Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Candid Temple concerns also reflect Nbe issues
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Candid Temple concerns also reflect Nbe issues
If, indeed, the Nbe ends up playing a lot of Thursday and Friday night football games to meet the terms of their $1.8M TV contract, the resulting lower attendance will wipe out any financial gainst of the tv contract. Undoubtedly, this will be an issue for all Nbe schools.

Travel costs for Olympic sports is now an issue, especially with the lower $1.8M TV contract.

Temple paid exit fees and then entrance fees....only to find itself abandoned by its perceived neighbors when it joined Nbe. Those close by teams lobbied Temple to pay high exit fees to get into Nbe quicker.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=621503

Any future Nbe invitee better get a hold of that Nbe/ESPN tv contract and see how many weeknite games are required.....remember how ESPN screwed the MWC into playing all those week nite games?
03-02-2013 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
RE: Candid Temple concerns also reflect Nbe issues
This is a very legitimate point. The nBE has become a sham.
03-02-2013 11:47 AM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-02-2013 11:47 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  This is a very legitimate point. The nBE has become a sham.

CUSA just moved 2 Tulsa home football games to Thursday night for TV.

I don't like weeknight games at all, but anyone outside the B1G,PAC 12, BIG XII & SEC has to endure this. Come to think of it, even a BIG XII team, Iowa State, is playing at Tulsa in one of our Thursday night games.

Tallgrass, please give it a rest. Everyone knows your opinion on the Big East. Anyway, Tulsa may be in the Big East coming up.
03-02-2013 11:59 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(03-02-2013 11:59 AM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 11:47 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  This is a very legitimate point. The nBE has become a sham.

I don't like weeknight games at all, but anyone outside the B1G,PAC 12, BIG XII & SEC has to endure this. Come to think of it, even a BIG XII team, Iowa State, is playing at Tulsa in one of our Thursday night games.

Tallgrass, please give it a rest. Everyone knows your opinion on the Big East. Anyway, Tulsa may be in the Big East coming up.

I don't think he was talking about the Big East. He was talking about the Aresco no-name league.
03-02-2013 12:02 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-02-2013 12:02 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

I don't think he was talking about the Big East. He was talking about the Aresco no-name league.

As of this minute, Tallgrass & I are talking about the Big East. Next Monday or Tuesday, we will be most likely be talking about the Aresco no-name league. (I meant to copy Tallgrass's post instead of yours, my mistake.)

Tallgrass just said any new potential BE invitees better be careful that we know how many weeknight games we have to play. Tulsa just got 2 of our 6 Saturday home games turned in to Thursday night games by CUSA's TV contract.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:09 PM by Tulsafanzz.)
03-02-2013 12:06 PM
hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison
Making me think that the next member will be in the east not not the mid-west? Unless they try to please everyone by adding 3 eventually for 14 teams.
03-02-2013 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ECU, houston, USF, temple, etc, no matter who they add, the league isn't a bus league, nor a top 5 league.
03-02-2013 12:24 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall

it's been a sham from day one and it's the fault of the basketball schools which are fleeing the ship they helped sink
03-02-2013 12:35 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(03-02-2013 12:35 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

it's been a sham from day one and it's the fault of the basketball schools which are fleeing the ship they helped sink

Yeah, it's thos bad boys in the basketball schools who messed up a good thing.

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:58 PM by Melky Cabrera.)
03-02-2013 12:57 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
Do you really feel bad for Temple though? I don't. I mean they got booted from the BE by the same teams that looked to them to bail the league out when they got desperate and teams started leaving only to leave them hanging again with a big bill to the MAC. Burned once, and now twice when do you learn. Wait until UConn leaves, then they will really be loving the BigwannabE.

