Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Economist about Disney and ESPN
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
The Economist about Disney and ESPN
Very interesting article. ESPN alone might be responsible for 40% of Disney's operating income. It's not ABC, the amusement parks, merchandise, movies, etc.....ESPN is the golden goose for Disney.

http://www.economist.com/news/business/2...eal-disney

It's a long article but this is what I found most interesting:

Disney is best known for cartoons that enchant children, from “Snow White” to “The Lion King”. But its most valuable asset is ESPN, a cable sports network beloved by beer-guzzling grown-ups. Disney owns 80%; Hearst, a privately-held media firm, controls the rest. Disney does not disclose the numbers, and estimates vary, but ESPN is probably responsible for 40% of Disney’s operating income, 60% of its free cashflow and as much as half of its share price.

ESPN has cycled through nearly as many owners as Cruella de Vil had Dalmatians. It started life with the backing of Getty Oil, which listed ESPN in its “other” category of investments, along with almond groves. Later it was majority-bought by ABC/Capital Cities, which Disney acquired in 1995 for $19.5 billion. Disney really wanted the broadcast network ABC, not ESPN.

ESPN pioneered “affiliate fees”, which cable operators pay for the right to carry each network. In 2013 ESPN will probably earn $6.6 billion from them, more than three times what it makes from ads, according to SNL Kagan, a research firm. Because it has so many exclusive sports rights, ESPN has been able to haggle its fee up to $5 per subscriber, per month: far higher than any other network’s. These fees are more predictable than ad sales, which is why investors are such fans of cable networks.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 02:39 PM by UTEPDallas.)
04-03-2013 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
RE: The Economist about Disney and ESPN
Here's another The Economist article about FOX Sports:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheor...-ambitions

Sport is the most endorphin-filled sector for media companies today, because it is so lucrative. TV networks have two ways of making money: advertising and the fees that cable operators pay to carry their channels. Sports channels get heavyweight fees: ESPN makes around $5.54 for each cable subscription, according to SNL Kagan, a research firm, and will probably earn more than $7.31 billion in fees in 2014. Moreover, sport is one of the only things people still watch live on TV, so advertising rates are also high. Last year Nielsen, a research firm, reckoned that people spent 20% of their TV viewing hours watching live sports programming. That share will probably continue to rise.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 02:42 PM by UTEPDallas.)
04-03-2013 02:41 PM
TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
Yet the high cost of cable (mostly from sports networks) are driving more people to cut the cord. IMHO there is a bubble in the sports television market.
04-03-2013 02:46 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
If I remember right, in the ESPN book Disney knew the prime jewel was ESPN. They knew with the fees and the 18-35 market that they would do really well with the cable channel. I think the author got it wrong.
04-03-2013 03:07 PM
Sparkster Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCLA
How about all those tax credits from the State of Connecticut02-13-banana
04-03-2013 03:20 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-03-2013 03:07 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  If I remember right, in the ESPN book Disney knew the prime jewel was ESPN. They knew with the fees and the 18-35 market that they would do really well with the cable channel. I think the author got it wrong.

Yeah, Disney didn't anticipate how important ESPN would eventually become relative to everything else they owned and ABC had a higher valuation back then because its advertising profits were extremely high, but Michael Eisner (Disney's CEO at the time) certainly still knew that ESPN was extremely valuable even in 1995.
04-03-2013 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Props to FrankTheTank who has mentioned this on several occasions on various boards and his own blog in the past.

Cheers,
Neil
04-03-2013 03:49 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-03-2013 02:41 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Moreover, sport is one of the only things people still watch live on TV, so advertising rates are also high. Last year Nielsen, a research firm, reckoned that people spent 20% of their TV viewing hours watching live sports programming. That share will probably continue to rise.

Not only is it one of the few things people still watch live, it hits the single hardest demographic for adverstisers to reach - Males 18-49.

(04-03-2013 02:46 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  Yet the high cost of cable (mostly from sports networks) are driving more people to cut the cord. IMHO there is a bubble in the sports television market.

