Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Farm kids no longer alowed to work on family farms?
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Farm kids no longer alowed to work on family farms?
No good can come from this.

Particularly disturbing to me is this part.
"The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-...z1t3OZbVc5

I grew up on a family farm and started working the summer I turned 12. I could write a book about all the things I learned and the positive effects it has had on my life and can't think of a single negative thing about it.
04-25-2012 07:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
RE: Farm kids no longer alowed to work on family farms?
(04-25-2012 07:20 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  No good can come from this.

Particularly disturbing to me is this part.
"The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-...z1t3OZbVc5

I grew up on a family farm and started working the summer I turned 12. I could write a book about all the things I learned and the positive effects it has had on my life and can't think of a single negative thing about it.

Which is why you won't vote for a Liberal...
04-25-2012 07:45 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
This is one of the most assinine overreaches our government has performed to date. On the one hand they say we need to address child obesity and get children more active and then they do something like this. You don't see many obese kids on farms. I grew up on a farm and still live there. I raised my own livestock which is how I bought my first car. I worked growing up and never considered any of it abuse. My friends helped my dad and grandpa put in hay which is how they earned spending money during the summer. What part of that is bad?
I'll raise my kids as I see fit and not how the government sees fit.
04-25-2012 08:00 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Progressives can't afford to have kids that know how to take care of themselves. They need them to be programmed at an early age to be completely dependent on government.
04-25-2012 08:42 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Progressives can't afford to have kids that know how to take care of themselves. They need them to be programmed at an early age to be completely dependent on government.

Hyperbole???
04-25-2012 09:35 AM
Machiavelli Offline

I grew up around Farms too. This whole episode is unfortunate and it will further alienate rural America from the D's.
04-25-2012 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Bailed Hay for 2 dollars an hour. Thought it was all the money in the world.
04-25-2012 09:38 AM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(04-25-2012 09:38 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Bailed Hay for 2 dollars an hour. Thought it was all the money in the world.

If only you had known. You deserved a living wage.05-stirthepot
04-25-2012 09:39 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
My grandpa took me to work on the farm starting when I was 8 years old (wasn't doing much at that age besides watching). I learned what hard work was doing that, and to this day I have no problem busting my ass if I need to earn a buck.
04-25-2012 09:43 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Yes.... I should of picketed Mr. and Mrs. Girwin's farm. Set-up a local and became a union steward. Could of upped the pay 4 fold!!!02-13-banana

Actually if you've been paying attention I am of the thinking that we shouldn't set a minimum wage for teens. Some of the best training I have recieved came from farm work in my teens.
04-25-2012 09:52 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(04-25-2012 09:38 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Bailed Hay for 2 dollars an hour. Thought it was all the money in the world.

The first farm work I really did was spraying beans and corn since it was really kinda hard to mess up, even for a 12 year old.
We didn't have a lot of hay, but we did raise a few hundred acres of wheat and would bale the straw and sell it to nurserys. I was running a crew of about 3-6 other kids between 13-17 years old bailing and stacking bales of straw. We all made more money in one month then our friends made all year at their jobs or from allowance.
That kind of work just instills good values in kids, teaches them about being accountable not just to themselves but to their families since their work is essential to the family income. I would bet that 85% of these kids love the work they do. Unfortunately the govt feels it knows better.
04-25-2012 10:40 AM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

The follow up article that explains some of the new restrictions which include operating a cordless drill because it is classified as a "power-take-off" powered tool. Is the govt going to come into private homes and make sure all children aren't helping their parents hang pictures, or helping their dad assemble their new playground or tree house???

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-...-chores/2/
04-25-2012 10:45 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Like I said 200..........

This stuff is just bad. Doesn't help out the cause. Just a bad idea in general.
04-25-2012 11:07 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-25-2012 09:35 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Progressives can't afford to have kids that know how to take care of themselves. They need them to be programmed at an early age to be completely dependent on government.

Hyperbole???

Not in the least.
04-25-2012 12:55 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Does this proposal apply to kids doing work on their own family (aka parents') farm?

Or does the proposal just say that kids can't be farm hands on non-family farms?
04-25-2012 01:03 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(04-25-2012 01:03 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Does this proposal apply to kids doing work on their own family (aka parents') farm?

Or does the proposal just say that kids can't be farm hands on non-family farms?

This proves you didn't read the link.

It applies SPECIFICALLY to family farms. Child labor laws would apply if it were not a family farm.
04-25-2012 01:14 PM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-25-2012 01:14 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  
(04-25-2012 01:03 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Does this proposal apply to kids doing work on their own family (aka parents') farm?

It applies SPECIFICALLY to family farms. Child labor laws would apply if it were not a family farm.

Oh, but I did.

I also read the DOL release where it specifically says, "The proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents."

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/whd/WHD20111250.htm
04-25-2012 01:25 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-25-2012 01:25 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

Oh, but I did.

I also read the DOL release where it specifically says, "The proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents."

I am most concerned about not letting 4H or another group do the training and instead mandating a government training class (more jobs and power for DC *YAY*)
04-25-2012 01:27 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-25-2012 01:27 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  I am most concerned about not letting 4H or another group do the training and instead mandating a government training class (more jobs and power for DC *YAY*)

This point I agree with.
04-25-2012 01:29 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(04-25-2012 01:25 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

Oh, but I did.

It's been revised now to address the loophols in child labor laws that allow children to work on family farms.
04-25-2012 01:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.