Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Loyola to MVC
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Loyola to MVC
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 04:57 PM by orangefan.)
04-13-2013 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
RE: Loyola to MVC
Hmm...
04-13-2013 05:15 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
03-phew
04-13-2013 06:00 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
that means the Horizon is going to drop to 8 schools-who do they pick up or do they pick anyone up?
04-13-2013 06:03 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I guess the private schools wanted to keep it 6-4 public-private. If the Valley goes to 12, this should make adding a public school more palatable.

It would be interesting to see the Horizon's repsonse now that they are down two schools. Loyola does not play baseball, so the Horizon still only needs one school that plays baseball to get back to six teams. Men's soccer will have seven after Loyola leaves, and Belmont (independent) could be brought on as an affiliate even if they don't join for all sports.

I'd think the Horizon League would have to look at the following:

Oakland (does play baseball, but HL is already in the Detroit market)
IPFW (does play baseball; close to Detroit and Valparaiso)
IUPUI (no baseball)
Western Illinois (plays baseball, but not much of a native market; also plays FCS football)
SIU-Edwardsville (does play baseball, offers a toehold in St. Louis market)
Evansville (would they leave the MVC?)
04-13-2013 06:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
I think this is a better choice than UIC. I think the MVC should just go to 12 and add Belmont and Oral Roberts as well although that's probably too many privates.
04-13-2013 06:21 PM
Advertisement

MSUBear42 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THUNDERStruck73
Re: Loyola to MVC
Goodbye

WE ARE. MO STATE
04-13-2013 06:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(04-13-2013 06:51 PM)MSUBear42 Wrote:  Goodbye

WE ARE. MO STATE

You can't see MSU in the Sun Belt or MAC as a football only and still remain in the Valley?
04-13-2013 07:19 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(04-13-2013 06:14 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  I guess the private schools wanted to keep it 6-4 public-private. If the Valley goes to 12, this should make adding a public school more palatable.

It would be interesting to see the Horizon's repsonse now that they are down two schools. Loyola does not play baseball, so the Horizon still only needs one school that plays baseball to get back to six teams. Men's soccer will have seven after Loyola leaves, and Belmont (independent) could be brought on as an affiliate even if they don't join for all sports.

I'd think the Horizon League would have to look at the following:

Oakland (does play baseball, but HL is already in the Detroit market)
IPFW (does play baseball; close to Detroit and Valparaiso)
IUPUI (no baseball)
Western Illinois (plays baseball, but not much of a native market; also plays FCS football)
SIU-Edwardsville (does play baseball, offers a toehold in St. Louis market)
Evansville (would they leave the MVC?)

Was surprised at the early rumors that UIC was the choice because firmly believed that Evansville, Drake, and Bradley wouldn't allow a public to replace the private Creighton, and sure enough now Loyola looks to be the choice. When Elgin says there isn't private/public tension or even politics - that is clearly bull.

The rumor of Detroit/Cleveland St to the A10 was interesting and possible: would add two big markets.

Oakland is likely on deck. Maybe Robert Morris as a new Youngstown St partner. Highly doubt the Horizon adds W Ill, as it's too rural and low market. IPFW and IUPUI haven't seemed to have made their case either from a facilities or performance perspective.
04-13-2013 07:45 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-13-2013 06:21 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  I think this is a better choice than UIC. I think the MVC should just go to 12 and add Belmont and Oral Roberts as well although that's probably too many privates.
If Wichita St gets an invite elsewhere, could see UIC. Belmont and ORU use athletics as a way to advertise for students. The MVC isn't a good market for Belmont, which is a school that targets music and business students that want to make it on Music Row. The SoCon or Sun Belt would be better options in terms of student enrollment. For ORU, Texas, La, and Ark are prime markets for the type students it seeks.
04-13-2013 07:54 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(04-13-2013 07:19 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

WE ARE. MO STATE

You can't see MSU in the Sun Belt or MAC as a football only and still remain in the Valley?

