Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Utlimately does the nBE implode/dissolve?
HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tulane
Utlimately does the nBE implode/dissolve?
If Uconn and Cincy seem to be inevitably destined to leave does it make sense to form a conference around them?

Does UH and SMU stay realizing this and going with the MWC which would be the best of the rest conference. Add in the fact that Aresco will not be able to put together a TV deal that even approaches what the reworked MWC deal is and you have to wonder.

That would leave a league of USF, UCF, Memphis, Temple, Tulane, and ECU.

I'm not sure anyone would leave where they are to join this league...so do these schools go back to MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt etc...?

I think it is possible that these are the last days of the nBE....what do you think?
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 11:52 AM by HSV Fan.)
01-01-2013 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Utlimately does the nBE implode/dissolve?
It already dissolved. Some folks just don't see it yet.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 11:53 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-01-2013 11:53 AM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(01-01-2013 11:51 AM)HSV Fan Wrote:  If Uconn and Cincy seem to be inevitably destined to leave does it make sense to form a conference around them?

Does UH and SMU stay realizing this and going with the MWC which would be the best of the rest conference. Add in the fact that Aresco will not be able to put together a TV deal that even approaches what the reworked MWC deal is and you have to wonder.

That would leave a league of USF, UCF, Memphis, Temple, Tulane, and ECU.

I'm not sure anyone would leave where they are to join this league...so do these schools go back to MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt etc...?

I think it is possible that these are the last days of the nBE....what do you think?

Nice troll post. You joined what yesterday. Man talk about the roaches scurrying out of the woodwork. Don't we have enough negative posts and posters already. 05-ban
01-01-2013 11:54 AM
HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I'm sorry...I didn't realize opinions and thoughts were relevant to the amount of time one belongs to a sports forum.

I am asking a sincere question. I would prefer that what is left of the nBe forge on and make a go of it but I think any rational thinking AD has to ask the questions that I just did.

Tell me what I said that was inflamatory regarding the desire of Uconn and Cincy to leave (I believe this forum is loaded with posters who have been members for years and posted thousands of times this very idea-- since this seems to matter to you). Tell me what is inflamatory about reports that UH and SMU are considering leaving? I believe that has also been reported here and in mainstream media.

If both of these come to pass, is it not a relevant question to ask? Why would people leave their conferences for what is left? Every school looks after their own self interest (e.g., Boise) and the nBe is no different.

If a TV deal cannot be made that keeps members and does better than a CUSA or Sunbelt deal, then why stay?

But I guess since I don't have 1000 posts that is an insane question to ask.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 12:04 PM by HSV Fan.)
01-01-2013 12:03 PM
Boise fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
The Big East won't dissolve. Too many schools have already committed their future to this new conference. I think the Catholics will retain the name and the new conference will find its own brand, but it will most certainly live on and continue to strengthen. There are still a lot of potential adds for this conference, and it can still have a bright future.

I think it will depend on who Aresco invites, and that they focus on the east, and let the "National Conference" experiment go.

And I wish the nBE well, and expect them to compete with us vigorously for the open BC$ slot every year.
01-01-2013 12:03 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(01-01-2013 12:03 PM)HSV Fan Wrote:  I'm sorry...I didn't realize opinions and thoughts were relevant to the amount of time one belongs to a sports forum.

I am asking a sincere question. I would prefer that what is left of the nBe forge on and make a go of it but I think any rational thinking AD has to ask the questions that I just did.

Tell me what I said that was inflamatory regarding the desire of Uconn and Cincy to leave (I believe this forum is loaded with posters who have been members for years and posted thousands of times this very idea-- since this seems to matter to you). Tell me what is inflamatory about reports that UH and SMU are considering leaving? I believe that has also been reported here and in mainstream media.

If both of these come to pass, is it not a relevant question to ask? Why would people leave their conferences for what is left? Every school looks after their own self interest (e.g., Boise) and the nBe is no different.

If a TV deal cannot be made that keeps members and does better than a CUSA or Sunbelt deal, then why stay?

But I guess since I don't have 1000 posts that is an insane question to ask.

^^ This is why it's a troll post. You answered your own question. So your attempt to propagate negative information is exposed. 03-lmfao
01-01-2013 12:07 PM
Advertisement

HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

Ok...by your line of thinking, restating conventional wisdom is tantamount to trolling.

