Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For the ECU poster who was excited about a NBC/ESPN bidding war....
Bookmark and Share
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
For the ECU poster who was excited about a NBC/ESPN bidding war....
02-23-2013 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: For the ECU poster who was excited about a NBC/ESPN bidding war....
(02-23-2013 02:02 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  This link is for you...enjoy.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ights-deal

There was never going to be a bidding war. You can't repackage the same product in a beat up box and sell it for millions more. Its just not the way the real world works.

If I was a fan/alum/alumni of those schools, I would be looking at my BOT/BOG for answers, cause each of them just got screwed big time. There is no way you can spin it in a positive way.
02-23-2013 02:08 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(02-23-2013 02:08 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  There was never going to be a bidding war. You can't repackage the same product in a beat up box and sell it for millions more. Its just not the way the real world works.

And yet when some of us tried to make this point we got called wrong, trolls, haters, jealouswhoremongers, and so on.

And the only reason they got this deal was because of UConn and the remaining one year of BE Basketball in its current model. Otherwise, it would have probably been the same deal CUSA has now.
02-23-2013 02:11 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

That gold at the end of that BE rainbow turned out to be a turd filled bowl. Of course they all will respond how happy they are to be in the BE and not CUSA. It is all they have left to crow about. All the boasting and all the excitment has been shot to hell. They are no better than CUSA now. I look forward to building this league over again. This time with out that weight around our neck in New Orleans. That is officially the BE's problem now.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 02:13 PM by usmbacker.)
02-23-2013 02:12 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
Sure you can spin it in some positives for the defectors.

It's more money, albeit not even close to what was expected. ( massive understatement to say the least)

On ESPN against opponents of perceived higher quality. I say perceived because I believe that CUS has some quality teams in football/basketball, but the media refuses to acknowledge it.

It is what it is. But, there are some positives to it, however small. I was never for the BE move, and I don't see much difference between the conferences in reality.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 02:15 PM by egrizzard.)
02-23-2013 02:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-23-2013 02:08 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:02 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  This link is for you...enjoy.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ights-deal

There was never going to be a bidding war. You can't repackage the same product in a beat up box and sell it for millions more. Its just not the way the real world works.

If I was a fan/alum/alumni of those schools, I would be looking at my BOT/BOG for answers, cause each of them just got screwed big time. There is no way you can spin it in a positive way.

I agree with your post. However, the CUSA you are in is in the same boat. So as long as you know it will run both ways...
02-23-2013 02:17 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

It's 1.8 mil per school egrizz. And to make matters worst:

The Big East's $10 million figure for the men's basketball season in 2013-14 is based on the seven Catholic schools remaining in the league next season, sources said. If those schools leave the Big East before next year, that figure would be reduced.

So it could be even less money if the C-7 leaves before next year. Geeezzzz.......
02-23-2013 02:17 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2013 02:17 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I agree with your post. However, the CUSA you are in is in the same boat. So as long as you know it will run both ways...

We always known CUSA was in the same boat. You guys are the ones that didn't want to believe the nBE would be in that same boat with us.
02-23-2013 02:19 PM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
There is nothing wrong with conference pride. And I agree with usmbacker, that it will be fun to rebuild the CUSA brand, and rebuild, we must.

The truth is that ALL of the Go5 conferences (with the exception of the MAC) are wholly rebuilt, reconstituted conferences and will have to prove themselves in their new iteration. Again, with the notable MAC exception, we are all former shadows ourselves, so much so that it's hard to predict the actual outcome of who produces the most consistent, on field/on court product in the next 5-10 years. The dust has probably settled for 2013, so let's bring it on and begin the building process for ALL of us to have someone knock Boise State off their lofty, well deserved perch. At this point, they are the only ones with enough consistently high BCS ranking performances to have bragging rights. The rest of us...not so much...yet.
02-23-2013 02:21 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Serious obsession vibes coming from USMBacker.
02-23-2013 02:23 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-23-2013 02:19 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:17 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I agree with your post. However, the CUSA you are in is in the same boat. So as long as you know it will run both ways...

We always known CUSA was in the same boat. You guys are the ones that didn't want to believe the nBE would be in that same boat with us.

I wasn't one of those guys but nBE will have more tv$ than nCUSA. How much more and how close to the P5 who really knows till some contracts get signed.

