Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reason #2 to play CUSA Conference Championship Game on New Year's Day.
Bookmark and Share
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Reason #2 to play CUSA Conference Championship Game on New Year's Day.
At first, I thought MWC fans were just trolling and/or venting their anger against SDSU for leaving. But, now, MWC Commish Banowsky along with a few MWC officials and sports writers are saying the same thing. Don't play a conference championship game and jeopardize your champion from getting beat and missing the much, much, much more lucrative BCS bowl. Therefore, MWC doesn't need 12 teams for two 6-team divisions. In other words, MWC doesn't need SDSU. The Aztecs are stranded on an island and have sacrificed their BB program. BUt now I digress.

In essence, MWC is following the B12 model.

CUSA should play its conference championship game on New Year's Day to highlight the conference. Not only is the conference highlighted, but it keeps from pitting our #1 team against some BCS roadkill that is 6-6 and probably one or two steps out of the basement of their respective conference.

Playing on New Year's Day also keeps CUSA from jeopardizing their conference champion from losing and missing out on the lucrative BCS bowl. If a CUSA team is selected for a BCS bowl, simple invite the #2 team from that division and play the game for the runner-up spot. Give the bowl a catchy name, for example, the Jim Thorpe Bowl or something like that.
12-23-2012 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fear The Beak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
RE: Reason #2 to play CUSA Conference Championship Game on New Year's Day.
So you are depriving the division winners of going to a bowl game, causing the conference to lose out on bowl money, and burying the championship game in the middle of a day of bowl games. Makes no sense.
12-23-2012 12:56 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
This is beyond dumb.
12-23-2012 02:09 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(12-23-2012 09:30 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  At first, I thought MWC fans were just trolling and/or venting their anger against SDSU for leaving. But, now, MWC Commish Banowsky along with a few MWC officials and sports writers are saying the same thing. Don't play a conference championship game and jeopardize your champion from getting beat and missing the much, much, much more lucrative BCS bowl. Therefore, MWC doesn't need 12 teams for two 6-team divisions. In other words, MWC doesn't need SDSU. The Aztecs are stranded on an island and have sacrificed their BB program. BUt now I digress.

CUSA should play its conference championship game on New Year's Day to highlight the conference. Not only is the conference highlighted, but it keeps from pitting our #1 team against some BCS roadkill that is 6-6 and probably one or two steps out of the basement of their respective conference.

Playing on New Year's Day also keeps CUSA from jeopardizing their conference champion from losing and missing out on the lucrative BCS bowl. If a CUSA team is selected for a BCS bowl, simple invite the #2 team from that division and play the game for the runner-up spot. Give the bowl a catchy name, for example, the Jim Thorpe Bowl or something like that.

All of this does not matter...When it all plays out SDSU and Boise St will stay on board with the Big East and there will be additional western teams added. The money for the Big East contract will still dwarf anything they could get in the MWC. The only chance I see of Boise St going back to the MWC is if they will allow them to retain the TV rights to their home games and I just do not see the other league members agreeing to this set-up.
12-23-2012 02:55 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(12-23-2012 02:55 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  
(12-23-2012 09:30 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  At first, I thought MWC fans were just trolling and/or venting their anger against SDSU for leaving. But, now, MWC Commish Banowsky along with a few MWC officials and sports writers are saying the same thing. Don't play a conference championship game and jeopardize your champion from getting beat and missing the much, much, much more lucrative BCS bowl. Therefore, MWC doesn't need 12 teams for two 6-team divisions. In other words, MWC doesn't need SDSU. The Aztecs are stranded on an island and have sacrificed their BB program. BUt now I digress.

All of this does not matter...When it all plays out SDSU and Boise St will stay on board with the Big East and there will be additional western teams added. The money for the Big East contract will still dwarf anything they could get in the MWC. The only chance I see of Boise St going back to the MWC is if they will allow them to retain the TV rights to their home games and I just do not see the other league members agreeing to this set-up.
Agree, Boise will stay in the BE. New report today says that BE money will in the end be closer to 100 million not 60 million.
12-23-2012 03:04 PM
Yes I Am A Pirate Offline
200 years too late

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-23-2012 02:09 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  This is beyond dumb.