I think MSU would jump on a football only invite, but as weak as our football team is, there is no way they would give us a football invite without getting getting our stronger sports too.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 07:57 PM by msu_bears.)
04-13-2013 07:56 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-13-2013 07:56 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  

WE ARE. MO STATE

I think MSU would jump on a football only invite, but as weak as our football team is, there is no way they would give us a football invite without getting getting our stronger sports too.
With the MVC having 2.5 times the credits of the Sun Belt, the Sun Belt would mean a drop in conference basketball revenue for Mo St of nearly $400,00, unlike Appy St and Ga Southern which would gain the full windfall of the FBS agreement.
04-13-2013 08:07 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Butler beat writer for the Indianapolis Star

https://twitter.com/DavidWoods007/status...1731787777

Quote:Horizon losing both Chicago schools. MT @Pg_Benson Evansville Courier-Press reporting Loyola invited to join MVC and accepted.

Quote:@JMarcKeith @DavidWoods007 I think it will be ORU or Missouri-Kansas City, if they go that route. Nebraska-Omaha outside chance.
04-13-2013 09:20 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Peoria Star-Journal says only Loyola headed to MVC, not UIC

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x709246028/...t-10-teams
04-13-2013 09:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(04-13-2013 08:07 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-13-2013 07:56 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  

WE ARE. MO STATE

With the MVC having 2.5 times the credits of the Sun Belt, the Sun Belt would mean a drop in conference basketball revenue for Mo St of nearly $400,00, unlike Appy St and Ga Southern which would gain the full windfall of the FBS agreement.

MVC does not have 2.5 times the credits of the Sun Belt. 2014 for instance it's 16-12. It doesn't go until like 2017 and 2018 that the MVC is way ahead of the Sun Belt- but that's just because of this season quite frankly.
04-13-2013 09:33 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Interesting that the Valley which has basketball as it's most important sport is adding a team that hasn't made the tourney since the 80s.......they did win the NCAA Championship in 1963 though!
04-13-2013 09:33 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

Looks like UNO will not get any call unless a public school leaves the Valley
04-13-2013 10:15 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(04-13-2013 07:54 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(04-13-2013 06:21 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  I think this is a better choice than UIC. I think the MVC should just go to 12 and add Belmont and Oral Roberts as well although that's probably too many privates.
If Wichita St gets an invite elsewhere, could see UIC. Belmont and ORU use athletics as a way to advertise for students. The MVC isn't a good market for Belmont, which is a school that targets music and business students that want to make it on Music Row. The SoCon or Sun Belt would be better options in terms of student enrollment. For ORU, Texas, La, and Ark are prime markets for the type students it seeks.

-Wichita State isn't earning an invite elsewhere because of its tiny market. If the AAC wanted to go the route of adding a basketball school St. Louis has more strategic value.

-Belmont isn't going into the SBC. That is the polar opposite of the kind of regional basketball oriented conference they are looking for.
04-13-2013 10:41 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
(04-13-2013 09:33 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  Interesting that the Valley which has basketball as it's most important sport is adding a team that hasn't made the tourney since the 80s.......they did win the NCAA Championship in 1963 though!

...but they are in Chicago and thats all that matters. 03-banghead
04-13-2013 11:38 PM
College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
I think the MVC just signed its death warrant. Not that they really had much of a choice. They are no longer a Top 10 conference. That means it will be very hard to get at-large bids, and that could be death for a basketball conference.

For one, it means that Wichita State will probably start considering a move to the A10. Right now, the A10 would be the 9th best conference by RPI with .5397, while the MVC would be the 11th with a conference RPI of .5315. If Wichita State left, the A10 would jump to the 7th best conference while the MVC would be closer to C-USA and Horizon League. The #1 concern for Wichita State is being in a strong basketball conference so they can keep their coach, and they WILL leave if they think it would help them get tournament invites.

Also, at least three MVC schools are considering moves to FBS conference (MSU, Illinois State, and UNI). If Wichita State leaves, they would accelerate the jump. Though it may happen regardless.

Either way, I think the 2nd oldest conference in America has fallen to the level of the 1-bid conferences. If enough teams leave at once, it may cease to exist at all, though that probably will not happen.
04-14-2013 12:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.