Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open letter from LaTech AD
Bookmark and Share
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Open letter from LaTech AD
Dear Bulldog Nation,
As you are aware, the Louisiana Tech football team with a 9-3 record was not selected to participate in a bowl game this season. All
of us are tremendously disappointed for the team, especially the 32 seniors, who will not receive an opportunity to represent the school
one more time on the football fi eld.
I hope this letter will help you understand the timeline as well as provide accurate information regarding the bowl selection process.
We entered this season knowing that the WAC had just one bowl agreement and the champion of the conference would participate in
that designated bowl. Since we were not conference champions, we were in the at-large pool looking for a bowl that might have an
opening. This is one of the reasons it was so important for us to receive an invitation to Conference USA for next season. Conference
USA has contracts with fi ve bowl games.
Working closely with both the commissioners of the WAC and CUSA, we were told by the Heart of Dallas Bowl and Liberty Bowl
there was interest in having Louisiana Tech play in these games. The possibility of an offer from both bowls was strong, but hinged on
the Big 12 getting two teams into the BCS, which meant, for the most part, that Oklahoma and Kansas State needed to win and Kent
State needed to lose.
On Thursday, November 29th we signed a written agreement with the Liberty Bowl that we would play in their game if no Big 12
Conference school was available.
The Independence Bowl, which had issued an invitation to Louisiana Tech on Thursday, called Saturday morning and said they needed
a decision before the end of the Oklahoma game. I told them I needed to confer with our head coach and president before making a
commitment. At no time did anyone turn the bowl invitation down, we simply asked for more time.
Collectively, we decided the chance to play on New Year’s Day in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, if we were traded from the Liberty Bowl
to the Heart of Dallas Bowl or in the Liberty Bowl, was a special opportunity for our program and a logical next step since we had
played in the Independence Bowl and Poinsettia Bowl in recent years.
We decided to ask the Independence Bowl to give us the day, Saturday, to see how the games played out so we could have all the information
we needed to make the best possible decision for the university and program. This was communicated to the Independence
Bowl Saturday morning.
I spoke with the Liberty Bowl later Saturday morning and told them we were being asked to make a decision by the Independence
Bowl and I needed to know their decision. They told me and WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd that the Liberty Bowl would invite LA
Tech to the Liberty Bowl regardless if a Big 12 school was available.
The Independence Bowl called back Saturday afternoon and told LA Tech they had moved on to an agreement with the Mid-American
Conference.
Kent State had lost their game Friday night and on Saturday both OU and KSU won their games. We felt there was a strong chance
the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS thereby placing us in the Liberty Bowl or the Heart of Dallas Bowl game.
On Sunday, NIU was moved up to 15th in the BCS, knocking OU out of the BCS Sugar Bowl and pushing all the Big 12 teams down
a notch and fi lling up the Heart of Dallas Bowl with a representative from the Big 12. Iowa State, a member of the Big 12, was left
without a contracted bowl game, entered the at-large pool and was taken by the Liberty Bowl, eliminating that spot for Louisiana
Tech. This occurred despite the Liberty Bowl committing to both LA Tech and the Commissioner of the WAC on Saturday they
would select LA Tech.
We felt every step of the way we were doing what is in the best interest of the program and student athletes. No one is pleased with
the outcome but at least now you are accurately informed of what transpired.
Sincerely,
Bruce Van De Velde
Athletic Director

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/latc...etter2.pdf
12-04-2012 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
RE: Open letter from LaTech AD
That sucks, :(
12-04-2012 05:15 PM
jpm3985 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ul-lafayette
I liked MTSU's letter better.
12-04-2012 05:21 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
This further proves the bs that SBC Commish Benson was giving about Liberty and GoDaddy being locks for MT and stAte.
12-04-2012 05:24 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
Look like the $EC ****ed someone again in the Liberty Bowl since they're the ones pulling the strings behind the curtain. Ever since they've moved in there, it's been a big hassle in dealing w/ them espcially since they lost to a CUSA team.
12-04-2012 05:26 PM
papa_dawg Offline
Stirring Pots Since 1975

I Root For: LA Tech
(12-04-2012 05:21 PM)jpm3985 Wrote:  I liked MTSU's letter better.

