Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Irish Need A BCS Bowl In 2013
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Irish Need A BCS Bowl In 2013
The Irish could be cut out of the Bowls... unless...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-bowl-spot

I like the Irish but this statement scares me a little:

"The five BCS bowls and the remaining 30 bowls all have contracts with conferences or specific teams for this year. Contractually if there are 70 bowl-eligible teams, Notre Dame -- if it doesn't qualify for a bowl -- would have to stay at home.

However, industry sources believe there would be some last-minute re-negotiations between bowls to make room for Notre Dame. A bowl could "pay off" a conference by allowing the bowl to take Notre Dame instead of a team from the conference it's affiliated with.

"I'm guessing there would be some bowls who would look to redo deals at the last minute to get Notre Dame," a source said."

This kind of funny business by a conference is a big reason why Missouri became so disgruntled with the Big XII a few years ago. So which contractually binded conference stiffs which conference school out of a bowl? At least this won't be a problem in 2014.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 10:19 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-16-2013 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: Irish Need A BCS Bowl In 2013
I don't know why you should be scared. History shows the ACC is more than willing to bend over and grab it's ankles for ND in regards to football, what would year early matter?
05-16-2013 10:58 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
(05-16-2013 10:58 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I don't know why you should be scared. History shows the ACC is more than willing to bend over and grab it's ankles for ND in regards to football, what would year early matter?

History shows? Please elaborate...
05-16-2013 11:34 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(05-16-2013 10:58 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I don't know why you should be scared. History shows the ACC is more than willing to bend over and grab it's ankles for ND in regards to football, what would year early matter?

you might be confusing the ACC with the Big East
05-16-2013 11:36 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos

You may believe that we "bent the ACC over" but many ND fans would say it was the other way around. 125 years of our history we had freedom to schedule whoever we wanted and not have to be told who to play. That has changed, for the first time almost half of our schedule is being dictated by a conference. Now none of this may matter to you or fit the narrative your trying to push but that was/is a big thing to a school who built their identity as being Catholic and independent(Amongst other things) I think both parties made out pretty well and I don't think we took advantage of anyone.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 11:48 PM by domer1978.)
05-16-2013 11:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
I think the issue is that if they don't grab the ACC's BCS spot that they have no tie ins to other bowls. This will become an irrelevant point because the number of tie ins for some of the P5 will go unfilled due to the coming playoffs and years, like last year, when the SEC didn't fill all of its spots. In that case the vacated slot would easily go to a 8 - 4 Irish team for the mid-range bowls. The real risk they run is when they are 9 - 3 and get bumped down to an open lower bowl because conferences with tie ins to the higher yielding bowls are not going to get bought out and they are not going to relinquish their spot and those spots will likely never go unfilled.
05-16-2013 11:44 PM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

(05-16-2013 11:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I think the issue is that if they don't grab the ACC's BCS spot that they have no tie ins to other bowls. This will become an irrelevant point because the number of tie ins for some of the P5 will go unfilled due to the coming playoffs and years, like last year, when the SEC didn't fill all of its spots. In that case the vacated slot would easily go to a 8 - 4 Irish team for the mid-range bowls. The real risk they run is when they are 9 - 3 and get bumped down to an open lower bowl because conferences with tie ins to the higher yielding bowls are not going to get bought out and they are not going to relinquish their spot and those spots will likely never go unfilled.

Notre Dame football has nothing to do with the ACC this year. There is no way they can get the ACC's BCS slot. They would qualify under the same terms they always have.
05-16-2013 11:48 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Come on now. An 11-1 Notre Dame will be an "at large" in an BCS game. And if they don't qualify for a BCS Bowl, there will be a bowl that picks them up; ACC or not. 0 way ND will be sitting at home.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 11:55 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
05-16-2013 11:54 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

ULM or some other unfortunate team will sit at home if it comes to it. Notre Dame won't get left out.
05-16-2013 11:57 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-16-2013 11:34 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

The entire ND to the ACC deal. What exactly did we gain?
05-17-2013 12:03 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(05-17-2013 12:03 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

We gained football games with ND on NBC and a couple million dollars. What exactly did we lose?
05-17-2013 12:05 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-16-2013 11:48 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 11:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I think the issue is that if they don't grab the ACC's BCS spot that they have no tie ins to other bowls. This will become an irrelevant point because the number of tie ins for some of the P5 will go unfilled due to the coming playoffs and years, like last year, when the SEC didn't fill all of its spots. In that case the vacated slot would easily go to a 8 - 4 Irish team for the mid-range bowls. The real risk they run is when they are 9 - 3 and get bumped down to an open lower bowl because conferences with tie ins to the higher yielding bowls are not going to get bought out and they are not going to relinquish their spot and those spots will likely never go unfilled.