And sports is one of the key ways that Cable is preventing this - by ensuring that a critical mass of the most desirable events require cable subscriptions to view. The risk, of course, is that non-sports fans will flee.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 03:58 PM by orangefan.)
04-03-2013 03:53 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Disney has been knocking it out of the park lately. In the last decade they acquired Pixar,Marvel and Lucas Films. They recently struck a deal with netflix that would pay Disney around 300 million per year. Look for Disny to eventually acquire them in the future. Also, the Oz movie(s) was a huge success and the upcoming Lone Ranger movie looks to be solid also.
04-03-2013 05:50 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-03-2013 05:50 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Also, the Oz movie(s) was a huge success and the upcoming Lone Ranger movie looks to be solid also.

No Tonto, I said "Posse!" 03-lmfao
04-03-2013 06:12 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(04-03-2013 03:53 PM)orangefan Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 02:41 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Moreover, sport is one of the only things people still watch live on TV, so advertising rates are also high. Last year Nielsen, a research firm, reckoned that people spent 20% of their TV viewing hours watching live sports programming. That share will probably continue to rise.

Not only is it one of the few things people still watch live, it hits the single hardest demographic for adverstisers to reach - Males 18-49.

(04-03-2013 02:46 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  Yet the high cost of cable (mostly from sports networks) are driving more people to cut the cord. IMHO there is a bubble in the sports television market.

And sports is one of the key ways that Cable is preventing this - by ensuring that a critical mass of the most desirable events require cable subscriptions to view. The risk, of course, is that non-sports fans will flee.

I doubt the channels care if "the cord is cut." They will simply "air" the shows on their website, but charge a fee (ESPN already does this with ESPN 3 and many schools already do this with their webpages in the athletics section) and sell advertising space (see HULU, ESPN 3, Pandora, Youtube, and so on). Or, they will bundle their content with other channels and sell it to a 3rd party to "air" on their website (i.e. Netflix or Hulu Plus). The cable companies might get screwed, but the networks won't.

Also, I know that you didn't say that it would, but a la carte programming won't significantly hurt the networks either. It will mean less viewers, but it will also mean that the viewers that they do get are more passionate and more willing to pay high carriage fees which will offset almost all of the lost viewers.

However, I would imagine that you are right an dthat cable companies are going nuts trying to get exclusivity agreements that keep the content off of the internet.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 11:33 PM by nzmorange.)
04-03-2013 11:32 PM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(04-03-2013 11:32 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I doubt the channels care if "the cord is cut." They will simply "air" the shows on their website, but charge a fee (ESPN already does this with ESPN 3 and many schools already do this with their webpages in the athletics section) and sell advertising space (see HULU, ESPN 3, Pandora, Youtube, and so on). Or, they will bundle their content with other channels and sell it to a 3rd party to "air" on their website (i.e. Netflix or Hulu Plus). The cable companies might get screwed, but the networks won't.

Networks will get screwed too... many streaming companies run in the red or at very low profit margins... networks are investment darlings thanks to the guaranteed fees paid to them by cable companies... without those fees, which can make up to 75% of a cable network's income, things are HARDLY as rosy - even for mighty ESPN.
04-04-2013 10:02 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2013 10:02 AM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 11:32 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I doubt the channels care if "the cord is cut." They will simply "air" the shows on their website, but charge a fee (ESPN already does this with ESPN 3 and many schools already do this with their webpages in the athletics section) and sell advertising space (see HULU, ESPN 3, Pandora, Youtube, and so on). Or, they will bundle their content with other channels and sell it to a 3rd party to "air" on their website (i.e. Netflix or Hulu Plus). The cable companies might get screwed, but the networks won't.

Networks will get screwed too... many streaming companies run in the red or at very low profit margins... networks are investment darlings thanks to the guaranteed fees paid to them by cable companies... without those fees, which can make up to 75% of a cable network's income, things are HARDLY as rosy - even for mighty ESPN.

Sports fans will want their sports. If there is a significant paradigm shift away from the current model of charging all subscribers for premium sports content, the cost burden will be shifted to sports fans. Imagine basic cable costing $40/month, but with only "ESPN Light" and twenty channels you never watch. You'll have to buy a sports tier costing $100/month or more with "ESPN Deluxe," all Regional Sports Networks, the NFL Network, Conference Networks, etc., to get the games and teams you want, including NFL Monday and Thursday games, your local NBA, NHL and MLB teams, most of your college's games, the BCS, most of the NCAA tourney, the NASCAR Chase for the Cup, etc.
04-04-2013 10:48 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh yeah, the networks will fight against a la carte with everything that they have. Believe me, they care. That's why so many of these channels don't budge an inch when it comes to basic carriage vs. sports tier carriage. The carriage fee might be negotiable, but basic carriage in and of itself isn't. These channels would rather stay off the air than give in on that issue (see the Longhorn Network, the Viacom dispute with Comcast, the Fox dispute with DirecTV, the Pac-12 Network disputes with everyone, etc.). The difference between being on basic cable compared to the sports tier is massive.
04-04-2013 10:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

That may be true, but it's because they are competing with cable and cable is given premium content. Take cable out of the equation, and everything changes.

