Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

interesting tweet from Doug Gottleib
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
interesting tweet from Doug Gottleib
Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow Man did the Big 12 mess up not taking Louisville #hindsight2020

Just thinking about it, I'd have to agree with this 100%. Not only much closer to the footprint, but also stronger football and basketball teams. ACC really caught a break there big time. If Big 12 eventually fails, that could be the decision that really cooks them.
04-09-2013 09:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
RE: interesting tweet from Doug Gottleib
(04-09-2013 09:26 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow Man did the Big 12 mess up not taking Louisville #hindsight2020

Just thinking about it, I'd have to agree with this 100%. Not only much closer to the footprint, but also stronger football and basketball teams. ACC really caught a break there big time. If Big 12 eventually fails, that could be the decision that really cooks them.

If the Big 12 ever fails, it will have nothing to do with Louisville or West Virginia or pretty much any school not named Texas and Oklahoma.

/thread.
04-09-2013 09:28 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
I agree, the Big XII should have picked up Louisville and probably Cincinnati too to get to twelve.
04-09-2013 09:33 AM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
(04-09-2013 09:28 AM)EerMeNow Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 09:26 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow Man did the Big 12 mess up not taking Louisville #hindsight2020

If the Big 12 ever fails, it will have nothing to do with Louisville or West Virginia or pretty much any school not named Texas and Oklahoma.

/thread.

Just Texas.
04-09-2013 09:33 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
WVU has had more success historically in football. They have more of a national following and a flagship state school. If the B12 could only take one, they made a good choice.

Now you can argue they should have snagged UofL along with WVU, then yes I think they should have done it along with a another school roughly in the same area.
04-09-2013 09:47 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Trust Us, Louisville fans will Love being in the ACC as a great regional fit as well as reuniting with many past conference mates. Nothing against the Big 12.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 10:11 AM by CardFan1.)
04-09-2013 09:47 AM
Advertisement

WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-09-2013 09:28 AM)EerMeNow Wrote:  

/thread.

Pretty much agree. The conference exists because those two schools (and specifically UT) wish it to for right now. Either they want it to continue or they don't. L'ville or WVU will have no effect either way.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 09:50 AM by WNCOrange.)
04-09-2013 09:50 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Multiple people who are in the business told me repeatedly Louisville had the votes to get in the Big XII. They just never agreed on #12 thus they never acted.
04-09-2013 09:55 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I agree with Eer on this one.

Look, I too think the Big 12 goofed ENORMOUSLY when it failed to add Louisville and Cincinnati to go along with West Virginia. Geography may not be quite as important as it once was but it is still important to have at least some regional rivalries and the Cardinals and Bearcats would have given the Mountaineers just that. Those programs also would have further strengthened the B12 in both football and men's basketball. However, Texas is CLEARLY the lynch pin to all of this. They always have been and they always will be.

That said, Gottleib is not alone in his sentiment. Pat Forde wrote a similar column earlier this week, comparing the respective fates of WVU and UofL since the B12 chose the Mountaineers over the Cardinals.

Forde (Yahoo!): Everything's been roses for ACC-bound Louisville after being spurned by Big 12

It's difficult to argue Forde's points but the sample size is far too small to make any definitive judgments either way. However, I still don't quite understand why the B12 chose to make it and either/or decision when they could have easily had both?
04-09-2013 10:01 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
The BE may not have had long term stability but man do the other leagues want their teams!

Looking at hoops next year it's not hard to believe that Syracuse and Lville will be leading the ACC and the recruiting advantage that WVA(Football) has in being in close proximity to VA, MD, PA & OH overtime will make them the top contender in a conference where there are 5 AQ programs in Texas and 2 in Oklahoma. VA, MD, PA & OH after 2013 will only have 6 total AQ programs.

Lville will continue to win instate recruiting and the city's proximity to Ohio & Indiana plus Strong's recruiting ties in Florida mean the Cardinals are going to make life difficult for Clemson & FSU in football.
04-09-2013 10:05 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(04-09-2013 09:55 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Multiple people who are in the business told me repeatedly Louisville had the votes to get in the Big XII. They just never agreed on #12 thus they never acted.

The Big 12 still has a chance to get it right at this point and build a bridge to WVU. They should grab Cincinnati and Memphis to get back to 12. Cincinnati gived WVU a partner and Memphis is geographic fit with Texas and Oklahoma schools.

When you have Texas and Oklahoma you don't need to grab another football power. Those two schools upgrade the basketball league and provide recruiting opportunities and exposure into Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Which puts the conference on the doorstep of the SEC and the Big Ten.
04-09-2013 10:09 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-09-2013 10:05 AM)Poliicious Wrote:  The BE may not have had long term stability but man do the other leagues want their teams!

Looking at hoops next year it's not hard to believe that Syracuse and Lville will be leading the ACC and the recruiting advantage that WVA(Football) has in being in close proximity to VA, MD, PA & OH overtime will make them the top contender in a conference where there are 5 AQ programs in Texas and 2 in Oklahoma. VA, MD, PA & OH after 2013 will only have 6 total AQ programs.

