Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East now allowed to negotiate TV deal with CBS
ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
Big East now allowed to negotiate TV deal with CBS
Brian_Ewart

Quote:By the way, Mike Aresco told me that he is also allowed to negotiate with CBS right now. Exclusive window is for CBS AND ESPN.
10-17-2012 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big East now allowed to negotiate TV deal with CBS
(10-17-2012 01:17 PM)ollin Wrote:  Brian_Ewart

Quote:By the way, Mike Aresco told me that he is also allowed to negotiate with CBS right now. Exclusive window is for CBS AND ESPN.

Thats probably true for their Basketball package...since the Big East had TV contracts with both CBS and ESPN for Basketball.
10-17-2012 01:19 PM
Boise fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
Interesting...but I would be surprised if they haven't already had some preliminary discussions with NBC & Fox & whoever else showed interest. The "exclusive window" has half a month left, so the others must be beginning to practice their pitches!

I doubt anything will be decided during the window. They'll wait to hear what the other interested parties have to say.
10-17-2012 08:19 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
saw this tweet earlier, wouldn't one imagine it is limited to bball?
10-17-2012 08:36 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-17-2012 08:36 PM)monty Wrote:  saw this tweet earlier, wouldn't one imagine it is limited to bball?
That's a 10-4.
10-17-2012 08:38 PM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Must be for BB only. Wouldn't think BE would want to separate BB and FB packages again.

I always thought CBS bought their games from ESPN.
10-17-2012 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
The Big East has had a contract with CBS for over 30 years - CBS was long the home of the Big East Tournament before ESPN bought the rights in the last decade.

Big East will be better served with some form of piecemeal deal with various parts of their contract on a bunch of networks... more exposure, better placement spread out, and bidding networks against each other. The Big East will follow the lead of PAC 12, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, even A10 and maximize money with multiple media partners.
10-18-2012 12:44 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

I Root For: Memphis
The Big East needs to get a deal that does two things:

1) Makes the most money for its member schools. Anything less than $15M per all-sports teams would be a disappointment.
2) Maximizes exposure. We don't need to get stuck on hard-to-find cable channels.
10-18-2012 12:46 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
(10-18-2012 12:46 AM)TOGC Wrote:  The Big East needs to get a deal that does two things:

1) Makes the most money for its member schools. Anything less than $15M per all-sports teams would be a disappointment.
2) Maximizes exposure. We don't need to get stuck on hard-to-find cable channels.

Agree 100%
10-18-2012 12:52 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(10-18-2012 12:46 AM)TOGC Wrote:  The Big East needs to get a deal that does two things:

Well which one is more important? Do you take more money and get buried or take less and get better tv time? I say the latter.
10-18-2012 08:41 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-18-2012 08:41 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Well which one is more important? Do you take more money and get buried or take less and get better tv time? I say the latter.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If a network is willing to make a significant financial investment in the Big East, then the best way for them to get a return on that investment is to promote the conference heavily with maximum exposure.
10-18-2012 08:44 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-18-2012 08:44 AM)TOGC Wrote:  

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If a network is willing to make a significant financial investment in the Big East, then the best way for them to get a return on that investment is to promote the conference heavily with maximum exposure.

Except the guys with the most money us espn and they will not give us the best exposure. I bet there is no way we get top dollar and the best tv exposure.
10-18-2012 08:47 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-18-2012 08:47 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Except the guys with the most money us espn and they will not give us the best exposure. I bet there is no way we get top dollar and the best tv exposure.

At the end of the negotiating window, the Big East is going to play the networks against each other. Unless ESPN is willing to thrown ACC/Pac 12 money at the Big East to end the bidding, there's no guarantee they will be our television partner.
10-18-2012 08:56 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
We are going to get both.

Both football and basketball will be spread over multiple networks.

One network WILL NOT have one of those sports exclusively.

Because of this we will be able to MAXIMIZE our TV $, and still get excellent exposure on prime Saturday time slots.

Will there be a weekday game each week as well? Sure, but that is only 1 game a week, and will be used to MAXIMIZE our deal. The BE will still get prime time slots on Saturdays as well.

It will be the best of both worlds.
10-18-2012 08:59 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(10-18-2012 08:56 AM)TOGC Wrote:  

At the end of the negotiating window, the Big East is going to play the networks against each other. Unless ESPN is willing to thrown ACC/Pac 12 money at the Big East to end the bidding, there's no guarantee they will be our television partner.

You think that espn will have to throw at us the sane amount as the largest tv contract in college sports??? I'm an optimist but that's just silly. You say ACC/PAC like they are similar but they are not even close. The PAC has the most money coming in each year and the ACC has the least of the five AQs who already negotiated contracts. No one is giving us PAC level money. Sorry to burst your bubble. Also, we'll prob have to take a little less money for better visibility. Sorry again guys, no one is giving us everything we ever hoped and dreamed for. This is the real world, there is a give and a take. Lets be realistic here.
10-18-2012 10:07 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(10-17-2012 09:08 PM)Orange Eagles Wrote:  Must be for BB only. Wouldn't think BE would want to separate BB and FB packages again.