I guess I should have made my argument by using outliers and crazy-rumors that are not substatiated by the majority of people in the media and this forum.

I see now...being a rookie to this site I had no idea that rational arguments built on an accepted premise was frowned upon. I will try to remember to post more outlandish/unfounded posts in the future to fit in with your way of thinking.
01-01-2013 12:11 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(01-01-2013 12:11 PM)HSV Fan Wrote:  Ok...by your line of thinking, restating conventional wisdom is tantamount to trolling.

I guess I should have made my argument by using outliers and crazy-rumors that are not substatiated by the majority of people in the media and this forum.

I see now...being a rookie to this site I had no idea that rational arguments built on an accepted premise was frowned upon. I will try to remember to post more outlandish/unfounded posts in the future to fit in with your way of thinking.

I'm not beating on you. I'm pointing out the fact that every post we make on this silly board gives life to rumors, innuendo and plain fantasy. There are many Twits on Twitter, Bloggers and even reporters whom throw crap against the screen and if you repeat it enough times, it gains traction.

I'd rather you use your own mind and make suggestions no matter how outlandish in stead of regurgitating old crap. 03-phew I for one shall try to do the same. 04-cheers
01-01-2013 12:15 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

(01-01-2013 11:53 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  It already dissolved. Some folks just don't see it yet.

You and about a dozen other Cincy fans seem to contribute nothing more than whining about your current situation. What you fail to realize is that you were always an underdog. You were on the outside looking in until 2005, a greater underdog. Even with a BCS bid, the Big East was always an underdog, just a lesser one. Now you're on the outside looking in again, a greater underdog. This is the way of college football.

You can support your team in spite of this situation, or not. If you really hate this situation that much, and seem to find no joy in cheering on the Bearcats, then maybe you should look for a new team.
01-01-2013 12:25 PM
HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

ok, I can accept that. Although I don't think my question has been posted recently in light of the Boise St. departure, and now the potential UH/SMU flight.

This new situation does ask the question if the remaining schools are viable going forward as a group or do they go somewhere else? I thought this was a unique question based upon these supppositions that hadn't been asked before.

If they are true, they are questions that need answers from our AD's about how to proceed.

I would love to hear something from Aresco today about what the plans are now.

Tulane was quoted in the paper this morning that they will NOT be releasing a statement in response to the Boise defection while UCF has released a statement saying they are committed to the nBe. Houston responded by saying only that they are disapointed in the defection but gave no idea about what their plans are other than that they will be guided by self-interest.

Thompson seems to be schooling Aresco on how to deal with schools and their administrators and has created an innovative tv deal to keep Boise and rework the overall TV package. Our TV executive hasn't done much to date but watch a lot of teams leave and invite controversial replacements.

to your point, a lot of the negativity could be ended by having Aresco speak to the media.
01-01-2013 12:25 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(01-01-2013 12:25 PM)HSV Fan Wrote:  ok, I can accept that. Although I don't think my question has been posted recently in light of the Boise St. departure, and now the potential UH/SMU flight.

This new situation does ask the question if the remaining schools are viable going forward as a group or do they go somewhere else? I thought this was a unique question based upon these supppositions that hadn't been asked before.

If they are true, they are questions that need answers from our AD's about how to proceed.

I would love to hear something from Aresco today about what the plans are now.

Tulane was quoted in the paper this morning that they will NOT be releasing a statement in response to the Boise defection while UCF has released a statement saying they are committed to the nBe. Houston responded by saying only that they are disapointed in the defection but gave no idea about what their plans are other than that they will be guided by self-interest.

Thompson seems to be schooling Aresco on how to deal with schools and their administrators and has created an innovative tv deal to keep Boise and rework the overall TV package. Our TV executive hasn't done much to date but watch a lot of teams leave and invite controversial replacements.

to your point, a lot of the negativity could be ended by having Aresco speak to the media.

I agree, having Aresco speak formally may cool the waters. I doubt it will help for long term. What we need is a splash with names of schools that will be present and a media deal. I believe the media deal is being worked atm however, the announcement by the MWC set things back. Oh and by the way, wheres the announcement from Boise State???? I saw the MWC post but it was unclear if any Officials from Boise State were present. I did not see a video so no clue there.