Figures.
12-04-2012 05:46 PM
Advertisement

WeatherfordMeanGreen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
I empathize with La Tech and this situation. I think for them it was just a matter of Murphy's Law taking it to the limit with their bowl situation and the timeline they had to work with.

Fact remains, few other schools (if any) in the MWC or CUSA this Fall were ranked in the Top 25.....but La Tech was. That is almost as good as a bowl game to many of us whose schools have not been in that kind of company in decades.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 06:03 PM by WeatherfordMeanGreen.)
12-04-2012 06:01 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2012 06:01 PM)WeatherfordMeanGreen Wrote:  I empathize with La Tech and this situation. I think for them it was just a matter of Murphy's Law taking it to the limit with their bowl situation and the timeline they had to work with.

Fact remains, few other schools (if any) in the MWC or CUSA this Fall were ranked in the Top 25.....but La Tech was. That is almost as good as a bowl game to many of us whose schools have not been in that kind of company in decades.

This doesn't suck for the fans, this sucks for the players. We tend to forget that this should be more about amateur sports and not a business opportunity for the city. But at the end of the day, that's ALL it is.
12-04-2012 06:30 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Win your conference, and La Tech is the one playing Florida State in the Orange Bowl.
12-04-2012 06:34 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2012 06:34 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Win your conference, and La Tech is the one playing Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

If only we were were in CUSA this year!
12-04-2012 06:44 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
A very unfortunate series of events for LaTech.

I feel for your players and fans.
12-04-2012 06:49 PM
Advertisement

Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Back when 6-6 schools were first allowed into bowls there was a rule saying they couldn't be taken until all schools with winning records had bowls. This could be ignored if the conference of the 6-6 team had a contract with the bowl. Since The Big 12 had no contract with the Liberty Bowl, how was Iowa State taken over LTech and MTSU?
12-04-2012 06:53 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

what pisses me off is Georgia Tech getting in a bowl game vs USC at 6-7
12-04-2012 07:04 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-04-2012 07:04 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  what pisses me off is Georgia Tech getting in a bowl game vs USC at 6-7

When we beat them by 3 TDs on their own field? Oh, it should have been worse as crazy as that may sound.
12-04-2012 07:10 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2012 06:53 PM)Luckyshot Wrote:  Back when 6-6 schools were first allowed into bowls there was a rule saying they couldn't be taken until all schools with winning records had bowls. This could be ignored if the conference of the 6-6 team had a contract with the bowl. Since The Big 12 had no contract with the Liberty Bowl, how was Iowa State taken over LTech and MTSU?