Anyway, some online streaming co.'s are insanely profitable.
04-04-2013 11:11 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2013 10:53 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Oh yeah, the networks will fight against a la carte with everything that they have. Believe me, they care. That's why so many of these channels don't budge an inch when it comes to basic carriage vs. sports tier carriage. The carriage fee might be negotiable, but basic carriage in and of itself isn't. These channels would rather stay off the air than give in on that issue (see the Longhorn Network, the Viacom dispute with Comcast, the Fox dispute with DirecTV, the Pac-12 Network disputes with everyone, etc.). The difference between being on basic cable compared to the sports tier is massive.

No. You're wrong. The two are very related. If ESPN had a carriage fee of $0.01 instead of $5.50 (or whatever it is right now), then it would be on basic. Programming that has a passionate following belongs on higher tiers, because the main revenue driver is enthusiasm, and carriage rates monetize that. Programming that has a general following, but little enthusiasm from any significant group belongs on low tiers, because it gets better ratings which are monetized by selling advertising to as many people as possible, and more people have basic than premium. LHN, BTN, and the Pac-12 Network are trying to have their cake and eat it to. When negotiating, it is rational to aim high and then bend downward. Those networks negotiated high carriage rates, which is appropriate because their viewers are passionate, so the programming belongs on high tiers, and now they are trying to negotiate their tier down as low as possibly to maximize the number of viewers who see their content. Cable companies aren't stupid, so they aren't willing to go all the way, and the school/conference networks are bending down, and the two parties are meeting in the middle.
04-04-2013 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2013 11:19 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

No. You're wrong. The two are very related. If ESPN had a carriage fee of $0.01 instead of $5.50 (or whatever it is right now), then it would be on basic. Programming that has a passionate following belongs on higher tiers, because the main revenue driver is enthusiasm, and carriage rates monetize that. Programming that has a general following, but little enthusiasm from any significant group belongs on low tiers, because it gets better ratings which are monetized by selling advertising to as many people as possible, and more people have basic than premium. LHN, BTN, and the Pac-12 Network are trying to have their cake and eat it to. When negotiating, it is rational to aim high and then bend downward. Those networks negotiated high carriage rates, which is appropriate because their viewers are passionate, so the programming belongs on high tiers, and now they are trying to negotiate their tier down as low as possibly to maximize the number of viewers who see their content. Cable companies aren't stupid, so they aren't willing to go all the way, and the school/conference networks are bending down, and the two parties are meeting in the middle.

That's the point: it IS on basic right now even at that high carriage price. They know that DirecTV can't go to market without ESPN if Comcast has it and vice versa. I can get shows like Mad Men and Breaking Badby other methods, but sports are exclusive, which makes them increasingly more valuable to cable companies. I think ESPN is one of the few channels that would survive in an a la carte world (it's really an NBC Sports Network-type channel that would get crushed), but that doesn't mean that it wants anything to do with that world.
04-04-2013 12:01 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-04-2013 11:19 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  LHN, BTN, and the Pac-12 Network are trying to have their cake and eat it to. ... Those networks negotiated high carriage rates, which is appropriate because their viewers are passionate, so the programming belongs on high tiers, and now they are trying to negotiate their tier down as low as possibly to maximize the number of viewers who see their content. ...
Except the BTN won that fight in this part of their footprint, and I believe in most of their core footprint except Philadelphia, with both high carriage rates and carriage on everything except the lowest budget tier.

And you can't leapfrog from the lowest budget tier to premium channels, so if someone wants Game of Thrones on HBO, they have to pay their $1 monthly tithe to Big Ten football, in addition to their $5+ monthly tithe to sports in general.

And cable cutting still threatens to undermine that part of the revenue stream. The offset that the streaming ad CPM rates are likely to raise over the latter half of the decade. That means that online streaming on a subscription+ad basis can help keep subscription rates down to a level where more than just the most avid fans will pay ... but still, its likely a net loss of revenues.

