Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wait until the Liberty Bowl provide their comments on the Tech situation
Bookmark and Share
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
Wait until the Liberty Bowl provide their comments on the Tech situation
Looks like the La Tech Athletic Director is accusing the Liberty Bowl folks of lying. He said they promised both he and the WAC commissioner that Tech was in the bowl however invited another team.

That is a serious violation of a verbal contract and certainally reflects poorly on the Liberty Bowl, their reputation, and every other team in the future will always wonder whether to associate with them.

The Liberty Bowl actually has no alternative now but to come clean and salvage whatever they can from this situation. I am sure their response is going to be very interesting.
12-03-2012 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Billy Free Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Wait until the Liberty Bowl provide their comments on the Tech situation
The liberty bowl and the people that run it are scum. Ever since the travesty with southern miss last year I have no respect for that bowl at all.
12-03-2012 08:47 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(12-03-2012 08:47 PM)Billy Free Wrote:  The liberty bowl and the people that run it are scum. Ever since the travesty with southern miss last year I have no respect for that bowl at all.

The contractually obligated, that all parties agreed to, travesty?
12-03-2012 08:49 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
Louisiana Tech probably should have taken the first bowl that came calling, whether the Liberty had made overtures or not. Bad thing is Tulsa v Iowa State is a repeat of the first game of the season for both teams. I think La Tech v Tulsa would have been a much more intriguing game to watch with the Dawgs coming into CUSA next year, but Iowa State gives CUSA a chance to beat a B12 team.
12-03-2012 09:05 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
Hopefully it helps us get rid of our AD
12-03-2012 09:06 PM
Billy Free Offline
Banned

(12-03-2012 08:49 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 08:47 PM)Billy Free Wrote:  The liberty bowl and the people that run it are scum. Ever since the travesty with southern miss last year I have no respect for that bowl at all.

Even though you are correct, i think its law in Hattiesburg for us to ***** about the liberty bowl situation last year. Look it up. They took r jobs.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 09:13 PM by Billy Free.)
12-03-2012 09:12 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(12-03-2012 09:12 PM)Billy Free Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 08:49 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

Even though you are correct, i think its law in Hattiesburg for us to ***** about the liberty bowl situation last year. Look it up. They took r jobs.

[Image: 021.gif]
12-03-2012 09:36 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown

They helped get us in the BE, so dey cool
12-03-2012 09:37 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(12-03-2012 08:27 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Looks like the La Tech Athletic Director is accusing the Liberty Bowl folks of lying. He said they promised both he and the WAC commissioner that Tech was in the bowl however invited another team.

That is a serious violation of a verbal contract and certainally reflects poorly on the Liberty Bowl, their reputation, and every other team in the future will always wonder whether to associate with them.

The Liberty Bowl actually has no alternative now but to come clean and salvage whatever they can from this situation. I am sure their response is going to be very interesting.

Who is this? Are you defending La Tech?
12-03-2012 09:39 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Tech's AD says he had it in writing. WAC commissioner said he was part of the negotiations and backs up Tech's AD statement that the Liberty Bowl told Tech they were going to invite them.

I think if they say anything at all, it would have to be that they did agree to invite Tech, but when NIU made the Orange Bowl, the circumstances changed and they selected Iowa State instead.

I hope they say something though. If they don't, you have to believe they screwed Tech over big time.
12-04-2012 08:20 AM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-03-2012 09:39 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 08:27 PM)eager eagle Wrote:  Looks like the La Tech Athletic Director is accusing the Liberty Bowl folks of lying. He said they promised both he and the WAC commissioner that Tech was in the bowl however invited another team.

Who is this? Are you defending La Tech?

I am not defending La Tech but the principle that agreements are agreements and shouldnt be broken. The Ncaa should step in and take the Liberty Bowl off their approved list for at least two years.
12-04-2012 08:46 AM
Advertisement

USM Birds of War Offline
Bench Warmer

You can't blame just the Liberty Bowl for what happened to us last year. The Liberty Bowl, the SEC and Bankowski all sold us up the river. Not just us, but the entire conference. They all share in the blame. But that's in the past, well beyond time to move on.

