Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Part 2: Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Part 2: Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game
Here is the rest of the Tom Jurich talk.

Part II Jurich Link
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 01:08 PM by Ring of Black.)
10-17-2012 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k5james Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
mpionship game, UK football series and Johnny
I lold.
10-17-2012 03:57 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
RE: Part 2: Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game
(10-17-2012 03:49 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Here is the rest of the Tom Jurich talk.

Part II Jurich Link

Tom Jurich Wrote:How ESPN feels about three unbeaten Big East teams: ”In my opinion, the lack of interest we’ve gotten from ESPN is only tied to the contract issue. They’re trying to push us down in the sand as they try to do the conference. We will be a player. It’s going to be hard for them to avoid the Big East because they’re totally surrounded by it. UConn is in their back yard, you’ve got St. John’s in New York, you’ve got Providence in the Boston market. ESPN grew up on Big Monday basketball. Going to be hard to ignore Big East basketball although in this equation, it’s football, football, football … If we can take care of business this week (against South Florida), next Friday (against Cincinnati) could be an electric atmosphere. (The game will be telecast on ESPN).”

Now that's one of the more vocal ADs in the country saying ESPN is pushing the BE down because of the contract. Just a conspiracy I'm sure.
10-17-2012 03:58 PM
johniesFan99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: st johns
n
he's exactly on point with that comment about espn, they can't escape the Big East
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 04:04 PM by johniesFan99.)
10-17-2012 04:03 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
RE:
don't you guys have your own super private pre-Big 12 invite board somewhere on here?
10-17-2012 04:12 PM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-17-2012 03:58 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

Part II Jurich Link

Tom Jurich Wrote:How ESPN feels about three unbeaten Big East teams: ”In my opinion, the lack of interest we’ve gotten from ESPN is only tied to the contract issue. They’re trying to push us down in the sand as they try to do the conference. We will be a player. It’s going to be hard for them to avoid the Big East because they’re totally surrounded by it. UConn is in their back yard, you’ve got St. John’s in New York, you’ve got Providence in the Boston market. ESPN grew up on Big Monday basketball. Going to be hard to ignore Big East basketball although in this equation, it’s football, football, football … If we can take care of business this week (against South Florida), next Friday (against Cincinnati) could be an electric atmosphere. (The game will be telecast on ESPN).”

Now that's one of the more vocal ADs in the country saying ESPN is pushing the BE down because of the contract. Just a conspiracy I'm sure.

Several of us on the Big East board had stated for a long time that ESPN is not likely to give up Big East basketball. They will do whatever is necessary to keep at least some Big East hoops, it's what drives TV in the winter months in the northeast. A10, B1G and ACC will not cut it, they have to keep at least apportion of the Big East hoops. The new Commissioner knows this and the TV negotiations are probably proving this out right now. 04-cheers
10-17-2012 04:48 PM
TennTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: n
(10-17-2012 04:03 PM)johniesFan99 Wrote:  he's exactly on point with that comment about espn, they can't escape the Big East

Oh I'm sure ESPN will eventually move their headquarters to Atlanta or Dallas. You know, SEC or Big 12 country since that's all they seem to care about anyway.05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 04:55 PM by TennTiger.)
10-17-2012 04:55 PM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
RE:
(10-17-2012 04:12 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  don't you guys have your own super private pre-Big 12 invite board somewhere on here?

Yeah you can find it right here.

http://www.cryptozoology.com/
10-17-2012 06:06 PM
krux Offline
Banned

Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game, UK football series and Johnny
Wow, so Jurich overwhelmingly lauded the Big East and you guys are ribbing us about the Big 12. Annnnnd you wonder why threads get derailed. How dare he preview the contents of his message with an accurate subject line. Grow up, kids.
10-17-2012 06:16 PM
Advertisement

Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
RE: Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game, UK football series and Johnny
(10-17-2012 06:16 PM)krux Wrote:  Wow, so Jurich overwhelmingly lauded the Big East and you guys are ribbing us about the Big 12. Annnnnd you wonder why threads get derailed. How dare he preview the contents of his message with an accurate subject line. Grow up, kids.

Honestly I found Jurich's comments to be most welcome. To me it sounds like he's saying, "It doesn't look like we're going anywhere for the time being so let's make the best with what we have, it could be worse." A committed Louisville is good for everyone.

