Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PAC 12 to expand?
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
PAC 12 to expand?
Put this in the last thread, but the last comments by the OSU Insider open up a whole new avenue of conversation. He's saying that:

The Pac 12 is expanding and has started talking to the schools who would be leftover from a Texas/OU B1G expansion and will grease the wheels of the B1G expansion by making a soft landing spot for Texas Tech, OK State, etc. is what he said (guess this means K-State or Baylor) as the third school. But the fourth school the PAC 12 would take was a surprise. He says its between UNLV and Nevada-Reno right now for the last spot with UNLV in the lead right now.

He said that FOX is brokering the leftovers to the PAC 12 so that FOX will have coast-to-coast football. FWIW.

Also said talks with Texas were heating up

EDIT: It occurred to me that "OSU" insider could refer to OK State or Ohio State. I should have said Ohio State (though I do reference OK State as that in the next sentence).
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2013 11:24 AM by ringmaster.)
08-17-2013 08:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
RE: PAC 12 to expand?
Another ACC rumormonger.
08-17-2013 08:40 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(08-17-2013 08:40 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Another ACC rumormonger.

What are you talking about? This is from the OSU board and, if anything, it's a B1G rumor.
08-17-2013 08:43 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

How is this rumor any less valid than the B1G one that just spawned a 650+ post thread?
08-17-2013 08:44 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(08-17-2013 08:44 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

How is this rumor any less valid than the B1G one that just spawned a 650+ post thread?

And it's coming from the exact same source!
08-17-2013 08:45 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
The PAC likes state schools so I would guess it would be Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State to the PAC. If the Big 10 only plans to go to 16 then perhaps they take Texas and Oklahoma. I just don't see Texas moving to the Big 10 and that is why I don't have great confidence in this information. Texas is selfish, but not stupid. A move to the Big 10 alienates their fan base and gives the Aggies the inside track on becoming the most popular school in Texas. If only three go to the PAC with two to the Big 10 then 3 more schools have to be placed to void the GOR and dissolved the Big 12. So somewhere in this mix the SEC and/or ACC has to be involved as well.

I could see Texas going to the ACC, but not the SEC. If they go to the ACC they will likely do it to take a ND style deal and take a couple of buddies with them. That would be enough to get the deal done.

If the Big 10 takes 3 or more from the Big 12 then look for much broader movement than just with the Big 12. I give this less than 5% of happening.

This may or may not be true. But if we are moving to a more suitable structure for the networks something like this will happen sometime.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2013 08:57 PM by JRsec.)
08-17-2013 08:53 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
this must be why I'm seeing the B12 supposedly looking at a bunch of schools now...UC, UCF, USF, etc.
08-17-2013 08:59 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-17-2013 08:45 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  

And it's coming from the exact same source!

Because it is saying the Pac 12 would consider Nevada-Reno and would help the Big 10 get Texas and OU. I laugh at some of the stuff the Dude and MHVer3 put out, but at least there is some remote logic in those things. If an OSU guy is putting this out as something that may happen, they are totally clueless.
08-17-2013 09:00 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I call BS, the pac 10 isn't gonna help the big 10 land texas and OU only than to take Texas tech, ok state, k state, etc to dilute their product. The pac 10 would be better off jumping to a pac 20 and take 8 big 12 school's and dissolve the big 12. I think its still be TBD if its 6 or 8 votes that can dissolve the big 12. In any case, i don't see any chance, 0% the pac 10 would take ok state or k state without either jumping to 20 and taking along OU and KU. I could possibly see texas tech get a bid to the pac 10 though if everything blew up.
08-17-2013 09:04 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Does it matter?
08-17-2013 09:05 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
The PAC-12 turned down Oklahoma and Oklahoma State two years ago. Not a chance on this planet they'd now take Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, etc without Oklahoma and Texas.

Beyond that, the grant of rights protects the Big 12 from poaching for at least another decade.
08-17-2013 09:06 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2013 09:06 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  The PAC-12 turned down Oklahoma and Oklahoma State two years ago. Not a chance on this planet they'd now take Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, etc without Oklahoma and Texas.

Beyond that, the grant of rights protects the Big 12 from poaching for at least another decade.

8 moves voids it, and if FOX pays the PAC so that they don't lose money the schools deliver three central time zone slots for marketing purposes. So while what you say has been true and is reasonable anything is possible when a network like FOX is hungry for content and time zone placement.
08-17-2013 09:10 PM
ohio1317 Offline

FOX already has a lot of this content through their deal with the Big 12 though. It would have to be paying each school substantially more in the PAC-12 to make it worth their while since it would mean the Big 12 schools leaving the exit fees and the PAC-12 becoming geographically extremely diverse without big names to show for it. I have a hard time picturing how FOX would benefit more than that way than with the Big 12 staying around.
08-17-2013 09:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2013 09:15 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  FOX already has a lot of this content through their deal with the Big 12 though. It would have to be paying each school substantially more in the PAC-12 to make it worth their while since it would mean the Big 12 schools leaving the exit fees and the PAC-12 becoming geographically extremely diverse without big names to show for it. I have a hard time picturing how FOX would benefit more than that way than with the Big 12 staying around.

