Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ESPN nbe deal needs UConn, UC, UH, Temple
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
ESPN nbe deal needs UConn, UC, UH, Temple
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ng-sources

Interesting termination/renegotiation clauses in TV deal. UConn, Cincy, Houston and Temple are "group A."

Also bb deal goes down to $6 million w/o C7.

NBC Sports Network's contract divided the league into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members), sources said.

The media rights deal can be terminated if either two Group A schools leave or one Group A and one Group B school leave. If two Group B schools leave, the contract will be renegotiated, sources said. This does not include any schools that already have announced they are leaving, such as Louisville, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh or Syracuse.
03-19-2013 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: ESPN nbe deal needs UConn, UC, UH, Temple
Hopefully this wouldn't keep ESPN from allowing the ACC to take UC or UConn to their conference in the future.
03-19-2013 03:32 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-19-2013 03:32 PM)mlb Wrote:  Hopefully this wouldn't keep ESPN from allowing the ACC to take UC or UConn to their conference in the future.

Doesn't say they have to terminate the deal, only that they have that option.
03-19-2013 03:33 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I posted this on the old BIG EAST boards as well.

Interesting to say the least. The Tier A teams are Cincinnati, Connecticut, Temple, and Houston. Two of the four teams are on the rumored next two in for realignment. No mentions of Central or South Florida. Two thoughts/questions on this.

1. Since ESPN holds all the cards, could they sink the conference by suggesting to the Big XII or ACC to take two of the Tier A teams? Thus making the contract null and void.

2. This thought is based on rumors flying around the internet that the Big XII is interested in adding Central Florida and South Florida which are Tier B schools. Would ESPN "allow" the Big XII to have them to have a greater tv audience in Florida for BIG XII games?

It seems with each passing day that ESPN is the sole responsible party for realignment.
03-19-2013 03:46 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-19-2013 03:46 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  I posted this on the old BIG EAST boards as well.

Interesting to say the least. The Tier A teams are Cincinnati, Connecticut, Temple, and Houston. Two of the four teams are on the rumored next two in for realignment. No mentions of Central or South Florida. Two thoughts/questions on this.

1. Since ESPN holds all the cards, could they sink the conference by suggesting to the Big XII or ACC to take two of the Tier A teams? Thus making the contract null and void.

2. This thought is based on rumors flying around the internet that the Big XII is interested in adding Central Florida and South Florida which are Tier B schools. Would ESPN "allow" the Big XII to have them to have a greater tv audience in Florida for BIG XII games?

It seems with each passing day that ESPN is the sole responsible party for realignment.

Who knows. I find it kind of interesting that Houston is on Group A list. They probably won't get the call to ACC, and are unlikely to go to B12 without defections. I can see Temple on the list though. Not sure why USF and UCF were put on group B. Maybe we're just reading too much into it.
03-19-2013 04:10 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(03-19-2013 04:10 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(03-19-2013 03:46 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  I posted this on the old BIG EAST boards as well.

Who knows. I find it kind of interesting that Houston is on Group A list. They probably won't get the call to ACC, and are unlikely to go to B12 without defections. I can see Temple on the list though. Not sure why USF and UCF were put on group B. Maybe we're just reading too much into it.

Kinda surprised SMU wasn't as valued as much as UH.
03-19-2013 04:12 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
How did you beat Tallgrass to posting this story? :)
03-19-2013 04:19 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(03-19-2013 04:12 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

I am not. SMU hasn't won big since the 80's. They get enough residual value from the SWC era brand to elevate above most of "group b" but you need recent results and visible success. The Hawaii Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, Compass bowl, and the fact their big wins are on less available channels limits that.

I like SMU and they (like us) are making progress to regain what was lost. It just takes time and UH had a 5 year head start on SMU and made the most of it.
03-19-2013 04:20 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Did you guys miss this? Navy to keep rights to home games through 2017.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...w-big-east
03-19-2013 04:22 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(03-19-2013 04:22 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Did you guys miss this? Navy to keep rights to home games through 2017.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...w-big-east

Good find. If Navy retains their home rights it may be as simple as splitting the tv money 11 ways instead of 12 when Tulsa joins. Navy probably gets a share of bowl, playoff, and other similar types of payouts.

126mm for the ESPN deal divided 11 ways: 1.909mm each
12mm for the CBS deal divided 11 ways: 182mm roughly each
Rough guess at combined figure: 2.09mm each

So not the 1.8 each people thought if the math and assumptions are correct.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 04:35 PM by 1845 Bear.)
03-19-2013 04:32 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(03-19-2013 04:19 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  How did you beat Tallgrass to posting this story? :)

be nice

maybe Tallgrass couldn't get a decent internet connection in his mom's basement today
03-19-2013 04:35 PM
Advertisement

jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
Makes me wonder if the new conference is going to try to put higher exit fees on those schools since their leaving would negatively impact the league more than others. With the same notion, I wonder if those four schools will demand higher tv revenue than the others since they hold the league together?

Either way, the way these schools are treated unequally makes me think this conference truly is doomed from the start.
03-19-2013 04:46 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners

I'm surprised houston was that high up, smu is probably at the bottom
03-19-2013 04:53 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
(03-19-2013 04:53 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  

Why the surprise?
03-19-2013 05:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

When Houston is winning, they tend to be #2 in ratings in Houston. They have a fickle fan base, but there are a lot of them. Until about 15-20 years ago, they were a bigger school than A&M and they draw a pretty large portion of their student body locally.
03-19-2013 05:22 PM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Interesting. Temple and Houston are A schools but USF isn't. Is that really what the TV networks think of them? This gives the new schools some leverage through Houston. The bickering over the exit fee distribution should get interesting if Houston and/or Temple threatens to pull out along with the B schools. I do wonder if this is a pretext to a GoR.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 05:27 PM by gocards#1.)
03-19-2013 05:24 PM
Advertisement

randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(03-19-2013 05:21 PM)AirRaid Wrote:  

Why the surprise?

UH doesn't pull in their market
03-19-2013 06:08 PM
1845 Bear Offline

(03-19-2013 06:08 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(03-19-2013 04:10 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Who knows. I find it kind of interesting that Houston is on Group A list. They probably won't get the call to ACC, and are unlikely to go to B12 without defections. I can see Temple on the list though. Not sure why USF and UCF were put on group B. Maybe we're just reading too much into it.

Why the surprise?

1- You just invited tons of coogs with a hot button.

2- UH does reasonably well but as you indicated isn't some elite local draw. With that said there is support, a recognized brand, and it clearly outpaces most of their conference. UConn and Cincy are the only ones that might be ahead of them in the Aresco league.
03-19-2013 06:17 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
(03-19-2013 06:08 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(03-19-2013 04:10 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Who knows. I find it kind of interesting that Houston is on Group A list. They probably won't get the call to ACC, and are unlikely to go to B12 without defections. I can see Temple on the list though. Not sure why USF and UCF were put on group B. Maybe we're just reading too much into it.

Why the surprise?

Lol...you ain't got a clue. We have enough fans. When we do well, we sell out all home games. UTEP though should not be ragging on anyone. It's ok, you guys can finally win a few games when we leave
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 06:38 PM by AirRaid.)
03-19-2013 06:36 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(03-19-2013 04:19 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  How did you beat Tallgrass to posting this story? :)

This article doesn't speak to Tallgrass because Tulsa is joining the new football conference not leaving it.....

No concerns there. 03-cloud9
03-19-2013 06:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.