Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In the interest of fairness: NCAA credits should be tied to the schools
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I think people are making the conference realignment issues too complicated. We need clean breaks between departing schools and conferences so that everyone can start their new relationships without any clutter. So it makes sense that schools like SU, WVU and Pitt should be taking the NCAA credits that they generated with them to their new conferences. Having them stay behind with the old conferences is simply not right.

I also think that the Aresco conf should allow the new New BE access to the name without the messy bartering. The "new BE" is actually the majority of the schools that created the original BE conf. They should get the name free of charge as an act of good will and because it's the right thing to do.
03-25-2013 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Nobody forced those schools to pool their credits in the first place. Can't just change your mind overnight when it suits you.
03-25-2013 07:07 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: In the interest of fairness: NCAA credits should be tied to the schools
Another dumb thread. You pool NCAA credits for multiple reasons. The biggest is if you go through a period of 10 years without a NCAA bid. You don't want the revenue per year in your athletic department to be jumping up and down every year.
03-25-2013 07:33 AM
miko33 Offline

(03-25-2013 07:33 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Another dumb thread. You pool NCAA credits for multiple reasons. The biggest is if you go through a period of 10 years without a NCAA bid. You don't want the revenue per year in your athletic department to be jumping up and down every year.

It's not dumb. Make the clean breaks and let those that earned them keep what they have wrought.
03-25-2013 07:36 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I like Miko's idea just fine, but lets take it a step further the schools that earn the credits get them and they aren't shared with the leagues at all. That way Cuse, Louisville, UNC, Duke, etc don't have to share their credits with schools like Pitt who lose out early every single year. 03-nutkick
03-25-2013 07:39 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The NCAA doesn't force this on schools; they do it voluntarily. I actually think it's a good thing because it's one of the few things that promotes stability in the system.

Besides, Miko, you can't design a contract (as Pitt, Syracuse, and Georgetown did), force new members to sign it, and then whine when you are the one that gets bit by the provisions.
03-25-2013 07:43 AM
Advertisement

gocards#1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
I agree. The schools earned those credits, let them keep them. It's stupid to distribute credits to teams that don't do crap year in and year out. Why do Cincinnati and South Florida deserve Louisville's Final Four credits? Because they happened to be in the same conference as us? Those two haven't done anything in the Big East and yet they essentially steal money earned by the more successful schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 08:22 AM by gocards#1.)
03-25-2013 07:46 AM
miko33 Offline

(03-25-2013 07:43 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't force this on schools; they do it voluntarily. I actually think it's a good thing because it's one of the few things that promotes stability in the system.

Besides, Miko, you can't design a contract (as Pitt, Syracuse, and Georgetown did), force new members to sign it, and then whine when you are the one that gets bit by the provisions.

If you're referring to leaving the conference, then that was done simply because there was no other choice. The big east betrayed our schools. We had no choice but to leave in order to better align with schools that have the same traits as ours.
03-25-2013 08:20 AM
jnewyouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
Pooled credits, like the Big XII's guarantee of rights, was agreed upon by all involved as an insurance policy. If you voluntarily leave your insurance company, you don't get to take your premium with you or continue to make claims.
03-25-2013 08:33 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(03-25-2013 07:36 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 07:33 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Another dumb thread. You pool NCAA credits for multiple reasons. The biggest is if you go through a period of 10 years without a NCAA bid. You don't want the revenue per year in your athletic department to be jumping up and down every year.
It's not dumb. Make the clean breaks and let those that earned them keep what they have wrought.
Where was this outrage on NCAA credits when WVU left?
03-25-2013 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(03-25-2013 08:20 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 07:43 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't force this on schools; they do it voluntarily. I actually think it's a good thing because it's one of the few things that promotes stability in the system.

If you're referring to leaving the conference, then that was done simply because there was no other choice. The big east betrayed our schools. We had no choice but to leave in order to better align with schools that have the same traits as ours.

I'm not knocking the decision to leave (at least, not in this thread). But when you decide to leave, you can't cry about having to abide by a contract that YOU wrote and forced others to sign.
03-25-2013 10:01 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
How about you give up your BCS revenue share in the ACC since it should all go to the 1 team that makes the game? Pitt would get zero every season. How about that fairness?
03-25-2013 10:22 AM
miko33 Offline

(03-25-2013 10:22 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  How about you give up your BCS revenue share in the ACC since it should all go to the 1 team that makes the game? Pitt would get zero every season. How about that fairness?

You miss my point. Of course the conferences need to come together as a team and share the money. But when a school leaves one conference and goes to another, the credits should follow them to the new conference. Schools like UH, SMU, Memphis and Tulane did nothing to help the Aresco conf. They should not get the right to have the credits that Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, etc. made. Those credits should go to their new conferences.
03-25-2013 10:26 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(03-25-2013 10:26 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 10:22 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  How about you give up your BCS revenue share in the ACC since it should all go to the 1 team that makes the game? Pitt would get zero every season. How about that fairness?

You miss my point. Of course the conferences need to come together as a team and share the money. But when a school leaves one conference and goes to another, the credits should follow them to the new conference. Schools like UH, SMU, Memphis and Tulane did nothing to help the Aresco conf. They should not get the right to have the credits that Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, etc. made. Those credits should go to their new conferences.

Why should schools, like Memphis, who have a lot of credits tied to their name, have to share with their new conference?
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 10:37 AM by Lord2FLI.)
03-25-2013 10:37 AM
miko33 Offline

(03-25-2013 10:37 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

Why should schools, like Memphis, who have a lot of credits tied to their name, have to share with their new conference?

Because you need the help on the football side of the equation. Look, I'm not saying that schools shouldn't share with their conference mates. I think it's fair though to allow the credits to transfer with the departing school to the new conference.
03-25-2013 10:46 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

(03-25-2013 10:46 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 10:37 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

Because you need the help on the football side of the equation. Look, I'm not saying that schools shouldn't share with their conference mates. I think it's fair though to allow the credits to transfer with the departing school to the new conference.

If the credits can move around then they belong to the school and at no point should they have to share. Sharing is fair to everyone else, but not the person doing the sharing.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 10:48 AM by Lord2FLI.)
03-25-2013 10:47 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I heard none of this from you when WVU left The BEast. If it's wrong now, it was wrong then, and you kept your mouth shut on this issue. So forget about it...
03-25-2013 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
miko33 Offline

(03-25-2013 01:16 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
I heard none of this from you when WVU left The BEast. If it's wrong now, it was wrong then, and you kept your mouth shut on this issue. So forget about it...

I was saying the same things then, but I was away from the board during that time.
03-25-2013 05:09 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(03-25-2013 05:09 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
I was saying the same things then, but I was away from the board during that time.
I guess I missed it then. It's kind of hard for me to hear words not said in print these days...
03-25-2013 05:51 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

(03-25-2013 05:51 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(03-25-2013 05:09 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
I guess I missed it then. It's kind of hard for me to hear words not said in print these days...

I'm sure he discussed it during one of his high level Tokyo meetings.
03-25-2013 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.