11-13-2012 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: ESPN "couldn't be happier" with BYU / ESPN contract
The spin by ESPN continues....
Not so subtle message from the Four Letter network to The Big East: If you want BYU then you have to sign with us.
For this reason alone I believe BYU is off the table. ESPN getting desperate.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 07:57 PM by CardinalJim.)
11-13-2012 07:57 PM
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

I Root For: SHU
What a piece of crap to put out there only one day after the bonfire of the d@mn vanities!!
11-13-2012 07:59 PM
Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
That really is Telling... I don't see ESPN releasing BYU If they did want to join...

BYU will have finish there contract... I See AFA/ECU/Fresno...
11-13-2012 08:00 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
With the new landscape BYU lost a lot od leverage. They are not eligible for the GoF Access Slot...the only way going forward for them to get into a Big $$$ game is basically @ best finish 5th. The Orange Bowl Slot is closed...The Sugar Bowl is closed...The Rose Bowl is closed...the BIG EAST/GoF has it slot and there is only 1 slot left that is not a Playoff Slot.

Myself, ask AFA...if they say no ECU and call it a day...work on the TV Deal and secure quality bowls down the line.
11-13-2012 08:07 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Let's say the Big East is able to offer BYU $12M a year as a football only member. They are making $8M now.

I wonder if BYU then simply shops the offer to ESPN, gets a raise, and stays independent.
11-13-2012 08:09 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(11-13-2012 08:09 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Let's say the Big East is able to offer BYU $12M a year as a football only member. They are making $8M now.

I wonder if BYU then simply shops the offer to ESPN, gets a raise, and stays independent.

ESPN will force them to honor that guido contract. The BYU situation is a perfect example of the tail wagging the dog. BYU fans were upset that Utah got a PAC invite so the BYU leaders made a hasty decision, exited the MWC, signed this crappy contract and now they are stuck.
CJ
11-13-2012 08:13 PM
johniesFan99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: st johns
Another tatic by the Evil Empire BSpn, Dear Mr. Aresco...ur doin a good job so far don't fall for it
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 08:19 PM by johniesFan99.)
11-13-2012 08:17 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I'm at the point where it's just get Air Force, Fresno, or ECU. I get the feeling BYU will never say 'no' but they'll never say 'yes'. Plus it seems like their fans are whinny.
11-13-2012 08:18 PM
Attackcoog Online

(11-13-2012 08:00 PM)Fear The Frog Wrote:  That really is Telling... I don't see ESPN releasing BYU If they did want to join...

BYU's contract wont be an issue. Worst case senario, they play out thier frist few years in the Big East under thier ESPN deal. By the way, people seem to forget, Navy is under contract to CBS until 2018. They have the exact same situation.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 08:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-13-2012 08:18 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2012 08:13 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(11-13-2012 08:09 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Let's say the Big East is able to offer BYU $12M a year as a football only member. They are making $8M now.

ESPN will force them to honor that guido contract. The BYU situation is a perfect example of the tail wagging the dog. BYU fans were upset that Utah got a PAC invite so the BYU leaders made a hasty decision, exited the MWC, signed this crappy contract and now they are stuck.
CJ

Yup...they are stuck and right now unless they can join a league they now have no shot @ a Big Money Game...Utah State has a better shot now than BYU @ going to a Top Tier Bowl Game-(Chick Fil-A Bowl, Cotton Bowl or Fiesta Bowl).
11-13-2012 08:19 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

(11-13-2012 08:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  With the new landscape BYU lost a lot od leverage. They are not eligible for the GoF Access Slot...the only way going forward for them to get into a Big $$$ game is basically @ best finish 5th. The Orange Bowl Slot is closed...The Sugar Bowl is closed...The Rose Bowl is closed...the BIG EAST/GoF has it slot and there is only 1 slot left that is not a Playoff Slot.

Myself, ask AFA...if they say no ECU and call it a day...work on the TV Deal and secure quality bowls down the line.

