Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Basketball Report Card
Bookmark and Share
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
CUSA Basketball Report Card
I listed the teams according to their RPI from CBSsports and then I graded them. This is not a list of where teams will finish in the conference. Overall CUSA has performed poorly despite some teams having a good won-loss record. There is no way we get more than one team in the NCAA this year unless the top four RPI teams don't lose again.

USM- 8-4, RPI=70, SOS 187, all four losses on the road and none are bad losses, 3 wins at home 3 wins away and 2 neutral court win, only one win against top 100 RPI- Western Kentucky (77). Grade A

UTEP- 6-5, RPI=94, SOS 17, Losses- 1@home, 1 away, 3 neutral, Bad losses were neutral site against Clemson (192) & Vandy (202), 2 wins against top 100 RPI- Oregon (56), Nebraska (57). Grade B+

Memphis- 7-3, RPI 115, SOS 113, Losses- 1@home, 2 neutral, all losses were to top 30 RPI teams, No wins against top 100 RPI teams. Grade C+ because expectations were high.

Tulsa- 6-5, RPI 117, SOS 122, Losses- 1@home, 3 away and 1 neutral, Bad loss away to Ark Little Rock (189), No wins against top 100 RPI teams. Grade C+ because the expectations were lower.

ECU- 4-3, RPI 122, SOS 197, All losses were away to top 100 RPI teams and all were within 6-12 points, All wins were against teams with RPIs from 176-342 with 3 at home and 1 away. Grade C

UCF 7-3, RPI 133, SOS 193, all losses were to top 50 RPI teams with 2 at home and 1 away, no wins against top 100 RPI teams. Grade C

UAB 6-6, RPI 139, SOS 80, 1 road win agaisnt Troy (305), one bad loss on neutral court against TCU (211), wins against teams with RPI 212-216. Grade C-

SMU 9-4, RPI 145, SOS 303, 3 road wins TCU (211) Texas st. (294), Hofstra (309), 3 bad losses @Utah (119) @ Rhode Island (143) neutral Ark Little Rock (189), best win at home against Utah. Grade B, because expectations were very low

Tulane 10-3, RPI 187, SOS 339, all losses were away, one bad loss to San Diego (252), best win against #108 Southern U., 5 wins against teams with RPI over 300. Grade C- SOS realy hurts

Marshall 7-6, RPI 220, SOS 205, three losse to teams with RPI above 100 Villinova(101) road, W.Virgina(111) neutral, Hofstra(309) road, all wins at home against teams with RPI 175-281. Grade D, Injuries have hurt but the team had high expectations.

Houston 9-2, RPI 221, SOS 347, one bad loss at Prairie View (212), wins were at home against teams with RPI 182-331.
Grade D, you cant lose to Prairie View.

Rice 2-7, RPI 319, SOS 250, 2 wins against teams with RPI above 300, 5 losses to teams with RPI from 168-238. Grade F, I know transfers have killed the team this year but you have to win a few games.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 10:17 PM by stanman505.)
12-24-2012 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
RE: CUSA Basketball Report Card
I'd give us an F
12-24-2012 11:41 AM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
(12-24-2012 11:41 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  I'd give us an F

I think a D is fair grade. F is not. I know what you're saying but we've had injuries to Kane, Goff, Mbao, and we've had lackluster play from Tinnon and Martin who should have stepped up in their respective roles. Now that Kelvin Amayo is eligible I know the team will improve as he can play PG while Kane will be able to move back to his SG role that he is obviously more comfortable playing. We have a solid front Kurt and once the backcourt stabalizes the rest will take care of itself.

Perfect timing as conf play will be starting.
12-24-2012 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
We were not within 8 against Charlotte it was 12, but either way even with that being our worst loss we don't have anything that resembles a bad loss. Also don't have anything that resembles a good win so I'd agree with somewhere in the C range.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 12:05 PM by b0ndsj0ns.)
12-24-2012 12:03 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
We should have won at least one of the 3 games we had against ranked teams. Based on expectations, C+ is close but perhaps a little high in my opinion.

Although we outplayed a top 10 Louisville for most of the game, when foul calls went against us, we couldn't adjust mentally or physically to keep key players on the court long enough to win. C- may be a little closer when the high expectations are taken into account.

We've got work to do to reach a comfortable game pace against strong defenses and to get top effort from most on a consistent basis. The remaining non-conference schedule will be key in fixing our issue. We still have a good shot at having a really good year, but some things need to change for that to happen.
12-24-2012 12:06 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
We should've beat EVERY team we've lost to....seriously. We led Arizona the entire game except for the last few minutes. We were beating Wichita State by like 12 w/ about 10 minutes left....and we gave it away. Both La Tech and NMSU are not nearly as good as Wichita State and Arizona....but oh well, we're young and that happens. This Southern Miss bball team is scary good. W/ the absolute insane defense we play, we are a big man/center away from being a sweet 16 team.....
12-24-2012 12:24 PM
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

Those without an A will write "I will not lose to a bad team again" 100 times on the board.

These are only progress-reports. There is still time to improve grades, and avoid the tutoring sessions.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 03:43 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
12-24-2012 01:50 PM
cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Considering my expectations going into the season I would give us an A also. We were depleted from last year. Donnie T can coach. I hope we can keep him in a few years, he might be able to make us a solid basketball school.
12-24-2012 03:02 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(12-24-2012 12:24 PM)TTT Wrote:  We should've beat EVERY team we've lost to....seriously. We led Arizona the entire game except for the last few minutes. We were beating Wichita State by like 12 w/ about 10 minutes left....and we gave it away. Both La Tech and NMSU are not nearly as good as Wichita State and Arizona....but oh well, we're young and that happens. This Southern Miss bball team is scary good. W/ the absolute insane defense we play, we are a big man/center away from being a sweet 16 team.....

