Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC looking to raid the Sun Belt?
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
MAC looking to raid the Sun Belt?
The MAC has been very quiet so far in all of the realignment stuff, but today things appear to have changed. Both the MAC and Sun belt boards are buzzing about the possibility of Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette joining the MAC. At first glance, it seems like a strange fit. But once you look closer, you'll notice that the MAC isn't that far away from Jonesboro compared to the future footprint of the Sun Belt. Both universities fit the typical MAC school profile of a mid-sized university in a mid-sized town. They also help with expanding the footprint and leage perception beyond Ohio and Michigan, something that has been at least a secondary goal of every MAC move for the past two decades. Now that the Big Ten has expanded eastward with Rutgers and Maryland, the MAC's eastward expansions to escape their shadow are rendered somewhat moot, and now the MAC is seeking a move in the opposite direction.

Just adding two schools doesn't solve the MAC's major problem of unbalanced divisions, though. They would need a third team. Maybe JMU, maybe Missouri State, maybe WKU. Maybe even App State if the Sun Belt option falls through for them due to conference politics.
03-14-2013 01:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: MAC looking to raid the Sun Belt?
(03-14-2013 01:47 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  The MAC has been very quiet so far in all of the realignment stuff, but today things appear to have changed. Both the MAC and Sun belt boards are buzzing about the possibility of Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette joining the MAC. At first glance, it seems like a strange fit. But once you look closer, you'll notice that the MAC isn't that far away from Jonesboro compared to the future footprint of the Sun Belt. Both universities fit the typical MAC school profile of a mid-sized university in a mid-sized town. They also help with expanding the footprint and leage perception beyond Ohio and Michigan, something that has been at least a secondary goal of every MAC move for the past two decades. Now that the Big Ten has expanded eastward with Rutgers and Maryland, the MAC's eastward expansions to escape their shadow are rendered somewhat moot, and now the MAC is seeking a move in the opposite direction.

Just adding two schools doesn't solve the MAC's major problem of unbalanced divisions, though. They would need a third team. Maybe JMU, maybe Missouri State, maybe WKU. Maybe even App State if the Sun Belt option falls through for them due to conference politics.
I find this interesting. When I was on the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns football staff in the early 90's we were members of the Big West (FB only) along with Northern Illinois and developed a nice rivalry with them....BTW, the Ragin Cajuns will be visiting Akron this year and Akron will return the visit in 2015...looking forward to it....04-cheers
03-14-2013 05:23 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
That wouldn't be terrible I guess. A-state is a good program.
03-14-2013 06:00 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I don't see how this move would make sense for any of the parties being discussed. It's like a north-south version of Boise State and SDSU joining the Big East, except we already know up front that there's no money in it.
03-14-2013 07:26 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
IMO they'd be better off getting any of the following, NDSU, UNI, JMU, Missou St.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 07:52 AM by GaSouthern.)
03-14-2013 07:49 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
The buzz on the MAC board was from a ULL fan who said is was a buzz in LA...google search shows nothing.

I don't believe it. It would cost all of our teams way to much to travel for the Olympic sports. If its just in football then i am warm to the idea.

There most logical but crazy reason for all of this is if the MAC and CUSA want to work together to kill off the Sun Belt to increase their own split of the GO5 pot since it will only be a GO4.
03-14-2013 08:05 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-14-2013 07:26 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I don't see how this move would make sense for any of the parties being discussed. It's like a north-south version of Boise State and SDSU joining the Big East, except we already know up front that there's no money in it.

WKU has been mentioned as next on the CUSA list. And Tulsa seems likely on their way to BE at some point. ASU and ULL could be looking to find a stable home, or at least one not filled with recent move-ups (Texas St., Georgia St., S. Alabama). From the MAC's standpoint, it probably reduces the gang of 5 to a gang of 4, so it would make them more money.
03-14-2013 08:13 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I could see App State. They're atleast within realm of the footprint. UL Lafayette or Ark St. are getting pretty far south.
03-14-2013 08:22 AM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Re: MAC looking to raid the Sun Belt?
If they go after Appy, I am willing to bet it is because they going to add JMU and possibly Delaware.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
03-14-2013 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Benson is like the Kevorkian of college football.
03-14-2013 08:59 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I'll take "Things that make no sense for $1000" Alex.
03-14-2013 09:01 AM
Advertisement

AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Delaware, JMU, and App State to the MAC is a policy I heartily endorse.
03-14-2013 09:21 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
Maybe it could work, especially if UMass is picked up by America's Funniest 12. Then only two school are needed; however, the MAC could replace UMass and still add three and going west could make sense. All schools should be full members too.

