Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Wink Wofford stuns Xavier, 56-55
Wofford stuns Xavier, 56-55
Muskies' 12-point halftime lead crumbles as they fall to 7-4

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&D...p;amp;q=60]
Wofford's Karl Cochran elevates for a rebound during the second half of the Terriers' 56-55 win against Xavier at Cintas Center.

Written by
Shannon Russell

After Wednesday’s loss to No. 11 Cincinnati and two good days of practice, Xavier senior Brad Redford was among those who thought the Musketeers were primed for a return to the win column.

Wofford had other plans. The relentless Terriers overcame a 14-point deficit to stun the Musketeers 56-55 Saturday afternoon before a Cintas Center crowd of 9,132.

Xavier squandered a double-figure lead in the second half and was forced to play catch up. Redford buried two clutch 3-pointers down the stretch, including one with eight seconds left that tied the score at 55.

Senior Jeff Robinson promptly and inexplicably fouled Wofford forward Lee Skinner. He converted one of two free throws for the lead.

Travis Taylor rebounded the second-shot miss and found Semaj Christon, who furiously drove down the court – but was whistled for a charge as he attempted the last shot with 1.5 seconds left.

Boos abounded for the officials after the clock expired in a game that left the Musketeers with more questions than answers.

“I think this year we’ve done a good job of being a together group most of the time, and tonight we weren’t,” Redford said. “We weren’t on the same page for whatever reason.”

Coach Chris Mack attributed the second-half slide to Xavier’s inability to score. Wofford played a role in that by trapping Taylor in the post and limiting XU’s most reliable inside scoring source, but the Musketeers also missed lay-ups and had a five-minute scoring drought.

Wofford (6-6) held Xavier (7-4) to 36.4 percent shooting and 21 points in the second half.

“We didn’t shoot free throws well in the second half, didn’t make some open shots, weren’t strong enough with the basketball around the basket,” Mack said. “You score 21 points in a half, anything can happen.”

Wofford mounted a 12-2 run after halftime and opened up the game from the perimeter. Karl Cochran went 3-for-9 beyond the arc throughout en route to 20 points and Spencer Collins also poured in nine of his 17 points from long range.

“I thought we fell asleep a little bit off the ball and they were able to get some shots, some good looks,” Redford said.

The Terriers even capitalized on a pair of 3-pointers they missed. Redford and Justin Martin fouled Wofford players attempting threes in the second half. Cochran and Taylor Wagener combined to make five of the six ensuing free throws.

Wofford made 15 of its 17 shots from the line, including two by Skinner that gave it a 55-52 lead with 11.8 seconds left. Mack said the Musketeers’ plan was to go for two or three points on the next possession and quickly foul if they made a two-pointer. Redford made the three. Robinson still fouled.

“It obviously wasn’t the smartest play in the world, but there were other plays in the game that certainly prevented us from winning,” Mack said.

Wofford, which stormed back from a 21-point deficit in Dec. 8 loss at Davidson, provided déjà vu for an XU team that blew a double-digit lead to Vanderbilt Dec. 6.

“We knew that Wofford would not quit. We knew that. And we talked about it and talked about it. We referenced Vanderbilt,” Mack said. “It’s one of those things. It’s basketball. The other team’s going to keep fighting, and that’s what Wofford did.”

Taylor finished with 20 points, tying his Xavier career high, plus 11 rebounds. Christon added 10 points and eight assists.

Xavier players wore special green and white Nike uniforms, socks and shoes to honor those who perished at Sandy Hook Elementary. The jerseys and shorts will be auctioned at GoXavier.com through Jan. 4 and the proceeds will benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121...eakingnews

12-22-2012 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Wofford stuns Xavier, 56-55
Reality is setting in for the Muskiqueers...03-nutkick

12-22-2012 08:43 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Wofford will probably beat the French in their next game as well. The French are an IMPRESSIVE 0-3 against CAA this year.

12-22-2012 08:56 PM
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
The Norwood University Gangstateers coming back down to earth.

12-22-2012 09:33 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
The ciNITas crowd will be lucky to see an NIT game this year.

12-26-2012 10:57 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Attendance 9,132... I thought they sold out every game..?

12-27-2012 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.