Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis can you trust them?
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

:D I think Memphis would probally be a good choice for the 9th football team.

03-confused But can you trust them?

:mad: After all they were the driving force behind making Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida, having to stay one more year in CUSA!

05-nono And they think Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida will support their membership in the New Big East. I think they burned to many bridges!

03-cool That's my two cents worth.
08-28-2004 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators

To quote my favorite Louisville poster:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>YAWN</span></span>
08-28-2004 10:58 PM
EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville

Wilkie01 Wrote::D  I think Memphis would probally be a good choice for the 9th football team.

03-confused But can you trust them?   &nbsp;

:mad:  After all they were the driving force behind making Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida, having to stay one more year in CUSA!

05-nono And they think Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida will support their membership in the New Big East. I think they burned to many bridges!

03-cool  That's my two cents worth.
I agree Wilkie...I don't think AD Tom Jurich or President Ramsey will vote for Memphis either. Memphis played hard ball last year, and I think they will grow to regret that mistake. When it comes time for Louisville to vote on conference expansion, I think Louisville votes no in regards to Memphis, and Cincinnati very well may do the same.
08-28-2004 11:04 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Yep, Memphis shot theirself in the foot.
08-28-2004 11:22 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

Heaven forbid someone actually looking out for the best interests of their conference...we're in CUSA now, for better or for worse, and we have to look out for our own butts. It's not our AD's of President's job to make life easier for departing conference members to the detriment of the conference we're in.

Frankly, the departing teams got off easy with regards to the letter of the contracts and agreements.
08-29-2004 01:26 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

99Tiger Wrote:Heaven forbid someone actually looking out for the best interests of their conference...we're in CUSA now, for better or for worse, and we have to look out for our own butts. It's not our AD's of President's job to make life easier for departing conference members to the detriment of the conference we're in.
I don't want to get into who did or did not stop this conference expansion from happening this year, but I'm curious about one thing. I keep hearing fans for the new Conference USA say that they wouldn't let the departing C-USA schools go to the Big East because it would be to the "detriment of the conference". How? And I say this from the view of the C-USA fans I've seen talk about this. To a man C-USA fans feel that C-USA football will be stronger with the departure of the three C-USA schools. They feel they'll have no problem replacing Cincinnati and South Florida football, and they feel that Marshall is more then a replacement for Louisville in football. On the basketball side I've seen C-USA fans, aside from Memphis fans, say that South Florida is no loss and that they're happy to see the "controversial" Cincinnati leave because it hurt the image of the conference and now they can concentrate on furthering the conference's academic image, whatever that means. UC has one of the highest GPAs and one of the better graduation rates in the conference over the last 5 years both in basketball AND football. Granted the basketball-only schools are leaving, but Charlotte and St. Louis were nudged out and I haven't heard one negative thing said about Marquette or Depaul. So, if all of that is true, then C-USA's only loss is Louisville basketball. And granted Louisville is a national name and a tradition rich Top 25 program, but how is losing Louisville basketball detrimental to the conference? Because that's basically what it comes down to, C-USA fans think that football has been adequently replaced and possibly upgraded, and this is all about football mind you, and C-USA fans have made it clear they're happy to see South Florida and Cincinnati basketball leave, at least for the most part when it comes to Cincinnati. And Marshall and Central Florida were ready to jump this year, and I'm pretty sure the WAC schools were ready to jump, so it's not like the departing C-USA schools would have left without C-USA allowing their new members in. C-USA feels they got stronger in football, got stronger geographically, and had minimal losses on the basketball and academic side, especially with the rise of UAB basketball and UTEP's good season last year. So how is letting the departing C-USA schools go to the Big East something that was "to the detriment of the conference"? I'm not ripping C-USA, I just think that the excuse that letting the schools leave early were to "the detriment of the conference" is a weak excuse. How is it in C-USA's best interest to keep the current conference together for another year instead of getting the new conference together and building on it?
08-29-2004 09:04 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

99Tiger Wrote:Frankly, the departing teams got off easy with regards to the letter of the contracts and agreements.
I wouldn't say that at all. The departing schools had the choice of paying the exit fee or scheduling C-USA schools in basketball. It wasn't about letting the C-USA schools off "easy", it was about C-USA making money. I wouldn't say the departing schools got off easy because they could have just have easily paid off the exit fee and never played any C-USA schools in basketball and everyone could have gone their separate ways. People are making this out to be "C-USA helped out the departing schools, the departing schools should be thankful for this nice deal by C-USA, they're very lucky to get his deal!" That's BS. This was a business deal. C-USA and the departing schools cut a deal that made/saved everyone money. I remember an article a few months back saying that this deal allowed C-USA to keep a good part of their current basketball T.V. money. So you could easily say that C-USA was lucky to cut a deal with the departing schools. It was either make the schools pay the exit fee and take a big hit on the basketball T.V. money, or cut a deal with the departing schools and try to recoup some of the lost money.
08-29-2004 09:06 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

99Tiger Wrote:Heaven forbid someone actually looking out for the best interests of their conference...we're in CUSA now, for better or for worse, and we have to look out for our own butts.&nbsp; It's not our AD's of President's job to make life easier for departing conference members to the detriment of the conference we're in.

