Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

whither the Cap One Bowl?
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
whither the Cap One Bowl?
The cap one bowl has to be one of the biggest losers in the new playoff system. It has long been the highest paying non-BCS bowl, getting the highest rated B1G and SEC team not in the BCS.

But not anymore. The new 6 bowl semifinals rotation excludes the Cap One but includes two other bowls with SEC ties, the chikfila and cotton bowls, so the cap one is effectivly now behind them. Also, the SEC and B1G now have a rotating tie to the Orange Bowl too, which also supersedes the cap one.

So with the cap one likely to have access to around the 5th, mayne even 6th, SEC team, what does it do? Keep that SEC tie or bid for say the top Big 12 team outside the plauodffs and new BCS-semifinals bowls?
04-25-2013 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: whither the Cap One Bowl?
Most years, the SEC had 2 teams in the BCS, so Cap One was looking at SEC #3.

Now, say the SEC places No. 1 in the semifinals
No. 2 in the Sugar Bowl
No. 3 in the Orange or an Access Bowl.

So Cap One is looking at SEC #4.

(The Chik-fil-A and Cotton no longer have SEC ties, they get whoever the committee puts there. They'll have their share of SEC teams, but I don't think the No 4 SEC team goes to an Access Bowl very often.)
04-25-2013 11:48 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2013 11:48 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Most years, the SEC had 2 teams in the BCS, so Cap One was looking at SEC #3.

No. 2 in the Sugar Bowl

(The Chik-fil-A and Cotton no longer have SEC ties, they get whoever the committee puts there. They'll have their share of SEC teams, but I don't think the No 4 SEC team goes to an Access Bowl very often.)

Gotcha. So that begs another question: wil the SEC seek to replace the Cotton and Chik, and if so with which bowls?
04-25-2013 11:51 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(04-25-2013 11:16 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The cap one bowl has to be one of the biggest losers in the new playoff system. It has long been the highest paying non-BCS bowl, getting the highest rated B1G and SEC team not in the BCS.

But not anymore. The new 6 bowl semifinals rotation excludes the Cap One but includes two other bowls with SEC ties, the chikfila and cotton bowls, so the cap one is effectivly now behind them. Also, the SEC and B1G now have a rotating tie to the Orange Bowl too, which also supersedes the cap one.

So with the cap one likely to have access to around the 5th, mayne even 6th, SEC team, what does it do? Keep that SEC tie or bid for say the top Big 12 team outside the plauodffs and new BCS-semifinals bowls?

I've been the both, the Peach Bowl is far and away a better bowl than the Capital One IMO. Its in a bad area, the stadium is run down, and the game never sells out. Peach Bowl is a blast and top notch all the way. Good riddance.
04-25-2013 11:53 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
My guess is that the Capital One will be happy to extend its current contracts with the SEC and B1G to take their top non-CFP school. Since both conferences have frequently placed two school in the BCS, in many years, they will get the same matchup that they did under the BCS system. In some years, they may be knocked down a notch. However, the impact of this may be offset by the expansion of both conferences to 14 schools. I would expect the Capital One to maintain its status as the top non-BCS/CFP bowl.

Another interesting question about the CapOne Bowl is when will it be played? Will it go head to head with the CFP on New Year's Day (possibly televised on ABC with a CFP game on ESPN), or move to one of the prime time slots vacated by the former BCS bowls on 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4?

I note that both the ACC and B12 are losing their number one non-BCS bowl to the CFP, the Chick-fil-A and Cotton respectively. I look for the ACC to partner with the Gator Bowl as a replacement for the Chick-fil-A. Given the SEC's loss of the Cotton and Chick-fil-A, I could see them continuing their affiliation with the Gator as the ACC's opponent.

I could see the B12 upgrading its relationship with the Alamo Bowl, which currently gets its number 2 non-BCS school. That could set up a matchup between the top non-CFP schools of the B12 and P12 (which currently places its top non-BCS school to the Alamo), although the Buffalo Wild Wings or the Holiday could make a play for the top non-CFP schools from one or both of those conferences.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 12:01 PM by orangefan.)
04-25-2013 11:59 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
With all this movement and reshuffling---Im wondering what the #1 AAC bowl will be and against who?
04-25-2013 12:08 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 12:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  With all this movement and reshuffling---Im wondering what the #1 AAC bowl will be and against who?

The best bowl that I am absolutely certain that the AAC will partner with is the Liberty.

