Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Summit League Expansion?
Tiger Rag Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Clemson
Summit League Expansion?
With Oakland leaving the Summit League will have just 8 members for 2013-2014. They also have an issue with baseball as they are down to just 5 competing members which is one short of the NCAA minimum.

Who do you all see being added to the Summit League? Adding one would put them back where they were at 9 while adding two would put them at a much more stable 10.
05-13-2013 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Summit League Expansion?
What about Air Force if they decide to go to the American football only?
05-13-2013 11:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger Rag Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Clemson
(05-13-2013 11:54 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  What about Air Force if they decide to go to the American football only?

You have any sources for that? I doubt they would leave the money that the MWC is going to be getting from their new TV deal.

I was thinking maybe North Dakota if they can convince them to save money on travel and leave the Big Sky.

That or maybe somebody like Utah Valley or Chicago State from the WAC.
05-14-2013 12:02 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(05-14-2013 12:02 AM)Tiger Rag Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 11:54 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  What about Air Force if they decide to go to the American football only?

You have any sources for that? I doubt they would leave the money that the MWC is going to be getting from their new TV deal.

I was thinking maybe North Dakota if they can convince them to save money on travel and leave the Big Sky.

Chicago State will not turn their back on the WAC without even playing one game there, not after receiving a D1 life preserver. Utah Valley is not likely to leave the WAC either.
05-14-2013 12:58 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I don't think the Summit is strong enough to pull any more schools from the WAC. On the other hand, the WAC isn't strong enough to pull any more schools from the Summit. At the moment they're both precariously balanced on the bottom rung of the Division 1 conference ladder, vainly trying to climb over each other.

But if either were to lose another member, all bets are off. For example if NMSU left the WAC for the Sun Belt, the Summit could probably get back UMKC and take Chicago State if it wanted. If the Summit lost NDSU to the Big Sky or IPFW to the Horizon, the WAC could probably get back Denver and take UNO if it wanted.
05-14-2013 01:48 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

They are talking about it over on the AAC boards.

I know AFA has said no before but the additions of Tulsa and Tulane has changed the math because AFA would be looking at playing in a division with Tulsa, Tulane, SMU and Navy along with having Army as a crossover.

AFA could also go to the AAC all sports it it wanted...that would give the AAC 14 in FB/12 in BB (with Army as a FB only).
05-14-2013 01:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(05-14-2013 01:49 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

I know AFA has said no before but the additions of Tulsa and Tulane has changed the math because AFA would be looking at playing in a division with Tulsa, Tulane, SMU and Navy along with having Army as a crossover.

AFA could also go to the AAC all sports it it wanted...that would give the AAC 14 in FB/12 in BB (with Army as a FB only).

Just an AAC wet dream, AFA is playing in the conf, w/ the members it's always had long time rivalries w/. They still play Navy & Army in OOC. 07-coffee3
05-14-2013 01:52 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2013 01:48 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I don't think the Summit is strong enough to pull any more schools from the WAC. On the other hand, the WAC isn't strong enough to pull any more schools from the Summit. At the moment they're both precariously balanced on the bottom rung of the Division 1 conference ladder, vainly trying to climb over each other.

But if either were to lose another member, all bets are off. For example if NMSU left the WAC for the Sun Belt, the Summit could probably get back UMKC and take Chicago State if it wanted. If the Summit lost NDSU to the Big Sky or IPFW to the Horizon, the WAC could probably get back Denver and take UNO if it wanted.

I would say it would take a raid by the Big Sky of the Dakota schools for the Summit to collapse, then Denver and UNO would have no other choice but to run to the WAC.

I'm not sure IUPUI or IPFW would leave the Summit so long as its viable unless there is a Horizon invite. I don't think either would leave unless forced to the ASun.
05-14-2013 01:56 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2013 01:52 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

Just an AAC wet dream, AFA is playing in the conf, w/ the members it's always had long time rivalries w/. They still play Navy & Army in OOC. 07-coffee3

The thought would be that AFA would play Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, Navy and Army in conference and then Colorado St/Wyoming in the OOC.

This way AFA isn't forced to indulge on a steady diet of former WAC schools on the schedule.
05-14-2013 02:02 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I think Chicago St. might jump at Summit invite, they'd have a lot less travel and D-II schools in the region willing to move up Bellarmine, maybe S.Indiana, UMSL. The D-II to D-I west is tapped out. It looks as if the A-Sun will get hit hardest and if NKU doesn't get a Horizon invite and Mercer, ETSU go to the SoCon, KSU to the SoCon or Big South, USCU possible to the Big South if KSU goes to the SoCon, then NKU would join the Summit w/ Lipscomb. Timing on who above WAC, Summit, ASC moves first to get one of those 3 to where D-II move up won't save the AQ is who will get raided by 1 or both of the other 2. If for some reason NJIT doesn't get picked up by the AEC or NEC soon then ASC or Summit will be their home.
05-14-2013 02:10 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(05-14-2013 02:02 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

The thought would be that AFA would play Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, Navy and Army in conference and then Colorado St/Wyoming in the OOC.

