Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC-16
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
MWC-16
If the Big 12 expands, they're obviously going to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn. The AAC's contract would diminish severely causing most to want to leave for a different conference. If this happens, Houston, SMU, and Tulsa would go to the MWC.
Here's how I see it playing out:

MWC-16

West
Boise State
Brigham Young
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State

East
Air Force
Colorado State
Houston
New Mexico
Southern Methodist
Tulsa
UTEP
Wyoming

I also think BYU will return causing us to kick out Hawaii. What do you think?
05-11-2013 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: MWC-16
(05-11-2013 10:07 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  If the Big 12 expands, they're obviously going to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn. The AAC's contract would diminish severely causing most to want to leave for a different conference. If this happens, Houston, SMU, and Tulsa would go to the MWC.

MWC-16

West
Boise State
Brigham Young
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State

East
Air Force
Colorado State
Houston
New Mexico
Southern Methodist
Tulsa
UTEP
Wyoming

Actually that would be a nice conference if it ever came to pass, but UConn to Big XII? Nope.
05-11-2013 10:12 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-11-2013 10:07 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  If the Big 12 expands, they're obviously going to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn.
Cincinnati would be on the short list, and the B12 may wind up inviting them sooner or later. If so, good for Cincinnati. But no, it is not "obvious" that it will happen, even if the B12 does expand.

Quote:I also think BYU will return causing us to kick out Hawaii. What do you think?
If the Big 12 expands, there's a better chance they'll get BYU than Cincinnati or UConn (never mind Cincinnati *and* UConn).
05-11-2013 10:20 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-11-2013 10:20 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 10:07 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  If the Big 12 expands, they're obviously going to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn.
Cincinnati would be on the short list, and the B12 may wind up inviting them sooner or later. If so, good for Cincinnati. But no, it is not "obvious" that it will happen, even if the B12 does expand.

Quote:I also think BYU will return causing us to kick out Hawaii. What do you think?
If the Big 12 expands, there's a better chance they'll get BYU than Cincinnati or UConn (never mind Cincinnati *and* UConn).

The Big 12's options are very limited. BYU will not be taken because the Big 12 will be looking east, not west. Plus BYU already flirted with them earlier, there's no way they do that again.
05-11-2013 10:28 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
From what I understand Houston and SMU want to have exposure eastward, not westward. If the MWC wants to expand into Texas, then UTEP, UTSA, and Rice are their best bets.

I doubt BYU joins the MWC full time ever again. The MWC may be able to work out an ACC-ND type deal, with BYU, where they play five MWC games every year, and the rest of their sports are full-time in the MWC.
05-11-2013 10:45 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-11-2013 10:45 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  From what I understand Houston and SMU want to have exposure eastward, not westward. If the MWC wants to expand into Texas, then UTEP, UTSA, and Rice are their best bets.

I doubt BYU joins the MWC full time ever again. The MWC may be able to work out an ACC-ND type deal, with BYU, where they play five MWC games every year, and the rest of their sports are full-time in the MWC.

Where would Houston and SMU go if the AAC gets their best members taken away? They would not stay with less money just for eastern exposure, plus the MWC contract would go up a lot if they got Houston, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP, and BYU. I just wish Houston and SMU would see how well this would work out and leave the AAC before Cinci, UConn, USF or UCF do.
05-11-2013 10:52 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(05-11-2013 10:28 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  The Big 12's options are very limited.
I'm inclined to agree with that. But that suggests the Big12 won't expand, not that it will.
Quote:BYU will not be taken because the Big 12 will be looking east, not west
That's true, so far as it goes. But north, south, east, or west, BYU is still the strongest overall pick left on the board, and really no one else even comes close. Check back in a decade and maybe USF or UCF will have made a move. But for now it's BYU by a mile.

By the way, just as the B12 is (or will be) "looking east", the same is true for Houston, SMU, and Tulsa. In order for them to join a western-based league, the eastern-oriented options would have to be much, MUCH worse than the pending version of AAC. This is especially true for Tulsa and the Ponies, both of whom got badly shafted when they were in the WAC a decade or so ago.

Quote:Plus BYU already flirted with them earlier, there's no way they do that again.
One man's "flirting" is another man's "negotiating in good faith, but still unable to reach a final agreement". From everything I've heard or seen, BYU and the B12 were both honest and straightforward in their dealings with one another. They just both had some needs that the other couldn't or wouldn't fulfill. That may have led to some long-term bitterness or it may not have.

I don't know if BYU will ever be invited to the B12 or not. But I'm positive that no member of the AAC will be, unless and until the B12 and BYU have another long, serious negotiation. Whether there is any need for such a negotiation to occur, and what the result of it would be if it ever does occur, all remains to be seen.
05-11-2013 10:52 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
BYU isn't joining the MWC and Hawaii isn't getting kicked out.
05-11-2013 11:03 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-11-2013 11:03 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  BYU isn't joining the MWC and Hawaii isn't getting kicked out.

