Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Outgoing UNC chanc Holden Thorp; AD, not Presidents, should run college sports
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

I Root For: UGA
Outgoing UNC chanc Holden Thorp; AD, not Presidents, should run college sports
This might make it easier for an AD at UNC and NCS to make a move, iyam.

"Outgoing North Carolina chancellor Holden Thorp said Friday that presidents are often ill-equipped to run big-time sports programs and should give more control to their athletic directors.

Speaking during a campus forum about balancing athletics and academics, Thorp said the "presidential-control idea has sort of gotten away from us" and that the model hasn't prevented corruption or the money-driven culture of college sports.

"Either we put the ADs back in charge and hold them accountable if things don't work," Thorp said, "... or let's be honest and tell everyone when we select them to run institutions that run big-time sports that athletics is the most important part of their job."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ot-working
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 12:50 PM by Lurker Above.)
04-21-2013 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: Outgoing UNC chancellor Holden Thorp advises AD, not Presidents, run sports
A whole lot of smoke coming out of UNC these days.

Wonder how long it will take for the Tarheel Cartel that is present on this forum to show up and tell us it means nothing.

Note to the OP: You might want to shorten your title by three characters.
04-21-2013 10:29 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Outgoing UNC chancellor Holden Thorp
That will be the day that College Team Sports start, paying federal income taxes. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 11:50 AM by Wilkie01.)
04-21-2013 11:49 AM
He1nousOne Offline

RE: Outgoing UNC chancellor Holden Thorp
(04-21-2013 11:49 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  That will be the day that College Team Sports start, paying federal income taxes. 07-coffee3

What??? This is talking about a shift in who is in charge. How does THIS happening mean colleges start paying federal income taxes?

All this would be is Delegation. I see people talk about the Federal Government changing the status of these schools in so many threads and generally speaking I can see why someone would think such despite their thinking being faulty but this.....seriously?

Senator: "You know, we were fine when Schools moved conferences in order to earn millions more in dollars but when you guys delegated some authority from the President down to the Athletic Director...you went too far!!"

Just silly...
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 11:58 AM by He1nousOne.)
04-21-2013 11:56 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(04-21-2013 10:29 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  A whole lot of smoke coming out of UNC these days.

Wonder how long it will take for the Tarheel Cartel that is present on this forum to show up and tell us it means nothing.

Not long.....It means nothing!

I'm sure that you want to take note that the President of the AAU (of which UNC is a member) and Jim Delany (UNC alumni and commissioner of the B1G) were participating in the forum.
04-21-2013 12:39 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(04-21-2013 12:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(04-21-2013 10:29 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  A whole lot of smoke coming out of UNC these days.

I'm sure that you want to take note that the President of the AAU (of which UNC is a member) and Jim Delany (UNC alumni and commissioner of the B1G) were participating in the forum.

Actually if you want to pick out lines from the article to share, I think this quote is even more important.

Quote:"I'm saying a lot more today than I would say if I wasn't going to Division III to be a provost," Thorp said. "My successor will be here soon and she will not want to say anything that makes the NCAA upset or cause the fan base to start an email campaign to the board (of trustees), which shouldn't work but it does. But hopefully my saying these things will make it easier for her."

The fact that Delany was there and the writer felt the need to state that is very interesting. The fact that the President of the AAU was there as well is even more intriguing to me but I would have to know more about the totality of what was spoken on at the forum to be able to better judge that.
04-21-2013 01:31 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Outgoing UNC chanc Holden Thorp; AD, not Presidents, should run college sports
This has nothing to do with this topic or thread, but I think that all universities and churches should pay taxes.

Neither group of entities are "non-profit" organizations. I don't think that taxing churches violates the First Amendment.

Chances of either happening? What is the temperature of absolute zero? -274 degrees? That much of a chance.
04-21-2013 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

(04-21-2013 01:31 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Actually if you want to pick out lines from the article to share, I think this quote is even more important.

Quote:"I'm saying a lot more today than I would say if I wasn't going to Division III to be a provost," Thorp said. "My successor will be here soon and she will not want to say anything that makes the NCAA upset or cause the fan base to start an email campaign to the board (of trustees), which shouldn't work but it does. But hopefully my saying these things will make it easier for her."

The fact that Delany was there and the writer felt the need to state that is very interesting. The fact that the President of the AAU was there as well is even more intriguing to me but I would have to know more about the totality of what was spoken on at the forum to be able to better judge that.

Yep, especially the last line. Easier for her to let an AD make a decision that could cause "the fan base to start an email campaign to the board (of trustees)". Wow!
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 02:43 PM by Lurker Above.)
04-21-2013 02:22 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Delany was part of the panel.
The AAU president was part of the panel too.
When we have a panel.....we don't mess around (except Jay Bilas ((dookie)) was allowed to participate.)

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/unc...un-athleti

http://www.news-record.com/home/1092638-...s-off-with
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 02:35 PM by XLance.)
04-21-2013 02:29 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
(04-21-2013 02:22 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  Yep, especially the last line. Easier for her to let an AD make a decision that could cause "the fan base to start an email campaign to the board (of trustees)...! Wow!

Educators love answering to their boards on matters that matter not..

