Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UIC, Loyola, UMKC, Valpo finalists for MVC Creighton slot
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
UIC, Loyola, UMKC, Valpo finalists for MVC Creighton slot
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/31/415...rence.html

Quote:UMKC, which announced last month it was leaving the Summit League for the Western Athletic Conference, is on a list of schools Missouri Valley Conference officials plan to visit this week for membership consideration, The Star has learned.

The others: Valparaiso, Loyola (Chicago) and University of Illinois-Chicago, all members of the Horizon League

Quote:UMKC has made some major changes recently, hiring Louisville assistant Kareem Richardson as head coach to replace Matt Brown and going forward with plans to move its home games from on-campus Swinney Rec to Municipal Auditorium in downtown.
04-01-2013 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: UIC, Loyola, UMKC, Valpo finalists for MVC Creighton slot
Wonder what happened to Belmont and who lost interest
04-01-2013 02:02 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Like I've said before, the major issue for the MVC has been that they don't have direct access to major TV and recruiting markets. The list doesn't surprise me (even if they are lacking in on-the-court accomplishments).
04-01-2013 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
are they limiting themselves to 1 or are they open to taking 3 and going to 12?
04-01-2013 02:31 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
UMKC? Seriously? Probably not - - today is April 1st.
04-01-2013 02:36 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
Out of this list I'd go with Valpo.
04-01-2013 02:39 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-01-2013 02:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  UMKC? Seriously? Probably not - - today is April 1st.

The report was from yesterday.

UMKC hired a Louisville assistant earlier, so they are attempting to get their program on track. UMKC admin viewed the Summit League as a "problem", because local fans viewed it as a DII conference.
04-01-2013 02:44 PM
FargoBison Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU and MN
(04-01-2013 02:02 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Wonder what happened to Belmont and who lost interest

Based on this list I'd say it was Belmont who lost interest.
04-01-2013 02:48 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-01-2013 02:31 PM)solohawks Wrote:  are they limiting themselves to 1 or are they open to taking 3 and going to 12?

Surprised that public schools were listed to replace Creighton. Perhaps Wichita St is in play.
04-01-2013 02:49 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(04-01-2013 02:44 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 02:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  UMKC? Seriously? Probably not - - today is April 1st.

The report was from yesterday.

UMKC hired a Louisville assistant earlier, so they are attempting to get their program on track. UMKC admin viewed the Summit League as a "problem", because local fans viewed it as a DII conference.

Exactly, which is why they moved to the WAC last month. At least it was different from where they were.
04-01-2013 02:49 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Could be bad news for the WAC, which got a big shot in the arm by luring UMKC away from the Summit. Valpo wouldn't bring the MVC a big market, and Loyola and UI-C are overshadowed by NBA and D-1 competitors in Chicago. But UMKC is the biggest school in a sizable Kansas City market and has no direct NBA or D-1 competition (although obviously there are plenty of Missouri, Kansas and K-State fans there). It will be interesting to see what happens.
04-01-2013 02:50 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
That UKMC move to the WAC always looked like a strange one, and I saw several people speculate at the time that it was a placeholder move while hoping for something better. The MVC would be a great opportunity from UKMC's perspective, if they really are dedicated to building up their BBall program.
04-01-2013 03:02 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I could buy UMKC joining the WAC as an April Fools. I'd probably go with Illinois-chicago but going to 12 isn't a bad move either.
04-01-2013 03:12 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Let's say the MVC does take 3 more from the Horizon League.

The Horizon would be down to 6 schools and the Summit down to 9. Who wins in the tug of war between the two conferences at that point?
04-01-2013 03:18 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-01-2013 03:18 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Let's say the MVC does take 3 more from the Horizon League.

The Horizon would be down to 6 schools and the Summit down to 9. Who wins in the tug of war between the two conferences at that point?
There's no question that the Horizon would win.

First off, the Horizon has all those Butler NCAA credits, while the Summit get the minimum NCAA payment and has limited TV contracts. Oakland and IPFW are already on record as wanting to jump. IUPUI would instantly. The Horizon has other options like Belmont, SIUE, Robert Morris, Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky and maybe even Bellarmine that keep the Horizon a low cost bus league.

That said, the MVC's Elgin has already said that the MVC will only add to 10 teams.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 03:30 PM by NoDak.)
04-01-2013 03:27 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(04-01-2013 03:27 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 03:18 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Let's say the MVC does take 3 more from the Horizon League.

First off, the Horizon has all those Butler NCAA credits, while the Summit get the minimum NCAA payment and has limited TV contracts. Oakland and IPFW are already on record as wanting to jump. IUPUI would instantly. The Horizon has other options like Belmont, SIUE, Robert Morris, Lipscomb, Northern Kentucky and maybe even Bellarmine that keep the Horizon a low cost bus league.

That said, the MVC's Elgin has already said that the MVC will only add to 10 teams.

If the MVC does that and say takes Loyola at that point the Horizon will probably feel compelled to expand.

The Summit may be in a difficult position.
04-01-2013 03:53 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-01-2013 03:53 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 03:27 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

If the MVC does that and say takes Loyola at that point the Horizon will probably feel compelled to expand.

The Summit may be in a difficult position.

The Horizon will go to at least 10 (replacing Butler too), but 12 isn't out of the question but unlikely.

The Summit and Atlantic Sun are the two conferences that should be most worried. If the WAC loses UMKC, add them to the list.
04-01-2013 04:07 PM
giesing Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: a 16 playoff
Actually with the departure of the MVC signature program Creighton, it will be interesting to see in which direction the MVC will go. I read somewhere that Illinois State has a standing offer from the MAC. Also Northern Iowa might not be totally committed to the MVC if the circumstances are right. And there is Missouri State. Who knows what will be I five years. Maybe they want to go to FBS. Wichita State might leave if there is an offer from the NBE, Metro or MWC. As always the presidents of the MVC schools cannot look into the future but they will for sure looking at every possible scenario and will choose that [/quote]school which will them suits most in the long term.
04-01-2013 04:12 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-01-2013 04:12 PM)giesing Wrote:  I read somewhere that Illinois State has a standing offer from the MAC. Also Northern Iowa might not be totally committed to the MVC if the circumstances are right. ...
A recent rumor is that the push to ban FCS games for Big Ten teams did not come to fruition, but Northern Iowa might be nervous about keeping one of its two regular in-state payday games if it doesn't consider transitioning to FBS.
04-01-2013 04:17 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(04-01-2013 04:12 PM)giesing Wrote:  Actually with the departure of the MVC signature program Creighton, it will be interesting to see in which direction the MVC will go. I read somewhere that Illinois State has a standing offer from the MAC. Also Northern Iowa might not be totally committed to the MVC if the circumstances are right. And there is Missouri State. Who knows what will be I five years. Maybe they want to go to FBS. Wichita State might leave if there is an offer from the NBE, Metro or MWC. As always the presidents of the MVC schools cannot look into the future but they will for sure looking at every possible scenario and will choose that school which will them suits most in the long term.

Wichita State is a public school without football. That should eliminate them from the MWC. Unless the Metro wants to balance out Navy, they won't take Wichita State. NBE is all private schools.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 04:19 PM by jdgaucho.)
04-01-2013 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.