Syracuse vs. Yale
Denver vs. UNC
Ohio State vs. Cornell
Duke vs. Notre Dame

SEMIS
MAY 25

FINAL
MAY 27
Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
05-12-2013 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
RE: NCAA LAX
Tough loss for the Terps today but Cornell is a machine. Best of luck to Ohio State next week!
05-12-2013 08:56 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Half of the 8 teams will be in the ACC next year
05-12-2013 09:42 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
ECAC has 2 in the quarterfinals, interesting that those 2 teams are Ohio State and Denver. Not exactly in the east coast Lacrosse footprint but them doing well should spur further growth in the sport outside of it's east coast epicenter
05-12-2013 10:43 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Kevin Massa at Bryant is a freaking beast. It was incredible watching him. An absolute machine when he lines up. He wins .700 of his face offs. And he's only a freshman.
05-12-2013 10:45 PM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-12-2013 10:43 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  ECAC has 2 in the quarterfinals, interesting that those 2 teams are Ohio State and Denver. Not exactly in the east coast Lacrosse footprint but them doing well should spur further growth in the sport outside of it's east coast epicenter

College lacrosse is going through some decent changes, including talent swings. Hopkins and UVA were not in the tournament this year, Denver has established itself as a consistent top program, and smaller programs are making a name for themselves. It's an exciting time to be a lax fan and I hope to see more programs stepping up to D1.
05-13-2013 08:23 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-12-2013 09:42 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Half of the 8 teams will be in the ACC next year

Yes, next year's Deathstar conference will be the stuff of legends
05-13-2013 08:26 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Go Cuse!

Looking forward to ACC lax next year! While I wish UMD were still part of it, their leaving should allow the B10 to field men's lax pretty soon and having 2 of the PCs sponsoring it is good for the sports growth
05-13-2013 08:35 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-13-2013 08:26 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 09:42 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Half of the 8 teams will be in the ACC next year
It also says something about the popularity of lacrosse nationwide...
05-13-2013 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
When we were at the spring game a few years ago, Ohio State had a lacrosse game before that in the stadium (free, they wanted you to see it). The few minutes of that is all I've ever seen of the sport. If Ohio State makes it much further, I might end up seeing another.
05-13-2013 08:59 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-13-2013 08:59 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  When we were at the spring game a few years ago, Ohio State had a lacrosse game before that in the stadium (free, they wanted you to see it). The few minutes of that is all I've ever seen of the sport. If Ohio State makes it much further, I might end up seeing another.

Ohio State plays Cornell on May 18th if you're interested in tuning in to see it.
05-13-2013 09:01 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(05-13-2013 08:44 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 08:26 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
It also says something about the popularity of lacrosse nationwide...

There is actually a lot of interest nation wide, the problem is that budget constraints and Title IX compliance have led more universities to drop men's sports rather than add them.

Lacrosse college players actually set up their own, independent D3 style league so that players could have the real college experience despite the stagnant growth at the NCAA D1 level. UMichigan was a member for many years before becoming an official NCAA program
05-13-2013 09:12 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-13-2013 08:59 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  When we were at the spring game a few years ago, Ohio State had a lacrosse game before that in the stadium (free, they wanted you to see it). The few minutes of that is all I've ever seen of the sport. If Ohio State makes it much further, I might end up seeing another.
Oh, you should have watched the one yesterday.

It was in the Horseshoe, but they very deliberately avoided crowdshots, since its attendance was 2,300, which would have left a lot of fans coming dressed as empty seats.

But the game itself was great fun, for a non-Lacrosse fan who likes the Buckeyes, because we won a lot of face-offs and so spent a lot of time on offense.

(05-13-2013 08:35 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Go Cuse!

Looking forward to ACC lax next year! While I wish UMD were still part of it, their leaving should allow the B10 to field men's lax pretty soon and having 2 of the PCs sponsoring it is good for the sports growth
At least Maryland gets a farewell tour next season. I'm sure they will be warmly welcomed by the rest of the ACC LAX schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 11:19 AM by BruceMcF.)
05-13-2013 11:11 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-13-2013 11:11 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  At least Maryland gets a farewell tour next season. I'm sure they will be warmly welcomed by the rest of the ACC LAX schools.

