Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G in lax tourney
Bookmark and Share
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
B1G in lax tourney
Penn State and Ohio State both made the NCAA Men's lax tourney.

(There are only 16 teams in the tournament so it's kind of a big deal)

Penn State takes on Yale, Ohio State duels with Towson and UMD battles with Cornell starting next weekend!

See the full bracket here:
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-men/d1
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 09:42 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-06-2013 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
RE: B1G in lax tourney
There are only 18 programs, so the top 16 ain't THAT big of deal. It's LAX for goodness sake . . . . j/k!

I want the B1G to expand its hockey programs first, but then men's LAX and mens soccer would be a good build up too.
05-06-2013 11:46 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

Here's a list of D1 Men's lax programs: http://insidelacrosse.com/league/2013/D1

Slightly more than 18....

Regardless, it's nice to see B1G teams playing at the highest level!
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 08:19 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-07-2013 08:14 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
5-9 Detroit team made it in.
05-07-2013 09:14 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-07-2013 09:14 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  5-9 Detroit team made it in.

Behold the folly of the AQ.
05-07-2013 10:07 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
I'm not against it obviously, got my 2nd fav college in the tourney.
05-07-2013 11:22 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-07-2013 11:22 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  I'm not against it obviously, got my 2nd fav college in the tourney.

As much as I hate to say it, Hopkins or Virginia would have been more deserving.

Wow that hurt.
05-07-2013 10:01 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-07-2013 10:01 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 11:22 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  I'm not against it obviously, got my 2nd fav college in the tourney.

As much as I hate to say it, Hopkins or Virginia would have been more deserving.

Wow that hurt.
But Virginia can't complain about the AQ. Three out of four schools in their conference had a winning record, and all three went to the tournament. Heading into their conference tournament, the AQ was Virginia's only shot. But instead of putting together two wins, they first knocked out a better team before losing to a better team.

JHU can bemoan their fate at not having two bits at the cherry, one via their regular season record and a second via a two game top-four conference tournament ... but its not like they are independent because no conference would take them. That's always been their choice, and if they decide they'd rather have two bites of the cherry, they not only have free choice of existing conferences, but can actually bring a Big Ten lacrosse league into existence by deciding to join the Big Ten.
05-13-2013 03:35 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-13-2013 03:35 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 10:01 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

Wow that hurt.
But Virginia can't complain about the AQ. Three out of four schools in their conference had a winning record, and all three went to the tournament. Heading into their conference tournament, the AQ was Virginia's only shot. But instead of putting together two wins, they first knocked out a better team before losing to a better team.

JHU can bemoan their fate at not having two bits at the cherry, one via their regular season record and a second via a two game top-four conference tournament ... but its not like they are independent because no conference would take them. That's always been their choice, and if they decide they'd rather have two bites of the cherry, they not only have free choice of existing conferences, but can actually bring a Big Ten lacrosse league into existence by deciding to join the Big Ten.

The ACC doesn't have an AQ option. We all have to get at large bids.
05-13-2013 03:47 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 03:47 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  The ACC doesn't have an AQ option. We all have to get at large bids.
Oh, wait, you're right. I should have stopped laughing at the idea that Virginia with a losing season record and 0-3 in its conference "deserved" to be included in a discussion of which schools "deserved" to go rather than the luckiest of the AQ schools long enough to think that through some more.

Benchmark it against a rule so that any AQ school with a record under .500 has a play-in game, and Virginia STILL doesn't lose a spot to Detroit ... actually, neither does JHU.
05-13-2013 04:06 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-13-2013 04:06 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 03:47 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  The ACC doesn't have an AQ option. We all have to get at large bids.
Oh, wait, you're right. I should have stopped laughing at the idea that Virginia with a losing season record and 0-3 in its conference "deserved" to be included in a discussion of which schools "deserved" to go rather than the luckiest of the AQ schools long enough to think that through some more.

Benchmark it against a rule so that any AQ school with a record under .500 has a play-in game, and Virginia STILL doesn't lose a spot to Detroit ... actually, neither does JHU.

