Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt's season may turn on the Syracuse game.
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Pitt's season may turn on the Syracuse game.
I fully expect to get steamrolled by VT this weekend. That will put us at 0-3. I assume (perhaps mistakenly) that we can beat Gardner Webb. Then we have an extra week to get ready for the Cuse. if we win there we are 2-3 and still have a chance to salvage (6-6) the season. if we lose there we are 1-4 and I can't see us finishing 5-2.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Tapatalk2.
09-10-2012 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Pitt's season may turn on the Syracuse game.
(09-10-2012 10:38 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I fully expect to get steamrolled by VT this weekend. That will put us at 0-3. I assume (perhaps mistakenly) that we can beat Gardner Webb. Then we have an extra week to get ready for the Cuse. if we win there we are 2-3 and still have a chance to salvage (6-6) the season. if we lose there we are 1-4 and I can't see us finishing 5-2.

I hate to say this to a Pitt fan because they are now my favorite fans tto root for after SU, but be prepared to be 1-4. This team has some pent up emotions from losing to Pitt the last 8 years. Pitt is the only BE team that SU hasnt beaten since Marrone took over, besides Uconn.
09-10-2012 10:45 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Cuse also has a bye before Pitt...Cuse is very tough for night games...I expect Cuse to be 2-2 and having over 45k fans that night. If the Dome gets 43k or more fans it hits critical mass and becomes deafening. I see Cuse beating Pitt before a packed, loud crowd.
09-10-2012 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

I Root For: FSU/UD/UK/FIU
In true ACC fashion, Pitt will probably win convincingly.
09-10-2012 11:32 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
IMO, Syracuse will be a slight favorite at home vs. Pitt.

The REAL turning point will be Louisville @ Heinz Field.
Win that and you can still finish 6-6
09-11-2012 05:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I fully expect Pitt to go 1-11 or 2-10 this year.
09-11-2012 07:31 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I'd be shocked if Pitt goes 1-11 or 2-10.

1-11 means they lose to either Gardiner-Webb or Buffalo and go 0-7 in Big East.
2-10 means they either lose to Gardiner-Webb or Buffalo and then 6/7 Big East schools, or just go 0-7 in Big East.

I think Pitt's too good for either one of those.
09-11-2012 07:56 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

(09-11-2012 07:56 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I'd be shocked if Pitt goes 1-11 or 2-10.

2-10 means they either lose to Gardiner-Webb or Buffalo and then 6/7 Big East schools, or just go 0-7 in Big East.

If you can lose at home to YSU, then you can lose to all BE teams.
09-11-2012 08:37 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2012 07:31 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  I fully expect Pitt to go 1-11 or 2-10 this year.
As I see it,
... 7-5 is still more likely than 1-11.
... 6-6 is more likely than 2-10

Pitt may lose to both Va Tech AND Syracuse and still finish 6-6 or 7-5.

Winnable games remaining:
Code:
Pittsburgh Panthers
date    Opponent
----    ----------------
09/22  Gardner-Webb (very winnable)
10/05  at Syracuse (winnable, but not favored)
10/13  Louisville (possibly favored by then)
10/20  at Buffalo (very winnable)
10/27  Temple (winnable, but close)
11/03  at Notre Dame (LOSS)
11/09  at Connecticut (winnable, but not favored)
11/24  Rutgers (winnable)
12/01  at South Florida (winnable, but not favored)
09-11-2012 08:37 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I'd be surprised if Pitt would be favored over Louisville. I know it's at Pitt, but if Pitt is like 1-4 at that point, they're not going to be favored over a team that likely would be top 25 at that point.
09-11-2012 08:43 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2012 08:43 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Pitt would be favored over Louisville. I know it's at Pitt, but if Pitt is like 1-4 at that point, they're not going to be favored over a team that likely would be top 25 at that point.

I'm sorry, I should've clarified - I didn't mean favored by Vegas (clearly that will not be the case unless Louisville just falls apart the next few weeks). I meant favored by power rating computers...
09-11-2012 08:45 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(09-11-2012 08:45 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-11-2012 08:43 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Pitt would be favored over Louisville. I know it's at Pitt, but if Pitt is like 1-4 at that point, they're not going to be favored over a team that likely would be top 25 at that point.

I'm sorry, I should've clarified - I didn't mean favored by Vegas (clearly that will not be the case unless Louisville just falls apart the next few weeks). I meant favored by power rating computers...