The ACC tourney next year will be brutal. The chants, signs, and constant reminders that this is Maryland's last ACC season will make for a rough ride.
05-13-2013 11:36 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-12-2013 08:56 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Tough loss for the Terps today but Cornell is a machine. Best of luck to Ohio State next week!

That didn't take long.03-lmfao
05-13-2013 11:50 AM
Jericho Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
(05-13-2013 08:35 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Go Cuse!

You get Maryland for one season. So it's something...
05-13-2013 11:56 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
(05-13-2013 08:23 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 10:43 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  ECAC has 2 in the quarterfinals, interesting that those 2 teams are Ohio State and Denver. Not exactly in the east coast Lacrosse footprint but them doing well should spur further growth in the sport outside of it's east coast epicenter

College lacrosse is going through some decent changes, including talent swings. Hopkins and UVA were not in the tournament this year, Denver has established itself as a consistent top program, and smaller programs are making a name for themselves. It's an exciting time to be a lax fan and I hope to see more programs stepping up to D1.

Not knowing much about the game until a trip to eastern PA to see my sister a few years ago, the growth in popularity of the game is impressive. The church I am a member of allows the park district of the community our congregation belongs in to use our athletic fields (our church bought a 25 acre property 15 years ago in an industrial park, much of which was unsuitable for building being below flood plain). As I came out of the food distribution event we sponsor last tuesday nite, I noticed a group of children playing a game on one of the field's that is on the lowest elevation of the property.

I couldn't make out what game they were playing until I got within 100 yards of them and was shocked they were playing Lacrosse as this city is far from affluent and would be considered middle to lower middle class economically and in suburban Chicago.

It's only a matter of time before more Midwestern based universities sponsor the sport.
05-13-2013 12:14 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 12:14 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  I couldn't make out what game they were playing until I got within 100 yards of them and was shocked they were playing Lacrosse as this city is far from affluent and would be considered middle to lower middle class economically and in suburban Chicago.

It's only a matter of time before more Midwestern based universities sponsor the sport.
Yes, Chicago is one of its growth areas.

As a spring sport in HS, Lacrosse tends to be more appealing as a second sport for soccer players than baseball, because of the pace of play. And the fact that it can be played by adding appropriate lines and goals to either a football field or an international competition sized soccer pitch doesn't hurt either.

The Buckeyes have been playing it for quite a while, but while some of their players are from BC, they also mentioned one of their players came from Hilliard, a suburb of Columbus. And if the Big Ten does start a Men's Lacrosse conference, its conceivable that the New Big East might hold onto their AQ in the Big East Lacrosse league by encouraging SLU to go from an MCLA club to a Division One team (that is, of course, assuming SLU is one of their two picks to expand to 12).
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 12:51 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-13-2013 12:45 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
I was at the Cuse/Bryant lax game yesterday. It was really fun...a fast paced two hours. We tailgated before the game...very small crowd though (tailgate and game). Sunday night, Mother's Day, and televised kept the crowd down. Very few tv timeouts and continuous action helps make this a good sport for the fan.
05-13-2013 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2013 12:49 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  I was at the Cuse/Bryant lax game yesterday. It was really fun...a fast paced two hours. We tailgated before the game...very small crowd though (tailgate and game). Sunday night, Mother's Day, and televised kept the crowd down. Very few tv timeouts and continuous action helps make this a good sport for the fan.
Yes, it has some of the continuous action appeal of Association Football, Rugby League and Ozzie Rules versus American Football ... and the scores come at a fast enough pace to avoid "when is something going to happen" that can hit casual viewers of a sport like soccer where scoring is less frequent.

Not that baseball is as low scoring today as when I was young, but I remember a story of a European visitor to the US who had gone to a baseball game. Their American friend asked them how it was, since they heard it was a game that generated a lot of buzz. "Well, it was 0-0 at the seventh inning stretch, so I left because it seemed like nothing was happening".
05-13-2013 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.