Frankly, the departing teams got off easy with regards to the letter of the contracts and agreements.
:bang: You still do not understand. We forgave you for the Great Midwest back-stabbing but not twice. The first time was on us, the second time is on you! 04-rock
08-29-2004 09:06 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

Wilkie,

For someone who usually makes thoughtful posts ... you slipped with this one.

First off, Cincinnati also left the Metro for the Great Midwest. Why silent on that? In addition, after S.Carolina and FSU had announced their departures from the Metro, both Memphis and Cincinnati were quote over and over again that both willing to stay in the Metro if only one thing would happen: ADD FOOTBALL. But no, ... thanks to the pipe smoke blowing from Howard Schnellenberger and his "collision course with the national title" egomaniac rants. Remember this is AFTER FSU and USC had left.

It is also quite ironic to blame a conference for enforcing the LEGAL guidelines ... and nothing else. Even Tranghese has praised CUSA for working well. Did you really expect CUSA to be a complete doormat? GOOD GRIEF!

Meanwhile the destination conference is filing lawsuits right and left for the very same thing --- and actually lost less school (3) than they took from CUSA (5). What blatant hypocrisy and frivolous to boot. I've noticed B.C. fans quoting a theme "Shouldn't you be out suing someone?" whenever the Big East schools throw mud their way.
08-29-2004 09:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

We are just asking real questions of Memphis? If you have noticed, I support Memphis for the Big East. I think Memohis, UL and UC shouls always be in the same conference. However, I also know what I hear about Memphis from insiders.
08-29-2004 10:05 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

It is also quite ironic to blame a conference for enforcing the LEGAL guidelines ... and nothing else. Even Tranghese has praised CUSA for working well. Did you really expect CUSA to be a complete doormat? GOOD GRIEF!

I want to answer to this, though I know it's not aimed at me, and I have no problem at all with C-USA and Memphis, I love Memphis and wanted and still want them in the Big East with us. As for enforcing legal guidelines and being a doormat, my point is that it is obvious that conference expansion is going to happen, so why hold together this conference for another year? Who does it benefit? I understand C-USA being upset about being raided, trust me. When it looked like UC might not go to the BE I was upset. But people believe C-USA is stronger around the board then they were currently, especially geographically. And I have heard people say that they would be happy in C-USA if it had BCS status, so why hold this current C-USA together? Nobody would have considered C-USA a doormat if they had went on with the business of building their new conference and allowing the other conferences to do so.

Meanwhile the destination conference is filing lawsuits right and left for the very same thing --- and actually lost less school (3) than they took from CUSA (5). What blatant hypocrisy and frivolous to boot. I've noticed B.C. fans quoting a theme "Shouldn't you be out suing someone?" whenever the Big East schools throw mud their way.

There is a big difference between C-USA and the Big East. The ACC, Miami and Boston College actually went behind the conference's back and cut a deal. It might not sound like that big a deal but when you're lying to your fellow president's faces and saying you're solid with them while cutting a deal behind their back, yeah, you can expect lawsuits to fly. I would expect C-USA to do the same thing if Louisville and Cincinnati had been secretly cutting a deal with the Big East behind C-USA's back. As for Boston College, I agree partially about the Big East's dealings with them, but Boston College actually bolted the conference AFTER telling the current Big East schools and Louisville and Cincinnati they would stay. The Big East also was trying to enforce an exit fee on BC, similar to what C-USA is doing. If C-USA had let the current schools leave the Big East might have let Boston College leave. If the Big East had let BC leave they would have been stuck with a 6 team conference, and thus not an official conference. Bottomline, there was nothing to be gained by keeping together lame duck conferences like C-USA, WAC or MAC. What does C-USA gain by keeping this current conference together for another year?
08-29-2004 10:17 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Two or three bowl eligible football teams and four NCAA basketball bids.
08-29-2004 10:31 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

Cat's Claw, I can understand your thinking. I guess there's one word: Money.

In addition to geography, the departing CUSA schools to the Big East are going in large part for money and will be making a lot more of it. The remaining CUSA schools take a hit because of it. CUSA gains more money with you guys it in for one more year (which is all legal and binding by the way) than without. And message board people claiming that "we're better now than before" (which is all wishful thinking b.s. in my opinion -- we know that CUSA is better with you guys around than not and that includes football) have nada, zippo, zilch impact. As far as the conduct of B.C. and Miami, I am no lawyer but from a p.r. standpoint, the image so many have is that the Big East seems petty especially considering how they turned around and raided somebody else. Plus no one has ever given a sound reason for taking DePaul and Marquette away when the Big East only lost three schools, not five.