Yep.
12-23-2012 03:42 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(12-23-2012 12:56 PM)Fear The Beak Wrote:  So you are depriving the division winners of going to a bowl game, causing the conference to lose out on bowl money, and burying the championship game in the middle of a day of bowl games. Makes no sense.

Just ignore Tallgrass. He is Tulsa's TOGC, SJ, The WEST is BEST, etc
12-23-2012 07:24 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
I seriously doubt BSU stays in the big east for 2 million a year
12-23-2012 07:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-23-2012 07:38 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  I seriously doubt BSU stays in the big east for 2 million a year

We agree. They will not stay in the Big East for 2 million a year.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 04:14 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-24-2012 04:12 AM
the1sttransport Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tolerance
So stupid I'm embarrassing myself by replying.
12-24-2012 07:57 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It is very difficult to call today's college sports amateur sports. It is a business, operated much like the NFL. The proposal to play the CUSA Championship game on New Year's Day mirrors the NFL, a "Super Bowl" that is a NFL conference championship game.

UCF played 9-3 Ball State in St. Pete Bowl this year. CUSA's Conference Champion, 10-3 Tulsa, will play Iowa State that went 3-6 in B12 in the Liberty Bowl. Neither St. Pete or Liberty Bowl game does much for me, regarding playing a prestigous opponent. And, I question in B12 will have 9 elgible bowl teams like they did this year. Louisiana Tech came within a breath's hair of playing in Liberty Bowl.

Let's do a what if. What if UCF vs Tulsa Championship game this year was played on New Year's Day and in the city of Mobile. From a Conference Championship game perspective, the prestige and fun of this game is greatly enhanced. The reverse is also true. The game is enhanced to the public perception, being played on New Year's Day. To me, a 9-3 Tulsa playing a 9-3 UCF on New Year's Day trumps any "prestige" CUSA bowl played.

Not only in the CUSA Conference Championship game enhanced, now its other teams are enhanced in their bowl games. A 8-4 ECU would now probably play 6-6 (3-6 in B12 Conference play) Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl, rather than the PreXmas New Orleans Bowl. I think ECU fans would be greatly pleased and turn out in great numbers.

Why are we CUSA so smitten with playing a 6-6 BCS team in a bowl, probably with a 3-6 conference record, in a bowl game? If a CUSA team wants to play a prestigous BCS team during the season, do it in Nonconference scheduling.

Louisiana Tech was mocked for turning down the Independence Bowl against ULM. But, really, other than the extra practice time, what did Louisiana Tech gain by playing this Independence Bowl? Win and the reaction is so what? La Tech should have won this game. Lose and La Tech is criticized and mocked. The situation here, in a way, applies to all the minor bowls.

All the CUSA bowls need to be reviewed and evaluated. My perspective is choose a fun site (like Mobile, San Antonio, New Orleans, Hawaii) first as a fun place to go as a reward to team and fans, and then try to upgrade the opponent as much as possible.

Nbe-14/16 whatever, MWC-9/10/12/14 whatever, SBC, and MAC will probably play a lot of bowl games against CUSA. If CUSA can reorganize its bowls and put its bowls in attractive cities (Miami with FIU, San Antonio with UTSA, maybe Carolina with UNCC), then CUSA can have the opportunity to get the better teams from its NonAQ fellow conferences, an upgrade of opponent.

Together, with playing the CUSA Conference Championship game on New Year's Day, will help to set up a conference wide attractive set of bowl opponents with a worthy opponent for each CUSA team.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 08:55 AM by Tallgrass.)
12-24-2012 08:52 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
That may be the dumbest idea I ever heard. Had to look and see if David K wrote the thread.
12-24-2012 09:16 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
Typical Tallgrass....
12-24-2012 09:27 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
ive seen dumber ideas but they have involved 2 handles of Jim Beam and a 12 pack of Busch.
12-24-2012 10:13 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(12-24-2012 10:13 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  ive seen dumber ideas but they have involved 2 handles of Jim Beam and a 12 pack of Busch.

