Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why does everyone assume the ACC will get raided first?
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Why does everyone assume the ACC will get raided first?
Who's to say the Big 10 and/or Pac 12 aren't looking at some combination or all of Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma? Missouri obviously doesn't fit in well with the SEC and wanted the Big 10 in the first place. The Big 10 is a research powerhouse and virtually prints money to its teams and could double what the Big 12 schools make over time.

What strikes me as odd in the Big 10 adding Maryland is that they could've gone after anybody - ANYBODY - in the ACC but they chose Maryland. Why get Maryland first when you can get UNC or Virginia instead? The lawsuit is a nasty deal and could come down on either side. But if it comes down on the ACC's side and the $50 million buyout is upheld why would the Big 10 risk it on Maryland instead of one of the other two schools? Delaney has shown to be the most shrewd and cunning commissioner in the business and it doesn't sit well with me he'd make a gamble on Maryland instead of a bigger school.

I know I know the GoR is supposedly infallible. But is it really? If the Big 10 were to offer the Big 12 schools don't you think they would all pool their resources to find a way out of it? Wasn't there some clause that if a certain number of teams all left at once the GoR is voided?

In this case it would leave Kansas State, Iowa State, WVU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State out in the cold. The SEC, if it lost Missouri, would add either Oklahoma State, WVU, or maybe an ACC school. If the ACC lost a member it would add Navy for football only or WVU or UConn. The Big 12 would add Cincinnati and the two Florida schools to get back to 9 or 10, and maybe try for Colorado State and BYU or Boise which would make a halfway decent league.

I'm just throwing this situation out there, I have no sources so don't flame me.
03-02-2013 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hburg Online

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Why does everyone assume the ACC will get raided first?
The ACC will be fine, I don't see defections happening unless Maryland wins.
03-02-2013 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-02-2013 12:20 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  Who's to say the Big 10 and/or Pac 12 aren't looking at some combination or all of Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma? Missouri obviously doesn't fit in well with the SEC and wanted the Big 10 in the first place. The Big 10 is a research powerhouse and virtually prints money to its teams and could double what the Big 12 schools make over time.

What strikes me as odd in the Big 10 adding Maryland is that they could've gone after anybody - ANYBODY - in the ACC but they chose Maryland. Why get Maryland first when you can get UNC or Virginia instead?
The lawsuit is a nasty deal and could come down on either side. But if it comes down on the ACC's side and the $50 million buyout is upheld why would the Big 10 risk it on Maryland instead of one of the other two schools? Delaney has shown to be the most shrewd and cunning commissioner in the business and it doesn't sit well with me he'd make a gamble on Maryland instead of a bigger school.

I know I know the GoR is supposedly infallible. But is it really? If the Big 10 were to offer the Big 12 schools don't you think they would all pool their resources to find a way out of it? Wasn't there some clause that if a certain number of teams all left at once the GoR is voided?

In this case it would leave Kansas State, Iowa State, WVU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State out in the cold. The SEC, if it lost Missouri, would add either Oklahoma State, WVU, or maybe an ACC school. If the ACC lost a member it would add Navy for football only or WVU or UConn. The Big 12 would add Cincinnati and the two Florida schools to get back to 9 or 10, and maybe try for Colorado State and BYU or Boise which would make a halfway decent league.

I'm just throwing this situation out there, I have no sources so don't flame me.

They took Maryland and Rutgers for the TV markets, not for their football prowess
03-02-2013 12:23 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
it's all about the fact these boards were Big East related on CR and many blame the ACC for what happened to them. Notice they all have the ones that left the Big East behind in those raids to rejoin other former BE. And current BE members to be the new ACC. Jealousy plays the roll. Big 12 is a very small Regional conference of mostly Texas and Oklahoma schools along with Kansas. Far away from most other schools that would be unrealistic for most East Coast schools to consider joining no matter the Money involved.
03-02-2013 12:31 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The move i could see is a pac 20. I think its too hard for only a few school's in the central time zone to go out west to the pacific but if its just basically a football only setup, with a 9-1 format, with 20 members that could work. Of course, utah and colorado wouldn't like it but they would be outvoted. I'm sure the original pac 10 school's would be fine with 10 team divisional setup + texas would like to bring along the 6 tx and ok school's in the big 12. Throw in KU and one from ksu, isu, new mexico, byu, boise, unlv, etc. and you got a nice 10 team eastern division. It would probably be ksu to dissolve the big 12 and make it smooth for ku.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:35 PM by bluesox.)
03-02-2013 12:32 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(03-02-2013 12:31 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  it's all about the fact these boards were Big East related on CR and many blame the ACC for what happened to them. Notice they all have the ones that left the Big East behind in those raids to rejoin other former BE. And current BE members to be the new ACC. Jealousy plays the roll. Big 12 is a very small Regional conference of mostly Texas and Oklahoma schools along with Kansas. Far away from most other schools that would be unrealistic for most East Coast schools to consider joining no matter the Money involved.

