Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On SMU's recent struggles and BE future...
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU / BEast
I posted this on our SMU forum...

Quote:Qualifier: I am a passionate SMU fan and recent grad. I desperately want to see SMU relevant and consistantly ranked. I believe we are a football school at the core. If and when things lock into place, it will be wild and amazing.

The big picture: I think to understand football, you need to consider the input into a football program. In conference USA, there was a medium to low standard of football excellence. The revenue and media attention is very small. CUSA is not a big boy conference. We profitted a mere 1million from being a member in CUSA. As we go to the big east in 2013, we are entering a big boy conference. We are lucky to be included, especially in all sports. The money going into our programs will be significant. We stand to profit 10-20 million more than CUSA! With that massive influx, we will be investing that into coaching, recruiting, and facilities. Also, the money we were using to cover our athletic deficit every year will go to educational things - and rightfully so.

This year: This year has no bowling written all over it. No one would of guessed we would lose to Tulane. But there is a huge benifit from this game. June Jone's had very very obvious coaching mistakes. He has not recruited well. He does not have passion for this team anymore. It is time the school notices it, I think we all cannot deny it at this point. I think this was the defining end to his time at SMU. It is great that our school has raised expectations now. If we look to Texas A&M, they have struggled with coaches for a long time, and had very high expectations. No more "death penalty" talk please. That is history and we are past it and can / should / deserve to expect a competitive season every year.

With JJ gone, our program can move again in the right direction. The next hire will be very very important. We need someone that invests in our program and CARES. When we become competitive and victorious on the gridiron again, we will know that we deserve national respect - having competed in a top conference (despite the recent attacks on the BE).

We have the right formula for growth FINALLY. SMU's athletic and national presence will flourish more now, then ever before - I believe. Our focus is much simplier now. We can better make the decisions which result in success academically and athletically.

Over and out

We need a good new coach who can INVEST in SMU. Do we go for an up and coming new guy? Bobby Petrino? This is the question...
10-15-2012 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
RE: On SMU's recent struggles and BE future...
(10-15-2012 12:19 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  I posted this on our SMU forum...

Quote:Qualifier: I am a passionate SMU fan and recent grad. I desperately want to see SMU relevant and consistantly ranked. I believe we are a football school at the core. If and when things lock into place, it will be wild and amazing.

The big picture: I think to understand football, you need to consider the input into a football program. In conference USA, there was a medium to low standard of football excellence. The revenue and media attention is very small. CUSA is not a big boy conference. We profitted a mere 1million from being a member in CUSA. As we go to the big east in 2013, we are entering a big boy conference. We are lucky to be included, especially in all sports. The money going into our programs will be significant. We stand to profit 10-20 million more than CUSA! With that massive influx, we will be investing that into coaching, recruiting, and facilities. Also, the money we were using to cover our athletic deficit every year will go to educational things - and rightfully so.

This year: This year has no bowling written all over it. No one would of guessed we would lose to Tulane. But there is a huge benifit from this game. June Jone's had very very obvious coaching mistakes. He has not recruited well. He does not have passion for this team anymore. It is time the school notices it, I think we all cannot deny it at this point. I think this was the defining end to his time at SMU. It is great that our school has raised expectations now. If we look to Texas A&M, they have struggled with coaches for a long time, and had very high expectations. No more "death penalty" talk please. That is history and we are past it and can / should / deserve to expect a competitive season every year.

With JJ gone, our program can move again in the right direction. The next hire will be very very important. We need someone that invests in our program and CARES. When we become competitive and victorious on the gridiron again, we will know that we deserve national respect - having competed in a top conference (despite the recent attacks on the BE).

We have the right formula for growth FINALLY. SMU's athletic and national presence will flourish more now, then ever before - I believe. Our focus is much simplier now. We can better make the decisions which result in success academically and athletically.

Over and out

We need a good new coach who can INVEST in SMU. Do we go for an up and coming new guy? Bobby Petrino? This is the question...

I would look at Kliff Kingsbury, not saying he should get the job but I would look at him at the very least. Sonny Dykes is another one I would look at.
10-15-2012 12:34 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
SMU should hire Paul Petrino, who is currently the Arkansas OC! He is a good coach, who has better moral person than his brother, Bobby! 07-coffee3
10-15-2012 12:37 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Tennessee's Derek Dooley will also be available and I think he is a fine coach who inherited a tough situation and impatient Vol fans. No matter, I am confident that SMU will be fine in the future.
10-15-2012 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Achilles Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uconn and ACC
smu will win big east in three year with texas recruiting[/align]
10-15-2012 12:51 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

03-phew I think you mouth is writing checks that your @ss cannot cash! 07-coffee3
10-15-2012 12:53 PM
Advertisement

cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
Paul Petrino is a good choice Wilkie....Better not tell UK.
10-15-2012 12:56 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Very true! 04-cheers
10-15-2012 01:06 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Well, Larry Brown just landed us a 4* basketball recruit

Head coach Larry Brown, Jerrance Howard and SMU have scored a huge verbal from the state of Illinois and have landed Proviso East star Sterling Brown.