Undoubtedly, it will be looking for bowl partners in Florida, Texas and Louisiana. With USF and UCF, the AAC may manage to keep its affiliation with the Russell Athletic Bowl as a number one bowl (vs. the ACC). If it can't, the Sun (vs. P12, B12 or MWC) or Houston (vs. B12) currently have better payouts than the Liberty, and may have interest in partnering with the AAC.
04-25-2013 12:51 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-25-2013 12:51 PM)orangefan Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 12:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  With all this movement and reshuffling---Im wondering what the #1 AAC bowl will be and against who?

The best bowl that I am absolutely certain that the AAC will partner with is the Liberty.

Undoubtedly, it will be looking for bowl partners in Florida, Texas and Louisiana. With USF and UCF, the AAC may manage to keep its affiliation with the Russell Athletic Bowl as a number one bowl (vs. the ACC). If it can't, the Sun (vs. P12, B12 or MWC) or Houston (vs. B12) currently have better payouts than the Liberty, and may have interest in partnering with the AAC.

I think you are seeing things like I do, except that Im less certain of the Liberty than you. That said, the shuffle is bound to leave an opportunity somewhere, but the current situation is so fluid with so many different permutations, its really hard to get any kind of feel for the final outcome. I'd like to see us grab the Liberty and hold on to at least one of the three bowls we have at risk (Belk, Russell, Pinstripe).
04-25-2013 01:08 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(04-25-2013 11:53 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 11:16 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The cap one bowl has to be one of the biggest losers in the new playoff system. It has long been the highest paying non-BCS bowl, getting the highest rated B1G and SEC team not in the BCS.

I've been the both, the Peach Bowl is far and away a better bowl than the Capital One IMO. Its in a bad area, the stadium is run down, and the game never sells out. Peach Bowl is a blast and top notch all the way. Good riddance.

As an Orlando resident and UCF fan I agree completely. Ask any UCF fan and they'll tell you that the Citrus Bowl is lovingly called "The Citrus Dump". Terrible neighborhood, old stadium, new "faux turf" field however and the city of Orlando just approved a $120 million upgrade to the stadium, which most people disagree with. Most of us would prefer a better location and a new stadium. Most folks have heartburn with spending that kind of money on a facility that only gets used a couple of times a year, and is controlled by Florida Citrus Sports (AKA Florida Gator grad club). Especially since FCS basically kicked UCF out of the Citrus Bowl when is previously upgraded, which forced UCF to build an OCS. A blessing in disguise as it turns out, and FCS never forgave/forgot that UCF moved on. I'd personally like that stadium to burn to the ground, and FCS be gone from Orlando.
04-25-2013 02:23 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
No bowl is going to willingly give up bowl tie-ins with either the SEC or Big Ten. As long as the SEC and Big Ten want to continue playing in the Capital One Bowl (and all indications that they do since, despite the subpar venue itself, Orlando is still the most desirable bowl destination for the average fan/family outside of maybe Southern California), the Citrus Bowl Committee will not only welcome them with open arms, but also pay them handsomely (as in more than any other non-CFP bowl) for the privilege.
04-25-2013 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 02:23 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

As an Orlando resident and UCF fan I agree completely. Ask any UCF fan and they'll tell you that the Citrus Bowl is lovingly called "The Citrus Dump". Terrible neighborhood, old stadium, new "faux turf" field however and the city of Orlando just approved a $120 million upgrade to the stadium, which most people disagree with. Most of us would prefer a better location and a new stadium. Most folks have heartburn with spending that kind of money on a facility that only gets used a couple of times a year, and is controlled by Florida Citrus Sports (AKA Florida Gator grad club). Especially since FCS basically kicked UCF out of the Citrus Bowl when is previously upgraded, which forced UCF to build an OCS. A blessing in disguise as it turns out, and FCS never forgave/forgot that UCF moved on. I'd personally like that stadium to burn to the ground, and FCS be gone from Orlando.

As Frank notes, Orlando is an extremely desirable destination from a fan perspective. Any chance Bright House Networks Stadium could serve as a bowl location for a new or relocated bowl? Might be a good spot for a lower level game with the AAC as a participant.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 03:24 PM by orangefan.)
04-25-2013 03:24 PM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 03:24 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

As Frank notes, Orlando is an extremely desirable destination from a fan perspective. Any chance Bright House Networks Stadium could serve as a bowl location for a new or relocated bowl? Might be a good spot for a lower level game with the AAC as a participant.

