I Root For: Fresh Starts
Off-beat thought
Who has raided who among the contract leagues

SEC: Big XII
ACC: Big East
Big XII: Big East, MWC
PAC 12: Big XII, MWC
Big 10: Big East, Big XII, ACC

Only P12, SEC, Big 10 haven't been raided.

Only leagues Big 10 hasn't raided have been P12 but the geography doesn't work.

What if ego plays as much a part as money?

Would the Big 10 make a play for Mizzou or Kentucky just to assert they are the kings, title game results notwithstanding?
03-12-2013 12:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: Off-beat thought
I don't know whether the Big 10 would make a move like that, but I firmly believe ego rivals money as a driving force in conference realignment.
03-12-2013 01:19 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Only leagues Big 10 hasn't raided have been P12 but the geography doesn't work.

Colorado is contiguous to the Big Ten footprint. And given that the B1G has already added Maryland and Rutgers, CU makes a lot of sense because Delany is obviously going for dominant football powerhouses. 05-stirthepot
03-12-2013 01:22 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Who has raided who among the contract leagues

Would the Big 10 make a play for Mizzou or Kentucky just to assert they are the kings, title game results notwithstanding?

Oh yeah! Kentucky just screams Big 10! The wonderful research dollars? The wonderful academics? (One of the lower rankings in the SEC) Large state school that has to share crop its Veterinary Medicine training to Auburn. Absolutely a slam dunk for Delany. Go back to the Mizzou theory. At least it has a scintilla of a chance of happening. I'll forgive the musing because things are slow as rip and and we are all getting long in the tooth over realignment and such wild whimsical ideas seem good early in the morning hours, but when the morning light comes I think this one will fade and you will go back to your usual reasonable, well thought out, and fact based observations that I enjoy reading.

When I get out there please reel me in as well. Take care. JR
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 01:27 AM by JRsec.)
03-12-2013 01:26 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Who has raided who among the contract leagues

Ego does play a part, but I suspect there is a tacit truce between B1G and SEC. They will only fight over UNC. Interesting given that football is driving this and UNC is one of only 4 Big 5 schools not to be ranked in the final AP poll during the BCS era (Duke, UNC, UK, IU-not coincidentally, 4 of the top half dozen basketball programs).
03-12-2013 08:06 AM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(03-12-2013 01:26 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Oh yeah! Kentucky just screams Big 10! The wonderful research dollars? The wonderful academics? (One of the lower rankings in the SEC) Large state school that has to share crop its Veterinary Medicine training to Auburn. Absolutely a slam dunk for Delany. Go back to the Mizzou theory. At least it has a scintilla of a chance of happening. I'll forgive the musing because things are slow as rip and and we are all getting long in the tooth over realignment and such wild whimsical ideas seem good early in the morning hours, but when the morning light comes I think this one will fade and you will go back to your usual reasonable, well thought out, and fact based observations that I enjoy reading.

When I get out there please reel me in as well. Take care. JR

I know several UK season ticket holders that would jump off a bridge the minute a UK to B1G rumor gained any traction. In fact, if this happened, I'm fairly sure Kentucky would go on lockdown. The team would never leave the Commonwealth.
03-12-2013 08:07 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
My driving theory.

Big 10 rarely does the expected.
Big 10 likes to remind people they are in fact the kings of college athletics (and in money production they are)
It's boring right now.
03-12-2013 08:42 AM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(03-12-2013 08:42 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  My driving theory.

Big 10 rarely does the expected.
Big 10 likes to remind people they are in fact the kings of college athletics (and in money production they are)
It's boring right now.

Missouri was ready to sacrifice their first born child to join the B1G a couple of years ago, but that was also before the SEC invite. I'd be surprised but not stunned if something like that happened.
03-12-2013 08:50 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
It wouldn't surprise me at all arkstfan, especially the move on Mizzou. It's too good of an offer for the Mizzou president & academics to refuse IMO. Don't know much about Kentucky to be honest.
03-12-2013 08:50 AM
Advertisement

gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
UK isn't leaving the SEC. Not in a million billion years.
03-12-2013 09:42 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
but Mizzou might. It would make it even more awesome since the SEC supposedly has no exit fee.
03-12-2013 09:55 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-12-2013 08:50 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Missouri was ready to sacrifice their first born child to join the B1G a couple of years ago, but that was also before the SEC invite. I'd be surprised but not stunned if something like that happened.

Mizzou in the Big 10 makes more sense than in the SEC.

(1) more money
(2) closer geography
(3) better academics (14 AAU schools compared to only 3 in the SEC)
(4) better cultural compatibility (i.e. yankees)
03-12-2013 10:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.