Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big East needs better marketing
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
The Big East needs better marketing
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...agues-fate

Quote:The Big East’s efforts to combat the national media’s assessment of the league as “terrible” or “second-rate” — well, have there been any efforts?

Quote:When the 2011 Big East football race came down to the final day, with five of the league’s eight members finishing tied for first or a game out, how much celebration of the league’s furious competition was there? How much was the Big East doing to sell its uncommonly balanced competition?

There were 28 Big East football games last fall; 43 percent were decided by a seven points or less, 32 percent by three points or less. There was genuine drama in the games.

In the SEC, only 27 percent of games were as close as a touchdown, and only 12 percent as close as a field goal. Essentially, the SEC was a series of lovely tailgate parties interrupted by blowout games.

It’s no surprise the Big East administration couldn’t sell this to the public, though. It couldn’t even reinforce this message to its members.

This. So very much. The BE is a competitive league top to bottom and has no cellar dwellars (I'm looking at you, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc.) and the BE doesn't market that very well. They play exciting football and the BE doesn't market that well. This is why Marinatto had to go. This is what the BE needs to market.
05-08-2012 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: The Big East needs better marketing
That's what I was just saying on a different thread. This is probably is our only shot to get this hire right. The staff brought in needs to be very aggressive and also market to the Youth. They support Schools and are the long term future. Brand the Beast!
05-08-2012 03:03 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-08-2012 02:31 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...agues-fate

Quote:The Big East’s efforts to combat the national media’s assessment of the league as “terrible” or “second-rate” — well, have there been any efforts?

Quote:When the 2011 Big East football race came down to the final day, with five of the league’s eight members finishing tied for first or a game out, how much celebration of the league’s furious competition was there? How much was the Big East doing to sell its uncommonly balanced competition?

There were 28 Big East football games last fall; 43 percent were decided by a seven points or less, 32 percent by three points or less. There was genuine drama in the games.

In the SEC, only 27 percent of games were as close as a touchdown, and only 12 percent as close as a field goal. Essentially, the SEC was a series of lovely tailgate parties interrupted by blowout games.

It’s no surprise the Big East administration couldn’t sell this to the public, though. It couldn’t even reinforce this message to its members.

This. So very much. The BE is a competitive league top to bottom and has no cellar dwellars (I'm looking at you, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc.) and the BE doesn't market that very well. They play exciting football and the BE doesn't market that well. This is why Marinatto had to go. This is what the BE needs to market.

They've tried to advertise that. I've seen a Big East commercial advertising this. The problem is the Big East sucks at commercials. The mascot commercials are embarrassingly bad. Compare Big East hype commercials to B1G, PAC, and ACC commercials. They all talk about their prestige and history. While the Big East shows a few football highlights and says everyone's equal.
05-08-2012 03:04 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
This thread isn't positive enough
05-08-2012 03:04 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-08-2012 03:04 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  This thread isn't positive enough

Well, you certainly changed that with your Times Square sized Bearkat basketball poster. This thread now appeals to the 12 and under demo.
05-08-2012 03:10 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I agree that the Big East needs some better marketing, but emphasizing top to bottom parity and close games doesn't work with the public. They want to see elite teams. That's why the public gave so much credit to the MWC and WAC over the past few years - one TCU or Boise State and 8 other dwarfs gets a conference more attention and respect than a conference of 8 decent/good teams with no one standing out at all. The casual fan isn't going to be looking at depth - they watch and pay attention to the top 10 or 15 teams in the country and not much beyond that.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 03:33 PM by Frank the Tank.)
05-08-2012 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(05-08-2012 03:32 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I agree that the Big East needs some better marketing, but emphasizing top to bottom parity and close games doesn't work with the public. They want to see elite teams. That's why the public gave so much credit to the MWC and WAC over the past few years - one TCU or Boise State and 8 other dwarfs gets a conference more attention and respect than a conference of 8 decent/good teams with no one standing out at all. The casual fan isn't going to be looking at depth - they watch and pay attention to the top 10 or 15 teams in the country and not much beyond that.

But the SEC, and to a lesser degree the B1G, do just that all the time - tell everyone how great their conference is top to bottom every week. Yes they have more top teams, but they'll even boast that bottom feeders like Ole Miss and Kentucky (well maybe not last year) could still jump up and grab you. But you're right, the conference needs a standout to go along with that and it needs to win.
05-08-2012 03:40 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
It is important to "toot your own horn". Others won't do much of it for you - especially competitors and those riding their coat tails.
05-08-2012 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-08-2012 03:40 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  But the SEC, and to a lesser degree the B1G, do just that all the time - tell everyone how great their conference is top to bottom every week. Yes they have more top teams, but they'll even boast that bottom feeders like Ole Miss and Kentucky (well maybe not last year) could still jump up and grab you. But you're right, the conference needs a standout to go along with that and it needs to win.

