UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

I would agree generally with including each of these schools in these columns, with the notable exception of Creighton, who I believe is helped. I'm not sure I agree that these are the most Helped or Hurt.

I'd probably put Memphis in the top 5 most helped for getting into a more competitive league and New Mexico State in the top 5 most hurt.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 04:16 PM by orangefan.)
07-07-2013 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: Sporting News - Cbb schools hurt and helped by realignment
It will be interesting to revisit this list a few years from. First you need defined helped or hurt. Is it financial, exposure, lose or renewal of rivalries, a step up or down in competition that allows a program to thrive.

I could argue that the Cincinnati football was hurt by realignment but the basketball program was helped because it regains a chance to become one of the top brand names in very good but not elite conference. Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF, ECU, and Tulsa all go from a fringe multiple bid league to a conference that should earn 3 to 5 bids every season.

Once again Seton Hall, St. John's, and Providence lost most of their regional rivals but are now in a league that will allow their programs to grow, breath, and most importantly make the NCAA tournament.

UMass will be an interesting case, in weakened A-10 they along Dayton, VCU, and St. Louis could rule the league and return to the NCAA tournament a whole lot sooner now that Xavier and Temple are gone.

Charlotte's end goal needs to be the American because I am not C-USA basketball this time will work out. Yes they could be flagship but they didn't produce in the A-10.
07-07-2013 04:22 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Wow, Creighton hurt by going to the Big East? I don't think so.....more money, more publicity, joined by like minded academic institutions. It's a huge win!
07-07-2013 04:23 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(07-07-2013 04:09 PM)orangefan Wrote:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...whos-hurt/

Hurt
Charlotte
UConn
Creighton
UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

I would agree generally with including each of these schools in these columns, with the notable exception of Creighton, who I believe is helped. I'm not sure I agree that these are the most Helped or Hurt.

I'd probably put Memphis in the top 5 most helped for getting into a more competitive league and New Mexico State in the top 5 most hurt.

Yeah, I don't see Creighton being Hurt and I don't see the Irish being helped. I mean they went from one power league to another with out much of a change.

My five for each would be:

Helped:
The BE additions (Imagine if Stevens left BEFORE the C7 broke off?)
Memphis
The A-10 additions (The CAA is a wasteland now)
The WCC (Adding BYU is huge for them)
The ACC (No longer a two team league)

Hurt:
UConn/Cincy
Charlotte
Mizzou (The Big XII had more emphasis on BBall than the SEC has)
The B1G (Out of their 3 additions only 1 has any history of BBall success)
The Big West (They had and lost SD St and Boise before even getting them)
07-07-2013 04:26 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(07-07-2013 04:26 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 04:09 PM)orangefan Wrote:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...whos-hurt/

Hurt
Charlotte
UConn
Creighton
UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

Yeah, I don't see Creighton being Hurt and I don't see the Irish being helped. I mean they went from one power league to another with out much of a change.

Helped:
Memphis

Hurt:
UConn/Cincy
Charlotte

Once again, I think it depends on how you measure this. Cincinnati might have taken a hit on the revenue side of things with the TV deal but the Big East was not doing our program any favors. The Bearcats were not a legacy member and were hardly feature in the conference's ads and promos. Step back to the Huggins era when the school dominated the Great Midwest and Conference-USA. Competition in those leagues included Memphis, Marquette, Louisville (C-USA), and St. Louis and couple of other solid programs which is pretty much the same setup as the American Athletic Conference. In a lot of ways UC is coming back home while UConn is going to new dangerous place.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 04:34 PM by bearcatlawjd.)
07-07-2013 04:33 PM
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
(07-07-2013 04:33 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  

Hurt
Charlotte
UConn
Creighton
UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

Helped:
Memphis

Hurt:
UConn/Cincy
Charlotte

Once again, I think it depends on how you measure this. Cincinnati might have taken a hit on the revenue side of things with the TV deal but the Big East was not doing our program any favors. The Bearcats were not a legacy member and were hardly feature in the conference's ads and promos. Step back to the Huggins era when the school dominated the Great Midwest and Conference-USA. Competition in those leagues included Memphis, Marquette, Louisville (C-USA), and St. Louis and couple of other solid programs which is pretty much the same setup as the American Athletic Conference. In a lot of ways UC is coming back home while UConn is going to new dangerous place.

That does not mean that is where we want to come back in the end...
07-07-2013 04:38 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-07-2013 04:38 PM)Flying Bearcat Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 04:33 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  

Hurt
Charlotte
UConn
Creighton
UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

Helped:
Memphis

Hurt:
UConn/Cincy
Charlotte

That does not mean that is where we want to come back in the end...

Exactly, i mean i know the bearcats rather be peers with GTown, Cuse, UofL, Marquette, ND, Pitt and WVU compared to the teams they are with now. I know the AAC has some good programs in Memphis and UConn but it's not even close to what they had. The ticket sales will be hurt as well as less TV exposure. No disrespect to the AAC but the old Big East was probably the best BBall conference ever assembled.
07-07-2013 04:42 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-07-2013 04:09 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Helped

Utah State

Utah State definitely belongs on the "helped" list. They have a solid program and MWC hoops is a nice upgrade for them.

(07-07-2013 04:09 PM)orangefan Wrote:  New Mexico State in the top 5 most hurt.

+1. Zombie WAC will be the worst league for D-I men's hoops in the West, by a large margin.
07-07-2013 05:08 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Hurt: All the Cuse fans along the I-95 corridor that can't get easy tickets anymore for regular season games.
07-07-2013 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-07-2013 04:23 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  Wow, Creighton hurt by going to the Big East? I don't think so.....more money, more publicity, joined by like minded academic institutions. It's a huge win!

