Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dante Phillips
Bookmark and Share
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
Dante Phillips
On College Football Live today, the show noted that Phillips wants to visit Cincy, Western Ky and Miami. Phillips is a 4 star 6' 7" 270 pound dl. He was not admitted to Florida so is seeking other options.
http://florida.scout.com/a.z?s=168&p=8&c=1&nid=4636000

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 06:02 PM by rosewater.)
07-11-2012 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
RE: Dante Phillips
(07-11-2012 05:50 PM)rosewater Wrote:  On College Football Live today, the show noted that Phillips wants to visit Cincy, Western Ky and Miami. Phillips is a 4 star 6' 7" 270 pound dl. He was not admitted to Florida so is seeking other options.

Nice find. He's class of 2012 so maybe he's eligible right away if he qualifies since it sounds like he never enrolled at UF. Per one of the headlines, he wants to play right away. At his position, we might be able to accommodate that.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 06:24 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
07-11-2012 06:24 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(07-11-2012 05:50 PM)rosewater Wrote:  On College Football Live today, the show noted that Phillips wants to visit Cincy, Western Ky and Miami. Phillips is a 4 star 6' 7" 270 pound dl. He was not admitted to Florida so is seeking other options.

Saw that as well. Apparently he met NCAA standards for qualification but Florida denied him admissions for some reason. If I recall that's what happened with Adrian Witty and Michigan.

07-11-2012 06:25 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
come on in mr Phillips

07-11-2012 07:19 PM
Advertisement

ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

I Root For: The Bearcats
This would be a great pick up.

07-11-2012 08:58 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

sounds like Ole Miss might also get a visit:

Quote:Venice's Phillips loses UF appeal
ROBBIE ANDREU, Gainesville Sun
Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 6:09 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 6:09 p.m.

GAINESVILLE - Four-star defensive tackle Dante Phillips has lost his appeal to the University of Florida admissions office and is looking to enroll in another school.

Phillips learned on June 28 that he'd been denied admission to UF, although he is considered academically eligible by the NCAA Clearing House. Phillips' stepfather, Damon Wilson, had hoped UF would reconsider, but the admissions office again has rejected part of Phillips' high school transcript.

Phillips said last week that if he could not get into Florida, he would like to end up at another SEC school. He also has expressed a strong interest in Miami, a school that nearly swayed him from UF late in the recruiting process last January.

“I'm really not sure what I'm going to do,” Phillips said Monday. “I'm going to take four visits and that's about it. I'll figure it out closer to August.”

Phillips said he will visit Cincinnati, Western Kentucky, Miami and “one other big school in the SEC.” He would not name the SEC school, although he has been in contact with Ole Miss.

fwiw:

Quote:Dante Phillips Update: Dante Phillips' Stepfather Tells CaneSport That Phillips Wants to Be at Miami

A little background on Dante Phillips, since we haven't covered him much yet. Phillips is a four-star recruit from the 2012 class, rated by Rivals as follows: No. 9 defensive tackle, No. 24 player in the state of Florida, No. 120 player overall. Phillips committed to the University of Florida, but was officially denied entry to the school on July 2. Since that point, Phillips has been looking for a new school, with no limitations regarding which schools he can choose from. He is, essentially, back to being a free agent, with the caveat that some schools are currently tapped out of scholarships.

So, why did Florida deny his enrollment? Well, no one exactly knows. The school, to the best of my knowledge, has not (and will not) comment. The same goes for Gators head coach Will Muschamp. Both Phillips and his stepfather Damon Wilson said they were told by Muschamp that Phillips was denied on an academic basis, but have expressed frustration over the vagueness of details beyond that.

Phillips told ESPN's Gator Nation the following:

I just know that Muschamp told me that admissions wouldn't admit me. I'm not sure how. I'm not sure why.

(via Gator Nation)

Wilson told CaneSport the following:

The appeal process (at Florida) was not what they told us; we just haven't been able to get it out of them (exactly why he was rejected).

(via CaneSport)

But Wilson also told CaneSport that they-- Phillips and his family -- want to be at Miami, saying:

Right now we're just trying to get into Miami - if we get everything straight with Miami we'll be at Miami.

(via CaneSport)

How is this possible? Good question! Let's try and figure it out...

The thing about Phillips is that, according to him and his stepfather, everything has been okayed by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Per Wilson, Phillips' GPA is borderline, but his test scores are high enough for him to be admitted. Whether or not all of that is true is unverifiable, but it's hard to imagine that both the Phillips group and Miami's staff would waste their time pursuing Miami as an option if there wasn't a solid chance of Phillips being admitted. Miami's admissions standards are, at worst, on par with Florida's, so the question remains: how could Phillips get into Miami but not UF?

Well, here is Phillips' stepfather once again, telling CaneSport his theory as to why Phillips was denied entry to UF:

I felt it was a battle between their admissions and athletics, and admissions wanted to flex their muscles and put athletics back in their place. That's my position.

(via CaneSport)

That could be entirely true. Now, most people would respond by saying that if Will Muschamp wants to get a borderline kid into school at UF, then Will Muschamp is going to get a borderline kid into school at UF. (Which very well may happen with Jonathan Bullard and Dante Fowler Jr., two higher ranked defensive line recruits from the 2012 class who have yet to qualify but are expected to make it into UF.) That is also true, but it's possible in Phillips' case, that Muschamp didn't want Phillips to get into UF that badly. Phillips was an Urban Meyer commit -- in fact, he committed to UF back in October 2010. UF is also stacked on the defensive line, with literally more five-star recruits than can play at one time, unless Muschamp decides to roll out a full-time six-man defensive line. So it seems possible -- if not likely -- that Muschamp decided that he didn't need Phillips that badly, he wasn't his kid to begin with, and that he would have more important battles to fight with the admissions office down the line. Thus, Phillips gets a pat on the back and a wince.

Miami, on the other hand, is comically thin on the defensive line for a program that aspires to play on a national stage. The Canes don't even have six five-star recruits on the team, let alone at one position group. One likely starting defensive end is a converted middle linebacker. You get the idea. Long story short(er): this is a battle that Al Golden could, and should, fight with his admissions office, if it comes to that. Phillips is expendable to UF, but not to Miami.

The complication is getting Phillips a scholarship. By my count, Miami would have just enough room under the max of 85 scholarships to fit Phillips in. That said, someone like Danny Dillard may be asked to step aside. Phillips wants to be at Miami, and Golden and his staff should do everything in their power to get him there.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 09:14 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
07-11-2012 09:08 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

signs with Tennessee:

07-20-2012 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.