Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could the B1G de-emphasize athletics...? (LINK) [merged]
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Could the B1G de-emphasize athletics...? (LINK)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...&eref=sihp

Quote:Ohio State versus Mount Union in a regular-season football game? Wisconsin against Wisconsin-Whitewater in a regular-season basketball game?

This isn't an outreach program between Big Ten schools and their Division III neighbors. It's one possible future Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany envisions if the plaintiffs prevail in Ed O'Bannon vs. the NCAA. In a declaration filed last week in federal court in support of the NCAA's motion against class certification, Delany threatened that any outcome that results in athletes getting a piece of the schools' television revenue could force the schools of the Big Ten to de-emphasize athletics as the Ivy League's schools did decades ago.
03-19-2013 10:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
Big Ten Could de-emphasize athletics....
I know there was a thread about the O'Bannon case a while ago, but I had not seen anything specifically for this article. Apologies if I missed it.

Delany: Big Ten could de-emphasize athletics if O'Bannon plaintiffs win

Quote:Ohio State versus Mount Union in a regular-season football game? Wisconsin against Wisconsin-Whitewater in a regular-season basketball game?

This isn't an outreach program between Big Ten schools and their Division III neighbors. It's one possible future Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany envisions if the plaintiffs prevail in Ed O'Bannon vs. the NCAA. In a declaration filed last week in federal court in support of the NCAA's motion against class certification, Delany threatened that any outcome that results in athletes getting a piece of the schools' television revenue could force the schools of the Big Ten to de-emphasize athletics as the Ivy League's schools did decades ago.

Is this posturing? Would the B1G as we know it actually do this en-masse. How would this affect current realignment, let alone the future.
03-19-2013 10:44 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: Big Ten Could de-emphasize athletics....
03-19-2013 10:45 AM
sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
RE: Big Ten Could de-emphasize athletics....
(03-19-2013 10:45 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=625105

Yes i see you posted your as I was building my post.
03-19-2013 10:49 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
RE: Could the B1G de-emphasize athletics...? (LINK)
I thought they de-emphasized years ago! 02-13-banana
03-19-2013 10:50 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Yeah, the Ed O'Bannon case could be one that ends college sports as we know it today. For everyone.
03-19-2013 10:52 AM
Advertisement

JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
It's hot air. It's like MLB saying they would fold franchises if they didn't get a salary cap.
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
It won't hurt the B1G. The CIC is where the real money is.
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-19-2013 10:52 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Yeah, the Ed O'Bannon case could be one that ends college sports as we know it today. For everyone.

Lol, I don't believe the hype. But, if true that it will move the Big Ten to Division II or III (which it won't), I say....Go, Ed O'Bannon!
03-19-2013 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-19-2013 10:52 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  It's hot air. It's like MLB saying they would fold franchises if they didn't get a salary cap.

Yup, Delany is trying to sell a load of crap. No chance in hell that Ohio State and Michigan are shutting down their football factories, even if some court decision means they can only exploit 99% of the value of their athletes instead of 100%. Ending FBS football would cost each of them hundreds of thousands if not millions a year in donations to the university.
03-19-2013 11:11 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Funny how Delany is getting the headlines.

Wake Forest president "It is possible that Wake Forest might cease playing Division I or Football Bowl Subdivision sports entirely if pay-for-play became a reality,"

Texas "has no interest in a model that would force us to professionalize two sports to the detriment of the balance of the athletics department's sports, fitness and educational programs," according to a statement by Texas Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds and Texas Women's Athletics Director Christine Plonsky

Utah State president says cannot fund 16 sports at USU if the model is adopted and noted that student-athletes receive 4X the aid of the average student.

SEC associate commissioner says students who don't like the revenue sharing model are free to go pro. Also says that if the SEC has to work to maximize revenue under an unfavorable O'Bannon ruling that the SEC would be forced to constrain the supply of games for TV in order to command a premium price rather than seeking to have the maximum number of games telecast as they currently do.
03-19-2013 11:13 AM
Advertisement

apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
It's the "I'll take my ball and go home in you don't do what I want" card. :rollseyes:
03-19-2013 11:14 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Wasn't that long ago that union representatives encouraged their members to call the bluff of Hostess Bakeries because there was no way they were going to dissolve the company in bankruptcy.

I don't think Delany, et.al., are bluffing.

An unfavorable O'Bannon ruling could easily place football and basketball in a situation where the schools face huge liability in Title IX compliance. Extra pay potentially triggers the need to comply with worker's compensation law and premiums for basketball would not be cheap and for football they would be much higher. It could be wage and hour compliance issues as well.