It's not your Father's "Big East"... It's an A10 lifeboat.
07-07-2013 05:20 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-07-2013 05:20 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 04:23 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  Wow, Creighton hurt by going to the Big East? I don't think so.....more money, more publicity, joined by like minded academic institutions. It's a huge win!

Shouldn't you have changed your name by now?
07-07-2013 05:34 PM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy

and the AAC is Conference USA 2.0. Atleast the Big East is making 4 million a year for basketball while the "American" is making less for basketball AND football.
07-07-2013 05:40 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Let me see Charlotte which has not played a down of football basically skips over FCS and lands right into an all sports FBS conference with two conference opponents closer than Richmond their closest A10 opponent, and the 49ers are hurt by realignment b/c they are now isolated? And they straddle the South/North Carolina state line, yet it's wiser for Georgia St than Charlotte to start football even though GSU doesn't even have an on campus football field? "Well slap me down and call me shorty"
07-07-2013 07:17 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion

Hurt
Charlotte
UConn
Creighton
UMass
Old Dominion

Helped
Houston
Notre Dame
Seton Hall
Towson
Utah State

This article couldn't be further from the truth. Solely considering men's basketball, staying in a league without VCU, George Mason, would in no way remain a good home for ODU basketball. Especially when you consider the additions of Charleston and Elon.

"But there’s still a greater appeal for ODU basketball to be competing against regional opponents Delaware and James Madison in the Colonial than distant foes such as UTSA in Conference USA."

JMU and Delaware have not been relevant to ODU basketball in well over a decade (Delaware has never been a basketball rival). Whoever wrote this, has no idea about ODU basketball nor the old rivals we will be rejoining in CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 07:44 PM by monarchman.)
07-07-2013 07:43 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Creighton is a winner in this setup as is UConn, Memphis and Cincinnati from a Basketball stand poiint. All should qualify with much higher seedings each year in the NCAA. All will play good competetion and should be at or near the top of their respective conferences. Georgetown , Villanova, and Marquette will be there every year. Xavier and Creighton could put together great runs over the next few years. Houston could be a dark horse if They can revive a Phi Slamma Jamma type Mojo. Temple could also make some noise again.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 09:10 PM by CardFan1.)
07-07-2013 09:06 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(07-07-2013 09:06 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Creighton is a winner in this setup as is UConn, Memphis and Cincinnati from a Basketball stand poiint. All should qualify with much higher seedings each year in the NCAA. All will play good competetion and should be at or near the top of their respective conferences. Georgetown , Villanova, and Marquette will be there every year. Xavier and Creighton could put together great runs over the next few years. Houston could be a dark horse if They can revive a Phi Slamma Jamma type Mojo. Temple could also make some noise again.

I can't imagine anyone seriously stating that UConn and Cincinnati have been winners in a basketball sense by these moves. They've been demoted and they realize it.
07-07-2013 10:45 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-07-2013 10:45 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 09:06 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Creighton is a winner in this setup as is UConn, Memphis and Cincinnati from a Basketball stand poiint. All should qualify with much higher seedings each year in the NCAA. All will play good competetion and should be at or near the top of their respective conferences. Georgetown , Villanova, and Marquette will be there every year. Xavier and Creighton could put together great runs over the next few years. Houston could be a dark horse if They can revive a Phi Slamma Jamma type Mojo. Temple could also make some noise again.

I can't imagine anyone seriously stating that UConn and Cincinnati have been winners in a basketball sense by these moves. They've been demoted and they realize it.

UConn can still be relevant but it will be tougher...see Memphis from 5-10 years ago. UConn will be under extreme pressure to win the league in convincing fashion.
07-07-2013 11:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
49RFootballNow Online
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-07-2013 07:17 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  Let me see Charlotte which has not played a down of football basically skips over FCS and lands right into an all sports FBS conference with two conference opponents closer than Richmond their closest A10 opponent, and the 49ers are hurt by realignment b/c they are now isolated? And they straddle the South/North Carolina state line, yet it's wiser for Georgia St than Charlotte to start football even though GSU doesn't even have an on campus football field? "Well slap me down and call me shorty"

This article is strictly from a basketball only perspective.
07-08-2013 12:03 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND

The article states Creighton is a loser because its a geographical outlier with little recruiting ability in the NYC-Philly-DC axis. Creighton's move helps with its Chicago and industrial Midwest recruiting, as the MVC didn't offer that. (And once Creighton left, the MVC corrected its historical Chicago mistake by adding Loyola). If anything, Marquette has to deal with Creighton in Chicago and DePaul will have less of a chance.
07-08-2013 12:07 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Would argue that there may be two big losers in basketball:

SEC (with exceptions of Kentucky, Florida, and maybe Mizzou, AAC schools could siphon off talent that would otherwise go SEC - playing basketball first schools in the north - UConn, Temple, Cincy - has a certain attraction to it, recruiting battles like Houston vs A&M, Memphis vs Tn, Ark, Miss St, Tulane vs LSU, Louisville gains an edge on Kentucky recruiting) If St Louis gained Big East membership, would Mizzou recruiting suffer in the SEC?

Lower half of ACC (UVa, Va Tech, BC, WF, Ga Tech, FSU, Clemson may find it difficult to escape the bottom half of the ACC, so the bottom becomes a permanent underclass)
07-08-2013 12:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.