Per Wikipedia: Starting with the 2010–11 bowl season, the rule that required the selection of seven-win teams before any 6–6 teams was eliminated
12-04-2012 07:27 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-04-2012 05:11 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Dear Bulldog Nation,
As you are aware, the Louisiana Tech football team with a 9-3 record was not selected to participate in a bowl game this season. All
of us are tremendously disappointed for the team, especially the 32 seniors, who will not receive an opportunity to represent the school
one more time on the football fi eld.
I hope this letter will help you understand the timeline as well as provide accurate information regarding the bowl selection process.
We entered this season knowing that the WAC had just one bowl agreement and the champion of the conference would participate in
that designated bowl. Since we were not conference champions, we were in the at-large pool looking for a bowl that might have an
opening. This is one of the reasons it was so important for us to receive an invitation to Conference USA for next season. Conference
USA has contracts with fi ve bowl games.
Working closely with both the commissioners of the WAC and CUSA, we were told by the Heart of Dallas Bowl and Liberty Bowl
there was interest in having Louisiana Tech play in these games. The possibility of an offer from both bowls was strong, but hinged on
the Big 12 getting two teams into the BCS, which meant, for the most part, that Oklahoma and Kansas State needed to win and Kent
State needed to lose.
On Thursday, November 29th we signed a written agreement with the Liberty Bowl that we would play in their game if no Big 12
Conference school was available.
The Independence Bowl, which had issued an invitation to Louisiana Tech on Thursday, called Saturday morning and said they needed
a decision before the end of the Oklahoma game. I told them I needed to confer with our head coach and president before making a
commitment. At no time did anyone turn the bowl invitation down, we simply asked for more time.
Collectively, we decided the chance to play on New Year’s Day in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, if we were traded from the Liberty Bowl
to the Heart of Dallas Bowl or in the Liberty Bowl, was a special opportunity for our program and a logical next step since we had
played in the Independence Bowl and Poinsettia Bowl in recent years.
We decided to ask the Independence Bowl to give us the day, Saturday, to see how the games played out so we could have all the information
we needed to make the best possible decision for the university and program. This was communicated to the Independence
Bowl Saturday morning.
I spoke with the Liberty Bowl later Saturday morning and told them we were being asked to make a decision by the Independence
Bowl and I needed to know their decision. They told me and WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd that the Liberty Bowl would invite LA
Tech to the Liberty Bowl regardless if a Big 12 school was available.
The Independence Bowl called back Saturday afternoon and told LA Tech they had moved on to an agreement with the Mid-American
Conference.
Kent State had lost their game Friday night and on Saturday both OU and KSU won their games. We felt there was a strong chance
the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS thereby placing us in the Liberty Bowl or the Heart of Dallas Bowl game.
On Sunday, NIU was moved up to 15th in the BCS, knocking OU out of the BCS Sugar Bowl and pushing all the Big 12 teams down
a notch and fi lling up the Heart of Dallas Bowl with a representative from the Big 12. Iowa State, a member of the Big 12, was left
without a contracted bowl game, entered the at-large pool and was taken by the Liberty Bowl, eliminating that spot for Louisiana
Tech. This occurred despite the Liberty Bowl committing to both LA Tech and the Commissioner of the WAC on Saturday they
would select LA Tech.
We felt every step of the way we were doing what is in the best interest of the program and student athletes. No one is pleased with
the outcome but at least now you are accurately informed of what transpired.
Sincerely,
Bruce Van De Velde
Athletic Director

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/latc...etter2.pdf
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The AD says I-Bowl contacted and issued Tech an invite on Thursday. Tech did not respond the rest of that day, nor the next day (Friday), nor Saturday prior to time I-Bowl called and wanted an answer. Tech said they were looking at better options and needed more time. Tech followed that with call to Lib Bowl who he said told him that Tech would get their invite regardless. I-bowl then called Tech back later Sat, after the above had transpired, to advise they had selected someone else. One can guess that Tech didnt care since they were headed to Memphis.

Two questions. First, why didnt Tech show the I-Bowl the courtesy of calling them immediately after the Lib Bowl commitment and let them know of Techs decision to play in Lib? Why let it hang out there, keeping I-Bowl waiting for no reason. This is the type jacking around that my source said they usually incur when working with Tech.

Secondly, the AD did not address his conversation with the Liberty Bowl when they let him know they had reversed their decision and that his team was being uninvited. I am looking forward to that explanation, never seen so much spin, just wonder now what the Lib people will say.
12-04-2012 08:58 PM
Advertisement

BkGold Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SouthernMiss
(12-04-2012 07:10 PM)MTowho Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 07:04 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  what pisses me off is Georgia Tech getting in a bowl game vs USC at 6-7

When we beat them by 3 TDs on their own field? Oh, it should have been worse as crazy as that may sound.

It makes no sense, non GT fans will not be interested, when it comes to bowls we want to watch winners play it out. 03-banghead
12-04-2012 09:17 PM
Kyle0614 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
This is why 6-6 teams should not be allowed on the turf after the regular season, we won half of our schedule!! Whoopty freakin doo!

throw them a bone, .............05-mafia
12-04-2012 09:21 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(12-04-2012 05:26 PM)blazerwkr Wrote:  Look like the $EC ****ed someone again in the Liberty Bowl since they're the ones pulling the strings behind the curtain. Ever since they've moved in there, it's been a big hassle in dealing w/ them espcially since they lost to a CUSA team.
+1.
12-04-2012 09:24 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
It would be helpful if the MAC, Mtn, Sun Belt, and C-USA (plus any other interested parties) formed an agreement that, essentially, placed all of those teams into one pool for the purpose of bowl-selection. Teams like NIU that get to play in a BCS bowl would be excluded, of course. But bowls that are on the "list" would get to pick teams from the pool in order according to how much they pay.
12-04-2012 09:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.