Lville will continue to win instate recruiting and the city's proximity to Ohio & Indiana plus Strong's recruiting ties in Florida mean the Cardinals are going to make life difficult for Clemson & FSU in football.

Big East falling apart was a function of a changing marketplace.

It has reinvented what it is about multiple times. I wonder what would have happened had Schnellenberger not walked from the Great Metro talks because independence was the way to national prominence (and some revenue sharing arguments).

Never would have been a Big East in football and never added the all-sport members they added while schools like BC and Syracuse would have been football only in the GM.
04-09-2013 10:18 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

If the B12 fails it will be because 4 schools decided to leave, not because UL didn't join. That said, UL looks to be a lot better overall program than WVU for now anyway.
04-09-2013 10:23 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
We should have taken both WVU and UofL, even if UofL needed another year in the BE -- some of us were screaming for such! 03-hissyfit

And staying at 11 would have allowed no CCG which is what UT was apparently trying to avoid back then.

Water under the bridge. To the future, and beyond! 02-13-banana
04-09-2013 10:31 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-09-2013 10:01 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I agree with Eer on this one.

Look, I too think the Big 12 goofed ENORMOUSLY when it failed to add Louisville and Cincinnati to go along with West Virginia. Geography may not be quite as important as it once was but it is still important to have at least some regional rivalries and the Cardinals and Bearcats would have given the Mountaineers just that. Those programs also would have further strengthened the B12 in both football and men's basketball. However, Texas is CLEARLY the lynch pin to all of this. They always have been and they always will be.

That said, Gottleib is not alone in his sentiment. Pat Forde wrote a similar column earlier this week, comparing the respective fates of WVU and UofL since the B12 chose the Mountaineers over the Cardinals.

Forde (Yahoo!): Everything's been roses for ACC-bound Louisville after being spurned by Big 12

It's difficult to argue Forde's points but the sample size is far too small to make any definitive judgments either way. However, I still don't quite understand why the B12 chose to make it and either/or decision when they could have easily had both?

Everybody wanted to play Texas (especially Texas) and Oklahoma every year. That's my best guess.

Either that or who's #12 and how would divisions be split. Again.... they all want to play Texas and in Texas as much as possible.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 10:32 AM by blunderbuss.)
04-09-2013 10:31 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
I would like to see the Big 12 and ACC trade Louisville and West Virginia, if only to bring back the Backyard Brawl and Black Diamond Trophy. I didn't turn in for any WVU games in the Big 12, and it's very unlikely I'll watch any Louisville games in the ACC. Rivalry games tend to get my attention.

Too bad it will never happen.
04-09-2013 10:39 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I partially agree with The Loud Mouthed Credit Card Thief Who Was Kicked Out Of School.

The Big 12 should have taken Louisville. It has a terrific all around athletic program.

The Big 12 is not going to fall apart, though.
04-09-2013 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Yeah, i don't know why the big 12 just didn't jump to 11 with LVILLE if they were uncertain about pick 12 or more. Well, i can guess, 11 isn't as clean cut as 12, probably would have taken a short term $ hit, and the big 12 figured Lville had no place to go. Lesson learned is to think long term rather than short term but i'm not sure how that applies to other leagues right now. The acc could pick up UCONN but than they would need a football only school to pair with ND. I think the better move for the ACC would be to offer WVU, thus they would box the big 12 out of its region. Would WVU jump is another issue but i think the acc should tell them they have an open invite for spot 16, than they could worry about the football only after wvu moved.
04-09-2013 10:45 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-09-2013 10:45 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Yeah, i don't know why the big 12 just didn't jump to 11 with LVILLE if they were uncertain about pick 12 or more. Well, i can guess, 11 isn't as clean cut as 12, probably would have taken a short term $ hit, and the big 12 figured Lville had no place to go. Lesson learned is to think long term rather than short term but i'm not sure how that applies to other leagues right now. The acc could pick up UCONN but than they would need a football only school to pair with ND. I think the better move for the ACC would be to offer WVU, thus they would box the big 12 out of its region. Would WVU jump is another issue but i think the acc should tell them they have an open invite for spot 16, than they could worry about the football only after wvu moved.

Navy......
04-09-2013 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Navy would work or i like BYU football only. The other option would be to jump to 18 with WVU, Uconn and Gtown if WVU weren't willing to move bring in cincy instead. I guess such moves depend on how solid the acc membership is, if they aren't united than they probably don't want to complicate things to scare off members + they probably want to keep the concept of ND football joining alive. The simplest move is probably the best bet and that is to stand still but than you get the deer in headlight thing. I like adding WVU or UConn with a football only to either byu or navy. Make the football only a short term deal so if ND ever wants to join for football you kick the football only school out and you got you 16 team ACC lineup.
04-09-2013 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.