memphis, SMU, Temple, etc. in that grouping.

Quo, see all the bold points and connect the dots for the contradiction.
04-01-2012 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-01-2012 11:27 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  

Not sure i see the contradiction? He's saying there are 5 power conferences, but that the gap between the powers and non-powers has narrowed, and that a few of the former non-power schools have proved their way into the power ranks ... There would only be a contradiction if he was saying most or all of the schools that have moved up to power conferences have proved their way in, but the fact that he mentions only 3 schools, and schools that have all won BCS bowls the past 5 years, means he's obviously not including schools like Memphis, SMU, Temple, etc. in that grouping.

To help you even further...I fixed it even btr to see the controdiction...Cowen said those 3 schools were joining power conferences and the BIG EAST was no longer a "Power Confererence"...last I check Boise State was joining the BIG EAST.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 11:53 AM by Maize.)
04-01-2012 11:51 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
As much as he might dislike the BCS. It has given schools like Utah,TCU, Boise and Hawaii opportunities to play in big games. Those bowls were closed to those schools in the past. As for his Big East comment, well what can you expect from a CUSA school that has been left behind.
04-01-2012 11:52 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(04-01-2012 11:52 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  As much as he might dislike the BCS. It has given schools like Utah,TCU, Boise and Hawaii opportunities to play in big games. Those bowls were closed to those schools in the past. As for his Big East comment, well what can you expect from a CUSA school that has been left behind.

Yes! 03-lmfao I don't know know why the likes of Cowen and Thompson can't see that the BCS has actually created opportunities for ALL the conferences. As far as I can tell, only one so-called "mid-major" has gone undefeated as missed out on a BCS game in the past - Ball State a couple years ago. Was Bowden's Tulane team one too - I was thinking that was a year or two before the BCS, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think those guys are just letting the emotion from having their conferences raided get in the way of rationality. If they go back to the old system, they can forget about their teams EVER getting a shot at a major bowl game.
04-01-2012 12:23 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

If it changes to a "Plus One/Playoff Format" here is a couple of observations:

1. The Bowls would become meaningless/NIT type of deal. If it is the 4 highest rated schools that are conference champions...it is not 5 "Power Conferences" but more like 4 because the 4 leagues that are likely to get the bulk of those slots are the SEC, Pac 12, B1G & Big XII.

2. If it is 3 of the highest rated conference champions plus a "Wildcard...ie BYU, Notre Dame, Army or a conference school that is rated above the 4th Conference Champion then it becomes the "Big 3" SEC, Pac 12 & B1G/Big XII. The ACC & BIG EAST would be fighting over basketball.

3. If either happens then it more about TV Contracts and with all of the power schools from the C-USA or MWC in either the BIG EAST, Pac 12 & Big XII and with BIG EAST Basketball the C-USA/MWC either together or in an alliance TV deals will drawf what the BIG EAST will receive. Even without Syracuse/Pitt/WVU the BIG EAST if it hold together will still be the best College Basketball League in the Nation with Louisville, UConn, Cincinnati, Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Marquette, Saint John's along with the addition of Memphis & Temple. The BIG EAST as a Football league on the field would still be @ worst the 5th best Football Conference in the country.
04-01-2012 12:33 PM
broncodude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Boise State didn't join the BE to be in the 5TH best football conference, if that is what you
are striving for, count us out. We are not striving to sit at any kiddies table, lead, follow or get
the heck out of the way and hang on.

GO BRONCOS
04-01-2012 02:05 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2012 02:05 PM)broncodude Wrote:  Boise State didn't join the BE to be in the 5TH best football conference, if that is what you
are striving for, count us out. We are not striving to sit at any kiddies table, lead, follow or get

GO BRONCOS

If Boise State was in the league this year you would not win it and you will be @ best picked 3rd when you finally join in 2013.

You aint in the WAC anymore. What I mean is even in the down years it will be @ worst the 5th best behind the SEC, B1G, Pac 12 & Big XII. Hell most years the BIG EAST has been rated between 2nd to 4th from top to bottom.
04-01-2012 02:26 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

Come on. Including Boise as joining a power conference is clearly a slip of the tongue on his part, and not a Freudian one, eh?
04-01-2012 02:54 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(04-01-2012 11:52 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  As much as he might dislike the BCS. It has given schools like Utah,TCU, Boise and Hawaii opportunities to play in big games. Those bowls were closed to those schools in the past. As for his Big East comment, well what can you expect from a CUSA school that has been left behind.

Yes, the biggest beneficiaries of the BCS have been the non-AQ schools (at least since the reforms of 2004) and also the Big East.

The BCS has been far more 'inclusive' than anything that ever preceded it, at least since the NCAA lost control of football TV in 1984.
04-01-2012 02:57 PM
fresnostatebulldogfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State

Utah and TCU are part of the power conference BIG12 and PAC12. Boise should have been apart of a "powerhouse" but BE the least of the AQ conferences is the only conference to consider them and they only did so because they were at risk of losing AQ status after losing their "successful" school to the power conferences.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 03:20 PM by fresnostatebulldogfan.)
04-01-2012 03:17 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
(04-01-2012 02:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, the biggest beneficiaries of the BCS have been the non-AQ schools (at least since the reforms of 2004) and also the Big East.

The BCS has been far more 'inclusive' than anything that ever preceded it, at least since the NCAA lost control of football TV in 1984.

Say that to a Boise St fan and get ready to duck. 04-chairshot
04-01-2012 03:29 PM
Advertisement

broncodude Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(04-01-2012 02:26 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:05 PM)broncodude Wrote:  Boise State didn't join the BE to be in the 5TH best football conference, if that is what you

GO BRONCOS

If Boise State was in the league this year you would not win it and you will be @ best picked 3rd when you finally join in 2013.

You aint in the WAC anymore. What I mean is even in the down years it will be @ worst the 5th best behind the SEC, B1G, Pac 12 & Big XII. Hell most years the BIG EAST has been rated between 2nd to 4th from top to bottom.

I didn't mean that to come across so brash. Sorry my UL friend.
Just trying to say that we are "all the chips in" on this venture, the BE has to replace the ACC as the 5 conf. As for the Broncos this year,
we sure are not last years team but we are not rebuilding, we just reload, the first game in East Lansing is going to tell next years story.
If we can win, we will be the underdog, we probably run the table and make a big bowl, lose to MSU and who knows.

GO BRONCOS GO VILLE
04-01-2012 03:36 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2012 03:29 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Say that to a Boise St fan and get ready to duck. 04-chairshot

All you have to say to a Boise State fan as far as being "inclusive" is Virginia Tech/Sugar Bowl...juz say'n.
04-01-2012 04:28 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2012 02:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Come on. Including Boise as joining a power conference is clearly a slip of the tongue on his part, and not a Freudian one, eh?

Don't excuse it quo...some C-USA people say Cowen is a clown-(Not myself) and that didn't help him...slip or not the statement made no sense.
04-01-2012 04:29 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2012 03:36 PM)broncodude Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:26 PM)Maize Wrote:  

GO BRONCOS

I didn't mean that to come across so brash. Sorry my UL friend.
Just trying to say that we are "all the chips in" on this venture, the BE has to replace the ACC as the 5 conf. As for the Broncos this year,
we sure are not last years team but we are not rebuilding, we just reload, the first game in East Lansing is going to tell next years story.
If we can win, we will be the underdog, we probably run the table and make a big bowl, lose to MSU and who knows.

GO BRONCOS GO VILLE

It all good...very happy the winningnest college football program this century is joining the BIG EAST.
04-01-2012 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.