Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 10 to make a play for North Carolina & Virginia?
Bookmark and Share
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Exclamation Big 10 to make a play for North Carolina & Virginia?
A little birdie from Big 10 country told me. I am not saying its a lock but this bird has Big Bird tendencies and usually when he tells me something I listen. The question is would they leave the ACC? If they do... WOW!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013 06:29 PM by MU ATO.)
01-04-2013 10:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Big 10 to make a play for North Carolina & Virginia?
Depends on if Maryland has to pay the exit fees.
01-04-2013 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
(01-04-2013 10:42 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  A little birdie from Big 10 country told me. I am not saying its a lock but this bird has Big Bird tendencies and usually when he tells me something I listen. The question is would they leave the ACC? If they do... WOW!

SEC>God>Big Ten>Big XII>Pac 12>ACC>what's left

It's not a lateral move,(and we can argue about the order of conference 2-4, but they are all clearly above the ACC) and it probably would earn them more money. If the offer is put out there, I don't see how either team declines.
01-04-2013 10:57 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'm sure the big 10 would like UVA and UNC but i'm not so sure UVA and UNC would join the big 10 as teams 15 and 16. Its not like UVA and UNC won't have a home in a prime league if big moves are made, why make the move? I could see it as some leverage being used towards ND to get them to join the ACC for football more so than UNC and UVA actually moving to the big 10.
01-04-2013 11:06 AM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
"Make a play" does not surprise me. But UVa has baggage (Va Tech) and UNC has power within the ACC and baggage. It would not shock me if UVa left without UNC, with the eventual goal of destabilizing the ACC for later picking up UNC.
01-04-2013 11:07 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Maryland will make $100 million more over the next 10 years being in the Big 10 vice the ACC. Funny UNC gets home court advantage so much being ACC royalty. It will be fun to see them getting smacked around with the physical play in the Big 10.
01-04-2013 11:08 AM
Advertisement

CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
(01-04-2013 11:08 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Maryland will make $100 - $50 = $50 million more over the next 10 years being in the Big 10 vice the ACC. Funny UNC gets home court advantage so much being ACC royalty. It will be fun to see them getting smacked around with the physical play in the Big 10.

FIFY
01-04-2013 11:09 AM
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

I Root For: Southern Miss
If this is true then NC State & Va Tech will go $ec.

You would then wonder if the big12 makes their move to bring in eastern teams fsu & others to completely decimate the acc.
01-04-2013 11:11 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Remember UVa didn't want VaTech in the ACC, it took political arm twisting. They will leave as quick as Maryland.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:12 AM by DaBigBlue.)
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I just don't see UNC leaving. They are to the ACC what Texas is to the Big XII.

The Tobacco Road games are huge, I just don't see UNC willing to give those up. If NC State ultimately receives an SEC invitation, then yes, I can see UNC leaving, but until then I cannot.
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2013 11:11 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I just don't see UNC leaving. They are to the ACC what Texas is to the Big XII.

The Tobacco Road games are huge, I just don't see UNC willing to give those up. If NC State ultimately receives an SEC invitation, then yes, I can see UNC leaving, but until then I cannot.

you mean sorta like The Texas/Texas A&M game use to be?
01-04-2013 11:35 AM
Advertisement

Topcard91 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU Pirates
(01-04-2013 11:11 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I just don't see UNC leaving. They are to the ACC what Texas is to the Big XII.

