Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why not Southern Miss?
Tiger5 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Why not Southern Miss?
IMO, just looking at the 3 major men's sports football, basketball, and baseball. Southern Miss has a better sports program over SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU.

And they have better fan support than all these schools except for ECU.

Is it simply due to tv market? Because New Orleans, Tulsa, Dallas, & Greenville > Hattiesbug
03-26-2013 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
RE: Why not Southern Miss?
Maybe we just said no thanks.
03-26-2013 06:24 PM
fedale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MARSHALL
Still scratching my head at Tulane and SMU...
03-26-2013 06:43 PM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-26-2013 06:23 PM)Tiger5 Wrote:  IMO, just looking at the 3 major men's sports football, basketball, and baseball. Southern Miss has a better sports program over SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and ECU.

And they have better fan support than all these schools except for ECU.

Is it simply due to tv market? Because New Orleans, Tulsa, Dallas, & Greenville > Hattiesbug

Initially, yes, it was due to market. There is a perception issue here that doesn't get touched on here that I think is playing a big role. CUSA is a Southern-oriented conference, but the old Big East is not. They don't want to become any more "Southern", and they are afraid of what might come with "Mississippi".

It also doesn't help our perception that we have publicly acknowledged being broke. Plus, I am fairly certain that Southern Miss would never take a football-only invite, and I am sure CTBA knows it. Doing so would likely mean the Southland Conference for our other sports, and that is too big of a price to pay after the work put into basketball and baseball.

Our chances of securing an invite likely increase once our old conference mates join CTBA in a few months.
03-26-2013 06:45 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
(03-26-2013 06:24 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  Maybe we just said no thanks.

Doubt it.
03-26-2013 06:46 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
Because we are going to do our best to win regardless and don't care because it doesn't matter and we are all in the same punctured boat? Seems like a good reason to start thread #11928374923874982374239847293

Why do these thread continually pop up? I would rather load a sock with marbles and beat myself to death. They are pointless with no end in sight, foresight, or foreskin...okay, the last one was silly....like these threads....jfc
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 06:49 PM by stinkfist.)
03-26-2013 06:48 PM
Advertisement

justin_sane15 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Texas St
USM should've easily made it over Tulane.
03-26-2013 06:50 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(03-26-2013 06:46 PM)AirRaid Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 06:24 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  Maybe we just said no thanks.

Doubt it.

Gonna side with AirRaid on this one... i don't think we said no thanks, RG was told by Marionette what we needed to do to get an invite ("improve your bb squad"...) but by the time we did, the (basketball) AD's of the BE told Marionette "we don't want anything to do with Southern Mississippi"..

So Marionette realized he had no say so in what he thought was best for the BE.. and knowing we put so much effort into the basketball squad, he KNEW we wouldn't take a football only invite, so he came up with a compromise as best he could (the first four departees), and now it's for Aresco to try to salvage that set of decisions.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 06:54 PM by DaSaintFan.)
03-26-2013 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
the next open slot better be southern miss. i would have prefered southern miss because our long history (no offense to tulsa). its a damn shame.
03-26-2013 07:24 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Hell just wait 1-2 years and another 2 teams will get the invite.
03-26-2013 07:34 PM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
I think USM and Marshall are definitely on deck if more defections occur in the nBE. Its a cryin shame this has occurred, but is done for purposes of self survival. Everyone knew it would end up being like this in the end didn't they? Everyone talked about realignment for months, even years.
03-26-2013 07:37 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-26-2013 07:34 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Hell just wait 1-2 years and everyone that sucks now will still be sucking then and the media still won't give a shite and everyone will still be looking for that holy grail

FIFY
03-26-2013 07:38 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

We should seek out that football-only invite. Southland hoops > CUSA football. Basketball won't wither away in the Southland like football will in CUSA.

I don't enjoy being negative, but I'm not understanding how we're going to recruit against Tulane now. What's the argument for coming to USM now?
03-26-2013 07:51 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(03-26-2013 07:24 PM)shere khan Wrote:  the next open slot better be southern miss. i would have prefered southern miss because our long history (no offense to tulsa). its a damn shame.

USM will be just fine. For sure as good as all the teams in the conference to be named later and just maybe better when all the dust settles.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 07:53 PM by usmbacker.)
03-26-2013 07:53 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(03-26-2013 07:51 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  We should seek out that football-only invite. Southland hoops > CUSA football. Basketball won't wither away in the Southland like football will in CUSA.

I don't enjoy being negative, but I'm not understanding how we're going to recruit against Tulane now. What's the argument for coming to USM now?

Tulane has plenty of openings for new fans. You need to fill one of those openings.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 07:54 PM by usmbacker.)
03-26-2013 07:54 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(03-26-2013 07:54 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(03-26-2013 07:51 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  We should seek out that football-only invite. Southland hoops > CUSA football. Basketball won't wither away in the Southland like football will in CUSA.

Tulane has plenty of openings for new fans. You need to fill one of those openings.

I want USM to compete with Tulane. We're sending Coach Monken out recruiting without the bullets to do that. Pretending to be a Tulane fan doesn't help anything.
03-26-2013 07:57 PM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(03-26-2013 07:37 PM)rabidTU Wrote:  I think USM and Marshall are definitely on deck if more defections occur in the nBE. Its a cryin shame this has occurred, but is done for purposes of self survival. Everyone knew it would end up being like this in the end didn't they? Everyone talked about realignment for months, even years.

I think it's gone even crazier than most could have imagined.
03-26-2013 08:00 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Why not Southern Miss?
(03-26-2013 07:37 PM)rabidTU Wrote:  I think USM and Marshall are definitely on deck if more defections occur in the nBE. Its a cryin shame this has occurred, but is done for purposes of self survival. Everyone knew it would end up being like this in the end didn't they? Everyone talked about realignment for months, even years.

USM yes Marshall no. Don't ask me why as I haven't gotten an answer
03-26-2013 08:04 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Southern Miss just needs to get our football program back and win big again. Basketball is doing fine. Just win baby. Doesn't matter which conference. There are the Big 5 and everybody else. That fact is indisputable.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 08:14 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
03-26-2013 08:08 PM
cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

(03-26-2013 08:08 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  Southern Miss just needs to get our football program back and win big again. Basketball is doing fine. Just win baby. Doesn't matter which conference. There are the Big 4, then the ACC and then everybody else. That fact is indisputable.

FIFY
03-26-2013 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.