That last part is key. The SEC and B1G still have those top marquee teams to combine with their perceived depth. Even then, conference perceptions are largely driven by the performance of the champion. Look at how much the ACC, Big East and even Big Ten have been bashed over the years for poor performances in BCS bowls while those leagues' records in other non-conference games are ignored. Meanwhile, the fact that the SEC has won 6 straight national championships has nothing to do with Ole Miss or even the performance of the SEC East for the past couple of years, but that doesn't matter because people just remember what happened to the very best team in the most high profile game.
05-08-2012 03:51 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
BE needs a channel to pimp the product every week. ESPN does the weekly SEC/B1G pimping while BE is largely ignored. BE needs a channel dedicated to the BE.
05-08-2012 03:54 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Let's hire the guy who does the old spice commercials.

05-08-2012 03:54 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
I just had to do this one too lol

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 04:01 PM by Kruciff.)
05-08-2012 03:57 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
The rankings of two hypothetical conferences. Guess which one is the Big East, and which one gets more national respect:

Conference 1, average rank: 39.6

Conference 2, average rank: 46.4

In case you haven't guessed, we are Conference 1. And both the media and general public prefer Conference 2. It's not fair, but it is what it is.
05-08-2012 05:46 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(05-08-2012 03:10 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Well, you certainly changed that with your Times Square sized Bearkat basketball poster. This thread now appeals to the 12 and under demo.

Another less than positive post, you should be banned from this board. We come here to read overly optimistic posts about the Big East, not your negativity.
05-08-2012 06:34 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-08-2012 06:34 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 03:10 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Another less than positive post, you should be banned from this board. We come here to read overly optimistic posts about the Big East, not your negativity.

It was a compliment, Junior. 04-rock
05-08-2012 06:39 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-08-2012 03:54 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  BE needs a channel to pimp the product every week. ESPN does the weekly SEC/B1G pimping while BE is largely ignored. BE needs a channel dedicated to the BE.

... and then we'd need more than a dozen people willing to watch it, eh?
05-08-2012 06:45 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-08-2012 06:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 03:54 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  BE needs a channel to pimp the product every week. ESPN does the weekly SEC/B1G pimping while BE is largely ignored. BE needs a channel dedicated to the BE.

All we saw on ESPN during the conference tournaments was BIG EAST BASKETBALL at MSG. If I didn't know better, I'd barely be aware they play hoops out West.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign we'd draw an audience for a Big East channel.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 06:51 PM by BigEastHomer.)
05-08-2012 06:50 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-08-2012 06:50 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 06:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

All we saw on ESPN during the conference tournaments was BIG EAST BASKETBALL at MSG. If I didn't know better, I'd barely be aware they play hoops out West.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign we'd draw an audience for a Big East channel.

Nobody questions the elite value of Big East basketball. And nobody doubts that we already get paid well for it, and that it gets outstanding coverage on ESPN.

So clearly, "Husky" was talking about Big East football. And for that, we will need to drum up viewers, somewhere, somehow. Especially now that our matchups make no sense. Houston vs. Rutgers anyone?
05-08-2012 06:54 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-08-2012 06:54 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Nobody questions the elite value of Big East basketball. And nobody doubts that we already get paid well for it, and that it gets outstanding coverage on ESPN.

So clearly, "Husky" was talking about Big East football. And for that, we will need to drum up viewers, somewhere, somehow. Especially now that our matchups make no sense. Houston vs. Rutgers anyone?

I don't see that as an issue. Ever since Boise upset Oklahoma, they've been a media darling. Houston was the media darling last year as they marched through their regular season schedule unbeaten. Everyone loves winners. That's what draws viewers.

I don't see Mississippi State vs Vandy drawing viewers despite being in the SEC. Anyone?

Again, this was in the context of a channel. A channel would be geared toward All Sports.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 07:04 PM by BigEastHomer.)
05-08-2012 07:03 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
The Big East should hire the Chief Marketing Officer of Dominos. That pizza is nasty as sh*t and yet their stock price is like $32/share.
05-08-2012 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.