Quote:USM- 8-4, RPI=70, SOS 187, all four losses on the road and none are bad losses, 7 wins at home and 1 neutral, only one win against top 100 RPI- Western Kentucky (77). Grade A

Agreed TTT.. we should have beat every team, but that being said, I dont' think we deserve an "A".. a strong "B", maybe. (You shouldn't lose games the way were originally dominating Wichita State.).

Give us another year of recruiting, especially for a team this young, find us a BIG man in the middle... and I think we are a legitimate big dance contender.
12-24-2012 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
(12-24-2012 12:06 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  We should have won at least one of the 3 games we had against ranked teams. Based on expectations, C+ is close but perhaps a little high in my opinion.

Although we outplayed a top 10 Louisville for most of the game, when foul calls went against us, we couldn't adjust mentally or physically to keep key players on the court long enough to win. C- may be a little closer when the high expectations are taken into account.

We've got work to do to reach a comfortable game pace against strong defenses and to get top effort from most on a consistent basis. The remaining non-conference schedule will be key in fixing our issue. We still have a good shot at having a really good year, but some things need to change for that to happen.

In the Louisville game there was no adjustment which would have worked. Stuart would have called fouls on our guys in the locker room had he been able to. We were flat out better than them that game. When national columnists and the play by play guys doing the TV broadcast were talking about it; it was an obvious screw job.

Our big problems are this- Adonis has to be more aggressive (hopefully the last game was the start of that) and Chris Crawford has to stop taking multiple plays off. Joe Jackson is playing well, DJ has been amazing, and Geron Johnson is the best player in CUSA right now (no, that isn't hyperbole). If Adonis will start attacking the rim and stop jacking up threes....well....
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 04:37 PM by transitt.)
12-24-2012 04:35 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Southern isnt a good win even if they beat texas am. C- fits but we should be 12-1
12-24-2012 06:01 PM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2012 11:37 AM)stanman505 Wrote:  I listed the teams according to their RPI from CBSsports and then I graded them. This is not a list of where teams will finish in the conference. Overall CUSA has performed poorly despite some teams having a good won-loss record. There is no way we get more than one team in the NCAA this year unless the top four RPI teams don't lose again.

USM- 8-4, RPI=70, SOS 187, all four losses on the road and none are bad losses, 7 wins at home and 1 neutral, only one win against top 100 RPI- Western Kentucky (77). Grade A

We have only played 3 home games. Here's a breakdown of our schedule
3 home games (WKU, Grambling St, Denver)
2 neutral games (UC Irvine and Liberty - both games at Sam Houston St)
7 road games (Georgia, Sam Houston St, New Mexico St, Arizona, La Tech, Ga State, Wichita St,
12-24-2012 06:22 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

(12-24-2012 06:22 PM)usm99 Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 11:37 AM)stanman505 Wrote:  I listed the teams according to their RPI from CBSsports and then I graded them. This is not a list of where teams will finish in the conference. Overall CUSA has performed poorly despite some teams having a good won-loss record. There is no way we get more than one team in the NCAA this year unless the top four RPI teams don't lose again.

USM- 8-4, RPI=70, SOS 187, all four losses on the road and none are bad losses, 7 wins at home and 1 neutral, only one win against top 100 RPI- Western Kentucky (77). Grade A

7 road games (Georgia, Sam Houston St, New Mexico St, Arizona, La Tech, Ga State, Wichita St,

Sorry usm99. I am not sure what I was looking at. I still think your grade is acurate and I will edit my original post.
12-24-2012 06:30 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2012 06:30 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 06:22 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

Sorry usm99. I am not sure what I was looking at. I still think your grade is acurate and I will edit my original post.

No problem...but one more correction to your corrected post....we have 2 neutral court wins. Enjoyable thread still
12-24-2012 07:04 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(12-24-2012 04:35 PM)transitt Wrote:  In the Louisville game there was no adjustment which would have worked. Stuart would have called fouls on our guys in the locker room had he been able to.

LOl.. sounds like us and the Arizona game... we go up by double digits and the refs starting calling fouls on us left and right. (and ignoring our coaches demands for Time outs and such.)
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 08:28 PM by DaSaintFan.)
12-24-2012 08:28 PM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
(12-24-2012 08:28 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 04:35 PM)transitt Wrote:  In the Louisville game there was no adjustment which would have worked. Stuart would have called fouls on our guys in the locker room had he been able to.

LOl.. sounds like us and the Arizona game... we go up by double digits and the refs starting calling fouls on us left and right. (and ignoring our coaches demands for Time outs and such.)

We were playing, at home, and had five players foul out. Louisville had no one in foul trouble. The TV commentators were even talking about it. They were in the double bonus with ten minutes left in the game. It was RIDICULOUS.
12-24-2012 10:21 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
Be glad we aren't in the conference yet. Yuck!
12-24-2012 10:24 PM
Knightshift Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
I can't argue giving UCF a "C." We've beaten the teams we were supposed to be beat, but really got handled easily by UF and especially by Miami. A lack of depth hurt us against MTSU, but it's not an excuse for losing to them at home, although I recognize they are a very solid team. To be honest, the season has been kind of a "yawn" so far.
12-24-2012 11:19 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(12-24-2012 04:35 PM)transitt Wrote:  Geron Johnson is the best player in CUSA right now.

Whatever. He's not even in the top 10 most productive players in CUSA. Usually the best players are actually doing big things on the court.

Quote:If Adonis will start attacking the rim and stop jacking up threes....well....

He'd still be as overrated and unproductive as he has been from the first day he stepped on a college court.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 11:29 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-24-2012 11:27 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
when jonesing can't argue how his team got a certain grade... you gotta know this report card is pretty accurate
12-25-2012 02:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.