Notre Dame football has nothing to do with the ACC this year. There is no way they can get the ACC's BCS slot. They would qualify under the same terms they always have.

I totally agree with you about this year. It's 2014 I am referring too. It's my mistake not to make that clear.
05-17-2013 12:32 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(05-17-2013 12:32 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 11:48 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

I totally agree with you about this year. It's 2014 I am referring too. It's my mistake not to make that clear.

ND can never "grab" the ACC's BCS spot. Even if ND does go to the Orange Bowl, it will not be at the expense of the ACC. ND would simply be the opponent to the ACC.
05-17-2013 02:57 AM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats

ACC gained nothing from my perspective. Some are claiming TV dollars increased due to Notre Dame but I have not seen any proof. It's speculation. Notre Dame will take an ACC bowl slot and possibly the top bowl slot without playing all the teams in the ACC (maybe 5 a season), without winning the league and WILL NOT pay or share it's bowl proceeds with the rest of the league. Last year Notre Dame got 2 million for playing in a BCS championship game as an unofficial Big East team or part of the league. Sources have said had Notre Dame played in that game or the BCS title game this year, it would yield 23 million. Plus, Notre Dame would not have to share a nickel with the ACC. Not to mention the fact that if Clemson and Notre Dame tie for the best record in the ACC, guess who will get the BCS bid? Notre Dame, Clemson will go to the second bowl. Good luck with Notre Dame. Honestly, from a Cincinnati perspective, I'm glad to be free of Notre Dame (and I'm catholic) and their nonsense. That's also why I would much rather see Cincinnati to the Big 12. Notre Dame could get in our way for years to come in the ACC if we happen to get a bid. It's also a primary reason Notre Dame would not sign with the Big 10 and why the Big 10 and Notre Dame could not come to an agreement. Notre Dame wanted the top bowl slots and Michigan and Ohio State and others would not put up with it at all. Notre Dame and it's needs would not make it in the Big 10. Notre Dame would get no special attention and therefore would not sign. The Big East was no longer an option and the school had to align with some league. The ACC were the suckers here. Big big suckers here.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 05:47 AM by Vewb1.)
05-17-2013 05:42 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

One of the biggest draws in college sports
5 additional nationally televised games
Increased TV revenue
Better bowl lineup
More content to distribute nationally for ACC network.

Need more?
05-17-2013 05:53 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(05-17-2013 05:42 AM)Vewb1 Wrote:  

ACC gained nothing from my perspective. Some are claiming TV dollars increased due to Notre Dame but I have not seen any proof. It's speculation. Notre Dame will take an ACC bowl slot and possibly the top bowl slot without playing all the teams in the ACC (maybe 5 a season), without winning the league and WILL NOT pay or share it's bowl proceeds with the rest of the league. Last year Notre Dame got 2 million for playing in a BCS championship game as an unofficial Big East team or part of the league. Sources have said had Notre Dame played in that game or the BCS title game this year, it would yield 23 million. Plus, Notre Dame would not have to share a nickel with the ACC. Not to mention the fact that if Clemson and Notre Dame tie for the best record in the ACC, guess who will get the BCS bid? Notre Dame, Clemson will go to the second bowl. Good luck with Notre Dame. Honestly, from a Cincinnati perspective, I'm glad to be free of Notre Dame (and I'm catholic) and their nonsense. That's also why I would much rather see Cincinnati to the Big 12. Notre Dame could get in our way for years to come in the ACC if we happen to get a bid. It's also a primary reason Notre Dame would not sign with the Big 10 and why the Big 10 and Notre Dame could not come to an agreement. Notre Dame wanted the top bowl slots and Michigan and Ohio State and others would not put up with it at all. Notre Dame and it's needs would not make it in the Big 10. Notre Dame would get no special attention and therefore would not sign. The Big East was no longer an option and the school had to align with some league. The ACC were the suckers here. Big big suckers here.