I have nothing against Hawaii, but travel is annoying. Independence would be best for them, we could also have a scheduling agreement like Notre Dame-ACC.
05-11-2013 11:10 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(05-11-2013 11:03 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  BYU isn't joining the MWC and Hawaii isn't getting kicked out.
True on both.

I was focused on the other aspects of Fan90's comments, but barring a Penn-State-sized scandal or something equally traumatic and unforeseen, there is a Zero percent chance Hawaii will be "kicked out" of Mtn. football.
05-11-2013 11:11 PM
UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-11-2013 11:11 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
True on both.

I was focused on the other aspects of Fan90's comments, but barring a Penn-State-sized scandal or something equally traumatic and unforeseen, there is a Zero percent chance Hawaii will be "kicked out" of Mtn. football.

What about Temple? They got kicked out of the Big East without a scandal or something traumatic or unforeseen.
05-11-2013 11:20 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Ok that is a very nice assumption of what COULD happen, but its not happening at least not anytime soon. The MWC should be looking at teams eastward and if I were someone in the know this is definitely something that should be looked at with the possibilities of UTEP being in the mix. I personally don't think BYU will budge from their so-called independence so remove them and replace them with UTEP in the West division. In the East division bring in Tulane expanding your footprint yet into another state that you don't currently reside in.

East - Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Colorado State, Wyoming, Airforce, New Mexico

West - Boise, SDSU, San Jose State, UTEP, Nevada, Utah State, UNLV, Fresno

That would be a better version IMO, but very doubtful it would ever come to fruition for several reason that wouldn't make since. Who knows it could happen for we have seen things before that didn't seem possible. Just my 2cents on the matter.
05-11-2013 11:24 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
It isn't a stretch to think that Hawaii could drop football. Articles this week from their school have admitted it is a possibility.
05-11-2013 11:40 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

(05-11-2013 11:40 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  It isn't a stretch to think that Hawaii could drop football. Articles this week from their school have admitted it is a possibility.

That was posturing by the chancellor to put pressure on the legislature to provide more funding. And by all appearances it backfired. Any UH administration that tried to shut down football would be run out of town. The odds of a Pac-12 invitation are higher than the odds of Hawaii dropping football.
05-11-2013 11:43 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-11-2013 11:10 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  I have nothing against Hawaii, but travel is annoying.

How annoying can it be? They're only in the MWC for football, so UNLV makes only one trip to Hawaii every two years, and only in one sport.
05-11-2013 11:48 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

(05-11-2013 11:48 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 11:10 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  I have nothing against Hawaii, but travel is annoying.

How annoying can it be? They're only in the MWC for football, so UNLV makes only one trip to Hawaii every two years, and only in one sport.

And the years Hawaii makes the trip to UNLV, UH puts more fans in Sam Boyd Stadium than UNLV does.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 03:09 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
05-11-2013 11:54 PM
Advertisement

sundodger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bow Down!
(05-11-2013 11:10 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  

I have nothing against Hawaii, but travel is annoying. Independence would be best for them, we could also have a scheduling agreement like Notre Dame-ACC.

You do realize that UH is only in for football right? You do realize that the years you travel to UH your school can schedule an extra game right? You do understand that many UH grads live in the western US, probably more than live on the islands.
05-12-2013 12:03 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(05-11-2013 10:07 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  If the Big 12 expands, they're obviously going to take Cincinnati and possibly UConn. The AAC's contract would diminish severely causing most to want to leave for a different conference. If this happens, Houston, SMU, and Tulsa would go to the MWC.

MWC-16

West
Boise State
Brigham Young
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State

East
Air Force
Colorado State
Houston
New Mexico
Southern Methodist
Tulsa
UTEP
Wyoming

that would be a very good football and basketball conference, the only thing I might switch would be utsa for tulsa, but don't tell those bird-frying copycats I said that.

Instead of kicking out hawaii, kick out sjsu
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 12:14 AM by randaddyminer.)
05-12-2013 12:12 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
This Coog Fan says thanks but don't call us we will call you.....

If you dropped about half of that lineup then we might I stress might be interested.

We have desire to play teams like Utah State, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc.

Nothing against these schools but how is that slate an improvement over even an AAC without Cincy and UConn.

We would just simply promote Southern Miss and kill CUSA's last chance at a consistent winner and one more.

Not to mention you are dreaming if you thing BYU is coming back. Why on earth would they turn down the B12 just to come back to the MWC.

We can all dream but this is a pipe dream.
05-12-2013 12:20 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(05-12-2013 12:20 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  This Coog Fan says thanks but don't call us we will call you.....

If you dropped about half of that lineup then we might I stress might be interested.

We have desire to play teams like Utah State, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc.

Nothing against these schools but how is that slate an improvement over even an AAC without Cincy and UConn.

We would just simply promote Southern Miss and kill CUSA's last chance at a consistent winner and one more.

Not to mention you are dreaming if you thing BYU is coming back. Why on earth would they turn down the B12 just to come back to the MWC.

We can all dream but this is a pipe dream.

How bout you tell us where is Houston's #ceiling 03-yes
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 12:27 AM by randaddyminer.)
05-12-2013 12:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.