Advertisement

Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: SDSU's Sterk doesn't see a return to MWC
Thanks for the link!
05-09-2012 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BE Tex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Because they are in the Big West. Boise State...not so much.
The WAC is about to lose their autobid to men's basketball unless BSU and CSUB (if invited) add baseball. Need to have 2 men's team sports at least and with football gone baseball is the only option left and they don't have enough to have 6 schools in that sport.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 04:58 PM by BE Tex.)
05-09-2012 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(05-09-2012 02:55 PM)BE Tex Wrote:  Because they are in the Big East. Boise State...not so much.
The WAC is about to lose their autobid to men's basketball unless BSU and CSUB (if invited) add baseball. Need to have 2 men's team sports at least and with football gone baseball is the only option left and they don't have enough to have 6 schools in that sport.

The WAC is in deeper trouble than that. If it doesn't retain football (and it would need to add 6 FBS all-sports teams to keep football), the only men's team sports (aside from basketball) it sponsors are baseball and men's soccer. Out of the 5 schools left (I am assuming Texas-Arlington to leave for the SBC), only two play each, and neither Idaho nor Boise plays either. NMSU would also need to add another men's sport in the conference. The WAC would need to add at least 2 more schools, and then have at least 6 who play baseball and men's soccer, as well as making sure each of their other sports has at least 6 participants as well. One other suggestion is to add men's volleyball which qualifies as a team sport and is only a 4.5-scholarship sport, so the impact to Title IX compliance is less (having to add a reciprocal number of womens' scholarships). But the whole problem with that is you're asking schools to add sports, at the behest of Boise basically, and having them spend more money they may not have.

This really is a sticky situation.
05-09-2012 03:10 PM
BE Tex Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-09-2012 03:10 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 02:55 PM)BE Tex Wrote:  Because they are in the Big East. Boise State...not so much.

The WAC is in deeper trouble than that. If it doesn't retain football (and it would need to add 6 FBS all-sports teams to keep football), the only men's team sports (aside from basketball) it sponsors are baseball and men's soccer. Out of the 5 schools left (I am assuming Texas-Arlington to leave for the SBC), only two play each, and neither Idaho nor Boise plays either. NMSU would also need to add another men's sport in the conference. The WAC would need to add at least 2 more schools, and then have at least 6 who play baseball and men's soccer, as well as making sure each of their other sports has at least 6 participants as well. One other suggestion is to add men's volleyball which qualifies as a team sport and is only a 4.5-scholarship sport, so the impact to Title IX compliance is less (having to add a reciprocal number of womens' scholarships). But the whole problem with that is you're asking schools to add sports, at the behest of Boise basically, and having them spend more money they may not have.

This really is a sticky situation.

WOW! Thanks for giving that info. I wonder how Title IX would come into play. So for BSU it comes down to 2 choices. Big West or Big East for the non-fb sports.
05-09-2012 03:16 PM
Advertisement

monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
Big West meeting next week,, Hawaii paper publishes an article saying Hawaii won't have to pay travel subs for any future members - Big West will work itself out for Boise, Boise will just have to pay
05-09-2012 03:17 PM
SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
It just does not make any sense at all for San Diego State to go back to the MWC.

I could only see that happening in two instances (and don't think either will happen)...

1. The money on this NBE TV contract ends up looking like it is going to be about $3 million per team.

2. The Big 12 invited the Aztecs in all sports.

If one of those don't happen, I don't think the Aztecs will be leaving.
05-09-2012 04:14 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-09-2012 03:17 PM)monty Wrote:  Big West meeting next week,, Hawaii paper publishes an article saying Hawaii won't have to pay travel subs for any future members - Big West will work itself out for Boise, Boise will just have to pay
That seems like the most logical route, and I get the impression the BE is willing to help with that effort.
05-09-2012 09:24 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(05-09-2012 09:24 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 03:17 PM)monty Wrote:  Big West meeting next week,, Hawaii paper publishes an article saying Hawaii won't have to pay travel subs for any future members - Big West will work itself out for Boise, Boise will just have to pay
That seems like the most logical route, and I get the impression the BE is willing to help with that effort.

PLus article today that says they're going to a 16-team hoops schedule instead of the 18-team schedule to appease SDSU.
05-09-2012 09:31 PM
BadWillHunting Offline
Special Teams

I'm royally sick of this SDSU back to the MWC rumor... and I'd like to see Jon Wilner of San Jose's paper strung up by his cajones for FALSELY releasing the same "SDSU talking to the MWC about returning.." rumor.

THREE TIMES IN 5 MONTHS.

Fool me once, fool me twice, you're full of #%^@, shut up Wilner.
03-banghead
05-09-2012 09:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.