Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC->CUSA->AAC
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
SBC->CUSA->AAC
so when Cincy and UCONN leave the AAC for other conferences who does the American choose out of CUSA or the MAC to take their place?

USM, UAB, Marshall, Rice, Ohio, Kent st? No Illinois, etc etc?

Rumor has it that CUSA would take Ark st and ULL if they lose 2 more teams. so if you want to 05-deadhorse
04-09-2013 11:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
RE: SBC->CUSA->AAC
(04-09-2013 11:33 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  so when Cincy and UCONN leave the AAC for other conferences who does the American choose out of CUSA or the MAC to take their place?

Rumor has it that CUSA would take Ark st and ULL if they lose 2 more teams. so if you want to 05-deadhorse

Rumor is ark st and ULL to CUSA anyways..to make 16, would kill the belts recent success in football..takes the back to back champs and ULL which has a good fan base.although both will average 30k this season most likely
04-09-2013 11:36 PM
gatek99 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Niagara
(04-09-2013 11:36 PM)RustonCAT Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 11:33 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  so when Cincy and UCONN leave the AAC for other conferences who does the American choose out of CUSA or the MAC to take their place?

Rumor is ark st and ULL to CUSA anyways..to make 16, would kill the belts recent success in football..takes the back to back champs and ULL which has a good fan base.although both will average 30k this season most likely

This will probably just mean JMU and Liberty to the SBC correct?
04-09-2013 11:54 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND

ODU if their football is up to speed, or, FIU or FAU depending on which is better.
UMass, possibly, to backfill UConn.
04-10-2013 12:10 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-10-2013 12:10 AM)NoDak Wrote:  ODU if their football is up to speed, or, FIU or FAU depending on which is better.

Don't think so -- if UConn ever manages to escape, the AAC schools (who will almost all be in the south) are not likely to replace UConn with another northeastern school (unless Army agrees to join). They'll reinforce the southern footprint.
04-10-2013 12:14 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(04-10-2013 12:14 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 12:10 AM)NoDak Wrote:  ODU if their football is up to speed, or, FIU or FAU depending on which is better.

Don't think so -- if UConn ever manages to escape, the AAC schools (who will almost all be in the south) are not likely to replace UConn with another northeastern school (unless Army agrees to join). They'll reinforce the southern footprint.

The NE market potential would be Army, Stony Brook and UMass. Those markets are > southern markets like San Antonio (UTSA), Miami/Broward (FIU/FAU), Atlanta (Ga St), and Tidewater (ODU). Except for ODU, the other southern school would have significant objections. Temple and Navy would want more NE presence.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 12:22 AM by NoDak.)
04-10-2013 12:20 AM
Advertisement

AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
the AAC was already looking at UMass, Buffalo, Southern Miss and Northern Illinois. Army already has a standing invite and is not really a back-fill candidate.
04-10-2013 12:43 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

I thought of that today. If teams are going to 16 teams, there's probably a reason. Namely that conference semi-finals are allowed. In that case The American may decide to go to 16. I came up with :

South West - If you add a 4th Texas school, Tulsa is on an island.
-----
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
UTep

South
-----
Memphis
UAB
Southern Miss (Without So Miss, you have a big hole in this division)
Tulane

Florida - 4 Fla. teams to try and guarantee 1 good Florida bowl.
-----
UCF
USF
FAU
FIU

North
-----
UMass
Temple
Navy
ECU

13 former CUSA members plus UMass, Temple and Navy. I would expect CUSA to try and expand to 16 as well. Maybe absorb the Sunbelt.
04-10-2013 01:52 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
No, Illinois?
04-10-2013 08:31 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-10-2013 01:52 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I thought of that today. If teams are going to 16 teams, there's probably a reason. Namely that conference semi-finals are allowed.
And if its only one of the five thinking of going to 16 teams, then the reason is more likely something particular to that conference, like putting together divisions that reduce average travel costs and increase appeal on specific regional cable networks.
04-10-2013 08:43 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
In order for Cincinnati and UCONN to leave, they'd first have to have some place to go. :)
04-10-2013 08:47 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Arkansas State has two weeknight games, it'll be hard for ASU to hit 30k this year average.
04-10-2013 09:10 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(04-10-2013 12:43 AM)AntiG Wrote:  the AAC was already looking at UMass, Buffalo, Southern Miss and Northern Illinois. Army already has a standing invite and is not really a back-fill candidate.

This is a completely false statement. There has never been any indication the AAC has looked at Buffalo or NIU. Not sure why you say otherwise.