No, probably not. The money to upgrade the Citrus Dump has already been allocated and the Cap One Bowl is tied to the hip with FCS. UCF tried to get another bowl located at BHNS called The Cure Bowl, but that never came to fruition. Unless FCS has long term plans to dramatically increase the stadium and its surrounding area, I don't think the Cap One Bowl will be better than a tier 2 bowl IMO.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 03:37 PM by Knightsweat.)
04-25-2013 03:33 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF

It's not a bad move. Bianchi actually explains it well.

http://orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/a...-75599802/
04-25-2013 03:58 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 03:33 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  No, probably not. The money to upgrade the Citrus Dump has already been allocated and the Cap One Bowl is tied to the hip with FCS. UCF tried to get another bowl located at BHNS called The Cure Bowl, but that never came to fruition. Unless FCS has long term plans to dramatically increase the stadium and its surrounding area, I don't think the Cap One Bowl will be better than a tier 2 bowl IMO.

I was thinking more of a relocation of the Russell Athletic Bowl or possibly the Beef O'Brady's Bowl from St. Pete. The CapOne Bowl seems set in stone.

(04-25-2013 03:58 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  It's not a bad move. Bianchi actually explains it well.

http://orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/a...-75599802/

There was no way the Capital One Bowl could have won an access bowl without a brand new NFL quality stadium. (Just ask San Diego). It would have gone head to head with Atlanta, who is building a brand new domed stadium even though they have an existing domed stadium that is undoubtedly a better facility than the Citrus Bowl even with $120 million in improvements. The Capital One Bowl is sitting in an enviable position as the leading non-CFP bowl, with great conference tie ins, despite the poor condition of its stadium.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 04:08 PM by orangefan.)
04-25-2013 04:02 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

So basically the Citrus Bowl is Legion Field on steroids
04-25-2013 04:04 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(04-25-2013 11:48 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Most years, the SEC had 2 teams in the BCS, so Cap One was looking at SEC #3.

No. 2 in the Sugar Bowl

Even if the playoffs/CFP bowls get 3 SEC teams, that would mean that last season, the Cap One would have had its choice among BCS #8 LSU, BCS #9 Texas A&M, and BCS #10 South Carolina, and even in an awful year for the Big Ten with their only top-15 team on probation, the Cap One would still have been able to choose a ranked, big-name team in Michigan or Nebraska.

I think they're good with that.
04-25-2013 04:15 PM
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 04:04 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

So basically the Citrus Bowl is Legion Field on steroids

I've never been to Legion Field so I can't comment.
04-25-2013 04:50 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2013 11:59 AM)orangefan Wrote:  My guess is that the Capital One will be happy to extend its current contracts with the SEC and B1G to take their top non-CFP school. Since both conferences have frequently placed two school in the BCS, in many years, they will get the same matchup that they did under the BCS system. In some years, they may be knocked down a notch. However, the impact of this may be offset by the expansion of both conferences to 14 schools. I would expect the Capital One to maintain its status as the top non-BCS/CFP bowl.

Another interesting question about the CapOne Bowl is when will it be played? Will it go head to head with the CFP on New Year's Day (possibly televised on ABC with a CFP game on ESPN), or move to one of the prime time slots vacated by the former BCS bowls on 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4?

I note that both the ACC and B12 are losing their number one non-BCS bowl to the CFP, the Chick-fil-A and Cotton respectively. I look for the ACC to partner with the Gator Bowl as a replacement for the Chick-fil-A. Given the SEC's loss of the Cotton and Chick-fil-A, I could see them continuing their affiliation with the Gator as the ACC's opponent.

You think the B1G is going to give up its Gator slot? I'm not so sure. It's a good-paying bowl, good location, and lots of history.
04-25-2013 06:39 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2013 12:51 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

I will be surprised if the AAC is able to keep the Russell bowl. Russell was only interested in the Big East when Notre Dame was in the mix. Now, Notre dame isn't in the mix (for the AAC), and the AAC has lost its highest-profile names. Really surprised. I expect the Big 12 to take its slot.
04-25-2013 06:42 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

Still think if AAC wants a good bowl for its champion, it's going to have to create one with a big hitter sponsorship. Otherwise it's all tier 3 bowls, maybe Liberty. The P5 want no part of the AAC, and will work the bowl system to be as such. I know it's not as simple as dialing up FedEx and renting out a stadium but efforting a new bowl as the AAC's premier bowl is the only option we have, IMO.
04-25-2013 06:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.