And to all of those "substantial donors" out there that will cut ties at that first wrong move.
04-21-2013 02:33 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

RE: Outgoing UNC chanc Holden Thorp; AD, not Presidents, should run college sports
(04-21-2013 02:06 PM)TerryD Wrote:  This has nothing to do with this topic or thread, but I think that all universities and churches should pay taxes.

South Bend just called... They want to know how much gold is in the dome. 03-wink
04-21-2013 02:46 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(04-21-2013 02:29 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Delany was part of the panel.
The AAU president was part of the panel too.
When we have a panel.....we don't mess around (except Jay Bilas ((dookie)) was allowed to participate.)

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/unc...un-athleti

http://www.news-record.com/home/1092638-...s-off-with

Thank you for the links. I found the second one to be extremely helpful. That truly was an impressive panel. I thought perhaps with the President of the AAU heading up the panel that it might not be directed mainly at athletics but I was wrong. Very interesting that he was heading it up and that Delany was invited to be there. I know he is a UNC grad and all but come on....

Of course it doesn't mean there will be movement but this does show that the folks at UNC are not just sitting on their hindquarters comfortable with how things are going for them currently.

It does perplex me to a degree to see the President of the AAU leading that panel. I know these athletes are student athletes so it does fall under the realm of Academics but for him to lead the panel? Don't know what it means but it is very interesting.

I truly wish I was there to sit in and listen. Thanks again.
04-21-2013 03:12 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-21-2013 02:46 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  
(04-21-2013 02:06 PM)TerryD Wrote:  This has nothing to do with this topic or thread, but I think that all universities and churches should pay taxes.

South Bend just called... They want to know how much gold is in the dome. 03-wink

Fine by me. I didn't stutter. No exemption or exceptions.

I think that all churches should be taxed.
04-21-2013 03:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

(04-21-2013 03:16 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I think that all churches should be taxed.

It's just better if the two stay out of each other's business.

If nothing else, the good churches are doing a much better job than governments at redistributing wealth and caring for those that need a something more than government handouts. It would be counter-productive to drive churches out of the cities to where taxes are lower.
04-21-2013 03:36 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(04-21-2013 03:36 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  

If nothing else, the good churches are doing a much better job than governments at redistributing wealth and caring for those that need a something more than government handouts. It would be counter-productive to drive churches out of the cities to where taxes are lower.

Wow. Sanity. +2
04-21-2013 04:57 PM
Lurker Above Offline
1st String

(04-21-2013 09:28 AM)Lurker Above Wrote:  This might make it easier for an AD at UNC and NCS to make a move, iyam.

"Outgoing North Carolina chancellor Holden Thorp said Friday that presidents are often ill-equipped to run big-time sports programs and should give more control to their athletic directors.

Speaking during a campus forum about balancing athletics and academics, Thorp said the "presidential-control idea has sort of gotten away from us" and that the model hasn't prevented corruption or the money-driven culture of college sports.

"Either we put the ADs back in charge and hold them accountable if things don't work," Thorp said, "... or let's be honest and tell everyone when we select them to run institutions that run big-time sports that athletics is the most important part of their job."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ot-working

UPDATE
Here is a USA Today article discussing the role of Presidents and a lot more, including the Power 5 splitting off in football and basketball.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...t/2097115/
04-21-2013 07:18 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

Said it before and will say it again. The usage of threats of leaving the NCAA are the best tool the Majors have in order to leverage the rest of the NCAA into caving in to their demands. We very likely will see a ramping up of talk about separating from the NCAA but as the official from Oklahoma says in that piece, the talk of separating from the NCAA is much easier to do than the actual action would be.

The media campaign has begun.
04-21-2013 08:22 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-21-2013 03:36 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  

Check your facts. In the average protestant church less than 3 cents out of every dollar actually reaches a person in need. Most of the money goes into the building and grounds, staff, staff insurance, staff retirement, administrative costs within the denomination (pick one any one) and even the money designated for helping the poor or overseas mission will actually wind up in the pocket of a clergy of that denomination who has been selected to head up the bureaucracy of that aspect of ministry. He/she will then need a housing allowance, retirement, insurance, and a salary. It is a structure of the clergy, by the clergy and for the clergy. The pie charts given out to the laity will have nice percentages shown going to the charity, home or foreign missions, etc. but those pieces of the pie are reduced to about nothing when you actually find out what that set aside money goes to within that category. It's just like with everything else in life, if you want to know the truth you have to dig much deeper than just the brochure. The Catholic church does a little better, but not a lot.

If you want to help a homeless person, a widow, an orphan, the hungry, the sick, the prisoners, or the stranger who is in our land then you better do the real Christian thing and do it yourself. It is the only way to be sure the money gets to where it needs to go.

I might add that I whole heartedly support Terry D's proposition. If churches actually had to pay taxes they would contribute a vastly larger percentage of their revenue to the actual charities. Tax exemption actually has been the free pass that turned what once was one of the greatest social outreach mechanisms in our communities and country into self serving corporately run entities.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 08:57 PM by JRsec.)
04-21-2013 08:47 PM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

(04-21-2013 08:47 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Check your facts.
I said the "good ones". They're out there. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 07:16 AM by SeaBlue.)
04-22-2013 07:11 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(04-21-2013 03:16 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(04-21-2013 02:46 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  

Fine by me. I didn't stutter. No exemption or exceptions.

I think that all churches should be taxed.

Donations to a church should not be taxed. It was given by people that have already paid income tax on that money.
04-22-2013 07:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.