Jealousy? Yeah thats it, it has nothing to do with the fact that the ACC has just been raided and that the next options for both the SEC and B1G are ACC schools. Yeah everyone is just jealous of the 5th highest paid conference. Yup thats it.

hahahaha you have to LOVE the UofL ego.
03-02-2013 12:34 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 12:32 PM)bluesox Wrote:  The move i could see is a pac 20. I think its too hard for only a few school's in the central time zone to go out west to the pacific but if its just basically a football only setup, with a 9-1 format, with 20 members that could work. Of course, utah and colorado wouldn't like it but they would be outvoted. I'm sure the original pac 10 school's would be fine with 10 team divisional setup + texas would like to bring along the 6 tx and ok school's in the big 12. Throw in KU and one from ksu, isu, new mexico, byu, boise, unlv, etc. and you got a nice 10 team eastern division.

The Pac will NOT invite Boise, BYU or New Mexico. If the SEC and B1G go to 16-18 then you can see the Pac trying to play catch up and most of the Big XII merging with the Pac (UT, Tech, OU, OSU, KU, KSU). Now that only happens if the SEC and B1G move first and guess who they will be raiding first? The ACC. UVA, UNC, Duke, FSU, GT, VT, Clemson and NC St are all legit candidates to be taken by the bigger dogs.
03-02-2013 12:37 PM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
(03-02-2013 12:23 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 12:20 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  Who's to say the Big 10 and/or Pac 12 aren't looking at some combination or all of Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma? Missouri obviously doesn't fit in well with the SEC and wanted the Big 10 in the first place. The Big 10 is a research powerhouse and virtually prints money to its teams and could double what the Big 12 schools make over time.

What strikes me as odd in the Big 10 adding Maryland is that they could've gone after anybody - ANYBODY - in the ACC but they chose Maryland. Why get Maryland first when you can get UNC or Virginia instead?
The lawsuit is a nasty deal and could come down on either side. But if it comes down on the ACC's side and the $50 million buyout is upheld why would the Big 10 risk it on Maryland instead of one of the other two schools? Delaney has shown to be the most shrewd and cunning commissioner in the business and it doesn't sit well with me he'd make a gamble on Maryland instead of a bigger school.

They took Maryland and Rutgers for the TV markets, not for their football prowess

Do Virginia and North Carolina not have TV markets?
03-02-2013 12:39 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 12:39 PM)gocards#1 Wrote:  

The B1G doesn't take islands, they all have to be in continuous states. Maryland is the bridge to VA who is the bridge to NC. Its like Risk, you need to conquer the territory in between first getting to your destination.

EDIT: This is an older map but you can get the idea of what i am talking about. This is the B1G prior to adding RU and Maryland. No islands in the B1G.

[Image: Big_10_map.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 12:47 PM by NJRedMan.)
03-02-2013 12:45 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

Yep jealousy. Is it. Why else do even lower tier ACC schools get picked over Syracuse,BC,Pittsburgh,Louisville, Miami in any Raid You see. Most all posts the rejoin Cincinnati, UConn, USF but fail to add WVU,Rutgers to the mix. Yep Jealousy rules the roost.
03-02-2013 12:45 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 12:45 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Yep jealousy. Is it. Why else do even lower tier ACC schools get picked over Syracuse,BC,Pittsburgh,Louisville, Miami in any Raid You see. Most all posts the rejoin Cincinnati, UConn, USF but fail to add WVU,Rutgers to the mix. Yep Jealousy rules the roost.

WTF? If the ACC gets raided by the B1G they are NOT getting RU into the league. Same goes with WVU. If the ACC loses a chunk of teams you will see teams like Cincy, UConn Temple and USF in the mix for the ACC.
03-02-2013 12:50 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-02-2013 12:32 PM)bluesox Wrote:  The move i could see is a pac 20. I think its too hard for only a few school's in the central time zone to go out west to the pacific but if its just basically a football only setup, with a 9-1 format, with 20 members that could work. Of course, utah and colorado wouldn't like it but they would be outvoted. I'm sure the original pac 10 school's would be fine with 10 team divisional setup + texas would like to bring along the 6 tx and ok school's in the big 12. Throw in KU and one from ksu, isu, new mexico, byu, boise, unlv, etc. and you got a nice 10 team eastern division. It would probably be ksu to dissolve the big 12 and make it smooth for ku.

If the PAC12 ever expands it will have to be with Big12 schools.

The biggest problem is working out a suitable arrangement with Texas and the LHN. That plus the GOR. "If" that can be accomplished....I could see the PAC12 expanding with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State.