Brown, a 6'4 wing, is one of the most versatile prospects in the country for the 2013 recruiting class and is the younger brother of Phoenix Suns star Shannon Brown.

Brown committed while on his official visit to the SMU campus this weekend.

Brown competed on the travel team circuit with the Mac Irvin Fire and was instrumental as a junior in leading Proviso East to an undefeated regular season before they fell in the 4A state title game to Jabari Parker and Chicago Simeon.

He is a huge recruiting get for SMU and is likely the first of many Illinois prospects to land in Dallas with Howard and former Illinois State head coach Tim Jankovich on staff.
10-15-2012 01:08 PM
Comet Offline
All American

All I know is that SMU is going to be competing against programs such as Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas (more than likely), Syracuse, Cal, and others for coaches. IF we're serious about the future, better let June go, promote someone to interim head coach, and start the dialog with potential coaches now. Waiting is only going to net SMU potential "diamond in the rough" type of candidates as opposed to Sonny Dykes, Kirby Smart, Chad Morris, Bobby Petrino, and so on and son.
10-15-2012 01:10 PM
Boise fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
While I think a head coach is the major position to solidify, you can't forget the assistant coaches. Brent Pease, formerly with Boise State, took our system to Florida and now look how the Gators are doing. So SMU and other struggling schools need to put the main piece in position but also have to give him the tools he needs (asst coaches) that can develop the different aspects of the team to compliment the Head Coach.

With the influx of cash, it would certainly give SMU the ability to hire better coaches who want to make their mark. Best of luck!
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 01:39 PM by Boise fan.)
10-15-2012 01:38 PM
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(10-15-2012 12:38 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Tennessee's Derek Dooley will also be available and I think he is a fine coach who inherited a tough situation and impatient Vol fans. No matter, I am confident that SMU will be fine in the future.

I think that would be a good choice for SMU as well.
10-15-2012 02:24 PM
Dimwhit Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
June Jones is never a good long-term hire. Never.
10-15-2012 05:59 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-15-2012 01:08 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Well, Larry Brown just landed us a 4* basketball recruit

Head coach Larry Brown, Jerrance Howard and SMU have scored a huge verbal from the state of Illinois and have landed Proviso East star Sterling Brown.

Brown, a 6'4 wing, is one of the most versatile prospects in the country for the 2013 recruiting class and is the younger brother of Phoenix Suns star Shannon Brown.

Brown committed while on his official visit to the SMU campus this weekend.

Brown competed on the travel team circuit with the Mac Irvin Fire and was instrumental as a junior in leading Proviso East to an undefeated regular season before they fell in the 4A state title game to Jabari Parker and Chicago Simeon.

He is a huge recruiting get for SMU and is likely the first of many Illinois prospects to land in Dallas with Howard and former Illinois State head coach Tim Jankovich on staff.

Niccccccccccccccce get by Larry Brown!!!! Rivals 150!! Congrats Pony fans!!!!
10-15-2012 06:22 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
With the right coach, SMU should do well. the FB program should be as competitive as Northwestern and Stanford. Texas is the richest recruiting area in the nation (in terms of the number of recruits), and we have so much to offer (great academics, a beautiful campus, a great city, mild weather, etc.).

SMU should easily get the recruits just a half-notch lower than those that go to Texas and OU. That's how TCU's program grew. All we have to do is get a good coach and follow their plan, with some minor modifications.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 08:12 PM by UConn-SMU.)
10-15-2012 08:11 PM
CokeSlurpee711 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & the AAC
If Texas struggles to the finish Mack Brown? Any interest? What about an oldtimer like the football version of Larry Brown? Solich? I have no idea.
10-15-2012 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

krux Offline
Banned

I would get Bobby Petrino. He might only stay 3-4 years but he'll put you guys in a better position to make a better hire.
10-15-2012 08:51 PM
Pony94 Offline

Mack is making over $5 million this year
10-15-2012 08:52 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(10-15-2012 08:51 PM)krux Wrote:  I would get Bobby Petrino. He might only stay 3-4 years but he'll put you guys in a better position to make a better hire.

This. No one can defend the man's morality, ethics or personality, but he is a top notch football coach and one of the elite offensive minds in college football.
10-15-2012 09:12 PM
CokeSlurpee711 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF & the AAC
(10-15-2012 08:52 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Mack is making over $5 million this year
Wow no wonder they want him gone. LOL. Maybe Barry Switzer is more like Larry Brown? Gailey if he gets let go by the Bills after the season? I don't know. Think they need a perceived steady hard work old school splash guy like GOL. Mr. Cool Guy offense wanting to leave for ASU with his leis needs to win avoid further embarrassment.
10-16-2012 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.