Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rutgers' Eddie Jordan pulling a George O'Leary
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Rutgers' Eddie Jordan pulling a George O'Leary
http://deadspin.com/coach-eddie-jordan-d...socialflow

Rutgers' new head men's basketball coach Eddie Jordan claimed he had a degree from Rutgers. Rutgers claimed he had a degree from Rutgers. There's two things wrong with those statements: he never gradutaed from Rutgers, and he never graduated, period.

What's worse is that Rutgers never bothered to check on this from their own registrar's office. And it's not like he's close to earning a degree either. And then there's this:

"in 2004, he was inducted into the the Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni..."

Umm, what??? They've listed him as a distiguished alum for nearly a decade and the guy is about 17 credits shy of a degree.

Maybe this is what happens when you make a major coaching hire without an AD.
05-10-2013 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Rutgers' Eddie Jordan pulling a George O'Leary
[Image: 19653.gif]
05-10-2013 03:40 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(05-10-2013 02:59 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://deadspin.com/coach-eddie-jordan-d...socialflow

Rutgers' new head men's basketball coach Eddie Jordan claimed he had a degree from Rutgers. Rutgers claimed he had a degree from Rutgers. There's two things wrong with those statements: he never gradutaed from Rutgers, and he never graduated, period.

What's worse is that Rutgers never bothered to check on this from their own registrar's office. And it's not like he's close to earning a degree either. And then there's this:

Umm, what??? They've listed him as a distiguished alum for nearly a decade and the guy is about 17 credits shy of a degree.

How is 17 credits short "not close"? Its a little more than an average semester of 15 credits. I walked at my graduation 12 credits short and finished them the following fall. Big whoop.
05-10-2013 05:11 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-10-2013 05:11 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 02:59 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://deadspin.com/coach-eddie-jordan-d...socialflow

How is 17 credits short "not close"? Its a little more than an average semester of 15 credits. I walked at my graduation 12 credits short and finished them the following fall. Big whoop.

I see one difference...
05-10-2013 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
My biggest issue with this - how does a school advertise a coach as a graduate if he didn't?

signed
Dr. Hokie Mark,
Phd, Rutgers
05-10-2013 06:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(05-10-2013 06:11 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  My biggest issue with this - how does a school advertise a coach as a graduate if he didn't?

signed
Dr. Hokie Mark,
Phd, Rutgers

LOL! I like what you did there. hehe
05-10-2013 06:21 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

Who cares, seriously?
05-10-2013 06:29 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2013 06:29 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Who cares, seriously?

If nobody cared, George O'Leary would still be the head football coach at Notre Dame.
05-10-2013 07:01 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2013 07:01 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

If nobody cared, George O'Leary would still be the head football coach at Notre Dame.

Given his record since leaving ND, I'd say he would be gone either way. Just saying.
05-10-2013 07:02 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

Lying on his job resume is why he was fired. They were hiring Jordan anyway, if he graduated or not. Also Rutgers already said this will not effect his job status. Why do you or anyone else care? Oh because they are the whipping boy this month. So everyone makes a big deal out of nothing. Boring!
05-10-2013 07:04 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2013 07:02 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

Given his record since leaving ND, I'd say he would be gone either way. Just saying.

Well, yeah, there's that. You gotta win in addition to being straight about your degrees.
05-10-2013 07:04 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-10-2013 07:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Lying on his job resume is why he was fired. They were hiring Jordan anyway, if he graduated or not. Also Rutgers already said this will not effect his job status. Why do you or anyone else care? Oh because they are the whipping boy this month. So everyone makes a big deal out of nothing. Boring!

ND considered O'Leary guilty of academic fraud and fired him for that offense.

They then hired Ty Willingham, who had a degree but was guilty of coaching fraud, i.e. falsely impersonating a real football coach.
05-10-2013 10:36 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2013 10:36 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

They then hired Ty Willingham, who had a degree but was guilty of coaching fraud, i.e. falsely impersonating a real football coach.

LOL 04-cheers
05-10-2013 11:04 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

My point is the difference is that O'Leary was in a large pool of people vying for that job and knowingly lied about his resume. Rutgers went after Jordan and would have hired him regardless if he had degree or not. The information had no impact on their decision. Also Rutgers doesn't even have an AD. This was a very unusual hiring process.
05-10-2013 11:31 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-10-2013 11:31 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

My point is the difference is that O'Leary was in a large pool of people vying for that job and knowingly lied about his resume. Rutgers went after Jordan and would have hired him regardless if he had degree or not. The information had no impact on their decision. Also Rutgers doesn't even have an AD. This was a very unusual hiring process.

Oh, I know. I don't really care about Rutgers or Eddie Jordan and whether or not he has a degree.

I am not one on here banging on Rutgers. They can make their own decision on this. Whatever they do is fine by me. It ain't my issue.
05-11-2013 09:10 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
He's got a Lennay Kekua degree?
05-11-2013 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Maybe 20 million from the Big 10 will help cure Rutgers problems of figuring out which coach has actually graduated from the university. At least the school is not falsifying records stating he did graduate when he clearly did not. It won't make much difference. I predict Rutgers will be in last place this year and for some time to come in the Big 10 in basketball. Hey, Rutgers could hire John Wooden, it would not make much difference.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 07:42 AM by Vewb1.)
05-12-2013 07:23 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

FYI...ND hired O'Leary obviously for his work at Ga Tech (as a coordinator and as a Head Coach) and as a Coordinator and Asst Coach in the NFL.

ND (obviously) didn't play much attention to info listed in GOL's bio from the 1960's and 1970's (which never changed from his initial job at Syracuse to Georgia Tech to the NFL back to Georgia Tech and eventually ND).

PS. Being an Irish Roman Catholic probably didn't hurt either.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 09:06 AM by KnightLight.)
05-13-2013 09:03 AM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

(05-13-2013 09:03 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 07:01 PM)Wedge Wrote:  If nobody cared, George O'Leary would still be the head football coach at Notre Dame.

FYI...ND hired O'Leary obviously for his work at Ga Tech (as a coordinator and as a Head Coach) and as a Coordinator and Asst Coach in the NFL.

ND (obviously) didn't play much attention to info listed in GOL's bio from the 1960's and 1970's (which never changed from his initial job at Syracuse to Georgia Tech to the NFL back to Georgia Tech and eventually ND).

PS. Being an Irish Roman Catholic probably didn't hurt either.

Ding!
05-13-2013 06:39 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
BTW when NC State hired Sidney Lowe as their head basketball coach he had not completed his college degree. Lowe was forced to complete college before he could start his job at NC State.
05-13-2013 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.