This way AFA isn't forced to indulge on a steady diet of former WAC schools on the schedule.
yup still an AAC wet dream, money is the same, travel is more in the AAC, MWC teams not named SJSU, USU>Tulane, Tulsa, SMU. Army is Indy as much as the AAC thinks they're in and they have always played Army, Navy w/o being in a conf. w them.
05-14-2013 02:15 AM
Advertisement

BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU

While I'm happy for Chicago State, I honestly don't know how they got into the WAC or why they would be wanted.

(05-14-2013 12:58 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Chicago State will not turn their back on the WAC without even playing one game there, not after receiving a D1 life preserver. Utah Valley is not likely to leave the WAC either.

I agree. Going back on what I said above I wouldn't doubt that they are just glad to be a part of a decent conference at this point.

(05-14-2013 01:48 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I don't think the Summit is strong enough to pull any more schools from the WAC. On the other hand, the WAC isn't strong enough to pull any more schools from the Summit. At the moment they're both precariously balanced on the bottom rung of the Division 1 conference ladder, vainly trying to climb over each other.

The Summit makes more sense for Chicago State.
05-14-2013 07:03 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini

UND would need a home for football. They like the Big Sky and separation it gives them from the other Dakota Schools.
05-14-2013 11:23 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(05-14-2013 07:03 AM)BirdstheWord Wrote:  While I'm happy for Chicago State, I honestly don't know how they got into the WAC or why they would be wanted.

Simple. The WAC needed to stay afloat and Chicago State also has the "market" thing going for them.

UNO looks WAC bound regardless of what happens. If the Summit loses more members there's a list of five or six conferences which Denver could end up in - that includes the bus league.

(05-14-2013 07:03 AM)BirdstheWord Wrote:  The Summit makes more sense for Chicago State.

Geographically yes. But the WAC now has teams in good markets: Seattle, Kansas City, Phoenix, the Rio Grande Valley. Even Bakersfield has some 350,000 people in it and is pretty much right between Fresno and LA. "Culturally," this new WAC is a better fit for Chicago State.
05-14-2013 12:17 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
(05-14-2013 12:02 AM)Tiger Rag Wrote:  I doubt [Air Force] would leave the money that the MWC is going to be getting from their new TV deal.
will be interesting for army (ind), navy (aac), and afa (mtn) to compare their media-$$$$ after a few years
05-14-2013 12:57 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
(05-14-2013 12:17 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  the WAC now has teams in good markets: Seattle, Kansas City, Phoenix, the Rio Grande Valley.
is metro-edinburg a 'good market' now?
05-14-2013 01:01 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-14-2013 01:01 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 12:17 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  the WAC now has teams in good markets: Seattle, Kansas City, Phoenix, the Rio Grande Valley.
is metro-edinburg a 'good market' now?

Yes it is now. 1.3 million people are in the Valley. UTPA combining with UTB is going going to pay dividends for the WAC. With soccer now starting in that area and basketball with an auto-bid, look for the Rio Grande Valley area to surprise a few people in terms of support and following. Not to mention being a possible soccer power as they will have one of the few men's soccer programs in Texas.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 01:08 PM by MWC Tex.)
05-14-2013 01:06 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-14-2013 02:15 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 12:02 AM)Tiger Rag Wrote:  You have any sources for that? I doubt they would leave the money that the MWC is going to be getting from their new TV deal.

yup still an AAC wet dream, money is the same, travel is more in the AAC, MWC teams not named SJSU, USU>Tulane, Tulsa, SMU. Army is Indy as much as the AAC thinks they're in and they have always played Army, Navy w/o being in a conf. w them.

Chicago State is a no brainer.

BTW are you serious about your statement that I have highlighted? Really? In what sense? Because Tulsa is really competitive. SMU and Tulane have a lot of cash.
05-14-2013 01:28 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(05-14-2013 01:28 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 02:15 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(05-14-2013 01:49 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  They are talking about it over on the AAC boards.

Chicago State is a no brainer.

BTW are you serious about your statement that I have highlighted? Really? In what sense? Because Tulsa is really competitive. SMU and Tulane have a lot of cash.
Rivalry, not on the field win %. Playing those teams won't do anything to say hey lets leave our long time rivals in the MWC.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 02:12 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
05-14-2013 01:57 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-14-2013 11:23 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

UND would need a home for football. They like the Big Sky and separation it gives them from the other Dakota Schools.
So ironic that the Summit League publicly humiliated UND about the Sioux nickname is the very thing that will come back to haunt it. If the Summit had UND, the Summit would be rather secure and only need a DII moveup from Minnesota or Michigan.

As long as the Summit can't offer a football spot, UND wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving. NDSU, SDSU, and WIU are more committed to the MVFC than they are to the Summit: they haven't seriously considered Summit football and even the Summit commissioner acknowledges that there would be political issues with Summit football. With Summit football, DII football schools like Grand Valley St, Wayne St, C Oklahoma, maybe C Missouri and Washburn would consider a move up. Schools like those have real no DI options at the moment except possibly Central Oklahoma with the Southland.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 07:23 PM by NoDak.)
05-14-2013 07:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.