Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawaii changes back to Rainbow Warriors and new field to boot?
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Name Change
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...s-nickname

I remember when they had that as a current name.

Rainbow field and unis are back too:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/blueprin...-spectrum/
06-05-2013 10:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Hawaii changes back to Rainbow Warriors and new field to boot?
(06-05-2013 10:47 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Name Change

No, this is just some dork's goofy idea.

Something this tacky will eventually happen somewhere - the odds dictate as much. I just hope that it's not any time soon.
06-05-2013 10:50 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Awesome it's a much more unique name than just warriors. They could also pull off some cool uniforms and even field/court if they stayed away from spamming rainbows.
06-05-2013 11:16 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I like their Uni's now though. The all blacks with the dark green are nice. I also like the band on the left leg.

[Image: Hawaii-Warriors-football12.jpg]

[Image: colt-brennan.jpg]
06-05-2013 11:23 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(06-05-2013 11:23 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I like their Uni's now though. The all blacks with the dark green are nice. I also like the band on the left leg.

Unfortunately the leg band was lost when we switched from Nike to Under Armour and updated the uniform.

[Image: da83ce42-54fa-40b2-8b57-79363cc2ea97.jpg]

I still prefer the all-black home outfits from a couple of years ago.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 01:29 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
06-06-2013 01:25 AM
C2__ Online
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
They couldn't go back to those old unis. For better or worse, with as much as people criticize gays they might as well dress in all pink.
06-06-2013 05:18 AM
Advertisement

Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
This will make peoples eyes hurt, like myself, when watching a game.
06-06-2013 06:14 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
They need to go back to the Colt Brennan era jersey style.
06-06-2013 08:07 AM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
I really liked the UA jerseys out now. Would be a shame if they go, but whatever makes Hawaii fans happy.
06-08-2013 12:27 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-06-2013 05:18 AM)Caltex2 Wrote:  They couldn't go back to those old unis. For better or worse, with as much as people criticize gays they might as well dress in all pink.

Actually I think it would be great! The gay movement stole a great symbol. The rainbow used to be a symbol of the Catholic Church (Catholic means "open to the whole world," and the rainbow has all colors, representing all parts of humanity becoming one in the Body of Christ). A lot of older churches that I've been in still have rainbows painted in their basements or community centers, but only if they haven't been used in a long, long time.

It would be great if someone was able to hijack it away from them and return the rainbow back to being a legit symbol that a group can use without appearing to support homosexual behavior.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 04:29 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
06-08-2013 04:27 PM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(06-08-2013 04:27 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 05:18 AM)Caltex2 Wrote:  They couldn't go back to those old unis. For better or worse, with as much as people criticize gays they might as well dress in all pink.

Actually I think it would be great! The gay movement stole a great symbol. The rainbow used to be a symbol of the Catholic Church (Catholic means "open to the whole world," and the rainbow has all colors, representing all parts of humanity becoming one in the Body of Christ). A lot of older churches that I've been in still have rainbows painted in their basements or community centers, but only if they haven't been used in a long, long time.

It would be great if someone was able to hijack it away from them and return the rainbow back to being a legit symbol that a group can use without appearing to support homosexual behavior.

Stole? Had somebody copyrighted the rainbow before they started using it? Many easily recognizable nature symbols - leaves, flowers, rocks, water, animals, etc. - are used by innumerable organizations at the same time. It doesn't mean anybody stole it. The fact that you feel some groups have a legitimate claim on a common symbol while the claims of others are illegitimate says more about you than about either the symbol or the groups using it.

The rainbow has not been lost as a religious symbol, whether by homophobic religious organizations or those churches which embrace diversity, though, the rainbow is also a symbol of hope and promise. I don't know exactly what it symbolizes to the Hawaiians, but I am certainly capable of watching a football game between the Rainbow Warriors and any opponent without the need to make assumptions about the sexual orientation of any of the players on either side or allowing the presence of the word "rainbow" to turn me against them or for them, depending on my own feelings about the LGBT community.
06-08-2013 04:56 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The rainbow's origin in the Bible is actually after the flood in Genesis 9-it is a symbol of God's covenant never to destroy the human race with a flood again.
06-08-2013 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU
(06-05-2013 10:47 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Name Change

These look really good! I would be all for this happening.
06-08-2013 08:16 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-08-2013 04:27 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Actually I think it would be great! The gay movement stole a great symbol. The rainbow used to be a symbol of the Catholic Church (Catholic means "open to the whole world," and the rainbow has all colors, representing all parts of humanity becoming one in the Body of Christ). A lot of older churches that I've been in still have rainbows painted in their basements or community centers, but only if they haven't been used in a long, long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_in_mythology
06-08-2013 08:46 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
The cbssports article linked in the OP has a great photograph showing the UH football uniforms of 1959. Worth a look.

It's funny that the same article does not mention anything at all about the use of the rainbow image by pro-homosexuality groups, even though the desire to •Not• be associated with those groups is the main reason (it's probably the only reason) why the word "Rainbow" was dropped in the first place.

But anyway, it's great to see Hawaii reclaim a part of its own heritage. Hopefully they'll bring back those '59 unis, too.
06-08-2013 11:19 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(06-08-2013 04:27 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

They also hijacked the English word "GAY" too. Gay means happy...not homosexual. We hijacked the word "STRAIGHT". Of course the rebel battle..the stars and bars, was just that. A military battle flag. Most people do not even know what the official Confederate flag looks like. The stars and bars was ruined by the KKK and racists too. Lots of names and ideas have been hijacked. I am through ranting now.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:39 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
06-08-2013 11:36 PM
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
I think changing back to the rainbow warriors is a great idea. The tides have turned and the gay movement has made a ton of strides the past 5 years. If anybody has a problem with Hawaii changing to the rainbow warriors it's just proof that they are probably a bigot.
06-08-2013 11:37 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2013 11:37 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  I think changing back to the rainbow warriors is a great idea. The tides have turned and the gay movement has made a ton of strides the past 5 years. If anybody has a problem with Hawaii changing to the rainbow warriors it's just proof that they are probably a bigot.
Uh oh... there's that Bigot word. I do not care what two people do behind closed doors. Because we may not agree with the lifestyle does not automatically make us a bigot. Rainbow Warriors is fine by me. I have seen a rainbow in the South Pacific. I would name a team after that too...
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:46 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
06-08-2013 11:45 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Rainbow Warriors is a fine name, but they should go back to the all-black and dark green uniform. That's one good looking uniform.

And the blog with the rainbow colored field ... just no. If they want rainbow stripes, put them in the end zone.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:53 PM by BruceMcF.)
06-08-2013 11:52 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2013 11:52 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Rainbow Warriors is a fine name, but they should go back to the all-black and dark green uniform. That's one good looking uniform.

And the blog with the rainbow colored field ... just no. If they want rainbow stripes, put them in the end zone.
Good idea...
06-08-2013 11:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.