As for who could be added next, I think it may be some kind of combination of Southern Miss, UMass, ODU, UTSA, and possibly Charlotte, if they get up to speed. This is strictly my opinion. Rice could also be looked at.
04-10-2013 09:57 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

By the way, not JUST UC and UConn will leave AAC for ACC. Either there will be NO movement, or there will be 4-6 teams moving. To say JUST UC and UConn leave to ACC assumes that the Big 10 take 2 ACC teams and no one else (Big 12 or SEC) make any moves. This is highly unlikely. If the Big 10 makes no more moves, UC and UConn aren't going anywhere. However, if the Big 10 makes 2 moves, then yes, UC and UConn will leave, however, the Big 12 and SEC will then also likely add 2 ACC teams and there will be numerous moves. I can't see a scenario where there is just 2 moves by the Big 10 and no one else moves.
04-10-2013 10:01 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(04-10-2013 01:52 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I thought of that today. If teams are going to 16 teams, there's probably a reason. Namely that conference semi-finals are allowed. In that case The American may decide to go to 16. I came up with :
South West - If you add a 4th Texas school, Tulsa is on an island.
-----
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
UTep

South
-----
Memphis
UAB
Southern Miss (Without So Miss, you have a big hole in this division)
Tulane

Florida - 4 Fla. teams to try and guarantee 1 good Florida bowl.
-----
UCF
USF
FAU
FIU

North
-----
UMass
Temple
Navy
ECU

I like the general idea. I would add some different teams though, making the divisions look like this:
West: Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, Northern Illinois
Southwest: Houston, Rice, Tulane, USM
Southeast: UCF, USF, UAB, ECU
East: Navy, Temple, Marshall, Toledo/Ohio
04-10-2013 10:04 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(04-10-2013 12:43 AM)AntiG Wrote:  the AAC was already looking at UMass, Buffalo, Southern Miss and Northern Illinois. Army already has a standing invite and is not really a back-fill candidate.

Well, when you lose UConn and Cincy you will also lose your very modest $2 million TV deal and then the AAC will totally be CUSA with a $1 million TV deal which is right back to where you were the last few years when MAC teams declined your offers, so what makes you think the AAC can even lure MAC teams? You couldn't before, you think the AAC name slapped onto the same CUSA teams will fool us? The last time Cincy left, invitations were extended to MAC schools and we said no. Cincy will leave again, and we will say no regardless of your new name.
04-10-2013 10:11 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2013 10:11 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Well, when you lose UConn and Cincy you will also lose your very modest $2 million TV deal and then the AAC will totally be CUSA with a $1 million TV deal which is right back to where you were the last few years when MAC teams declined your offers, so what makes you think the AAC can even lure MAC teams? You couldn't before, you think the AAC name slapped onto the same CUSA teams will fool us? The last time Cincy left, invitations were extended to MAC schools and we said no. Cincy will leave again, and we will say no regardless of your new name.

The Big East never invited any MAC programs. Show me otherwise if you believe they did.

BTW the Tulsa World says TV deal is actually worth 3.5M and was underreported.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/J...TLIN627987

Upham says Big East membership should be worth between $2.8 million and $3.5 million a year.

"The revenue boost we get will more than cover our fees over the five-year period," Upham said.

The current Big East recently concluded negotiations on new television contracts with ESPN/ABC and CBS. The reported figures from those deals suggest that each member school would receive slightly less than $2 million a year, but the terms of the new television contracts "have been understated," Aresco said.

"All I can say is that when people have talked about revenue in our conference, they have tended to understate it," Aresco told the Tulsa World. "We have two TV deals. We also have marketing rights that people have not figured in. A lot of conferences sell their marketing rights as part of their TV deal. We didn't. In addition, we have a lot of other sources of revenue in this conference (most notably, the $100 million from the departing Catholic universities).
04-10-2013 10:23 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-10-2013 10:23 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

Well, when you lose UConn and Cincy you will also lose your very modest $2 million TV deal and then the AAC will totally be CUSA with a $1 million TV deal which is right back to where you were the last few years when MAC teams declined your offers, ...

The Big East never invited any MAC programs. Show me otherwise if you believe they did.
Presumably he's talking about something more recent than Marshall going to CUSA, and I'm not sure which offers he is referring to, but he's not saying MAC schools turned down the Old Big East.

"back to where you were the last few years", follows "then the AAC will totally be CUSA". Its not a claim that MAC schools turned down the Old Big East, its a claim that MAC schools turned down CUSA.
04-10-2013 11:00 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(04-10-2013 10:23 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

The CUSA did invite MAC teams, and that is exactly what you are with a different name. Follow along. Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, UCF, Tulsa, Cincinnati etc = CUSA no matter what name-change label you slap on. The last time Cincinnati left that same group of schools (2004), CUSA (now AAC) invited MAC teams and 2 or 3 declined (Miami and Toledo for sure declined). Changing your name from CUSA to AAC isn't fooling anybody and when UC and UConn leave, ESPN will terminate the TV deal and the new TV deal will be exactly what CUSA gets.

Maybe the schools in the "MAC" should change our name to the "B1GG TENN" so that we can all of a sudden get arrogant and overestimate our worth like the schools in "CUSA" did with "AAC"

Think that will work?
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 11:08 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
04-10-2013 11:04 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
(04-10-2013 08:47 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  In order for Cincinnati and UCONN to leave, they'd first have to have some place to go. :)

Yep and unless the ACC gets poached no spots open up. Even if they do lose 1 or 2, they will still have the needed 12 for a football title game so adding programs is not a requirement. If their ESPN TV deal payouts remain the same then splitting the $ between 12 instead of 14 means greater shares for the remaining 12. So even if the ACC losses up to 2 teams, there are no guarantees they will seek more members.

If the SEC & B10 poach the ACC then there will be movement
04-10-2013 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.