That's why I'm going to wait until we hear more, when and if we even do.
12-04-2012 08:50 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

Did anyone really think Liberty Bowl would want a rematch of Iowa St/Tulsa? Most of the time we are led to believe that bowl games try to go far away from having a regular season game rematch as much as possible
12-04-2012 08:59 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(12-04-2012 08:59 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Did anyone really think Liberty Bowl would want a rematch of Iowa St/Tulsa? Most of the time we are led to believe that bowl games try to go far away from having a regular season game rematch as much as possible

I doubt they wanted either of them, honestly. I doubt either will travel all that well.
12-04-2012 09:06 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
azlb said all there is to say the other day - their contracts are up this year and are currying favor with the big 12. pretty simple. after all its a business (and i would love to see la techs AD show and tell if he really has something in writing from steve erheart)
12-04-2012 09:37 AM
papa_dawg Offline
Stirring Pots Since 1975

I Root For: LA Tech
(12-04-2012 09:37 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  azlb said all there is to say the other day - their contracts are up this year and are currying favor with the big 12. pretty simple. after all its a business (and i would love to see la techs AD show and tell if he really has something in writing from steve erheart)

Me too. But my best guess is that it will end with Earhardt saying "look we have our agreement in writing and we followed it" with Van De Velde saying "that's not what we talked about over the phone." I doubt Tech gets much cred for anything.
12-04-2012 09:53 AM
Advertisement

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(12-04-2012 09:06 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 08:59 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Did anyone really think Liberty Bowl would want a rematch of Iowa St/Tulsa? Most of the time we are led to believe that bowl games try to go far away from having a regular season game rematch as much as possible

I doubt they wanted either of them, honestly. I doubt either will travel all that well.

Iowa State will travel in pretty decent numbers.
12-04-2012 09:57 AM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-04-2012 08:20 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Tech's AD says he had it in writing. WAC commissioner said he was part of the negotiations and backs up Tech's AD statement that the Liberty Bowl told Tech they were going to invite them.

I think if they say anything at all, it would have to be that they did agree to invite Tech, but when NIU made the Orange Bowl, the circumstances changed and they selected Iowa State instead.

I hope they say something though. If they don't, you have to believe they screwed Tech over big time.

It seems pretty apparent to me that your second paragraph describes what probably happened. We don't know for sure what was actually said, but organizations should follow through on their promises or they face the loss of credibility.

Who would have thought that NIU's selection, which should have been good news for all non-autobid schools, would have started a chain of events that cost a deserving program a bowl bid?
12-04-2012 10:33 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2012 10:33 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 08:20 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Tech's AD says he had it in writing. WAC commissioner said he was part of the negotiations and backs up Tech's AD statement that the Liberty Bowl told Tech they were going to invite them.

It seems pretty apparent to me that your second paragraph describes what probably happened. We don't know for sure what was actually said, but organizations should follow through on their promises or they face the loss of credibility.

Who would have thought that NIU's selection, which should have been good news for all non-autobid schools, would have started a chain of events that cost a deserving program a bowl bid?

I got some new information now. The written agreement to Tech stated that the Liberty Bowl would invite Tech, IF IOWA STATE WAS NOT AVAILABLE.

That changes everything. We just were unfortunate that NIU got the Orange Bowl and Iowa St became available to the Liberty Bowl.

It all makes sense now. Before NIU got the Orange Bowl, the Heart of Dallas Bowl was going to trade Iowa State to the Liberty Bowl for Tech. When NIU got the Orange Bowl, no trade was necessary.

The disaster was that the Independence Bowl needed an answer from Tech on Saturday and Tech didn't find out NIU was going to the Orange Bowl until Sunday.... and that was too late.
12-04-2012 11:05 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
I think the Liberty Bowl had ruined the seasons of two decent programs over a two year period and that is wrong. The only good news is that this incident has caused many to take a look at the bowl selection process. I can't blame our AD for wanting to go to the Liberty over the Independence. It would have been the biggest bowl we have ever been to, but to back out the way the Liberty did is wholly unethical and shows that the system is flawed.
12-04-2012 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.