U. of Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Arkansas State
UL-Lafayette

I know it will take the conference into a different geographic direction but all the new schools would be continuous.

Probably won't happen though.
03-14-2013 09:50 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Here is my theory on the AState and ULL rumors....

What the MAC really wants is Arkansas State. They aren't much further south of Western Kentucky and would fit into a long range plan of also adding Missouri State eventually.

Ark State is demanding at least 1 other SBC member come for the ride. That is how ULL enters the picture. They've built a decent football program down in Lafayette. They are definitely the best option from the SBC to pair with Ark State.

That puts the MAC at 15 schools for football. Here is an idea what if the MAC added Missouri St, Georgia St and JMU to go along with this for 18?

West: ULL, Ark St, Missouri St, NIU, Ball St, WMU, CMU, EMU,Toledo
East: Georgia St, JMU, UMass, Buffalo, Ohio, Akron, Kent, Miami, BG

MAC schools then could play a 10 game conference schedule with no FCS games for more inventory. This would also allow each school to meet its 5 home game requirement.

Most MAC schools play 1 SBC school for variety anyways. They would just be able to do it in conference this time. That still leaves schools room for a regional rivalry game. For Ohio that game would be Marshall. Then 1 B1G-SEC game for a million dollar payday.
03-14-2013 09:52 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(03-14-2013 09:50 AM)Fireman451 Wrote:  Maybe it could work, especially if UMass is picked up by America's Funniest 12. Then only two school are needed; however, the MAC could replace UMass and still add three and going west could make sense. All schools should be full members too.

U. of Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Arkansas State
UL-Lafayette

I know it will take the conference into a different geographic direction but all the new schools would be continuous.

Probably won't happen though.

I'm thinking along the same lines here but the MAC could expand in both east and west directions.

West: Arkansas State, Louisiana, Missouri State
East: Georgia State, James Madison, UMass

This way the MAC East schools get some new teams to play with too. With the MAC moving to 10 games this also doesn't interfere too much on travel costs.
03-14-2013 10:00 AM
Raleighwood Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(03-14-2013 01:47 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  The MAC has been very quiet so far in all of the realignment stuff, but today things appear to have changed. Both the MAC and Sun belt boards are buzzing about the possibility of Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette joining the MAC. At first glance, it seems like a strange fit. But once you look closer, you'll notice that the MAC isn't that far away from Jonesboro compared to the future footprint of the Sun Belt. Both universities fit the typical MAC school profile of a mid-sized university in a mid-sized town. They also help with expanding the footprint and leage perception beyond Ohio and Michigan, something that has been at least a secondary goal of every MAC move for the past two decades. Now that the Big Ten has expanded eastward with Rutgers and Maryland, the MAC's eastward expansions to escape their shadow are rendered somewhat moot, and now the MAC is seeking a move in the opposite direction.

Karl Benson knows how to destroy a conference. He is doing to the Sun Belt what he allowed to happen to the WAC. He is like human kryptonite.
03-14-2013 10:03 AM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I know that the MAC had Central Florida in the past, but that was football only. I could see Western Kentucky for all sports, but other Sun Belt teams would have to be football only.
03-14-2013 10:07 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Not sure why anyone thinks the MAC is looking to raid or expand beyond its current membership. Sure they've been a nursery to a few programs here and there; UMass, Temple and UCF come to mind. However, I can't recall them making a strategic conference move in over 40 years.

If UMass were to leave, they're still a 12 member conference and unless someone decides to leave from the core 12, I don't think they see any reason to add members.
03-14-2013 10:09 AM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
I would like to see the MAC add WKU with UMass all in. That would be a mjor coup in hoops. Then open up the dialogue with Missouri State for a potential add later. Adding MSU with WKU and UMass would be big for the hoops side. I only like ASU or UL if they take the spot of an existing MAC school. I just don't see it if it causes further dilution unless you are trying to trim the G5 to a G4. Also as someone else posted the MAC hasn't made a strategic move for quite some time so I don't know why they would suddenly get agressive.
03-14-2013 10:19 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(03-14-2013 10:19 AM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  I would like to see the MAC add WKU with UMass all in. That would be a mjor coup in hoops. Then open up the dialogue with Missouri State for a potential add later. Adding MSU with WKU and UMass would be big for the hoops side. I only like ASU or UL if they take the spot of an existing MAC school. I just don't see it if it causes further dilution unless you are trying to trim the G5 to a G4. Also as someone else posted the MAC hasn't made a strategic move for quite some time so I don't know why they would suddenly get agressive.

I think there's a better chance for N. Ill to move to C-USA or the MWC than for the MAC to do any more than back-fill a program here or there.
03-14-2013 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.