Consider strength of schedule: http://www.laxpower.com/update13/binmen/rpis01.php

3) UVA
-
-
20) JHU
-
-
-
46) Detroit

But yeah, Detroit had quality wins against... VMI?
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 09:32 PM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-13-2013 09:31 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 09:31 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Consider strength of schedule: http://www.laxpower.com/update13/binmen/rpis01.php

3) UVA
-
-
20) JHU
-
-
-
46) Detroit

But yeah, Detroit had quality wins against... VMI?
Sure, I'll consider strength of schedule. Had UVA got to a winning record with that strength of schedule, that would have been impressive.

But they didn't. Good on them for their ambition, but their performance on the field didn't match their ambition. A different way of phrasing, "We deserve to be in the NCAA tournament more than a team that played much better than its season record for two games to win an AQ" is, "We don't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament, and neither do they, but they go lucky and landed an AQ."
05-14-2013 01:10 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-14-2013 01:10 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  "We don't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament, and neither do they, but they go lucky and landed an AQ."

That's fair.
05-14-2013 08:59 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
When Rutgers and Maryland become conference members, only need 1 more program to add men's lacrosse and it's a conference sport. It will add alot of excitement to the spring sports schedule.
05-14-2013 11:52 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-14-2013 11:52 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  When Rutgers and Maryland become conference members, only need 1 more program to add men's lacrosse and it's a conference sport. It will add alot of excitement to the spring sports schedule.

I think the B1G lacrosse teams (read B1G Eastern Division) will form a non-AQ conference. B1G lax was one of the requirements that Maryland had for joining in the first place.

The Hopkins to the B1G rumor has legs.
05-15-2013 08:30 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2013 08:30 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  I think the B1G lacrosse teams (read B1G Eastern Division) will form a non-AQ conference. B1G lax was one of the requirements that Maryland had for joining in the first place.
That's a tough nut to crack. Big Ten Hockey went a long time with five schools split between the WCHA and CCHA before Penn State started up a sixth and they formed a conference competition.

Quote: The Hopkins to the B1G rumor has legs.
They are supposed to deliver the JHU working group report on joining a conference today. That'll be the first step to finding out how much legs the rumor has.
05-15-2013 10:37 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-15-2013 10:37 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-15-2013 08:30 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  I think the B1G lacrosse teams (read B1G Eastern Division) will form a non-AQ conference. B1G lax was one of the requirements that Maryland had for joining in the first place.
That's a tough nut to crack. Big Ten Hockey went a long time with five schools split between the WCHA and CCHA before Penn State started up a sixth and they formed a conference competition.

Quote: The Hopkins to the B1G rumor has legs.
They are supposed to deliver the JHU working group report on joining a conference today. That'll be the first step to finding out how much legs the rumor has.

Here's the page to watch: http://web.jhu.edu/administration/presid...committee/
05-15-2013 11:52 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
I hope Illinois adds Lacrosse - plenty of players in the state to support a program
05-15-2013 12:16 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2013 12:16 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  I hope Illinois adds Lacrosse - plenty of players in the state to support a program
Maybe Illinois adding Lacrosse would spur Northwestern to add Men's Lacrosse.

Illinois could add both Men and Women's Lacrosse for Title IX balance, but NW already plays Women's Lacrosse ... Evanston is on the Lake, and the North Shore Channel runs through Evanston, so perhaps crew is a possibility.
05-16-2013 12:57 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-16-2013 12:57 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-15-2013 12:16 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  I hope Illinois adds Lacrosse - plenty of players in the state to support a program
Maybe Illinois adding Lacrosse would spur Northwestern to add Men's Lacrosse.

Illinois could add both Men and Women's Lacrosse for Title IX balance, but NW already plays Women's Lacrosse ... Evanston is on the Lake, and the North Shore Channel runs through Evanston, so perhaps crew is a possibility.

That would work.
05-16-2013 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.