Just looking at Sagarin right now, Louisville is the top BE team and Pitt is the worst BE team. If Pitt is 1-4 by then, they won't be much stronger than where they are right now. Louisville if they're undefeated by then will be 5-0 and have wins over UNC and Southern Miss(and Kentucky). I just don't see Pitt getting close enough to where the home field would make the difference. Pitt would have losses vs FCS team, Cincy, VT, and Syracuse. Louisville would be in the top 20 in the computers, Pitt would be in the 80ish range.
09-11-2012 08:54 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
Re: RE: Pitt's season may turn on the Syracuse game.
(09-11-2012 08:37 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  
(09-11-2012 07:56 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I'd be shocked if Pitt goes 1-11 or 2-10.

If you can lose at home to YSU, then you can lose to all BE teams.

Losing your opening game to a very good FCS opponent when you are installing new offensive and defensive schemes for the second time in two years isn't a shock. Not improving enough to win a couple of games in the BE would be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
09-11-2012 12:19 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Sorry, Syracuse will win and be on it's way to a 9-3, Big East Championship, season. 05-stirthepot
09-11-2012 02:11 PM
rc79 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-10-2012 10:45 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 10:38 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I fully expect to get steamrolled by VT this weekend. That will put us at 0-3. I assume (perhaps mistakenly) that we can beat Gardner Webb. Then we have an extra week to get ready for the Cuse. if we win there we are 2-3 and still have a chance to salvage (6-6) the season. if we lose there we are 1-4 and I can't see us finishing 5-2.

I hate to say this to a Pitt fan because they are now my favorite fans tto root for after SU, but be prepared to be 1-4. This team has some pent up emotions from losing to Pitt the last 8 years. Pitt is the only BE team that SU hasnt beaten since Marrone took over, besides Uconn.

Like most LONG winning streaks this may come to an end but regardless, I can see us winning 5 or 6 games anyway. In a way, if Syracuse can't win this year, you're really bad. Given the spot on the schedule, etc.

It's certainly a good spot although Pitt also has two weeks off so there's no advantage there. I'll get a little more sense of Syracuse when you head to Minnesota. They're actually winning games and Jerry Kill is a good coach. I figured that to be like a MAC opponent but maybe not now.

I'd also remind some that 2 seasons ago Pitt got off to a similarly horrible start, actually headed to Syracuse as an underdog, and won by 30ish. As amazing as it sounds, Tino has won the statistical tale of the tape if you look at head to head with Nassib. They also currently have a similar QPE. It's hard to accept in the face of Tino bashing but the numbers are the numbers.

I more worried about VPI right now and turning our fundamental performance around, as I know our players are more talented than they've looked. Too much transition friction up to this point.
09-11-2012 05:20 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
I think Pitt beats UBuffalo, Gardner-Webb, Temple, and maybe one more team (not USF I want them to be ranked when we kill them on Senior Day at the U!!).
09-11-2012 08:43 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(09-11-2012 05:20 PM)rc79 Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 10:45 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Like most LONG winning streaks this may come to an end but regardless, I can see us winning 5 or 6 games anyway. In a way, if Syracuse can't win this year, you're really bad. Given the spot on the schedule, etc.

It's certainly a good spot although Pitt also has two weeks off so there's no advantage there. I'll get a little more sense of Syracuse when you head to Minnesota. They're actually winning games and Jerry Kill is a good coach. I figured that to be like a MAC opponent but maybe not now.

I'd also remind some that 2 seasons ago Pitt got off to a similarly horrible start, actually headed to Syracuse as an underdog, and won by 30ish. As amazing as it sounds, Tino has won the statistical tale of the tape if you look at head to head with Nassib. They also currently have a similar QPE. It's hard to accept in the face of Tino bashing but the numbers are the numbers.

I more worried about VPI right now and turning our fundamental performance around, as I know our players are more talented than they've looked. Too much transition friction up to this point.

That is why we need to be patient with Paul Chryst... Jerry Kill in year two has the gophers playing much better and now poeple are remembering that he is a good coach. A year ago, poeple were calling for his head in year one.
09-12-2012 01:28 AM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
Re: Pitt's season may turn on the Syracuse game.
It now looks like this could be a pivotal game for the Cuse. Pitt seems to have righted the ship and is headed in the right direction. The Cuse is struggling to get there. If Pitt wins, Syracuse is sitting at 1-4 and probably out of bowl consideration. If Cuse wins Pitt's momentum comes to a screeching halt and both teams are sitting at 2-3. This could be a death knell for Pitt's season. With Louisville on tap after, Pitt would be looking at a 2-4 start. After watching the progress of the last two weeks, I think Pitt wins. Of course I thought we'd beat YSU too.

09-23-2012 10:31 AM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
pivotal game coming off bye week when we should have are all conference OT back so we can put our current rt on the bench where he belongs
09-23-2012 08:49 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
syracuse has rutgers and uconn following the pitt game as long as we dont play stupid like we did vs minnesota we can play with each of them
09-23-2012 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.