Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maximum Server Load Limit Has Been Reached...
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Maximum Server Load Limit Has Been Reached...
FYI: I'm getting a lot of ...

Quote:The maximum server load limit has been reached. Please check back later once the server is less busy.

... this weekend.
03-24-2013 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Maximum Server Load Limit Has Been Reached...
Got a couple of these this morning.
04-01-2013 10:49 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(04-01-2013 10:49 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Got a couple of these this morning.

So have I, there were almost 2000 people on the board, 1300 of them guests.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 12:50 PM by smn1256.)
04-01-2013 12:49 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
That many people interested in Western Kentucky?
04-01-2013 01:00 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
Went down again. 1850 online at 3:45PM eastern
04-01-2013 02:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Went down again 7:15 am mountain time. 1535 users
04-03-2013 08:12 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(04-03-2013 08:12 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  Went down again 7:15 am mountain time. 1535 users

Doubt there is much I can do about it if it continues beyond more raw power. I've got the settings pretty dialed in now. If we get a big influx of people from somewhere in one big woomph it will still trigger the message ... but that's what said message is designed for.
04-03-2013 09:20 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Couple of times today. Last just a minute ago at 10:34.
04-04-2013 09:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Pulled my last rabbit out of the hat ... let's see how it goes.
04-05-2013 02:45 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

WHy not move over to amazon and let it grow vertically with multiple VMs behind a load balancer instead of spending a ton of money on hardware?
04-05-2013 08:38 AM

(04-05-2013 08:38 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  WHy not move over to amazon and let it grow vertically with multiple VMs behind a load balancer instead of spending a ton of money on hardware?

Amazon is more expensive than buying hardware over the life of the hardware. Even dedicated is more expensive than buying hardware over the life of the hardware.

I also have serious reservations with being fully dependent on any cloud infrastructure. No good sys admin trusts magic solutions. Reddit is a case history in how Amazon can epicly crash and burn all the time. They moved off EC2 and are now more stable. Besides ... hardware is a VERY important part of the selection process. Getting the right CPU, the right hard drives in the right configuration, and the right amount and type of RAM is part of the battle. All Clouds are virtualized platforms. Virtualization no matter how well configured is still a 10-20% ding in performance straight off the top. Screw that.

I could spin up a EC2 instance and use it purely as another apache node (which is now trivial since I got varnish up), but the core of this site's infrastructure is always going to be equipment that I choose, configure, and deploy myself.
04-05-2013 05:20 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

If Amazon is "more expensive" than what you've got running this site, then no wonder it's down all the time. That kind of thinking is stuck 5 years in the past.
04-05-2013 05:35 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
While there have been a lot of load limit errors, the site doesn't all out collapse like the Amazon servers have done several times. Amazon servers have taken down big sites like Reddit and Netflix for hours.
04-05-2013 05:39 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I guess. There are other options out there anyway. Linode comes to mind that would probably be more up GTS' alley anyway. You just buy VMs on demand and can put them behind a virtual load balancer. Get a template setup and buy a few for normal use and when it gets busy spin up some more. When it calms down, shut 'em down. You can even script it. Been using them forever and never had any downtime.
04-06-2013 08:21 AM

(04-06-2013 08:21 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  I guess. There are other options out there anyway. Linode comes to mind that would probably be more up GTS' alley anyway. You just buy VMs on demand and can put them behind a virtual load balancer. Get a template setup and buy a few for normal use and when it gets busy spin up some more. When it calms down, shut 'em down. You can even script it. Been using them forever and never had any downtime.

I use a Linode for another project I do because I can have total control and roll out Gentoo like I wish. But it is still way more cost effective to buy and deploy my own hardware than it is to use Linode ... and I say that as somebody who loves Linode for some uses. Using a cloud instance for high load is more manageable and, again, with the changes I made last week far more trivial.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 09:07 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
04-06-2013 09:06 PM

(Also, note that there have been no max load messages since I made the changes this week.)
04-06-2013 09:09 PM
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(04-06-2013 09:09 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  (Also, note that there have been no max load messages since I made the changes this week.)

Don't know what kinda hardware you are running this on and what is the total Mem on the server(or if its a pool how many and how are they load balanced).

1. Start tweaking apache to tune each process according memory available on board.
2. If possible try putting Nginx infront of Apache(as you know non-blocking is always better than blocking event based webservers)
3. Cache the web and database(some memcache and mysql tweaking assuming you are using them)

I can/may be helpful if i know the actual s/w and h/w stack.
04-07-2013 01:29 PM

(04-07-2013 01:29 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 09:09 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  (Also, note that there have been no max load messages since I made the changes this week.)

Don't know what kinda hardware you are running this on and what is the total Mem on the server(or if its a pool how many and how are they load balanced).

1. Start tweaking apache to tune each process according memory available on board.
2. If possible try putting Nginx infront of Apache(as you know non-blocking is always better than blocking event based webservers)
3. Cache the web and database(some memcache and mysql tweaking assuming you are using them)

I can/may be helpful if i know the actual s/w and h/w stack.

Apache and MySQL are VERY finely tuned. Apache is running a FCGI socket that punts to FPM based PHP. This allows for pooled caching within PHP itself and removes virtually all apache overhead. Most of the apache box resources are chugging away at php-fpm. In fact apache is SO LOW in resource use I haven't even considered nginx. MySQL is using HugeTLB support and enormous InnoDB caches. We wouldn't be up now if stuff even occasionally hit disk. There is varnish running in front of Apache so I can now easily spin up cloud based apache nodes if it comes to it. I really don't want to cluster yet if I don't have to. I want to feel like I've really done everything possible to prevent that so that when I do scale I do as efficiently as possible. I've got a few options left ... nginx (doubt it will make much if any difference), delving into the slow areas of MyBB in PHP crunching (potentially VERY productive), and improving MyBB's ability to varnish cache for guests (potentially productive).

The next MyBB release has full 5.4 support, and I'm told the upgrade and switch PHP 5.4 will bring some more speed improvements as well.

Hardware is a 1U twin with each side having dual QC Xeons that are getting to be on the older side now ... Penryn (Core 2 Duo) era Harpertown 5400 series Xeons. Both have more RAM than they use. Both have RAID 1 Raptors.

The bottleneck right now is PHP's cpu demands.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 06:33 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
04-07-2013 06:30 PM

If you are posting about a debug message around 8:15 PM ET ... that was me turning on a debugger to capture some performance data real quick. :)
04-07-2013 07:12 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Just had a server overload message at 8:44 AM.
04-09-2013 07:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.