I always thought CBS bought their games from ESPN.

The packages have to be seperate due to membership makeup. But the actual agreements last time were negotiatied together even though the deals were written separately. CBS just has an agreement with the Big East like they do with other conferences to buy tier one games, which is what is liekly beign negotiated. That said, since they can talk, it does not mean they can only talk what the current deal is for. They can legally talk about any new deals.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 12:05 PM by adcorbett.)
10-18-2012 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-18-2012 10:07 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(10-18-2012 08:56 AM)TOGC Wrote:  
(10-18-2012 08:41 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Well which one is more important? Do you take more money and get buried or take less and get better tv time? I say the latter.

You think that espn will have to throw at us the sane amount as the largest tv contract in college sports??? I'm an optimist but that's just silly. You say ACC/PAC like they are similar but they are not even close. The PAC has the most money coming in each year and the ACC has the least of the five AQs who already negotiated contracts. No one is giving us PAC level money. Sorry to burst your bubble. Also, we'll prob have to take a little less money for better visibility. Sorry again guys, no one is giving us everything we ever hoped and dreamed for. This is the real world, there is a give and a take. Lets be realistic here.

You do realize that we have the guys who negotiated the Pac 12 contract on salary, right?

And that our commissioner is a former VP at CBS Sports, right?

And that there are three current and one new Big East team ranked in the top 25, right?

And that the new conference configuration will cover a dozen of the top television markets in four time zones, right?

And that the Big East is the last major conference that hasn't been locked up in a long term deal, right?

And that multiple networks will be bidding because we have the inventory that they need for programming?

We'll get paid pretty well when the deal is done.
10-18-2012 11:56 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Three things I almost feel are locks at this point.

1. Contract will be split
2. ESPN will have weeknight (Thursday & Friday) Big East football games on all platforms ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU
3. CBS and ESPN will retain a large part of the basketball contract.
4. Its going to be NBC or Fox with ESPN but not both for football on Saturdays.
10-18-2012 12:11 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-18-2012 12:11 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Three things I almost feel are locks at this point.

2. ESPN will have weeknight (Thursday & Friday) Big East football games on all platforms ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU

If there's going to be a team approach, it's very likely to be the Fox/ESPN combo. There is only one entity that Disney, Fox and Time Warner hate more than each other: Comcast. Even though their networks are fierce competitors for ratings, all of those companies would still rather prop each other up than let Comcast establish a viable sports network itself. Why? Because Comcast is the biggest player on the other side of the negotiating table against Disney, Fox and Time Warner for cable subscriber fees, so they don't want anything to do with NBCSN being strong enough to get any leverage against them. That's why you keep seeing ESPN, Fox, TNT/TBS and CBS all work together with various combos to buy up all of the sports rights of any value over the past 2 years while only allowing NBCSN to retain what they already had (the Olympics and NHL) or scraps (MLS, Formula One). Absolutely no one wants to partner with NBC and, in fact, they're unabashedly going out of their way to keep anything of value away from NBC specifically. That's also why I keep telling people here that if you want an ESPN alternative, then you want Fox in the game much more than NBCSN.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 12:38 PM by Frank the Tank.)
10-18-2012 12:37 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(10-18-2012 12:11 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Three things I almost feel are locks at this point.

I actually don't think any of these can be considered foregone conclsuions. I am not even sure about number 1 (While that is "likely" to be true, I think it might be a sublicensing agreement with one network which woudl be similar but different).

I actually think that unless ESPN backs up the Brinks truck, they are looking to for another network to be the "primary" broadcast partner, due to time slot issues, with ESPN still involved for promotional considerations. Basically similar to the Big XII deal, where FOX has the majority of football content with ESPN getting first dibs (first tier), but very few games, meanign the games they pick up will be for good time slots. This is different than the Pac 12 in which ESPN and Fox split both first and second tier.

My guess is the contract set up will be different than most others. I personally don’t see the Big East going the conference network route. My guess, or maybe it’s just what I would do, is work out a system where you distribute as much of your “tier 3” content on “lesser” cable networks as you possibly can. For example, let’s use the Fox/ESPN split that many think may be the leading option, after your tier 1 and 2 games are selected by your Fox and ESPN, I would sell the tier 3 games to the networks like CBS Sports, Fox college sports, NFL Network, and NBA Network. Yes I realize that is easier said than done, but they may have enough leverage to do so anyway. This way, you have the uniqueness of having more content broadcast nationally than anyone else.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 12:49 PM by adcorbett.)
10-18-2012 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.