However, it will almost certainly take the balance of the current decade before the total numbers of cable cutters are large enough to actually start eating into the current system in a significant way. Until then, sports programming getting a larger share of a slowly shrinking total cable TV revenue stream seems likely to continue. Its looking ahead to the 2020's where it could well have a big impact, but then looking that far ahead we could be at war in a serious way, or in the middle of a sustained economic boom, or the middle of a sustained economic depression ... so its hard to see what the point would be of dwelling the cable cutting factor in particular. The conference realignment moves in the next few years will be made pretty much under the current rules of the media revenue game.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 12:08 PM by BruceMcF.)
04-04-2013 12:04 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2013 12:01 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 11:19 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

That's the point: it IS on basic right now even at that high carriage price. They know that DirecTV can't go to market without ESPN if Comcast has it and vice versa. I can get shows like Mad Men and Breaking Badby other methods, but sports are exclusive, which makes them increasingly more valuable to cable companies. I think ESPN is one of the few channels that would survive in an a la carte world (it's really an NBC Sports Network-type channel that would get crushed), but that doesn't mean that it wants anything to do with that world.

1. Tell that to my cable provider. They didn't get the memo.

2. NBC Sports would just have very high carriage charges and the people that desperately care about F1 and/or ND would pay for it. They wouldn't get crushed. For them to get crushed, they would have to be over-paid now, and that isn't the case. Unless there is a synergistic relationship between channels, where having one channel makes another channel more desirable, then The channels are being paid FMV. The FMV of the channels is equal the highest value combination of carriage charges and advertising revenue. X number of people will pay $Y to have access to the channel. On average, X-Z people will watch the channel. On average, each of the (X-Z) people will be N% more likely to buy B goods. The value of that to B is equal to the volume of B's sales times N% times the difference of the product's price and variable costs times X-Y less the cost to make the advertisement. The total value of the channel is equal to (X*$Y)+([value to B]*number of advertising slots). In an efficient market, each channel will get FMV. The market isn't 100% efficient, but that's not because there is a tier system. It's because there is a finite amount of competition. The fundamental market forces don't change because the channel is sold in a tier system as opposed to a la carte. It looks different because channels are budled together, but that doesn't change the fact that customers will only pay subscription fees equal to, or less than, the utility that they get in return, and cable companies will only pay networks less than or equal to what customers will pay for the channel less business costs (i.e. administrative, cost of capital, equipment expenses, and so on). In a tier system, individual people are over-paying for certain channels, but that is balanced out by the fact that they are underpaying for other channels. Oxygen might be worth $0/month to me, but ESPN might be worth $10/month to me. However, Oxygen might be worth $10/month to my gf and ESPN might be worth $0/month to her. In the end, we both end up paying $10/month for the tier. If it was a la carte, I would pay $10/month for ESPN and I wouldn't have Oxygen. My gf would pay $10/month for Oxygen and $0/month for ESPN. At the end of the day, in both models, $20/month changes hands and $10/month is allocated to ESPN and $10/month is allocated to Oxygen. Obviously it gets more complicated when you add more viewers and more channels, but the basic idea is the same. Tiers just incentivize people to have more channels, which increases the liklihood that they will become attached to programming in a channel that they otherwise would not watch, which is value added by the cable companies. In an efficient market, some of that value translates into lower carriage charges for the networks. The reason why there is so much push back from cable companies when someone tries to add niche programming on low tiers is that the 1. the carriage fee associated with niche programming increases the cost of the tier, which either directly cuts into cable-provider profits, or gets passed on to the customer, reducing the number of customers who have access to that tier, which cuts into cable-provider profits. Furthermore, when a channel is added to a tier, and the channel doesn't carry its weight, then it sucks up the viewers who don't really care what they watch. This hurts ratings for everything else on the tier, reducing advertising costs. Those channels either want higher carriage fees to make up for the loss, or for the cable provider to lower rates, and thus attract more customers.

The above is a little oversimplified, but it gets complicated quick.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 05:47 PM by nzmorange.)
04-04-2013 12:04 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-04-2013 12:04 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  1. Tell that to my cable provider. They didn't get the memo.
Tell what to your cable provider, that the BTN is on Basic Cable in the BTN home market footprint?

Who's your cable provider and where do you live in the BTN home market footprint?
04-04-2013 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.