And common business sense tells you that just because you grow your revenue doesn't mean you are suddenly more profitable. I guess over time we will see if that small bump in revenue they receive from the league and its deals will be enough to offset the increase in cost to fly all sports halfway across the country every year. They have been operating in very regionally compact league for years so it will be quite a change.
03-02-2013 01:08 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Please remember that TU football players may have to miss a lot of class time if TU is also required to play away Thursday night games if the Nbe tv ESPN contract is calling for a lot of THursday and Friday games. A Saturday Memphis, SMU, or HOuston game is doable for a TU fan to go to; Thursday and Friday night, no.

Thanks for update and I corrected my schedule. It wouldn't surprise me to see all 12 Tulsa football games telecast this upcoming season. And, unlike Temple and some Nbe teams, my guess is Tulsa has good attendance at both Thursday night games.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=616111&pid=8906084
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 01:24 PM by Tallgrass.)
03-02-2013 01:15 PM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-02-2013 01:08 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Do you really feel bad for Temple though? I don't. I mean they got booted from the BE by the same teams that looked to them to bail the league out when they got desperate and teams started leaving only to leave them hanging again with a big bill to the MAC. Burned once, and now twice when do you learn. Wait until UConn leaves, then they will really be loving the BigwannabE.

And common business sense tells you that just because you grow your revenue doesn't mean you are suddenly more profitable. I guess over time we will see if that small bump in revenue they receive from the league and its deals will be enough to offset the increase in cost to fly all sports halfway across the country every year. They have been operating in very regionally compact league for years so it will be quite a change.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
03-02-2013 01:18 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

There has to be a better way of doing business and college sports is a business. If invited, TU is going to pay an exit fee and an entry fee to play the same basic schools as before. Then UConn and Cincy leave after B1G goes to 16 and Marshall and USM probably get invited. All wasted energy and time for nothing new...
03-02-2013 01:21 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Temple, Memphis, East Carolina, South Florida, and Central Florida should bond well. While not a bus league, these are fairly short flights.

Our challenge will be to see how the landscape shapes out over the next 10 years. Will we see a rise in programs like Charlotte, Old Dominion, and Georgia State? Will Connecticut and Cincinnati remain. Will Houston and SMU remain?
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 01:53 PM by chess.)
03-02-2013 01:51 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
Add UMass and VCU to the NBE. Navy can serve as VCU's football team.

Makes two divisions:

North
Cincinnati
Connecticut
East Carolina
Massachusetts
Temple
VCU/Navy

South
Houston
Memphis
SMU
Tulane
UCF
USF
03-02-2013 01:53 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
Wrong Thread
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:23 PM by Minutemen429.)
03-02-2013 02:18 PM
Advertisement

Wanker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Villanova
(03-02-2013 01:18 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 01:08 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Do you really feel bad for Temple though? I don't. I mean they got booted from the BE by the same teams that looked to them to bail the league out when they got desperate and teams started leaving only to leave them hanging again with a big bill to the MAC. Burned once, and now twice when do you learn. Wait until UConn leaves, then they will really be loving the BigwannabE.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They haven't learned anything. They are desperately wishing for the ACC to lose teams so they can reunite with many of the same programs.

Temple's best option would be to try building a strong regional football conference. They can't compete with major programs but a league like the CAA, especially if they became FBS would be a good fit. Temple vs. Nova is a popular ticket in Philly now. JMU, URI, Richmond, Delaware, William and Mary, etc. could be fun drive-to games. Get UMass on board and a few others and it could be a good league. Make it FBS and they could compete with the MAC and eventually, the NBE.
03-02-2013 04:36 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
Temple's best option is being in a conference with Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, BC , etc but thats not happening so they are F'd.
03-02-2013 05:32 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(03-02-2013 12:35 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  

Seems like fault should be more than just the BB schools.
03-02-2013 05:55 PM
Panthersville Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State

How is it a "sham"? You participated in the greed that killed the conference, and now you are one of the ones left standing in the rubble. However, it is still a conference that can take from three other neighboring conferences at will. It may not be what you want, but it is a hell of a lot better than what you have left those in conferences beneath you with.

So quit acting like a pouting toddler and deal with it.
03-02-2013 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.