Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt's first year in the ACC - OL and offense Discussion
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Pitt's first year in the ACC - OL and offense Discussion
I checked out the roster for this year, and it looks like Pitt is up to 15 OL players. That's better than where they were last year from a pure numbers standpoint. I averaged all the players for weight and they average about 305 lbs. For clarity, I counted 8 true freshmen or RS freshmen which I believe makes the 305 lb average weight temporarily low. Here is who I believe will be the starting 5 on opening day:

RT: Adam Bisnowaty 6-6/300
LT: Juantez Hollins 6-5/330
RG: Matt Rotheram 6-6/340
C: Ryan Schlieper 6-5/310
LG: Cory King 6-6/325

Average Ht will be 6-6 and average starting weight will be 321 lbs. It's possible that TJ Clemmings takes one of the tackle spots. He's 6-6, 305 lbs. Bottom line is that Pitt will be bringing another BIG OL into the season. Last year, Pitt lost LT Hollins to suspension and they did not have a true T on the line, which made them very susceptible to the edge rushers. This year, a combination of Hollins, Bisnowaty and Clemmings will give Pitt significantly more athleticism on the line. I predict the OL will play significantly better than last year, but I don't think the OL will be playing at the level that Chryst and Heuber want or expect.

I predict a heavy dose of running between the tackles plus 2 TE, TE/H-back sets to add more beef to the LOS. Pitt will have a good to great TE this season in J.P. Holtz, but not sure how the rest will do. Pitt has question marks at WR, LB and DL. The DL and LB positions will be good but are thin. WR will be a true question mark. QB will be better than last year due to the "loss" of Sunseri alone.
08-05-2013 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
RE: Pitt's first year in the ACC - OL and offense Discussion
I think this season is going to be a real bear for us. I just have a feeling we're about to be whipped on national TV against FSU on Labor Day.

There's just nothing about this team that makes me think they're a winner. Unfortunately size alone doesn't make a line because that's a nice sized line. Otherwise, I just don't see that much talent in the upper classes on this roster.
08-05-2013 09:58 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I'm with you, lutzy. I think Pitt is going to struggle this season and next season as well. In 2015, we'll begin to find out of the Chryst regime is working.
08-05-2013 10:12 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
For the record, Pitt hoops is going to be mediocre too this year. However, they should be back to competing for conference titles by next season.
08-05-2013 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I like the direction Chryst is taking Pitt football. He is taking advantage of the natural recruiting advantages you have. I'd like to see VT do something similar after Beamer retires.
08-05-2013 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
It's a definite transition year. I'm not expecting much. I wouldn't be surprised if Dorian Johnson gets a chance to start a some point in the season. Definitely sucks that Ronald Jones has been suspended for the season. Seems like Manassah Garner will probably get a long look at the other WR spot opposite Street. There's some talent at WR but it's very green. And as much as people expect Boyd to be some stud Day 1, I don't see that happening.

Could realistically go anywhere between 5-7 and 8-4. Anything above 7 wins is really icing on the cake.
08-06-2013 12:10 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Pitt's OL looked dominant in the one game I saw them play last year.
08-06-2013 01:29 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(08-06-2013 12:10 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  It's a definite transition year. I'm not expecting much. I wouldn't be surprised if Dorian Johnson gets a chance to start a some point in the season. Definitely sucks that Ronald Jones has been suspended for the season. Seems like Manassah Garner will probably get a long look at the other WR spot opposite Street. There's some talent at WR but it's very green. And as much as people expect Boyd to be some stud Day 1, I don't see that happening.

Could realistically go anywhere between 5-7 and 8-4. Anything above 7 wins is really icing on the cake.

I tend to be the optimist about Pitt FB - maybe a little too pollyanna. I do think it's unclear as to how good or bad Pitt will be this season. I strongly believe that they will be better than last year, but with a new step up in competition it will be hard to determine if the team's growth is greater than the improved level of competition, the same or still not up to standards. I think Pitt loses against FSU and ND. Pitt SHOULD win against ODU, New Mexico, Duke and Navy will be wins and the rest will be tossups.
08-06-2013 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.