The TV ratings for those games have been in a steady decline over the past decade. And regardless of basketball interest football is KING and everyone will have to make decisions based on that. BUT right now unc-ch gets to call, for the most part, the shots in the ACC. But as their scandal continues to fester and the ACC overall loses power they may at some point be willing to become a medium fish in a much bigger pond.
01-04-2013 11:49 AM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Unc is a big fish in a pond it built. I'd have a hard time believing they'd leave.
UVA is a small fish in a pond it built. I doubt they'd leave.
NC State is an irrelevant fish in a pond it built. They'd leave.
Both Techs, Clemson, and Florida State are lungfish who would bolt quickly depending on MD's exit fee.
If any if the above happens, the acc is a football "power".
01-04-2013 12:01 PM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech

This was actually rumored/mentioned a couple of months ago, and my initial reaction was like yours. I have a different opinion now...I think that if the SEC was to offer NC State, they'd be outta the ACC faster than you could say jumpin-jack-flash...not that they hate the ACC at all, but the opportunity to be North Carolina's SOLE representative in the vaunted SEC and the additional associated revenue would be too compelling to decline.

As far as Chapel Hill, I think you'd just as likely see UNC entertain the B1G for similar reasons. It's all about how an institution can get press and make more money. Academically, UNC and UVA both match up well with the core institutions of the B1G.

I'm beginning to think the "Tobacco Road Alliance" is about to go the way of the Texas/TAMU rivalry. Happy Trails.

edit...one extra thought...I think the B1G was SERIOUSLY talking to Texas a couple of years ago. That the 'horns would even consider aligning with a bunch of Yankee schools tells me that we are living in a very very different day and time.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 12:05 PM by chuckk3.)
01-04-2013 12:03 PM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UNC will not leave the ACC unless others are leaving and the absolutely have to. UNC has the luxury that they can afford to be patient and wait because any league including the SEC would want them. UNC is the ACC and they aren't going to abandon that and I hate to say it but the ACC just had a strong showing in the bowls and is getting the Sugar Bowl champ in Louisville to come in soon.

I honestly think the ACC is more stable than the Big 12. Remember all they have lost is Maryland and that really wasn't much of a loss, the ACC still has a huge presence in the DC area thanks to UVA and Va Tech.
01-04-2013 12:07 PM
chuckk3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(01-04-2013 12:07 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  UNC will not leave the ACC unless others are leaving and the absolutely have to. UNC has the luxury that they can afford to be patient and wait because any league including the SEC would want them. UNC is the ACC and they aren't going to abandon that and I hate to say it but the ACC just had a strong showing in the bowls and is getting the Sugar Bowl champ in Louisville to come in soon.

I honestly think the ACC is more stable than the Big 12. Remember all they have lost is Maryland and that really wasn't much of a loss, the ACC still has a huge presence in the DC area thanks to UVA and Va Tech.

I do agree that UNC is in NO HURRY, and will likely not act until someone else jumps first.
01-04-2013 12:13 PM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2013 12:13 PM)chuckk3 Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:07 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  UNC will not leave the ACC unless others are leaving and the absolutely have to. UNC has the luxury that they can afford to be patient and wait because any league including the SEC would want them. UNC is the ACC and they aren't going to abandon that and I hate to say it but the ACC just had a strong showing in the bowls and is getting the Sugar Bowl champ in Louisville to come in soon.

I do agree that UNC is in NO HURRY, and will likely not act until someone else jumps first.

The B1G will destroy any conference that ND associates itself with, even if they have to go to 20 or more teams to do it. Any commisioner that gets a call from ND should hang up. Once they take enough teams from the ACC to weaken it enough that ND loses interest, ND will call the Big 12. Big 12, hang up or you're doomed.

And I'm only half kidding.05-stirthepot
01-04-2013 12:23 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Fomer UNC football player John Swofford and former UNC basketball player Jim Delany fighting over their alma mater. Love it.
01-04-2013 12:30 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Given appropriate economics, I think both schools would leave tomorrow. Both are also excellent two-way academic fits.

Would be just a brutal blow for schools like Duke and Wake Forest.
01-04-2013 12:35 PM
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

If n carolina & virginia to the B1G & lets say nc state & va tech to the $ec the beat thing that could happen would be -

Texas, Tx Tech, Oklahoma & Ok St to Pac12 & then the remaining ACC/big12 schools merge.

You then have 4 16team super conferences & hopefully stability & an end to some of this madness!
01-04-2013 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.