We can all agree that ESPN will screw us both over.
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
Must have been the shortest war ever ...
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2013 02:23 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  Must have been the shortest war ever ...

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
02-23-2013 02:27 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2013 02:23 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I wasn't one of those guys but nBE will have more tv$ than nCUSA. How much more and how close to the P5 who really knows till some contracts get signed.

We can all agree that ESPN will screw us both over.

To the first statement....it's chump change! To the third sentence, ESPN has and will continuing to screw the nBE. CUSA is with Fox.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 02:28 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
02-23-2013 02:27 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
(02-23-2013 02:17 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It's 1.8 mil per school egrizz. And to make matters worst:

The Big East's $10 million figure for the men's basketball season in 2013-14 is based on the seven Catholic schools remaining in the league next season, sources said. If those schools leave the Big East before next year, that figure would be reduced.

So it could be even less money if the C-7 leaves before next year. Geeezzzz.......

Lol. Hard to argue that. It's tough, because what are you supposed to do?
USM can't sniff an invite to a better conference ( whatever that means) despite having an outstanding football program. ( last year aside). Did Memphis ho themselves out for the chance at a one year jackpot BCS birth!? Yeah, probaly. Did Memphis want to be with UL and UC? Sure.

All this conference }#%^ is tired to me. Some fans turn their noses p at Ark State or MTSU and ODU. Why? It's absurd to me.

Give Georgia Southern or Southern Miss the money to infuse into their programs that the SEC schools get and watch what happens. They'd start whooping some serious arse.

The fact is that there are a few power conferences and then everybody else. If a leader would emerge and make the best of the "left outs" stick together, you'd be on to something. Instead, we scramble over the carcasses to not be the last one of the sinking ship.

Fix the dang ship!
02-23-2013 02:28 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
NBE will make more money than current CUSA. /endthread
02-23-2013 02:30 PM
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2013 02:28 PM)egrizzard Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 02:17 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It's 1.8 mil per school egrizz. And to make matters worst:

USM can't sniff an invite to a better conference ( whatever that means) despite having an outstanding football program. ( last year aside)..

Oh no, USM has had far more than a sniff. Just when the amount to make the move was given, our AD said you have got to be kidding. Makes no fiscal sense. Change the figures and get back to us. I know this for a fact. Now with this crappy tv deal, he is looking smarter by the day.
02-23-2013 02:31 PM
comiceagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-23-2013 02:28 PM)egrizzard Wrote:  

Lol. Hard to argue that. It's tough, because what are you supposed to do?
USM can't sniff an invite to a better conference ( whatever that means) despite having an outstanding football program. ( last year aside). Did Memphis ho themselves out for the chance at a one year jackpot BCS birth!? Yeah, probaly. Did Memphis want to be with UL and UC? Sure.

All this conference }#%^ is tired to me. Some fans turn their noses p at Ark State or MTSU and ODU. Why? It's absurd to me.

Give Georgia Southern or Southern Miss the money to infuse into their programs that the SEC schools get and watch what happens. They'd start whooping some serious arse.

The fact is that there are a few power conferences and then everybody else. If a leader would emerge and make the best of the "left outs" stick together, you'd be on to something. Instead, we scramble over the carcasses to not be the last one of the sinking ship.

Fix the dang ship!

I think the point of the OP is that as it turns out Memphis can't sniff an invite to a better conference either.
02-23-2013 02:35 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
1. Money is better than Conf USA
2. ESPN controls college football and new playoff system. BE on ESPN is best case scenario for the league because of these realities.
3. Two different media sources have called BE the 6th best league.
4. Teams in BE will also benefit from game day revenue based on who is in the league.
5. Is BE a power conf? No. Will ESPN have in its best interest to promote and make BE better , Yes.
02-23-2013 02:40 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2013 02:40 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  1. Money is better than Conf USA
2. ESPN controls college football and new playoff system. BE on ESPN is best case scenario for the league because of these realities.
3. Two different media sources have called BE the 6th best league.
4. Teams in BE will also benefit from game day revenue based on who is in the league.
5. Is BE a power conf? No. Will ESPN have in its best interest to promote and make BE better , Yes.

How is life in LaLa land?
02-23-2013 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.