I do not see any way the PAC would even consider any schools outside of the Big12, except "possibly" BYU.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 01:07 PM by SMUmustangs.)
03-02-2013 01:02 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

That's exactly what I'm saying. YOU FAILED to list any former Big East school other than VT or in some cases Miami being considered for the B1G,SEC. I said that everyone lists Cincinnati, UConn, and USF as ACC replacements. But Not WVU if Big 12 raided. Always going to SEC and not ACC. Rutgers to B1G never an issue to most fans as it wasn't the ACC grabbing them to piss others off. The point is many posters hate the ACC and want Them raided but No former BE schools carry any weight for B1G or SEC expansion other than VT.
03-02-2013 01:04 PM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
(03-02-2013 12:45 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

The B1G doesn't take islands, they all have to be in continuous states. Maryland is the bridge to VA who is the bridge to NC. Its like Risk, you need to conquer the territory in between first getting to your destination.

EDIT: This is an older map but you can get the idea of what i am talking about. This is the B1G prior to adding RU and Maryland. No islands in the B1G.

[Image: Big_10_map.png]

You forgot to add after North Carolina who is the bridge to Georgia Tech who is the bridge to Florida State and then the ultimate prize falls into place, that little school in South Bend, Indiana.
03-02-2013 01:23 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

The Washington, D.C. to NYC corridor has many more TV sets than Virginia and North Carolina. It's not even close, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor

What strikes me as odd in the Big 10 adding Maryland is that they could've gone after anybody - ANYBODY - in the ACC but they chose Maryland. Why get Maryland first when you can get UNC or Virginia instead? The lawsuit is a nasty deal and could come down on either side. But if it comes down on the ACC's side and the $50 million buyout is upheld why would the Big 10 risk it on Maryland instead of one of the other two schools? Delaney has shown to be the most shrewd and cunning commissioner in the business and it doesn't sit well with me he'd make a gamble on Maryland instead of a bigger school.

The GOR isn't perfect but it's not easy to get out of. Between that, UT's LHN driven commitment to the league, the radioactivity the LHN gives UT to the PAC, the questionable aspects of whether any Big 12 team would have a non-UT offer to the PAC, and the unlikely nature of the B1G wanting KU or MU it leaves not a whole lot of speculation room.

Couple that with Gordon Gee's private comments talking about moving south and east and it's pretty easy to see why the talk is where it is.

Don't let it get to you. I was in the same shoes in 2010 and 2011.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 01:24 PM by 1845 Bear.)
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-02-2013 01:23 PM)S11 Wrote:  

The GOR isn't perfect but it's not easy to get out of. Between that, UT's LHN driven commitment to the league, the radioactivity the LHN gives UT to the PAC, the questionable aspects of whether any Big 12 team would have a non-UT offer to the PAC, and the unlikely nature of the B1G wanting KU or MU it leaves not a whole lot of speculation room.

Couple that with Gordon Gee's private comments talking about moving south and east and it's pretty easy to see why the talk is where it is.

Don't let it get to you. I was in the same shoes in 2010 and 2011.
Hell, I wore those shoes from 2003 until just last year... 03-banghead
03-02-2013 01:32 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(03-02-2013 01:23 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

The Washington, D.C. to NYC corridor has many more TV sets than Virginia and North Carolina. It's not even close, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves...

Exactly. DC and NY/NJ are why Maryland and Rutgers were picked.

Maryland was vulnerable because of the debt the athletic department has. As for Rutgers, the Big East is not the same. Creating security by hooking up with Penn State, Ohio State, etc... is the goal.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 01:40 PM by chess.)
03-02-2013 01:36 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(03-02-2013 01:04 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  That's exactly what I'm saying. YOU FAILED to list any former Big East school other than VT or in some cases Miami being considered for the B1G,SEC. I said that everyone lists Cincinnati, UConn, and USF as ACC replacements. But Not WVU if Big 12 raided. Always going to SEC and not ACC. Rutgers to B1G never an issue to most fans as it wasn't the ACC grabbing them to piss others off. The point is many posters hate the ACC and want Them raided but No former BE schools carry any weight for B1G or SEC expansion other than VT.

What other former BE teams are actual viable candidates for the B1G or SEC? BC? Nope. WVU? Grant of rights is a tough nut to crack and if you actually paid attention to my posts in the past i have had WVU to the SEC and had quite a long conversation about WVU's fit as an SEC school just the other day on these boards. VT makes sense for the SEC. Miami not so much. If FSU is having trouble getting into the SEC then no way Miami makes the cut.

UofL is not an option for either the SEC or B1G.

What other former teams are there? Seriously, what are you talking about?
03-02-2013 01:36 PM
Minutemen429 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
The B1G and SEC have already picked through the Big 12, the ACC can not be raided first. THe B1G and SEC both seem to want to get into Virginia and North Carolina. Whether they can or not remains to be seen.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:45 PM by Minutemen429.)
03-02-2013 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.