What they might very well do is break away, impose spending caps on athletics, and eliminate ability based aid and go to a system based on academic aid and financial need.
03-19-2013 11:19 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(03-19-2013 11:14 AM)apex_pirate Wrote:  It's the "I'll take my ball and go home in you don't do what I want" card. :rollseyes:

The post by Arkstfan shows that most athletic admins around the country feel this way. What isn't being said is that an athlete getting a free ride at a division 1 school is already getting well compensated in free tuition. As for athletes being able to capitalize on their image while in school, if the ruling is that limited then it shoudn't have an adverse impact on schools supporting their athletic programs. But if schools have to actually pay athletes on top of room, board and tuition then there will be many schools, apparently even some big name ones, that won't be able to keep 16 or 20 sports as they have now. Could have a far reaching and unintended consequence.
03-19-2013 11:24 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I see no problem with letting amateur athletes capitalize on the fact that they are the faces of the program. Their university capitalizes on that fact while they're in school. The athletes themselves should be able to use that fact to make some money. Advertising is a good way to do that, without impacting additional expenditure on their university...
03-19-2013 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-19-2013 11:14 AM)apex_pirate Wrote:  It's the "I'll take my ball and go home in you don't do what I want" card. :rollseyes:

If I am the SEC or any other conference I think what I do right now is tell the NFL and NBA that any league that doesn't allow the signing or drafting of high school seniors will be denied scouting privileges, will be given no access to film, and no access to players.

Right now intercollegiate baseball and hockey are healthy despite top players going pro without going the college route. Even intercollegiate soccer is growing despite top athletes opting pro over college.

The only fly in the ointment is basketball where you are limited to signing with a foreign team or one of the sundry nickle and dime American pro leagues and the NFL where you have to be a junior.

The NFL and to a lesser degree the NBA are forcing kids to opt for college whether they desire to go to college or not. If they want to commercially exploit their likeness, they can go the pro route in every sport except football.
03-19-2013 11:35 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(03-19-2013 11:33 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I see no problem with letting amateur athletes capitalize on the fact that they are the faces of the program. Their university capitalizes on that fact while they're in school. The athletes themselves should be able to use that fact to make some money. Advertising is a good way to do that, without impacting additional expenditure on their university...

This is going to sound crude but, I think the value of the players is grossly over-stated.

There are an abundance of people who gave up their Cavs jersey to buy a Heat jersey. I know people with multiple team jerseys of soccer players following their moves from team to team and league to league.

But I'd like to see how many West Virginia fans would buy the jersey of the Mountaineers starting point guard or quarterback if he transferred to Pitt or Marshall.

In college the school, the colors, the logo, the history, the tradition are the selling point. There are very very few people who are such a fan of a player that they would go buy their jersey from each stop along the way if the player transfers.

Rarely are college games marketed as Player X vs. Player Y the way pro games are. They are marketed almost exclusively as School X vs. School Y or Conference X vs. Conference Y.

The intercollegiate market is not like the pro market.
03-19-2013 11:40 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(03-19-2013 11:33 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I see no problem with letting amateur athletes capitalize on the fact that they are the faces of the program. Their university capitalizes on that fact while they're in school. The athletes themselves should be able to use that fact to make some money. Advertising is a good way to do that, without impacting additional expenditure on their university...

Then that'll cross the line to being a professional instead of a collegiate athlete. If the athletes don't care about getting a free education then they can go to the NBA D-league or the CFL/WFL...etc and be a professional there and then see if they get drafted into the NBA or NFL.
03-19-2013 11:41 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-19-2013 11:19 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Wasn't that long ago that union representatives encouraged their members to call the bluff of Hostess Bakeries because there was no way they were going to dissolve the company in bankruptcy.

I don't think Delany, et.al., are bluffing.

An unfavorable O'Bannon ruling could easily place football and basketball in a situation where the schools face huge liability in Title IX compliance. Extra pay potentially triggers the need to comply with worker's compensation law and premiums for basketball would not be cheap and for football they would be much higher. It could be wage and hour compliance issues as well.

What they might very well do is break away, impose spending caps on athletics, and eliminate ability based aid and go to a system based on academic aid and financial need.

I think there's a good chance its not an idle bluff either. The only compromise I see them possibly making is for licensing and re-broadcasts after an athlete has graduated. Maybe creating some kind of fund and compensating athletes in a similar manner to actors on reruns. But that would be very complicated, both in computing the "royalty" and in allocating it to participants. Licensing with sales of numbered jerseys is challenging, even more so if there is a name.
03-19-2013 11:42 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-19-2013 11:35 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

If I am the SEC or any other conference I think what I do right now is tell the NFL and NBA that any league that doesn't allow the signing or drafting of high school seniors will be denied scouting privileges, will be given no access to film, and no access to players.

Right now intercollegiate baseball and hockey are healthy despite top players going pro without going the college route. Even intercollegiate soccer is growing despite top athletes opting pro over college.

The only fly in the ointment is basketball where you are limited to signing with a foreign team or one of the sundry nickle and dime American pro leagues and the NFL where you have to be a junior.

The NFL and to a lesser degree the NBA are forcing kids to opt for college whether they desire to go to college or not. If they want to commercially exploit their likeness, they can go the pro route in every sport except football.

I think it was interesting Deloss Dodds said that he thought if anyone ever challenged the baseball rules, they would win. I believe you either have to go out of high school or wait until you are a junior in college. But in baseball the careers can be longer and the $ difference isn't as much for that level of player. So no one's challenged it yet.
03-19-2013 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.