To me the comments about the B12 CCG were the most telling, he's not expecting the B12 to add that anytime soon.
10-17-2012 06:56 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(10-17-2012 03:58 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

Part II Jurich Link

Wait...I thought that was just a fan conspiracy?03-shhhh03-lmfao
10-17-2012 07:16 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Jurich on scheduling, Big 12 championship game, UK football series and Johnny
(10-17-2012 06:56 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  
(10-17-2012 06:16 PM)krux Wrote:  Wow, so Jurich overwhelmingly lauded the Big East and you guys are ribbing us about the Big 12. Annnnnd you wonder why threads get derailed. How dare he preview the contents of his message with an accurate subject line. Grow up, kids.

Honestly I found Jurich's comments to be most welcome. To me it sounds like he's saying, "It doesn't look like we're going anywhere for the time being so let's make the best with what we have, it could be worse." A committed Louisville is good for everyone.

To me the comments about the B12 CCG were the most telling, he's not expecting the B12 to add that anytime soon.
My take, too.
10-17-2012 07:19 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Not sure what the "near future" means....but I think Jurich believes the Cardinals are going to be here a while.
10-17-2012 07:29 PM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
(10-17-2012 07:19 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

My take, too.

I agree with this too.
10-17-2012 08:10 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I've asked UL posters not to beat the "leaving for the B-12" thing to death. Conversely, neither should anyone else.
10-18-2012 01:08 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

RE:
(10-17-2012 04:12 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  don't you guys have your own super private pre-Big 12 invite board somewhere on here?

don't you bother to read the actual link before posting about it?
10-18-2012 01:44 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(10-17-2012 04:55 PM)TennTiger Wrote:  
(10-17-2012 04:03 PM)johniesFan99 Wrote:  he's exactly on point with that comment about espn, they can't escape the Big East

Oh I'm sure ESPN will eventually move their headquarters to Atlanta or Dallas. You know, SEC or Big 12 country since that's all they seem to care about anyway.05-stirthepot

There's a reason why ESPN is in Connecticut ... New York and Boston are the Athens and Sparta of American sports. And pro sports > college sports for most people (I'm not one of them).
10-19-2012 08:03 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(10-19-2012 08:03 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

There's a reason why ESPN is in Connecticut ... New York and Boston are the Athens and Sparta of American sports. And pro sports > college sports for most people (I'm not one of them).

The reason why ESPN is located in Bristol, CT is generally because:

1) It was started up by "locals" that lived in/around Hartford, CT (originally planed to cover just CT sports teams but was later changed before launch to provide 24/7 sports)

2) Their first location (Plainville) was rejected because the town did not allow large satellite dishes

3) Area in/around Bristol was a dump so it was cheap

4) And since the areas was previously used as a dumb, it didn't have many, if any trees, so the sat dishes wouldn't have to worry about trees blocking their signal.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2012 08:36 AM by KnightLight.)
10-19-2012 08:36 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
At the very least, the location in Connecticut has allowed ESPN to be what it is. They couldn't pull this off in the upper peninsula of Michigan, or central Mississippi. Being close to the mecca of pro sports allows them access to many more people for programming purposes.

And even a "dump" in Connecticut is nice than 90% of the rest of the U.S.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2012 10:35 AM by UConn-SMU.)
10-19-2012 09:57 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-19-2012 08:36 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(10-19-2012 08:03 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

The reason why ESPN is located in Bristol, CT is generally because:

1) It was started up by "locals" that lived in/around Hartford, CT (originally planed to cover just CT sports teams but was later changed before launch to provide 24/7 sports)

2) Their first location (Plainville) was rejected because the town did not allow large satellite dishes

3) Area in/around Bristol was a dump so it was cheap

4) And since the areas was previously used as a dumb, it didn't have many, if any trees, so the sat dishes wouldn't have to worry about trees blocking their signal.

Well, I have to agree with you on this one. From reading "Those Guys Have All of the Fun" about the history of ESPN (which is actually a great read about the sports business in general), the entire attraction of Bristol was that it was VERY cheap and no one would care about all of the required satellite dishes being put up. No one at ESPN actually wanted to work or live there at all. The fact that it's about the midway point between NYC and Boston is largely an unrelated accident of history. No one without a personal connection would have willingly chosen Atlanta to be a media hub 30 years ago, but it now houses the largest TV news organization anywhere simply because Ted Turner was from there.

These days, it's a lot more explicit, as virtually all TV and film production just migrate to whichever state has the best tax incentives for that particular year. That's why you'll see a ton of movies being made in Chicago one year and then suddenly see a ton of movies shift to Pittsburgh the next year (as we saw with Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises) - it's all about tax credits that state and local governments keep one-upping each other on since they're all so obsessed with getting some Hollywood glitz.
10-19-2012 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.