You mean when GTS was updating the site that one time? 05-stirthepot
12-24-2012 10:42 AM
aTxTIGER Online

Donators
(12-24-2012 10:42 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 10:13 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  ive seen dumber ideas but they have involved 2 handles of Jim Beam and a 12 pack of Busch.

you will get malware every time you hit a reply button from now on.
12-24-2012 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-24-2012 08:52 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  It is very difficult to call today's college sports amateur sports. It is a business, operated much like the NFL. The proposal to play the CUSA Championship game on New Year's Day mirrors the NFL, a "Super Bowl" that is a NFL conference championship game.

UCF played 9-3 Ball State in St. Pete Bowl this year. CUSA's Conference Champion, 10-3 Tulsa, will play Iowa State that went 3-6 in B12 in the Liberty Bowl. Neither St. Pete or Liberty Bowl game does much for me, regarding playing a prestigous opponent. And, I question in B12 will have 9 elgible bowl teams like they did this year. Louisiana Tech came within a breath's hair of playing in Liberty Bowl.

Let's do a what if. What if UCF vs Tulsa Championship game this year was played on New Year's Day and in the city of Mobile. From a Conference Championship game perspective, the prestige and fun of this game is greatly enhanced. The reverse is also true. The game is enhanced to the public perception, being played on New Year's Day. To me, a 9-3 Tulsa playing a 9-3 UCF on New Year's Day trumps any "prestige" CUSA bowl played.

Not only in the CUSA Conference Championship game enhanced, now its other teams are enhanced in their bowl games. A 8-4 ECU would now probably play 6-6 (3-6 in B12 Conference play) Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl, rather than the PreXmas New Orleans Bowl. I think ECU fans would be greatly pleased and turn out in great numbers.

Why are we CUSA so smitten with playing a 6-6 BCS team in a bowl, probably with a 3-6 conference record, in a bowl game? If a CUSA team wants to play a prestigous BCS team during the season, do it in Nonconference scheduling.

Louisiana Tech was mocked for turning down the Independence Bowl against ULM. But, really, other than the extra practice time, what did Louisiana Tech gain by playing this Independence Bowl? Win and the reaction is so what? La Tech should have won this game. Lose and La Tech is criticized and mocked. The situation here, in a way, applies to all the minor bowls.

All the CUSA bowls need to be reviewed and evaluated. My perspective is choose a fun site (like Mobile, San Antonio, New Orleans, Hawaii) first as a fun place to go as a reward to team and fans, and then try to upgrade the opponent as much as possible.

Nbe-14/16 whatever, MWC-9/10/12/14 whatever, SBC, and MAC will probably play a lot of bowl games against CUSA. If CUSA can reorganize its bowls and put its bowls in attractive cities (Miami with FIU, San Antonio with UTSA, maybe Carolina with UNCC), then CUSA can have the opportunity to get the better teams from its NonAQ fellow conferences, an upgrade of opponent.

Together, with playing the CUSA Conference Championship game on New Year's Day, will help to set up a conference wide attractive set of bowl opponents with a worthy opponent for each CUSA team.

The biggest problem I see is you have to be a conference champ to be considered for the non-AQ BCS slot. That selection would be made before CUSA has a champ, thus effectively barring CUSA from the nonAQ BCS slot. That doesn't make much sense to me.

If you dont want a low end AQ bowl qualifier as the opponent, the best chance at an opponent that has a strong record might be for the conference to consider a return to playing the Mountain West champion in their #1 bowl. I assume that will eventually be the Heart of Texas Bowl in the old Cotton Bowl stadium.
12-24-2012 10:57 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(12-24-2012 10:57 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Good thing I usually use Quick Reply 03-lmfao
12-24-2012 12:13 PM
aTxTIGER Online

Donators
(12-24-2012 12:13 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 10:57 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Good thing I usually use Quick Reply 03-lmfao

In that case, you probably have syphillis.
12-24-2012 01:25 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
Tallgrass, I don't agree with your comment, but I hope that you have a merry Christmas. You've been through a lot this year and I hope that you can find peace and comfort through the season.
12-24-2012 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.