McMurphy aswered that question yesterday. BYU is not eligible for the G-5 slot. They either make the playoff or qualify as an at large in an access bowl.
11-13-2012 08:20 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
I never like the option of BYU. BYU is one of those schools think they are good but they don't offer anything close to their delusional status. They are no ND. We are better off with ECU or Fresno. I really hope we add Fresno since it will give BE 2 CA schools. If not, I would love to bring on ECU since they got a ton of potential.
11-13-2012 08:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2012 08:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-13-2012 08:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  With the new landscape BYU lost a lot od leverage. They are not eligible for the GoF Access Slot...the only way going forward for them to get into a Big $$$ game is basically @ best finish 5th. The Orange Bowl Slot is closed...The Sugar Bowl is closed...The Rose Bowl is closed...the BIG EAST/GoF has it slot and there is only 1 slot left that is not a Playoff Slot.

McMurphy aswered that question yesterday. BYU is not eligible for the G-5 slot. They either make the playoff or qualify as an at large in an access bowl.

I know...that what I said in the post...lol...BYU has kind of screwed and they have no leverage. The C-USA & MWC don't have a contract with ESPN either.
11-13-2012 08:25 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(11-13-2012 08:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-13-2012 08:00 PM)Fear The Frog Wrote:  That really is Telling... I don't see ESPN releasing BYU If they did want to join...

BYU's contrct wont be an issue. Worst case senario, they play out thier frist few years in the Big East under thier ESPN deal.

Not possible...
What incentive would The Big East have to invite BYU if they don't add value to the TV contract? What incentive would any TV partner have to pay for BYU when they would not have the rights to broadcast BYU games?

BYU for all practical purposes signed an 8 year GOR contract with ESPN for 8 million. Anyway you spin that BYU screwed up.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 08:26 PM by CardinalJim.)
11-13-2012 08:25 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2012 08:24 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I never like the option of BYU. BYU is one of those schools think they are good but they don't offer anything close to their delusional status. They are no ND. We are better off with ECU or Fresno. I really hope we add Fresno since it will give BE 2 CA schools. If not, I would love to bring on ECU since they got a ton of potential.

Yup...I would take BYU because of their brand but they lost a lot of their leverage with the Access Issues resolved really in the BIG EAST favor. We do what we usually do on the field we are getting that slot 10 out of 12 years @ worst.

The TV Networks may like AFA but I am like you but I favor ECU over Fresno State but would be find with either.
11-13-2012 08:31 PM
Advertisement

Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
LOL. All that love from ESPN doesn't explain why they have been burying BYU on ESPNU and ESPN3 for most of their time slots.

Just how bad are their ratings on ESPN? Well, when they played rival UTAH on September 15, on ESPN2, the Neilsen Ratings had them at #9 in the time slot (1.012 million), behind "Iyanla, Fix My Life" (1.136 million) on the Oprah Channel but ahead of the Animal Planet (0.966 million).

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/20..._20120915/

Say, maybe ESPN can help BYU get into a bigger bowl game. When they lost their second game this season to Boise State their bowl destination was set: the Poinsettia Bowl with a payout of $500,000. That is pretty shabby for the "Notre Dame of the West."
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 08:53 PM by Road Apple.)
11-13-2012 08:35 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
You have to wonder how much more time Aresco is going to spend on these guys. I really hope that it's just a matter of seeing the TV deal before BYU actually does something, anything.
11-13-2012 08:39 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2012 08:31 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(11-13-2012 08:24 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I never like the option of BYU. BYU is one of those schools think they are good but they don't offer anything close to their delusional status. They are no ND. We are better off with ECU or Fresno. I really hope we add Fresno since it will give BE 2 CA schools. If not, I would love to bring on ECU since they got a ton of potential.

Yup...I would take BYU because of their brand but they lost a lot of their leverage with the Access Issues resolved really in the BIG EAST favor. We do what we usually do on the field we are getting that slot 10 out of 12 years @ worst.

The TV Networks may like AFA but I am like you but I favor ECU over Fresno State but would be find with either.

Fresno would give us another CA market and a big recruiting area. Fresno/SDSU/Boise would be a nice rivalry setup. I would be fine with ECU as well. Their fans been dying to get into the BE. The only issue with ECU is they are in a state that's over crowed with NC 4 already.
11-13-2012 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2012 08:39 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  You have to wonder how much more time Aresco is going to spend on these guys. I really hope that it's just a matter of seeing the TV deal before BYU actually does something, anything.

It is very simple really. Aresco should ask BYU if they can get out of the ESPiN contract. If the answer is no, BE needs to move on.

Good luck BYU with indy.
11-13-2012 08:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.