What I believe and what I can prove are far different things. I believe a TV Package is being hammered out with NBC, CBS, Fox and ESPN. I further believe that Houston and SMU will remain. While I'm unclear on Boise St and to a lesser extent SDSU, If our TV Contract is greater then the one the MWC gets, we have a shot at retaining both western teams and poaching more from the west.

The Keys are of course money and whether or not we are all sports or not. If in fact we have a better TV Contract and are all sports then it's a no brainer. If we have a better TV deal and aren't all sports, it will crash and burn.

Most of what has been reported is posturing and do in large part to a lack of knowledge, insecurity and fear in the landscape at this time.

*Nothing is over till it's over!!!!* Until they actually play a game in the conference, then they aren't in that conference. 03-phew
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 12:51 PM by Mestophalies.)
01-01-2013 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Wether UConn or UC leave in the future, they need a league to survive in until that invite does. Te same could be said f the others in the league. We all need a home and don't want to be in new CUSA or new Sun Belt

So for now
UConn,Temple,ECU,UCF,USF,UC,Memphis and Tulane will stay together.
Houston and SMU will have to think about going east or west.
There are others lie Tulsa,UTSA,USM,Marshall etc that will also be available.
The league will survive as an eastern competitor the MWC
01-01-2013 12:38 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
We've had a large rash of new posters open accounts in various school favorites. That were previous banned posters that only come on here to flame the members under different names and schools. Glad to have you here.
01-01-2013 12:51 PM
nastar36 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
No, why would it. Nbe can do nothing but change ECU to full member and finalize a media contract. It would be a very, very strong 10 team conference. In football play everybody, and in basketball home and home with everybody. The hybrid would finally be gone, still stronger than the MAC, Sunbelt, CUSA and comparable to MWC. If we must go to 12 Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA, So. Miss, etc.etc. There are still many possible additions, but without a western all sports division what's the rush to add anybody?
01-01-2013 01:04 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(01-01-2013 01:04 PM)nastar36 Wrote:  No, why would it. Nbe can do nothing but change ECU to full member and finalize a media contract. It would be a very, very strong 10 team conference. In football play everybody, and in basketball home and home with everybody. The hybrid would finally be gone, still stronger than the MAC, Sunbelt, CUSA and comparable to MWC. If we must go to 12 Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA, So. Miss, etc.etc. There are still many possible additions, but without a western all sports division what's the rush to add anybody?

Good point.

If Navy comes on board as planned, they could add Army and have 12 teams for football with a championship game. Army may not have a strong program, but their attendance is good and they bring a national following to enhance a TV contract.
01-01-2013 01:10 PM
HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

If Smu and Houston stay then I agree with a ten team future. I can't see Navy still coming but maybe. I for one am tired of the partial membership idea.

With ten remaining it may do okay with tv given its major markets and four elite basketball programs (uConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple). With less mouths to feed the money may be ok and rival the MWC.

Please get this all resolved soon. Aresco needs to finalize tv and membership soon. Like in a week or so. The longer this goes the worse off the conference will be.
01-01-2013 01:40 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Stay at 10 if Navy leaves and 12 if Navy joins.
01-01-2013 01:49 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-01-2013 01:49 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Stay at 10 if Navy leaves and 12 if Navy joins.

That's my thinking also. Less mouth to split the money with.
01-01-2013 01:51 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(01-01-2013 01:40 PM)HSV Fan Wrote:  If Smu and Houston stay then I agree with a ten team future. I can't see Navy still coming but maybe. I for one am tired of the partial membership idea.

With ten remaining it may do okay with tv given its major markets and four elite basketball programs (uConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple). With less mouths to feed the money may be ok and rival the MWC.

Please get this all resolved soon. Aresco needs to finalize tv and membership soon. Like in a week or so. The longer this goes the worse off the conference will be.

Cincinnati and Temple are not elite basketball programs.
01-01-2013 01:51 PM
HSV Fan Offline
Water Engineer

Ok. Historically significant sound better? Cincy is ranked pretty high aren't they? I don't really follow BB so I won't defend this. Certainly those two schools have success that is greater than most nonBcs schools.
01-01-2013 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.