Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA: Shapiro provided $170K in impermissible benefits
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
NCAA: Shapiro provided $170K in impermissible benefits
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source...least-170k

Apparently, the NCAA's case has been hamstrung by the discarded testimony to the point that Shapiro's alleged "millions" spent on Miami players, coaches, and recruits is pared down to only about $170K in the NCAA Notice of Allegations. At least half of that - about $90K - was trying to get Vince Wilfork and Antrel Rolle to sign with his sports agency. The rest included impermissible benefits to 72 players, 3 recruits and 12 "friends and family members" as well as the various coaches involved (Hurtt, Hill, Fernandez, etc.).
02-27-2013 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: NCAA: Shapiro provided $170K in impermissible benefits
If the NCAA didn't F this up Miami finally would have been slammed hard enough to change the culture down there. We all know Shapiro did that ****.
02-27-2013 05:08 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(02-27-2013 03:21 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source...least-170k

Apparently, the NCAA's case has been hamstrung by the discarded testimony to the point that Shapiro's alleged "millions" spent on Miami players, coaches, and recruits is pared down to only about $170K in the NCAA Notice of Allegations. At least half of that - about $90K - was trying to get Vince Wilfork and Antrel Rolle to sign with his sports agency. The rest included impermissible benefits to 72 players, 3 recruits and 12 "friends and family members" as well as the various coaches involved (Hurtt, Hill, Fernandez, etc.).

It would still fall in the "felony" versus the "misdemeanor" category, at least for me.
02-27-2013 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-27-2013 05:08 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  If the NCAA didn't F this up Miami finally would have been slammed hard enough to change the culture down there. We all know Shapiro did that ****.

Only attorneys would have known how to screw something of this magnitude up so completely that a case would be hard to retrieve. Therefore my suspicion from the beginning was that it was bungled on purpose to prevent some things from coming to the light of day. The question that therefore begs to be answered is, "Why?" Therein lies the guilt, or perhaps lack thereof of the NCAA. How and why lack there of? Miami grew as the command post for the CIA's activity against Castro's Cuba. Characters like Shapiro have served the purposes of such agencies in the past. It's worth considering the contingencies of this line of thinking. It may just be something we have to let go as unfair and crappy as that is. I always found it odd that Shalala wound up as president there.
02-27-2013 05:23 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-27-2013 03:21 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-source...least-170k

Earlier reports said that the NCAA was unable to corroborate many of the claims Shapiro made to Yahoo and that some of the claims the NCAA now says are "corroborated" are only "corroborated" because Shapiro made the claim more than once.

The real question is, what can they prove that doesn't depend solely on Shapiro's testimony and/or the improperly-obtained stuff the NCAA had to exclude? If the legitimately-provable "benefits" are $170,000, then obviously that's still a lot, even when compared to other big violators who have been busted in the past few years.
02-27-2013 05:28 PM
Advertisement

gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Miami will get a slap on the wrist and a stern warning. The NCAA is a joke. Example #920323984903485 on why there is secession talk.
02-27-2013 06:08 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(02-27-2013 05:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-27-2013 05:08 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  If the NCAA didn't F this up Miami finally would have been slammed hard enough to change the culture down there. We all know Shapiro did that ****.

Only attorneys would have known how to screw something of this magnitude up so completely that a case would be hard to retrieve. Therefore my suspicion from the beginning was that it was bungled on purpose to prevent some things from coming to the light of day. The question that therefore begs to be answered is, "Why?" Therein lies the guilt, or perhaps lack thereof of the NCAA. How and why lack there of? Miami grew as the command post for the CIA's activity against Castro's Cuba. Characters like Shapiro have served the purposes of such agencies in the past. It's worth considering the contingencies of this line of thinking. It may just be something we have to let go as unfair and crappy as that is. I always found it odd that Shalala wound up as president there.
Because if the NCAA had a real investigation, daU would wind up with a multi year post season and tv ban. That would affect acc tv contract and inturn NCAA revenue. Same reason why State Penn football is still on tv. It is worth too much to the NCAA for it to not be.
02-27-2013 06:41 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(02-27-2013 06:08 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  Miami will get a slap on the wrist and a stern warning. The NCAA is a joke. Example #920323984903485 on why there is secession talk.

You do know that the presidents of the member schools make the rules of the NCAA right? You know if there was a "secession" those same presidents would most likely put the same rules into place.

[Image: cosby-facepalm.gif]
02-27-2013 06:46 PM
WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-27-2013 05:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Where'd you put the umbrella?
02-27-2013 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.