Wilkie, I have no idea your sources ... but I think the "grudge" thing would be very very thin. Personally I don't think my alma mater has done anything malicious at all on it. Regardless, this goes beyond personal things --- if the Big East thinks Memphis will help them, I think Memphis will be invited regardless of negotiations. If it is decided that Memphis is not in the Big East's best interests, Memphis stays in CUSA. I never liked being in a conference away from Louisville but I will say that any person with a memory from 15 years ago would certainly have a problem object to making Memphis out to be the sole 'bad guy' and 'backstabbing' regarding that Metro-Great Midwest thing (I pull against Fla. Atlantic now by the way because that is where Schnelly is) ... of course, it also means that I'm getting old to remember all that stuff, lol.

It is all bigger than Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. I also believe that if B.C. were to suddenly backtrack ... that the Big East would welcome them back with open arms. It is all bigger than human feelings, attorneys or procedures.
08-29-2004 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

This thread is a real hoot.

First off about last years stance of keeping the league together at all cost, was pure BS. Louisville offered to pay 5 M to leave on its own. But no that wasn't good enough, they (C-USA) went to the big east and wanted 15 M (Extortion Money)to let anyone leave early.

Then for those who don't know, last year when it was time for C-USA bowls to pick there schools, Hawaii chose Louisville to play in there bowl.(And Louisville had already excepted.) But then TCU refused to play in the Mobile Bowl, and Louisville was told that if we replaced TCU in the Mobile, we would get to host the men basketball tournament. So we did, and what happen? C-USA lied, and went and released that Memphis would instead host the tournament.(And is there any wonder that Louisville isn't wearing the C-USA patch.)

Louisville administration is so though with C-USA. And all the team's remaining.

Have fun in C-USA Memphis, because Louisville will not vote you in the Big East.
08-29-2004 10:48 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

<<This thread is a real hoot.>>
Yes, and your lack of credibility is an even better one.

<<First off about last years stance of keeping the league together at all cost, was pure BS. Louisville offered to pay 5 M to leave on its own. But no that wasn't good enough, they (C-USA) went to the big east and wanted 15 M (Extortion Money)to let anyone leave early.>>

<<Then for those who don't know, last year when it was time for C-USA bowls to pick there schools, Hawaii chose Louisville to play in there bowl.(And Louisville had already excepted.) But then TCU refused to play in the Mobile Bowl, and Louisville was told that if we replaced TCU in the Mobile, we would get to host the men basketball tournament. >>
Yes, Louisville acted admirably on that issue. No doubt about. And no, no one knows about that men's tournament issue because it didn't happen. Are you the President, lol? It had bounced back and forth with UC and UL for four years and wasn't going to happen again.

<<So we did, and what happen? C-USA lied, and went and released that Memphis would instead host the tournament.(And is there any wonder that Louisville isn't wearing the C-USA patch.)>>
Speaking "lied", your post of full of the same word --- multiple times.

Should we call Dionne Warwick and let her know that the ultimate psychic posts on a message board?
08-29-2004 10:55 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

:snore: 04-cheers :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
08-29-2004 11:04 AM
Advertisement

EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

Quote:Yes, and your lack of credibility is an even better one.
I don't have credibility, but i guess you do. What ever.

Quote:Yes, Louisville acted admirably on that issue. No doubt about. And no, no one knows about that men's tournament issue because it didn't happen. Are you the President, lol? It had bounced back and forth with UC and UL for four years and wasn't going to happen again.
Oh it did indeed happen, spin it anyway you like. Why do you think we went and played Miami (Ohio), it wasn't for the hell of it. Point blank we where lied too by BB.

Quote:Should we call Dionne Warwick and let her know that the ultimate psychic posts on a message board?

This isn't Internet gossip, this is indeed a real sore spot here in Louisville. If you want to blow it off as BS, be my guess, But Tom Jurish and President Ramsey isn't happy at all with what was said then done. (Again the reason where not wearing the Conference logo.)
08-29-2004 11:15 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

OK, I should not have used that credibility zinger. Bad choice.

But if you can find a link or ANYTHING whatsoever stating that Louisville was promised the conference tourney, then Jimmy Hoffa will be found the next day. That is simply too incredible to even remotely believe. This has to be the first time that anyone has ever even heard that one. And if true, it would have to be mentioned somehow sometime somewhere by someone other than a message board.

For the record, I agree with you on BB's "leadership" (or lack of) so I don't blame Louisville on that patch issue.
08-29-2004 11:24 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Sandman and I are only telling what we Louisville fans are hearing.
08-29-2004 11:26 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

Fair enough Wilkie. If the folks informing you and Sandman are accurate with this, then I would certainly understand the animousity. And BB would go beyond the incompetent flag. Devious would be a better description
08-29-2004 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.