They had roughly 50% of the Big 12 deal. If such a move gains them access for Texas and Oklahoma against Big 10 name brands it could still pay off for them, plus it makes a splash for the FOX 1 & 2 channels. There may even be some ESPN positioning to keep tier 1 Big 10 rights in this. Who knows? I'll just be interested to see if there is any truth to this one. But if you look at the Big 12 there are two football schools with national credentials and one with strong regional credentials. Those are worth more against larger audience draws. The PAC just needs to develop a new time zone niche with central time slots. Then they have even more product to sell. But I'll guess we'll eventually find out.
08-17-2013 09:26 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(08-17-2013 09:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-17-2013 09:15 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  FOX already has a lot of this content through their deal with the Big 12 though. It would have to be paying each school substantially more in the PAC-12 to make it worth their while since it would mean the Big 12 schools leaving the exit fees and the PAC-12 becoming geographically extremely diverse without big names to show for it. I have a hard time picturing how FOX would benefit more than that way than with the Big 12 staying around.

They had roughly 50% of the Big 12 deal. If such a move gains them access for Texas and Oklahoma against Big 10 name brands it could still pay off for them, plus it makes a splash for the FOX 1 & 2 channels. There may even be some ESPN positioning to keep tier 1 Big 10 rights in this. Who knows? I'll just be interested to see if there is any truth to this one. But if you look at the Big 12 there are two football schools with national credentials and one with strong regional credentials. Those are worth more against larger audience draws. The PAC just needs to develop a new time zone niche with central time slots. Then they have even more product to sell. But I'll guess we'll eventually find out.

I believe that if the information is not true, and I have a hard time believing Texas would go north to a "Yankee" conference, it is certainly an attempt to create a seed of doubt amongst the Big 12 schools and to destabilize the conference much like some of the rumors surrounding the ACC early in the year (UVA & co.) were meant to do.
08-17-2013 09:36 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
(08-17-2013 09:06 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  The PAC-12 turned down Oklahoma and Oklahoma State two years ago. Not a chance on this planet they'd now take Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, etc without Oklahoma and Texas.

Texas TV market with 26 million possible viewers will open the wallets. If the PAC expands, they have limited options. Tech is the 3rd largest fan supported school in the state of Texas and that will definitely open some eyes.
08-17-2013 09:40 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

(08-17-2013 09:36 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  I believe that if the information is not true, and I have a hard time believing Texas would go north to a "Yankee" conference, it is certainly an attempt to create a seed of doubt amongst the Big 12 schools and to destabilize the conference much like some of the rumors surrounding the ACC early in the year (UVA & co.) were meant to do.

I think you give the conferences too much credit in trying to create instability. I think they court schools when they want them and think they have a chance, but otherwise aren't starting any rumors. Some ACC rumors started because the Big Ten was legitimately interested in several ACC schools and that did provoke reactions. 99% of rumors though have zero to do with the conferences or schools and are simply fan created and sustained.
08-17-2013 09:44 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-17-2013 09:26 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I am curious.....I know the two foootball schools with national credentials are OU and UT, and I assume OSU is the one with strong regional credentials. However, what about KU.....they have national credentials in basketball. I know the PAC was very interested in KU during the previous negotations.

If the PAC reaches out to the Big12 I don't see them overlooking KU basketball and their academics.
08-17-2013 09:45 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(08-17-2013 08:33 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  Put this in the last thread, but the last comments by the OSU Insider open up a whole new avenue of conversation. He's saying that:

The Pac 12 is expanding and has started talking to the schools who would be leftover from a Texas/OU B1G expansion and will grease the wheels of the B1G expansion by making a soft landing spot for Texas Tech, OK State, etc. is what he said (guess this means K-State or Baylor) as the third school. But the fourth school the PAC 12 would take was a surprise. He says its between UNLV and Nevada-Reno right now for the last spot with UNLV in the lead right now.

He said that FOX is brokering the leftovers to the PAC 12 so that FOX will have coast-to-coast football. FWIW.

Also said talks with Texas were heating up

I'd say the dude is trolling a different handle. The PAC 12 won't take Boise st bc of academics but they'll take unlv or unr?
08-17-2013 09:52 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
How in the world can anyone trust information coming from an OSU message board poster about how the PAC will expand? I give From the Inside's BS about UConn more credence than this crap. As for the XII leftovers, they aren't worth that much to the networks for them to be overpaying the PAC to let them in. It makes little sense and sounds more like someone is pulling someone's chain.
08-17-2013 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.