You don't understand the ND deal. ND CAN'T take the top bowl slot. OB is reserved for full conference members. ND can take the #2 slot if it's ranked high enough. That's okay because it still has to share that revenue with the rest of the league.
05-17-2013 05:55 AM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Not sure where you are coming from here. As I understand it...

ND can be chosen as a semi-finalist in the playoffs.

ND can obtain a spot opposite the ACC representative in the Orange Bowl (when that bowl isn't a semi-final game) as long as the Irish outrank the best available BiG team or SEC team.

They can be chosen for a non-semi-final "Event Bowl" by the selection committee, if they don't qualify in the two scenarios above.

And lastly, if I'm understanding the ACC/ND deal correctly, they will be in the pool with other ACC teams for any bowls that affiliate with the conference, getting a 1/15th share of all of those monies combined if they don't qualify for the three scenarios above.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 06:22 AM by omniorange.)
05-17-2013 06:21 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Lots of misinformation abounds:

ND cannot "grab" the ACC's BCS bid in 2014. It has nothing to do with that. ND has to get into a BCS bowl next year on its own, not through the ACC.

When the playoffs start, ND has to make it as an independent, not through the ACC.

ND will pool the money it gets from making it to a minor ACC bowl just like every ACC does. It will then get a share. It never keeps bowl money for itself (except playoffs) under the ACC deal. The Orange Bowl is a separate deal. That deal has been discussed here many times. ND would play an ACC team, not take the place of one.

The agreement is to play FIVE (not up to five, but F-I-V-E) ACC teams per year in football. It is playing every single ACC team, too. The conference selects the opponent, ND provides the available dates.

The first three year rotation has already been announced. People that thought ND would get to pick and choose some schools to play and to not play were dead wrong.

I can re-post all of these links again but Google is everyone's friend.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 06:58 AM by TerryD.)
05-17-2013 06:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-17-2013 05:42 AM)Vewb1 Wrote:  

Your perspective is both dead wrong and irrelevant. It also continues despite responses in other threads with links included to show that you are dead wrong.

You persist, nonetheless. It is irrelevant because Cincy will either be in the AAC or Big 12. Good luck to you.
05-17-2013 06:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-16-2013 11:44 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  

You may believe that we "bent the ACC over" but many ND fans would say it was the other way around. 125 years of our history we had freedom to schedule whoever we wanted and not have to be told who to play. That has changed, for the first time almost half of our schedule is being dictated by a conference. Now none of this may matter to you or fit the narrative your trying to push but that was/is a big thing to a school who built their identity as being Catholic and independent(Amongst other things) I think both parties made out pretty well and I don't think we took advantage of anyone.

The ACC deal is dreadful for Notre Dame. Any deal that gives a conference commissioner the power to fill FIVE slots in Notre Dame's schedule makes a mockery of the idea that the Irish are still an "independent".

Also, the deal means that Notre Dame will be a very rare participant in the BCS access bowls. First, ND can only ever play in the Orange Bowl, it can never play in any other access bowl, so that means that once out of every three years ND will surely not be playing in an access bowl (once in three years the OB will be in the playoff rotation). Second, ND can only play in the Orange Bowl, at most, once every three years that the OB is an access bowl, so that means ND can AT MOST be in an access bowl once every four years. And while it can play in an access bowl no MORE than once in four years, there is no minimum number of times it will be in the OB: If in a three year period when the OB is an access bowl ND is never higher-ranked than BOTH the highest-ranked available B1G AND SEC team (a very stringent requirement), ND does not get the OB access bid. I bet ND makes the OB as an access bowl team maybe once a decade.

Finally, ND's access to other bowls is via the ACC, which doesn't historically have very good bowl tie-ins, and their access to these bowls is subject to the same kinds of complications related to number of times ND can be chosen over an ACC team. Just as when ND was affiliated with the Big East, it is very likely that an ND team that is say 9-3 will end up playing in something like the Hawaii Bowl because of bad tie-ins.

Bigger picture: In the ACC deal ND is strictly on a "commission" basis: If ND doesn't make the playoffs (a very hard thing to do) it will not make much money or get much exposure from the ACC deal system. The ACC deal provides almost nothing, and yet that deal saved the ACC. Terrible negotiating by Notre Dame.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 07:18 AM by quo vadis.)
05-17-2013 07:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.